Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Scanners  (Read 4457 times)

San

Drum Scanners
« on: November 05, 2008, 07:53:04 am »

Hi All,

not sure if this is the correct section to post but can't seem to find another more suitable one.

I am looking to purchase a drum scanner to archive my slides which I had shot over the past 4 years. They consists of 35mm and various medium format sizes, the largest being 617. They are mostly documentations of cityscapes and historical buildings, with some of them not standing anymore. So, I feel I want the best quality, which, hopefully, I can afford, to archive them. And because of the sheer amount I had taken, I think it will be more economical in the long run to purchase something instead of sending them out for scan.

I had looked around a little and was not able to find out much information on the scanners, most of them being not in operations anymore. I had only managed to talk to the people at ICG. They are friendly and helpful but I want to look around more to explore other options. And because of my location (it's a very digitized place), there are not many people I can ask about drum scanners anymore.

I am hoping that the people here, who knows of other brands or are still using the drum scanners or had experiences with them, can kindly give me some inputs.

Many thanks and I really appreciate it

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Drum Scanners
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:17 am »

ICG Scanners are very good but you'll have to run the scanner via an older Mac with a scsi card. The OSX software usually costs extra too.

I went through the same reasoning but eventually chose not to go the drum route. I think a creo evertsmart or imacon X5 would be the better bet. The software for both is very good and has batch capabilities.

-N

Anthony R

Drum Scanners
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »

Imacon 848 and 949 scanners <--- probably your best bet. Loose less money in the long run, no worries about mounting, mylar, oil, etc. Very good quality.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Drum Scanners
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:05:54 pm »

Currently available, in the USA there is the Aztek Premier and in Europe there is ICG Scanners. You will find support for these products alive and well. Every other scanner has at End Of Life, without support.

If you buy used, you must make certain the software you get is the latest version and includes necessary dongles. This is critical to successful scans. I use a Howtek 8000 with Trident software and it works perfectly, but the software is at EOF. So, I have a dedicated old G4 Mac running the software.

PM me if you want more detailed information.
~ CB

San

Drum Scanners
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:28:27 am »

Thank you all for the replies. They are very helpful.

Are ICG and Creo/Kodak the only drum scanner makers left? I do not think I will consider the refurbished or 2nd hand machines. It's really not worth the troubles later on.

I am rather concern about the support that I will or can get from the computer makers once the support for PCI based machines are gone, or have they already? I am sure I can still run the drum scanner, but I really wonder about the comps.

I think my next best option will be the Imacons, but they are CCD based machines. I did not have good experiences with the scans before, but it could be the scanning operator. But of course, the differences between the 2 type of scanners are worlds apart.

No offence to anyone, I also did not have a good experience with the Flexcolor. I find it rather cumbersome and slow. But then again, I was using it with the Imacon DBs, so I am not sure if it's the same as the scanner's.

Anthony R

Drum Scanners
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:02:53 pm »

Quote from: San
Thank you all for the replies. They are very helpful.

Are ICG and Creo/Kodak the only drum scanner makers left? I do not think I will consider the refurbished or 2nd hand machines. It's really not worth the troubles later on.

I am rather concern about the support that I will or can get from the computer makers once the support for PCI based machines are gone, or have they already? I am sure I can still run the drum scanner, but I really wonder about the comps.

I think my next best option will be the Imacons, but they are CCD based machines. I did not have good experiences with the scans before, but it could be the scanning operator. But of course, the differences between the 2 type of scanners are worlds apart.

No offence to anyone, I also did not have a good experience with the Flexcolor. I find it rather cumbersome and slow. But then again, I was using it with the Imacon DBs, so I am not sure if it's the same as the scanner's.

I was a drum scanner for awhile and worked on many machines. I still make drum scans from time to time. If you've not done it before, there can be quite a curve.

The Imacons lack what a good drum scanner and operator can give you quality wise, but the speed and lack of mounting and such is a better pay off. Plus, you can quickly get scans and do different 'exposures', etc. to blend if needed to get separation (something I've found the Imacons to be lacking in sometimes). So, a little post pays off loads compared to old tech scanners, old software and the mess and hassle. I currently use a Howtek, but the best I ever used was an old ... can't remember the name right now, but it was as big as most peoples' bathrooms.

aaanorton

• http://
Drum Scanners
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 05:41:08 pm »

I'd like to revive this discussion a bit...

Anyone have any other ideas for high volume film scanning? How would a Fuji Frontier compare to a Flextight X5?
And as far as a X5 goes, do you use Phocus now? I can't remember if Phocus is strictly DB or not.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up