Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor Alert: New Nikon MF sensor in a RF body?  (Read 22094 times)

Streetshooter

Rumor Alert: New Nikon MF sensor in a RF body?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

someone not registered here just sent me the following info on older nikon lenses to pass on to the forum:

"Nikon lenses that were used on the early Bronica EC models of medium format.

Almost all Nikkor lenses for Zenza Bronica is listed.
NIKKOR-D 40mm F4
NIKKOR-H 50mm F3.5
NIKKOR-O 50mm F2.8
NIKKOR-P 75mm F2.8
NIKKOR-Q 105mm F3.5LS
NIKKOR-Q 135mm F3.5
NIKKOR-P 200mm F4 (early)
NIKKOR-P 200mm F4 (later)
NIKKOR-P 600mm F5.6"
so the history is there...but of course this is just rumour but no harm in a bit of idle speculation!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree it's just a rumour and maybe silly speculation, but perhaps somebody from Nikon reads this forum and will get a few ideas. Just maybe...

These lenses are superb, I know I use a few on my old Bronica bodies. They easily match my Hasselblad Zeiss lenses and out perform them in one or two instances.

For sure this could be a dream camera for quite a few people.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 12:28:13 pm »

One question, why would Nikon bring out anything larger than the current 24x36? Even 12MP is already enough for the things 99% of all people use it for (including myself). 24MP is nice and when I can get it I will but also tremendous overkill. Why would Nikon start competing with an extremely small niche market when it also means really substantial investments to get there? To earn what? Part of a 10K units market??

I would believe a rumour that Nikon is stepping into camera phones before I believe a rumour of a Nikon MF (whatever that may be) adventure. Now camera phones (PDA like stuff) that is an interesting chunk of market for the likes of Canon & Nikon, IMO naturally.

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 01:46:02 pm »

One question, why would Nikon bring out anything larger than the current 24x36? Even 12MP is already enough for the things 99% of all people use it for (including myself). 24MP is nice and when I can get it I will but also tremendous overkill. Why would Nikon start competing with an extremely small niche market when it also means really substantial investments to get there? To earn what? Part of a 10K units market??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219839\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who knows if this or other rumors will become reality.  However, I think the idea would be that Nikon would try to break into this market and make it more appealing to a broader market.  Not many people out there say, "Hmmm, I think I want to buy a $20K-30K camera system from Phase One."  They don't know anything about Phase One, or Sinar, or Leaf; that's left to pros and semi-pros in a niche market.  However, if Nikon introduced a system and marketed it as "Bigger than 'full' format but still affordable for working pros," (in between current pro 35mm cameras and MFDBs in terms of price) I think they could lure current pros who have stayed in the 35mm realm for a number of reasons, as well as lure semi pros and even well-heeled amateurs into this new system, thus raising the 10K unit market to a 50-100K market.  

It's the whole "dentist" argument.  They don't need it, not many do, but boy would they like to show it off to friends.  In reality, most amateurs don't need the D300, let alone the D700 or D3.  But they buy it, instead of the D40/D60/D80 that would serve them quite well, still, in huge numbers.  I can see the name recognition of Nikon, along with some 35mm-like advancements to lure many people into our   niche market.

Josh

Streetshooter

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 03:11:57 pm »

I would believe a rumour that Nikon is stepping into camera phones before I believe a rumour of a Nikon MF (whatever that may be) adventure. Now camera phones (PDA like stuff) that is an interesting chunk of market for the likes of Canon & Nikon, IMO naturally.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219839\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure the majority of Wedding Photographers still use MF gear. I know a few that still use MF film because of the cost of the gear and the limitations of the MFDB's. The market for this so called hypothetical MF Nikon is not small by any means. The right product at the right price and they would sell loads, and expand MF photography once more.

We've had this MF versus 35mm over and over again.The MF look is very nice for certain things. For too long now the MFDB makers have given us what they think we need rather than what we want. Maybe things will change soon.

revaaron

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 03:19:35 pm »

also, if you use zoom lenses from a FX on a MX, you are all set.
I shoot my DX lenses on my FX camera all the time.
(my 17-55 is my most versatile lens), you just get vignetting.
http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/bane030_404404.jpg

the vingetting works sometimes:
http://www.returntothepit.com/rttppics/bane027_404401.jpg

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 03:38:13 pm »

I'm sure the majority of Wedding Photographers still use MF gear. I know a few that still use MF film because of the cost of the gear and the limitations of the MFDB's.

Nope. Most wedding shooters are using DSLRs for weddings. Most weddings aren't profitable enough to justify the expense of MFDB--many wedding shooters aren't even using top-tier DSLRs such as Canon 1-series because the lower-level cameras are increasingly capable of getting the shot in dimly-lit churches with little if any loss of image quality. Shooting events in dimly-lit indoor settings in one niche where DSLRs generally outperform MF--higher usable ISO, faster and more accurate autofocus, and the ability to shoot more nimbly with less gear means a higher ratio of keepers, as less setup and teardown time for the shoot.

gwhitf

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 04:10:39 pm »

Nope. Most wedding shooters are using DSLRs for weddings.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not to mention, they're all shooting JPGs, so they can turn the jobs faster. How many MF backs can you shoot a JPG-only wedding with?

They shoot; they throw away the bad ones; they upload them; and they move on.

Weddings seem perfect for a Nikon D3 to me. Set it on JPG, and on ASA One Zillion, and get to work printing hundred dollar bills.

revaaron

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 04:31:08 pm »

Not to mention, they're all shooting JPGs, so they can turn the jobs faster. How many MF backs can you shoot a JPG-only wedding with?

Weddings seem perfect for a Nikon D3 to me. Set it on JPG, and on ASA One Zillion, and get to work printing hundred dollar bills.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
that's how I shoot non-posed weddings.  it's funny how you can shoot all pictures that you personally hate and they make the family/bride cry when you put them in a book.

MF is great for the 15 shot posed wedding party shots.
Maybe the stuff that you do before the wedding at their houses.

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 03:09:36 pm »

And if it could use my existing Mamiya 7 lenses, I would write the check right now.

What would basically be a digital Mamiya 6  that allows the user to shoot stock and travel and reportage and large print fine art in those same locations all in the same body is a dream come true tool of the digital age for many.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

shelby_lewis

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 04:27:41 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

uh... nope again. No one at the high end shoots all jpeg any more (even Jeff Ascough has been RAW for a few years now). Everyone shoots raw (well 99%), hence the rise of lightroom, photomechanic, et al.

BUT... even shooting RAW, most still shoot several thousand exposures in a day...so wedding pros (successful ones) have devised RAW workflows that move along very quickly and efficiently. The d3/d700 are, indeed, currently the bigtime wedding cams and 12mp is just about perfect for anything except large group formals (but still adequate).

Lighting conditions are too much of a wild card in high quality wedding work... essentially everyone shoots raw.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up