Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Interview with Henry Wilhelm  (Read 9385 times)

George Barr

Interview with Henry Wilhelm
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »

Michael:

this discussion with Henry is superb, and to have it available free to everyone is such a treat. You and Epson are to great to have done/made available and published the full interview.  Henry's absolutely right, you have done a lot for photographers and this one sure does appreciate your efforts.

Best,

George

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 05:12:26 pm »

Agreed. I fully enjoyed that video. Thank you very much for another high quality and informative piece.

Tklimek

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 05:15:48 pm »

I echo George's sentiment.....AWESOME JOB Michael....and thank you EPSON and Henry!!

This does raise an interesting question, which perhaps I'll post in the Printers section, but if I understand Henry right; if you are using high quality paper and ink; the matboard and backboard are really LESS of an issue.  It would appear that based on this interview that the use of "archival" (wink wink) quality foamboard and matboard only affects that part of the overall piece of the art (just the backboard and matting) and affects the actual print itself much less.  This is an important point to me.  When adding up the cost of a finished, matted and bagged print; the highest cost is matting (I double mat) and backboard because of the use of "archival" quality materials.  My cost could be cut in half if I no longer used "archival" quality matboard and foamboard.  Hmmmm....if the backboard and mat start to turn yellow in 20 years.....buy another one!  Comments.....suggestions?  This is counterintuitive to what I've heard other people say in interviews, etc. (such as Bill Atkinson).

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: George Barr
Michael:

this discussion with Henry is superb, and to have it available free to everyone is such a treat. You and Epson are to great to have done/made available and published the full interview.  Henry's absolutely right, you have done a lot for photographers and this one sure does appreciate your efforts.

Best,

George
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:20:08 pm by Tklimek »

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:20:45 pm »

All I can say is wow! Amazing synergy between Michael and Henry. Even has a plot: will Henry manage to enumerate all five of his enemies of permanence before the progress slider reaches the right edge or will he not?

Henry: you obviously need to record your memoirs. With all those anecdotes bursting out at every seam, it would seem a genuine loss to the photographic community if they were one day to be lost. Spend an hour going back over your life, starting with the Ansel period, jotting down a prompt for every anecdote that comes to mind. Then sit down with a digital voice recorder and simply tell each story to the mike. (If it doesn't flow, you'll need to co-opt someone to act as a silent audience.) I don't know that this would be salable - the audience is probably only a few thousand photography and printing freaks like myself - but based on the interview that audience would love every minute of it. And the beauty is that anyone who listens would learn lots about printing and permanence without being aware it was happening.

Todd wrote:
if I no longer used "archival" quality matboard and foamboard
My take is that using the more common PH neutralized matte boards, such as are used in local framing shops everywhere, would at least not take the print with them as they gradually go off to la-la land.

Another point that came to mind during the interview concerns OBAs breaking down over time. I think of the natural white of a non-OBA material (which is actually a cream colour) as being the colour an OBA paper would eventually "fade" to. It may be that the only consequence of that happening to a B&W print is that the image would go from neutral to warm. But for a colour image, the yellowing is effectively a colour cast that becomes more pronounced the lighter (more pastel) the colour. A blue sky with a slight yellow cast is a greenish sky. I can print the same image using my Epson 3800 on both Premium Luster and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, using the supplied Premium Lustre profile. While the Ilford is clearly a warmer paper than PL, the colours in both images will look fine in the shadows and pretty much so in the mid-tones, but in the highlights the image on the Ilford will have a yellow cast.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 01:26:43 am »

Hi,

The interview is both informative and entertaining. The only complaint is that I really would like to have a download able version instead of a streaming one.

Really good information, splendidly presented. As usual also thanks to the person behind the camera.

BTW, the Luminous Landscape Vide Journal was really nice, are there any more issues planned?

Erik

Michael:

Best,

George
Erik Kaffehr

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 04:44:50 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

The interview is both informative and entertaining. The only complaint is that I really would like to have a download able version instead of a streaming one.

Really good information, splendidly presented. As usual also thanks to the person behind the camera.

BTW, the Luminous Landscape Vide Journal was really nice, are there any more issues planned?

Erik

Agreed - wonderful interview and thoroughly informative and entertaining.

You can download the interview as a QuickTime movie if you have or purchase quick time pro.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

michael

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 06:06:27 am »

As has been pointed out if you have Quicktime Pro (not terribly expensive) just click on the arrow to the right of the main screen and select Save.

Michael

Ps: Yes, more Video Journals are planned, and we have a huge amount of content available. It's just that Chris has been busy for the past six months or so editing our recent tutorials. A new VJ should be next on his to-do list.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 06:20:52 am »

Thanks a lot! I'll immediately get Quicktime Pro. I just didn't know what I needed it for!

Erik

Quote from: michael
As has been pointed out if you have Quicktime Pro (not terribly expensive) just click on the arrow to the right of the main screen and select Save.

Michael

Ps: Yes, more Video Journals are planned, and we have a huge amount of content available. It's just that Chris has been busy for the past six months or so editing our recent tutorials. A new VJ should be next on his to-do list.
Erik Kaffehr

DarkPenguin

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:32 am »

Or just peel the link out of the source for the page.

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 02:31:11 pm »

Quote from: Dale_Cotton2
Another point that came to mind during the interview concerns OBAs breaking down over time. I think of the natural white of a non-OBA material (which is actually a cream colour) as being the colour an OBA paper would eventually "fade" to. It may be that the only consequence of that happening to a B&W print is that the image would go from neutral to warm. But for a colour image, the yellowing is effectively a colour cast that becomes more pronounced the lighter (more pastel) the colour. A blue sky with a slight yellow cast is a greenish sky. I can print the same image using my Epson 3800 on both Premium Luster and Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, using the supplied Premium Lustre profile. While the Ilford is clearly a warmer paper than PL, the colours in both images will look fine in the shadows and pretty much so in the mid-tones, but in the highlights the image on the Ilford will have a yellow cast.

Well, it's not as simple (!!) as this, mainly because it depends on the conditions you judge your prints under. If the light is UV deficient (like tungsten is) then OBAs make little or no difference. This is pointed out in the interview. Displaying the prints under glass (even ordinary glass) will filter out some of the UV component also neutralizing the OBAs. Judging a print printed on OBA rich paper under daylight when this is destined to be displayed under glass lit by tungsten will result in gross differences in the perception of colours (but this applies to a great extent to non OBA papers and you know that already I guess   )

I use both Solux D50ish tungsten and calibrated D50 fluorescent (gti) to judge both paper and print colour. OBAs will show up differently under the fluorescent tubes than the tungsten bulbs. I have decided not to pay too much attention to the presence or absence of OBAs, I just shy away from the overly cold looking papers and go for the more 'neutral' stuff.

Michael and Epson,

Many thanks for the interview.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:36:01 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

tjphototx

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 11:44:50 pm »

Michael:

Best,

George

Michael,

Thank you for asking so many of the questions I wanted answers to. Thanks so much for cutting to the chase as well.
One of my favorite parts of the interview was Michael's comments about buying all kinds of art paper and
trying to get decent prints out of the first Epson Stylus Photo printers before there were any coated art papers available.
I spent a fortune at Pearl Paint in New York City and I still have some of the papers I purchased way
back then.

Thom

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 02:07:01 am »

Yes, thank you Michael, Henry, great interview...and I loved the digressions and Michael pulling Henry back to focus like two old buddies...

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 02:40:36 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
Agreed - wonderful interview and thoroughly informative and entertaining.

You can download the interview as a QuickTime movie if you have or purchase quick time pro.

for me the option to 'download as quicktime movie' is grayed out and I have quicktime pro on my computer...i tried in firefox and safari,...no dice...any suggestions?...thanks...

when i click on 'about quicktime player' it shows me the quicktime logo with a small 'pro' placed over the lefthand corner...it says version 7.5.5 (249.13) and then on the next line it says Quicktime version 7.5.5 (990.7)...that's odd...two builds in the same window?...

also, when i click on 'registration' it shows the quicktime pro logo along with my registration code...so i think it's all installed correctly...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:45:41 am by momo2 »

francois

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 03:24:12 am »

Quote from: momo2
for me the option to 'download as quicktime movie' is grayed out and I have quicktime pro on my computer...i tried in firefox and safari,...no dice...any suggestions?...thanks...

when i click on 'about quicktime player' it shows me the quicktime logo with a small 'pro' placed over the lefthand corner...it says version 7.5.5 (249.13) and then on the next line it says Quicktime version 7.5.5 (990.7)...that's odd...two builds in the same window?...

also, when i click on 'registration' it shows the quicktime pro logo along with my registration code...so i think it's all installed correctly...
Saving the movie is only possible when it has been fully streamed to your Mac.
Francois

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 04:07:33 am »

Quote from: francois
Saving the movie is only possible when it has been fully streamed to your Mac.

thank you francois, that worked...appreciate the help...

M

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 11:47:47 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
...  I really would like to have a downloadable version instead of a streaming one....

Here is a free option: with Firefox, and the movie fully streamed, go to: Tools>Page Info> click on "Media" > find and highlight the movie > click on "Save As".

Hope this helps.

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 09:54:46 pm »

Quote from: slobodan56
Here is a free option: with Firefox, and the movie fully streamed, go to: Tools>Page Info> click on "Media" > find and highlight the movie > click on "Save As".

Hope this helps.

Or..... in Firefox use the "DownloadHelper" add-on.  It will easily save the QuickTime movie as well as many other media types.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 09:55:47 pm »

Thank you, Michael.  An exceptional interview!!!!!!
Regards,
Ron

Jim Esten

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 11:27:44 am »

Terrific interview.  I'm VERY glad to hear them concur on what a phony term 'giclee' is.  Allow me to offer what should be the final word on this issue.  The French word 'giclee' is not used by French photographers and print professionals, and never will be.  Pardon me for being indelicate, but the secondary, slang definition is sexual ejaculation.  End of discussion, no?

AndyF

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 01:01:18 pm »

The interview was much appreciated - a quick tutorial on printing technology and limitations!  

It should come with a cautionary warning though: after watching the interview you will finally accept that your many-ink dye printer was fun and a good entry to wide gamut, medium format printing, but it's prints have all kinds of fundamental limitations (attempting to colour calibrate for instance).  Off I go to see how much 13x19 pigment printers cost, let alone figuring out which one to pick

Andy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up