Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hassy 28mm sampels  (Read 12593 times)

michele

Hassy 28mm sampels
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:01:14 am »

Hi folks,
I had the chance to use for a while (30 minutes) the Hasselblad H3DII-39 with the HCD 28mm. The camera was in a very heavy and stable tripod, mirror lock-up, cable release... ISO 50, f/11. The file was opened with Phocus, no sharpening just DAC corrections... I hope these sampels could help someone, there are the total and two crops, one of the very extreme left corner and one of the focus point...

Bye, Michele

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:01:22 am »

If it pleases the court I will add my own.

Images shown are from an H3D-31 at 200 ISO, 1 second exposure.  Taken by myself and colleague last year.  HCD28 lens of course.

Two full views are shown with Lens Correction on and off.  You might like to layer them in PhotoShop to see the difference.

Details from centre and the left hand side.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

michele

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:31:14 am »

Hi David,
I'm asking to myself why your images look better then mine... I can see more details in yours, also in the corner yours are better, and you took the photos with the 31 megapixels back, and it supposes to have microlenses, and I guess it should have some bad artefacts in the corners with the 28mm like the P30 with the 28mm mamiya...
Maybe the 39 mpx back outresolves the resolution of the HCD 28mm? I didn't yet say wellcome to you in the forum...so wellcome
Michele

• Capture One
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:03 am »

Quote from: michele
Hi David,
I'm asking to myself why your images look better then mine... I can see more details in yours, also in the corner yours are better, and you took the photos with the 31 megapixels back, and it supposes to have microlenses, and I guess it should have some bad artefacts in the corners with the 28mm like the P30 with the 28mm mamiya...
Maybe the 39 mpx back outresolves the resolution of the HCD 28mm? I didn't yet say wellcome to you in the forum...so wellcome
Michele

Hi Michele,

Well without seeing your raw file it is hard to say!  But it looks like you might have clipped the histogram hence some of the posterisation that is happening.  Like in the back of the chair for example.  I would NOT expect to see this happening at all.

The 31MP has the same size pixels as the 39MP so they both resolve to the same extent.  The 31 will however have better higher ISO performance.

You are welcome to send me the 3F file and I can take a look.

Thanks for the welcome.  

David

David Grover

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:21:53 pm »

......also in the corner yours are better, .......

Michele,

One of the contributing factors in the corner performance differences you notice is that since your reference image is taken with a
''more full frame' back than the sample from David you are using more of the image circle available with the 28mm.

Sometimes, when working at the limits of an image circle there is compromised sharpness in the extreme corners

Mark

hubell

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 01:30:11 pm »

Quote from: mtomalty
Michele,

One of the contributing factors in the corner performance differences you notice is that since your reference image is taken with a
''more full frame' back than the sample from David you are using more of the image circle available with the 28mm.

Sometimes, when working at the limits of an image circle there is compromised sharpness in the extreme corners

Mark

Yes, Mark, but I have seen several Mamiya 28mm images posted on the web that were taken with the cropped sensor of the Phase P30 and the corner performance looked, to my eye, very soft. David's sample does not.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:39:40 pm »

Yes, Mark, but I have seen several Mamiya 28mm images posted on the web that were taken with the cropped sensor of the Phase P30 and the corner performance looked, to my eye, very soft. David's sample does not.

Mamiya and Phase.  What' you expect  :>))

I was just responding to Michele to point out one generic reason why a cropped vs a fullish sensor might exhibit different corner sharpness characteristics.

Mark

• Capture One
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:22:04 am »

Quote from: mtomalty
Michele,

Mark

To show that the HCD28 performance is just as excellent on a 49mm sensor I have found one of my shots from an H3D39.  Same deal as before, with and without DAC, left hand side crop and a centre crop.  Not the most enthralling of captures but it delivers the point!

This image was also shot with our GPS accessory.    (See meta data image)

On a side note there was a small amount of Moire on the bicycle basket which was successfully removed with our new Moire filter, also increasing the detail (not blurring) as well.

HCD28 Lens, f8, 1/200s, 100 ISO.

David
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:42:30 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover

• Capture One
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 02:46:01 am »

Just a thought...

For those of you who would prefer some level of Vignetting, there is a a control for this in the lens corrections...

David

David Grover

michele

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:10:00 am »

Thanks to All,
actually I know that the 31 megapixels is 33x44mm and the 39megapixels is 36x49 (about), but as hcubell says I saw the 28mm Mamiya with thw P30 producing strange behaviour in the corners... Just to say, go to captureintegration.com and you'll see some test...
Overall, i think the difference I can see between my files and the David's files it's first of all in the different subject, and secondly due to the fact that I'm not used to the Hasselblad system, I'm pretty sure that I can do more after have studied and tested the enitre system. But I guess it's useful to see what Hasselblad can do in a beginners hand. I think Hasselblad has a great potential, but I wish I could use the H3DII with a PhaseOne back... Hassy is a very great platform but, and it's just a feeling a mood, I don't like very much their backs...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 03:39:23 am »

Now, I confess I use Hasselblad backs (at this moment). Before that Leaf and even for a blue monday Phase. How could you state you don't like their (or anyone elses) backs without having used them for at least a while (thinking months not hours)? From the backs I have used sofar I can say you can get to work everything in the way you like if you take the effort to get to know the system and how to work it.

All 4 manufacturers have pretty similar products that are different in small, but sometimes not insignificant, areas. What makes you think you don't like Hasselblad backs? Only a mood or a feeling? I can understand feelings for a family member, a pet, maybe even a preferred camera system or way of working but isn't this a form of 'group induced sentiment'?

I also confess I had my doubts before using the Hasselblad system and I still have, I probably will always have it which keeps me very critical. But... it does work, it does deliver very good results, it has few hickups. It is one of those tools that work but generate little love which indeed can be confusing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 03:51:32 am by Dustbak »

stewarthemley

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 04:23:37 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
It is one of those tools that work but generate little love which indeed can be confusing.
Well, it's because it works that I have grown to love mine. Often, with expensive items that have a big reputation, it can be the other way round. Every time I zoom in to 100% and see what this system (H3d39II) is capable of when I get it right (not always!) I love it a little more. Michele, you do have work much harder with MFDBs - please don't see that as a patronising or superior statement. I've been at it more years than I care to admit but it took me quite a while to get the best from the system. And I agree with others above, the backs are very similar in performance.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 04:28:28 am »

Same here Stuart, exactly the same. Even the same way of growing in love  maybe I should have phrased the sentence as; "It is one of those tools that work but generate little love at first which indeed can be confusing'.

Everytime you go over your images at a 100% it is a joy to see what the results are which are better than expected in most cases. If you are producing shitty images it most certainly was not because the tool you were using

I do have other tools that are less forgiving, harder to produce the same kind of results under some circumstances but still feel better. Maybe not entirely fair because it is like comparing apples & oranges. The thing I talk about (this is just my case) is my Digiflex. The ability to use excellent glass at f1.4 and use it handheld at 1/30th while still generating sharp images with a digital back. A body that is big but smaller than the H. These are all things my H isn't and probably never will be. Maybe the fact that I take the Digiflex to occassions where I am not working for someone else has got to do with it as well. Anyway still comparing apples & oranges. Maybe I just like apples a bit more but the H is definitely one of the finest oranges I ever tasted
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:34:52 am by Dustbak »

FlashDB

• http://
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 05:12:51 am »

Quote from: michele
Thanks to All,
actually I know that the 31 megapixels is 33x44mm and the 39megapixels is 36x49 (about), but as hcubell says I saw the 28mm Mamiya with thw P30 producing strange behaviour in the corners... Just to say, go to captureintegration.com and you'll see some test...
Overall, i think the difference I can see between my files and the David's files it's first of all in the different subject, and secondly due to the fact that I'm not used to the Hasselblad system, I'm pretty sure that I can do more after have studied and tested the enitre system. But I guess it's useful to see what Hasselblad can do in a beginners hand. I think Hasselblad has a great potential, but I wish I could use the H3DII with a PhaseOne back... Hassy is a very great platform but, and it's just a feeling a mood, I don't like very much their backs...
Hi
Here's a test shot I did with the 28mm Mamiya and a P30+ a couple of months ago at my local dealer. The fall off as soon as you leave the center was quite a disappointment to me. It would be interesting to see how good C1 pro is at correcting this   I'm very happy with my 28mm hassy lens, which is 1k US less than the Mamiya one, and I see a big difference in quality. Should I need to correct anything, the lens corrections in Phocus is producing 100% magic results, no matter at which aperture and distance the shot is done!!
I own a P25 for my Contax as well and like both systems with each it's advantages and disadvantages. The P25 is easy controlled from the back by four visible buttons, the H3DII back however can be controlled directly from the camera, and has a larger and better display in my opinion.  

As earlier said here at this forum, I'm interested in hearing how good the new C1 Pro is at doing lens corrections and also if the P65+ is available for my H2.

Cheers
David
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 05:28:13 am by FlashDB »

stewarthemley

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 07:17:09 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
The ability to use excellent glass at f1.4 and use it handheld at 1/30th while still generating sharp images with a digital back.
Now you're talking dirty! (But I love it.) It's often a bummer for me that I can't handhold the Hass (or any MFD) with better results unless I'm outside on a really bright day. But that's what the 35 DSLRs are for I guess.

FlashDB

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 08:14:59 am »

Ha ha

Mark_Tuttle

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 12:47:31 pm »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
To show that the HCD28 performance is just as excellent on a 49mm sensor I have found one of my shots from an H3D39.  Same deal as before, with and without DAC, left hand side crop and a centre crop.  Not the most enthralling of captures but it delivers the point!

This image was also shot with our GPS accessory.    (See meta data image)

On a side note there was a small amount of Moire on the bicycle basket which was successfully removed with our new Moire filter, also increasing the detail (not blurring) as well.

HCD28 Lens, f8, 1/200s, 100 ISO.

David

Show me a shot with the H3DII-39 with the HCD 28mm, leveled up with vertical lines at the edges of the image.  A true, informational image.  Something like that would catch my attention.
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

FlashDB

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »

Quote from: jsch
Hi David,

when you use DAC, do you lose image "real estate"? As far as I know DxO delivers around 96 % of the original image and Canon DPP only 92 %. And if, does it depend from the lens?

Best,
Johannes

Hi Johannes

Well if it's 100% is hard to say but to me they for sure look 100% real estate, no matter which lens I use! I've read that Phocus uses a huge matrix of more than 50.000 numbers to correct for all possible distances and apertures and that even the HTS1.5 will be supported. Maybe David from Hasselblad can join in here and possibly post us some images from the HTS?
I still haven't been able to test C1 Pro. Someone here that could post us some images before/after or just tell about their experiences?

Cheers
David

Nick-T

Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 02:22:05 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
To Hasselblad's credit, in David's bicycle example photo where mustache distortion is very evident and strong for the 28mm, DAC makes it a perfect lens. That's quite impressive.

Yes there are more than 50 000 lookup tables in Phocus.
Here's a quick DAC primer.

No lens is perfect. Every lens suffers from some degree of distortion, chromatic aberration, or vignetting. By shooting test charts at various apertures, focal lengths (think zoom), and combinations of extension tubes, you can mathematically describe these characteristics.

The CRUCIAL bit of data however is the subject to sensor plane distance, without this data you CANNOT make accurate corrections only guesstimates. This is why some software asks you to specify wether the shot was taken at near or infinity focus. As far as I'm aware the H system is the only system that passes subject to sensor distance back to the software.

The system is able to work with the HTS because the HTS has sensors that record the degree of tilt/shift/rotation and pass it back (you can see it in meta data), again this is the only tilft/shift system I know of that does this.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

• Capture One
Hassy 28mm sampels
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 02:02:14 am »

Quote from: Mark_Tuttle
Show me a shot with the H3DII-39 with the HCD 28mm, leveled up with vertical lines at the edges of the image.  A true, informational image.  Something like that would catch my attention.

We have that of course.    

Image with and without DAC (distortion only, then vignetting.  Remember - Vignetting correction can be controlled in terms of density but is not simply a generic amount - it varies depending on the lens data) plus the same corrections 'attempted' in Photoshop.  You can see it is in no way comparable.  Plus timewise - all you do is tick a box.

This becomes very interesting with the HTS (Tilt and Shift) as of course if you apply some shift then it is no point having the Vignetting correction centralised for example - it will need to be offset.  This is done by movement data being recorded by the HTS and sent to the image file.

[attachment=8983:NoDac.jpg]
NO corrections at all.

[attachment=8984:distortion.jpg]
Correction for Distortion only applied

[attachment=8985:distvign.jpg]
Distortion and Vignetting applied.  Vignetting at 100%

[attachment=8986:pshop.jpg]
The same image with correction attempt in PhotoShop

David

(H3D39 at 0.35m)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:33:53 am by David Grover / Hasselblad »
David Grover