Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR or Aperture for Medium Format?  (Read 2327 times)

Mitchell Baum

LR or Aperture for Medium Format?
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:54:13 am »

I'm a LR 1 user looking at a Sinar Hy6 to buy. I'm also thinking of updating to LR2.

I'm on a G5 Dual 2GHz, with 3 GB Ram. (I guess I could get to 8 GB, if I replaced all four slots
with 2 GB.)

Just been reading of the slowdowns with LR2, and I'm wondering how Aperture does with MF files compared to LR2?

I'm assuming that they're similar in capability at this point. Is that right? Can Aperture do non-global editing as LR2 now can?

Don't tell me Capture One. I believe all the raves about it, but can't make the workflow work for me.

Thanks,

Mitchell

hubell

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:46:14 pm »

I'm a LR 1 user looking at a Sinar Hy6 to buy. I'm also thinking of updating to LR2.

I'm on a G5 Dual 2GHz, with 3 GB Ram. (I guess I could get to 8 GB, if I replaced all four slots
with 2 GB.)

Just been reading of the slowdowns with LR2, and I'm wondering how Aperture does with MF files compared to LR2?

I'm assuming that they're similar in capability at this point. Is that right? Can Aperture do non-global editing as LR2 now can?

Don't tell me Capture One. I believe all the raves about it, but can't make the workflow work for me.

Thanks,

Mitchell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are LR and Aperture even options with Sinar files? I don't recall that either program provides support for the raw Sinar files. You can probably first convert them to DNGs, but my experience with Hasselblad raw files(also not supported in LR) where I first convert them into DNGs  and then process them in LR  is completely unsatisfactory compared to Hassy's raw converter. OTOH, the Hasselblad raws are natively supported in Aperture and Aperture actually does  a very nice job. Not quite as good as Phocus at the margins when you start pixel peeping, but pretty close for my type of work. Processing speed is very comparable.

PdF

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:23:06 pm »

The H6's program, Sinar eXposure, works direct in DNG. It's a unique method to work direct in LR without conversion. And that's wonderfull, indeed. And exclusive of Sinar (and Leica ???).

I hope that the Kina will give us (Sinar, but no Hy6, users) the same opportunity... It's promised, but the time can be very long in Switzerland.

PdF
PdF

R(Vienna)

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:06:31 am »

with 2 GB.)

Thanks,

Mitchell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi there

i use a Nikon D3/D2x and Leaf Aptus 22 on Contax and Sinar p2 , depending on the job

I use LR 1 now for all Raw conversion except for my leaf, there i use leaf capture because i have the feeling that this raw converter gets the best out of this unit and also do provide some nice addon´s like thetered shooting and some nice features for largeformat...

i think it depends on how much quality you want to get

if LR covers sinar i don´t know but on the adobe page there will be an answer...

i would suggest you get a trial aperture, trial lightroom and the sinar software and compare these three... then choose the one which:

1.) suits your workflow best
2.) does everything you need or at least what you want in the best way
3.) provides the best quality

or the average of all three points... :-)

hope that helped

robb

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:32:23 am »

I loved aperture but went for LR2.0

The reason is very simple.
With LR2.0 I can rename the originals and add keywords.
With Aperture I can only rename copies of the masters.

I use lightroom only for selecting, renaming and keywording so that is vital for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up