Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: No wide gamut color setting in CS3 work space?  (Read 7444 times)

The View

No wide gamut color setting in CS3 work space?
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:23 pm »

As I'm using DPP for RAW conversion, all images get imported in the wide gamut color space.

I'd like to set my working color space to "wide gamut", but can't find a setting, only Adobe RGB, ProPhoto, and a few outdated exotic ones. No wide gamut.

Can you somehow load wide gamut into the list to choose from?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

TMcCulley

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:20:54 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Use Color Spaces under the Edit menu or Ctrl Shift K.

Under Working Spaces select RGB drop down box and the very last item in the list is Wide Gamut RGB.  Save the color space to useful name and then it will be available as your default.

Tom

The View

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 02:04:04 am »

Thanks a lot, Tom!
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:07:38 pm »

Use Color Spaces under the Edit menu or Ctrl Shift K.

Under Working Spaces select RGB drop down box and the very last item in the list is Wide Gamut RGB.  Save the color space to useful name and then it will be available as your default.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the color settings dialogue.

I was there before I posted.

There is a very short list of RGB work spaces, only 5 actually, and no wide gamut color space.

That's why I was asking on how to load that choice. I should have said: how to load "wide gamut" into the RGB dropdown menu in the color settings dialogue.

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »

As I'm using DPP for RAW conversion, all images get imported in the wide gamut color space.

I'd like to set my working color space to "wide gamut", but can't find a setting, only Adobe RGB, ProPhoto, and a few outdated exotic ones. No wide gamut.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know if the DPP wide gamut color space is the same as the Adobe Wide Gamut Color Space (now abandoned by Adobe), but this space is similar to ProPhotoRGB as shown by the following posts on Wikipedia. Why not use the more common ProPhoto space?

[a href=\"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Wide_Gamut_RGB_color_space]Adobe Wide Gamut[/url]

ProPhotoRGB

The View

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:06:27 am »

I don't know if the DPP wide gamut color space is the same as the Adobe Wide Gamut Color Space (now abandoned by Adobe), but this space is similar to ProPhotoRGB as shown by the following posts on Wikipedia. Why not use the more common ProPhoto space?

Adobe Wide Gamut

ProPhotoRGB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DPP doesn't offer ProPhoto color space, only wide gamut.

As Photoshop gives me the option in the "different color space than working space warning" to use the embedded profile, I'm using it. It must be the same, as it uses the embedded ICC profile.

The other decent choice of color space DPP gives you is the Adobe 1998 color space.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:22:16 am by The View »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:26:06 am »

It should make very little difference in practice whether you use Wide Gamut or ProPhoto once you bring the image into PS. The View, your practice of letting PS use the embedded profile (in this case, DPP's Wide Gamut) should be fine.
Eric Chan

TMcCulley

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:24:56 pm »

There is a very short list of RGB work spaces, only 5 actually, and no wide gamut color space.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have to go to the very bottom of the drop down to get the wide gamut RGB.  It is not in the group where the 5 RGB spaces are listed.

Tom

The View

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:02:37 am »

You have to go to the very bottom of the drop down to get the wide gamut RGB.  It is not in the group where the 5 RGB spaces are listed.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is no bottom. I only have five color spaces to choose from as working color space. (in color settings)

Maybe I can use the load button to get more color spaces on that list?

The only choices I have are: Adobe RGB, Apple RGB, colorMatch, ProPhoto, and sRGB.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:52:59 am »

There is no bottom. I only have five color spaces to choose from as working color space. (in color settings)

Make sure you've expanded all the options using the "More Options" button in the dialog. Less options filters out profiles among other things.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

The View

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:08:05 pm »

Make sure you've expanded all the options using the "More Options" button in the dialog. Less options filters out profiles among other things.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222341\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you!

That was exactly what was the matter. Less Options not only reduces the size of the menu, but also the list in the available color spaces.

And I guess this "wide gamut RGB" color space is the same that DPP is using? Another poster hinted there may be more than one wide gamut color space.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »

And I guess this "wide gamut RGB" color space is the same that DPP is using? Another poster hinted there may be more than one wide gamut color space.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That I don't know, I don't use DPP. If it's got the same name, should be the same.

bjanes

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 08:08:17 am »

Thank you!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is easy to check the matrix values of a matrix profile in Photoshop. One goes to the Edit, Color Settings menu and select the desired space. Then go to the top of the color spaces list and select Custom. You can then modify the matrix values and re save the profile as whatever you want. Here are the values for Wide Gamut RGB from Photoshop. You could compare to your Canon profile.

[attachment=8420:attachment]

I also have a Wide Gamut RGB Linear profile installed on my system for looking at demosaiced raw files such as you can get from Iris or DCRaw.

According to [a href=\"http://www.creativepro.com/article/out-of-gamut-exploring-wide-open-color-spaces]Bruce Fraser[/url], the blues of Wide Gamut RGB are weak and tend to shift towards purple on editing.

Bill

The View

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 07:11:20 pm »

It is easy to check the matrix values of a matrix profile in Photoshop. One goes to the Edit, Color Settings menu and select the desired space. Then go to the top of the color spaces list and select Custom. You can then modify the matrix values and re save the profile as whatever you want. Here are the values for Wide Gamut RGB from Photoshop. You could compare to your Canon profile.

[attachment=8420:attachment]

I also have a Wide Gamut RGB Linear profile installed on my system for looking at demosaiced raw files such as you can get from Iris or DCRaw.

Only how will I get a matrix profile from DPP, so I can compare it to that in PS?

According to Bruce Fraser, the blues of Wide Gamut RGB are weak and tend to shift towards purple on editing.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would you say that working in Adobe RGB (1998) is better than working in "wide gamut"?

Especially for portraits.

And then for landscape.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:14:52 pm by The View »

bjanes

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 09:45:47 pm »

Only how will I get a matrix profile from DPP, so I can compare it to that in PS?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222764\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think WideGamutRGB is one of the profiles installed by Photoshop. On my Windows machine there are two copies of this file, one in c:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles and another in the standard location for color profiles, c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. Examination with a hex editor shows that they are identical.

I would look on the install disk for DPP and see if it is there. It would be installed by DPP in the default profile folder, and you need to know if it got there from DPP or Photoshop.

Would you say that working in Adobe RGB (1998) is better than working in "wide gamut"?

Especially for portraits.

And then for landscape.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222764\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't really know since I have never used the regular gamma 2.2 version of WideGamutRGB. If you use 16 bit I would think it would be fine, but perhaps Jeff Schewe or the DigitalDog could comment. I would think that ProPhotoRGB would be best for landscapes.

Bill

The View

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 01:21:07 am »

I'm on a Mac, running 10.4 Tiger.

I have yet to find out on how to examine the content of an install disc. Because just clicking the symbol will start the installation process. Maybe there are differences here between Windows and the Mac.

But, since I switched my color settings to "wide gamut RGB" (and leaving all the warning on, of course, for files that are not in the working space), PS accepts the files from DPP without giving me any warnings.

Which should, by sheer logic, mean that the color profiles are identical.

I would think that PS rather compares the profiles than their names.

Andrew Fee

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:10 am »

While you have found how to select wide gamut as your working space, if you set the colour management policies to “Preserve Embedded Profiles” and uncheck the “Ask When Opening/Pasting” boxes it won't prompt you any more and will use the embedded profile by default.

Make sure you leave the checkbox for missing profiles ticked though.

This way you won't have to use wide gamut as your working space.

The View

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 09:03:28 pm »

While you have found how to select wide gamut as your working space, if you set the colour management policies to “Preserve Embedded Profiles” and uncheck the “Ask When Opening/Pasting” boxes it won't prompt you any more and will use the embedded profile by default.

Make sure you leave the checkbox for missing profiles ticked though.

This way you won't have to use wide gamut as your working space.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds very sound.

The "working space" is probably more interesting for people who have files of all kinds and from different people flying at them, and it helps them to keep the oversight.

For those who create their own files, and who only use two color spaces (the actual color space, wide gamut in my case), and sRGB for the web, probably don't need to set a working space.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:24:52 pm »

The "working space" is probably more interesting for people who have files of all kinds and from different people flying at them, and it helps them to keep the oversight.

For those who create their own files, and who only use two color spaces (the actual color space, wide gamut in my case), and sRGB for the web, probably don't need to set a working space.

Nice try, but no cigar. Thanks for playing. Setting the working space is how you tell Photoshop what your preferred editing space is for grayscale, RGB, etc. This is important when converting from RGB to grayscale--the image will be converted to the grayscale working space you select. If you select some oddball grayscale working space, or worse yet, nothing, when converting files to grayscale, expect Murphy to intrude unpleasantly into your workflow. Selecting an appropriate RGB space is equally important if you ever convert to LAB and back to RGB, or convert a grayscale file back to RGB to add toning or something like that. You should always have your preferred editing spaces set as your default working space in your color management settings.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:36 am »

Nice try, but no cigar. Thanks for playing. Setting the working space is how you tell Photoshop what your preferred editing space is for grayscale, RGB, etc. This is important when converting from RGB to grayscale--the image will be converted to the grayscale working space you select. If you select some oddball grayscale working space, or worse yet, nothing, when converting files to grayscale, expect Murphy to intrude unpleasantly into your workflow. Selecting an appropriate RGB space is equally important if you ever convert to LAB and back to RGB, or convert a grayscale file back to RGB to add toning or something like that. You should always have your preferred editing spaces set as your default working space in your color management settings.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All you say is true IF you use Mode Change (which is a somewhat dangerous option in light of the Convert to Profile command). I try to instruct users to stay away from Mode Change and specifically pick the color space they wish in Convert to Profile. Then, the only real important role of the working space is for untagged documents (PS assumes that's the color space).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up