Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: G10, LX3, or FZ28 for Serious Amateur?  (Read 15147 times)

Dan.W

• http://
G10, LX3, or FZ28 for Serious Amateur?
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Hi, this is my first post!  Sorry I know someone had started a similar thread to this (LX3 vs. G10), however I didn't want to hijack their thread as mine is slightly different.  Also sorry if this should be in the “Beginner’s Questions” area, Mods feel free to move if required.  I just figured this would be more appropriate as my topic is more about equipment…

I don't have much experience with cameras and photography in general.  I just know I love it.  It fascinates me knowing that with the right skills, talent, and equipment, one can capture amazing images whether they are landscapes, portraits, or urban art, etc.  The only experience I have is with old cheap film cameras back in the day, and recently in the last 2 years with my Panasonic FX01 (the first camera with a 28mm wide lense...).  Also I recently got married and we skimped on everything else to do with the wedding, but paid top dollar for a really good photographer.  The photographer's were really good in letting me have a bit of a say (not too much cos' after all they were the professionals) in the style and type of photo's/composition that we preferred.  Anyhow I enjoyed that very much and then being able to work with them to organise our wedding "storybook" (we opted for this rather than the traditional album).

Anyway, that's basically the extent of my limited experience with photography.  I feel that I'm currently using my little Pana to it's max capacity and I think it has been a pretty good P&S compact camera, however I want to take my photography to the next step.  Also not quite wanting to go the DSLR route just yet.

I've narrowed my selection down to x3 cameras: Canon G10, Panasonic LX3, and Panasonic FZ28.

Here's my dilemma:

G10:
Classic styling, robust, great dials etc.  1/1.7” CCD (34 MP/cm²).  Proven Canon brand/product.  RAW shooting and buffer.  3" LCD with great visibility.  5x optical Zoom (f2.8 – 4.5).  However: poor video quality, 28mm wide lens compared to LX3.

LX3:
Compact design, robust, fairly easy to operate (i.e. accessing MF via joystick).  1/1.63” CCD (24 MP/cm²) = extremely sensitive.  RAW shooting and buffer.  3” LCD with great visibility.  24mm wide lens (f2.0 – f2.8).  720p HD video rec.  However: 2.5x optical zoom compared to G10 or FZ28.

FZ28 (superzoom):
DSLR/traditional design, good build quality (not metal though), easy operation.  27mm wide lens (f2.8 – f4.4).  18x optical zoom.  720p HD video rec.  RAW shooting and buffer.  However:  2.7” LCD with average visibility.  1/2.33” CCD (36 MP/cm²) = less sensitive.  

As far as I can see the LX3 is a beautiful camera and that would be the one I’d choose hands down except for the lack of optical zoom.  I struggle to think that 2.5x would be enough in most circumstances.  Whatever camera I purchase will be my primary camera, not one to compliment a DSLR as a P&S compact.  

That’s why the FZ28 is still a consideration for me, as it has 18x optical zoom, decent lens, 720p HD rec (not a top priority, but a nice addition to have), and a half decent CCD (until the LX3 came along).

However the G10 seems to somewhat fit in between the 2 Pana’s with it’s 5x optical zoom (I’d still like more), half decent CCD, half decent lens, but then doesn’t rec in decent video quality and costs roughly the same as the LX3…

Is there another camera I should be considering?  Is there another camera about to be released that I should wait for?  I know some people say the menus and user interface of the Pana’s are sometimes not the friendliest, however this doesn’t bother me as I should be able to work it out given my experience with my FX01.

I’d like to hear what experienced photographers have to say about the various pros and cons, it seems to me that each camera excels in one area, are where the other’s don’t, and I’l like to know if these features are really that important.  And all the reviews on each camera I’ve read are positive, so I’m absolutely torn between the 3 of them.

Thanks for your comments.

PS. Please forgive me for writing such a long post  

Dan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:00:08 am by Dan.W »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:35:05 pm »

Have you checked out MR's reviews of the LX3 and G10 on this site?

I'd get either the LX3 or G10 based on lens range or pocketability.  Whichever is more important.  Superzoom point and shoots are pretty iffy.

Dan.W

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:46:07 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Have you checked out MR's reviews of the LX3 and G10 on this site?

I'd get either the LX3 or G10 based on lens range or pocketability.  Whichever is more important.  Superzoom point and shoots are pretty iffy.

Yes thanks. I checked out MR's reviews before creating this topic, and found them very informative, which confused me even more because the G10 and LX3 are such good cameras in their own right...  And had the LX3 come out with 5x optical zoom and a CCD with 14.7mp (although keeping with the 24 MP/cm² density), the LX3 would be undoubtedly the clear winner (LX4 maybe ?), so I find it hard to justify paying roughly the same amount for the G10 as the LX3 when most of it's features aren't that groundbreaking, apart from a 14.7mp CCD (which doesn't necessarily improve image quality).  I would definatley buy the G10 over the LX3 and FZ28 if it was priced $150 - $200 (AUD) less.

Whereas the FZ28 costs consideranly less than either the G10 or LX3 (probably becasue it's about 10months old now), yet comes equiped with fairly decent lens (f2.8 - f4.4) and CCD (density) which are both comparable to the G10's specs...  Plus 720p vid quality (with the ability to zoom while filming).  On a side note: I would imagine that the image quality of a superzoom at the tele end (in the FZ28's case, 18x) wouldn't be all that special, however wouldn't it be quite comparable to these compact P&S at the wide end or even at say, 3x?  Having the flexibility to zoom 18x is just a bonus, on the other hand being limited to only 2.5x or maybe even 5x might be a bit too restrictive...?

Thanks, Dan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:47:15 am by Dan.W »

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:36:44 am »

Thom Hogan, who is an expert on all things Nikon, compared the G10, LX3 and the P6000.  

http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

His bottom line is that he liked both the G10 ("Surprisingly good update to the G9, with excellent image quality at low ISO")  and the LX3 ("The sensor and in-camera processing holds this camera back in all respects. Otherwise, it would have been my top choice.").

I find him one of the more thoughtful writers on digital photography equipment and think his comparison is a must-read for anyone considering any of these cameras.

Paul

ps: full disclosure: I bought a G10 last weekend (in part due to Michael's review) and am seriously in the honeymoon phase.  But I think the camera is a great complement to my DSLRs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:41:09 am by PaulS »

Dan.W

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 03:25:03 am »

Quote from: PaulS
Thom Hogan, who is an expert on all things Nikon, compared the G10, LX3 and the P6000.  

http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

His bottom line is that he liked both the G10 ("Surprisingly good update to the G9, with excellent image quality at low ISO")  and the LX3 ("The sensor and in-camera processing holds this camera back in all respects. Otherwise, it would have been my top choice.").

Thanks for that link.

I enjoyed reading Thom's review, however his conclusions about the LX3's image quality and noise levels at ISO 400 seemed to contradict a review performed by dpreview ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/page12.asp ) recently - pitching once again the LX3, G10, and P6000 against each other.  Concluding that at ISO 400 the G10 and P6000 had to work harder to reduce noise whereas the LX3 kept image quality closest to it's original pic taken at ISO 100.  And if you read further on, they claim this remains true as you increase ISO further (obviously ISO 400 would be the absolute max one would want to reach with these P&S).

Dan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:26:29 am by Dan.W »

dalethorn

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:26:55 am »

I have a lot of experience now with the LX3, and while it's OK in good light, the detail turns to total smear in low light. The Canon will produce vastly better images.

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:51:16 am »

It's not clear to me from your original post just what your FX01 is not giving you that you want. An itemized list might help focus the responses you get. I could say: go with camera X, avoid camera Y, but in saying so I'd unconsciously be making assumptions based on my own wants/needs.

Actually, I really want to say: avoid all three cameras and all pocket cameras period, if the goal is to buy one camera for all one's photographic needs. But that involves presumptions about image quality and subject matter that most likely do not apply. You may actually get better feedback on one of the dpreview fora than here, because most of the regular posters here will likely have a hard time adopting the requisite mind set.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 09:32:20 am »

Quote from: Dan.W
However I want to take my photography to the next step.  Also not quite wanting to go the DSLR route just yet.

In the previous post, Dale Cotton 2 makes a good point about asking what is it about the FX01 that "is not giving you what you want."  And I'd like to extend that thought to your comment about wanting to take your photography to the "next step."

First, what sort of photography do you currently enjoy (e.g., candid, landscape, etc)?  Does the "next step" mean doing these types of photography better (more easily, higher image quality, etc), or extending to other kinds of photography (for example, sports), or both?

If you can help us with your thoughts, it might make giving recommendations easier.

Paul

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 10:37:11 am »

Two skills you will want to develop as a serious amateur would be RAW conversions and ETTR (Exposing To The Right) Both of which are easy to master on the G10 (when ACR supports the G10!) I owned a LX1, G9 and now a G10, the exposure compensation dial on the G10 is invaluable.
My 2 cents
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Dale_Cotton2

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 11:31:47 am »

Marc wrote:
ETTR (Exposing To The Right) ... the exposure compensation dial on the G10
Not to hijack Dan's thread, but, Marc: you're talking my language. Do I understand that with the G10 you would work in perhaps Av or Tv, take a test shot, then compensate for blown highlights? Or perhaps even compensate in real time off a live histogram and/or blinking highlights? Incidentally, I can do this on my LX1 too (with live histogram) using just the 4-way with my right thumb, so it will apply to the LX3 also.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:33:34 am by Dale_Cotton2 »

Paul Sumi

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 12:18:32 pm »

Quote from: Dale_Cotton2
Marc wrote:

Not to hijack Dan's thread, but, Marc: you're talking my language. Do I understand that with the G10 you would work in perhaps Av or Tv, take a test shot, then compensate for blown highlights? Or perhaps even compensate in real time off a live histogram and/or blinking highlights? Incidentally, I can do this on my LX1 too (with live histogram) using just the 4-way with my right thumb, so it will apply to the LX3 also.

The answer is yes.  You can dial in plus/minus 2 stops of compensation in 1/3rd stop increments.  The G10 also has a live histogram (luminance only, not RGB), and shows flashing highlights and histogram in review mode.

Paul

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:14 pm »

Quote from: Dan.W
I enjoyed reading Thom's review, however his conclusions about the LX3's image quality and noise levels at ISO 400 seemed to contradict a review performed by dpreview ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/page12.asp ) recently - pitching once again the LX3, G10, and P6000 against each other.  Concluding that at ISO 400 the G10 and P6000 had to work harder to reduce noise whereas the LX3 kept image quality closest to it's original pic taken at ISO 100.  And if you read further on, they claim this remains true as you increase ISO further (obviously ISO 400 would be the absolute max one would want to reach with these P&S).

Dan

DPR tests ISO based on in-camera JPEGs; go back and read Thom's article and you will see that he evaluates a camera based on its RAW files, so there is no contradiction since they are looking at different things.

Plekto

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 07:50:22 pm »

Actually, I really want to say: avoid all three cameras and all pocket cameras period, if the goal is to buy one camera for all one's photographic needs. But that involves presumptions about image quality and subject matter that most likely do not apply. You may actually get better feedback on one of the dpreview fora than here, because most of the regular posters here will likely have a hard time adopting the requisite mind set.

I'd second this recommendation.  The Rebel XS or similar are hardly any more heavy but offer vastly better choices and results.  For not a whole lot more money.

Specs on the G10:
14MP
4.3x3.1x1.8
14.5 Oz
$499

Specs on the XS:
10MP
4.96x3.8x2.4
15.9 Oz. (plus 6-8 for a compact lens)
$599(note below)

Given the better lenses, you'll likely never see any difference between the two.  Half a pound more for the XS with a lens is a very good deal(IMO).

Here's a basic Canon AE1 for comparison:
Size: 5 9/16X3 7/16X 1 7/8
Weight: 20 13/16 ozs. body only.   27-7/8" ozs. with the 50mm f/1.8 S.C. Iens.

Smaller and lighter than even a basic old manual camera.  I'm a big fan of the Digital Rebels for low cost shooting.  

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...shs=canon+1000d
$506 for the black one with the basic compact zoom lens.  At this price, the G10 isn't such a miracle.

edit: the XSi is about $150 more and is 12MP plus has a few more features.  10 with good lenses vs 14 with one lens... kind of a wash.

edit 2 (sorry - heh):
The Olympus E420 also is a decent choice.  It's very small and light and still has roughly the same features as the rebel XS.  

5.1X3.6X2.1 inches
13.4 Oz.
$447 at B&H Photo for the basic camera and lens.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:09:51 pm by Plekto »

Dan.W

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 12:00:34 am »

It's not clear to me from your original post just what your FX01 is not giving you that you want. An itemized list might help focus the responses you get. I could say: go with camera X, avoid camera Y, but in saying so I'd unconsciously be making assumptions based on my own wants/needs.

Quote from: PaulS
In the previous post, Dale Cotton 2 makes a good point about asking what is it about the FX01 that "is not giving you what you want."  And I'd like to extend that thought to your comment about wanting to take your photography to the "next step."

If you can help us with your thoughts, it might make giving recommendations easier.

Sorry, thanks for the tip.

What I mean by the term, take my photography to the "next step", is: experiment with RAW, higher resolution (FX01 is 6mp) for larger than 6x4 prints, increased low light image quality, and definaltely want the ability to use everything from 'full auto' to 'manual' settings.  The FX01 I believe has been a great performer in the compact P&S category, but I definaltey want to step up to something with RAW, manual controls, larger (or higher quality) CCD, and better lens (although the FX01 has Leica 28mm - 102mm, f/2.8 - f5.6 - so with my next camera I'd like to improve on this, at least at the wide end).

As far as style or what I like to shoot, and excuse me as I am a newbie, it is hard to say.  But i definatley like shooting landscapes and have a fascination with urban photography/art.  It might sound silly, but I also very much like night shooting, but have pretty much given up on that becasue my FX01 isn't very good at all.  However I have had fun with it's 15, 30, and 60s shutter speeds...

Dan

Dan.W

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:39 am »

Quote from: Tony Beach
DPR tests ISO based on in-camera JPEGs; go back and read Thom's article and you will see that he evaluates a camera based on its RAW files, so there is no contradiction since they are looking at different things.

Thanks, Tony, for clearing that up.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 01:07:27 am »

Marc wrote:

Yes the G10 has a dedicated knob on the top left for exposure compensation in Program, Av, Tv and probably others and a luminosity histogram with blinkies in the display mode, a luminosity histogram in live view. easy to get it right
Marc
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:13:58 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:58 am »

Quote from: Plekto
I'd second this recommendation.  The Rebel XS or similar are hardly any more heavy but offer vastly better choices and results.  For not a whole lot more money.

Specs on the G10:
14MP
4.3x3.1x1.8
14.5 Oz
$499

Specs on the XS:
10MP
4.96x3.8x2.4
15.9 Oz. (plus 6-8 for a compact lens)
$599(note below)

Given the better lenses, you'll likely never see any difference between the two.  Half a pound more for the XS with a lens is a very good deal(IMO).

Here's a basic Canon AE1 for comparison:
Size: 5 9/16X3 7/16X 1 7/8
Weight: 20 13/16 ozs. body only.   27-7/8" ozs. with the 50mm f/1.8 S.C. Iens.

Smaller and lighter than even a basic old manual camera.  I'm a big fan of the Digital Rebels for low cost shooting.  

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...shs=canon+1000d
$506 for the black one with the basic compact zoom lens.  At this price, the G10 isn't such a miracle.

edit: the XSi is about $150 more and is 12MP plus has a few more features.  10 with good lenses vs 14 with one lens... kind of a wash.

edit 2 (sorry - heh):
The Olympus E420 also is a decent choice.  It's very small and light and still has roughly the same features as the rebel XS.  

5.1X3.6X2.1 inches
13.4 Oz.
$447 at B&H Photo for the basic camera and lens.

I think it comes down to a choice between volume, picture quality and $$$ as an example I lined up my choices
G10, Xsi/18-200 OS, 5D 3 lenses/flash, Mamiya AFDII/PhaseOne P30 and lenses etc
[attachment=9492:P1010337.jpg]
From left to right the volume, price and image quality go up. If you have the space and budget by all means BTTR (Buy To The Right!)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Dale_Cotton2

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:17 am »

First: thanks, Paul and Marc, for clarifying re the G10 exposure controls.

Dan: given your new input I'm pretty confident we can now rule out the FZ28. Just as there is a strange scarcity of trucks and semis competing in the Indy 500, so there is unfortunately no single camera that does everything well. The FZ28 superficially seems to contradict my statement; it has a 27mm-e to 486mm-e zoom, 10 mp, macro, IS, video, raw, etc., all weighing in at less than 1 lb (1/2 kilo). It certainly does everything; but the question is whether it does anything well, let alone everything well:

Problem 1. Experienced photographers are skeptical of mega-zoom lenses because the optical compromises involved in combining both wide angle and telephoto in one package may well be permanently insurmountable. In contrast, the LX3 design team didn't limit the lens to 24-60 out of some perverse masochism, they did so because any greater range would have adversely impacted image quality. I assume the trade-off was between adding more telephoto as the G10 designers opted to do or going for a faster maximum aperture (f/2). The only real solution to endless zoom range is an interchangeable lens camera, in spite the downside of having to swap glass.

Problem 2. 10 mp is more than enough for all but the largest prints of many types of subject matter, but at 36 MP/cm² density they become something of a joke. There is lots that manufacturers can do to disguise this fact but none of it is good news for image quality. As physicist Emil Martinec recently pointed out in another thread on this forum, the G10 at its lowest ISO has as much noise in its output as a good dSLR at (if I remember correctly) 1600 ISO. [His testing shows that the LX3 is somewhat cleaner than the G10.]

The above two factors alone are enough for me to rule out recommending the FZ28 for anyone who wants to take a step up above the FX01 if image quality is a factor. As to the other two cameras, I've been following the G10 and LX3 quite closely, but so far haven't seen anything decisively favouring one over the other for my own needs, let alone for anyone else's. The 24-60/f2-2.8 lens of the LX3 is designed for a combination of low light and up-close photography, including interiors, snapshots, and what we call street. For landscape many would be happy being limited to 24-60 and just as many would not.

You also ask whether there are any other cameras you should be considering. The Ricoh GX200 comes to mind, but I've seen no objective data on it's noise levels, so I can't comment further. Look at Marc's BTTR line-up in the previous post. The G10 (which could have been the LX3) is left-most for a reason. The most glaringly obvious set of cameras you should be considering are the small dSLRs and the new Panasonic G1, but you've ruled that out. To me that's like saying: I want to find a better job but I absolutely refuse to consider one that pays more money.

Your call... ;)

Plekto

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 02:44:18 pm »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
I think it comes down to a choice between volume, picture quality and $$$ as an example I lined up my choices
G10, Xsi/18-200 OS, 5D 3 lenses/flash, Mamiya AFDII/PhaseOne P30 and lenses etc

From left to right the volume, price and image quality go up. If you have the space and budget by all means BTTR (Buy To The Right!)
Marc

Obviously.  But the E420 is just a few ounces heavier than the G10 and is the beginning of a real SLR system.  The Canon XS(XSi isn't really needed, IMO - save money. 10MP is plenty with a good larger sensor) is light and has a zillion of the options he wants and a sensor that is enormous as well.  Same price as the G10.

If the G10 was $300 or $400, sure.  But when you can get the Canon or similar for $500 as a kit with a better lens, it's penny-wise and pound foolish not to just go up a step.    Doubly so since his stated desire to do street and lower light/urban  photography means he's going to be sticking a prime F/1.4-1.8 or similar on it ASAP.  Or want to.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:45:42 pm by Plekto »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 04:06:19 pm »

Quote from: Plekto
Obviously.  But the E420 is just a few ounces heavier than the G10 and is the beginning of a real SLR system.  The Canon XS(XSi isn't really needed, IMO - save money. 10MP is plenty with a good larger sensor) is light and has a zillion of the options he wants and a sensor that is enormous as well.  Same price as the G10.

If the G10 was $300 or $400, sure.  But when you can get the Canon or similar for $500 as a kit with a better lens, it's penny-wise and pound foolish not to just go up a step.    Doubly so since his stated desire to do street and lower light/urban  photography means he's going to be sticking a prime F/1.4-1.8 or similar on it ASAP.  Or want to.

The G10 is more compact, however.  Even if the weight is similar.   So more likely to be carried with you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up