Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Takakkaw Falls  (Read 8724 times)

Keith S

Takakkaw Falls
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:20 pm »

Here is a shot from the lower section of Takakkaw Falls, Yoho national park Canada. First question, does this shot pop for you like it did for me? The second question is......does the person in the shot add or detract form the shot?

Keith

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:41 am »

If it was me I'd remove the two people... they're not important enough to the image to be anything from a distraction.  YMMV.

Mike.

EDIT:  Make that one people and one blue backpack or other accessory...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:38:32 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Brad Proctor

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:21:56 am »

If it was me I'd remove the two people... they're not important enough to the image to be anything from a distraction.  YMMV.

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed.  I didn't even notice the person in the picture the first time I looked at it.  Where is the second person?  I can only see one.
Brad Proctor

Joe Behar

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:37:47 am »

Here is a shot from the lower section of Takakkaw Falls, Yoho national park Canada. First question, does this shot pop for you like it did for me? The second question is......does the person in the shot add or detract form the shot?

Keith
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the person gives the image scale and you should leave him/her in.

I'd also love to see the image as a vertical with the water being the focus.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:18:38 am »

This is a lovely view of Takkakaw, and very unlike the usual tall vertical. For me the figure(s?) add(s) nothing to the image.

Nice shot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

DarkPenguin

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:31 am »

Pretty ambivalent about the person in the frame.  I'd probably change their shirt color, however.

I'd also whack the bit of activity down at the bottom of the frame.  (Edit: I'm refering to the bit of white water on the front of the rocks.  just cropped a touch.)  It divvies up the flow when I think it should probably be cruising out the lower right.  Either you need a little more of it or a little less of it.  Maybe whack the left side up to the big rock.  I think that would pull you through the picture from the upper (central) left through to the lower right.  I think the person works better in that case.  Right now they feel like a bit of a focal point.

Lots of options with the shot.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:27:04 am by DarkPenguin »

Keith S

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:08:59 pm »

Thanks for the comments!

Here is the adjusted shot. I removed the people and croped it on the left. I just feel that the water action at the bottom of the shot gives it more depth so I left it in....comments?

Keith

Eric Myrvaagnes

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:22:11 am »

This version works nicely for me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:27:51 am »

Much better...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:38 pm »

I'd also whack the bit of activity down at the bottom of the frame.  (Edit: I'm refering to the bit of white water on the front of the rocks.  just cropped a touch.)  It divvies up the flow when I think it should probably be cruising out the lower right.  Either you need a little more of it or a little less of it.  Maybe whack the left side up to the big rock.  I think that would pull you through the picture from the upper (central) left through to the lower right. Lots of options with the shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This suggestion for a tighter crop works better for me.  A tighter crop using the rock in the middle makes the image for me....

ken

erictoddjohnson

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:54:46 pm »

Keith,

I really like your modified image.  Cloning out the person and cropping off some of the left side make it much better, in my opinion.  But I have to agree with those who suggest cropping out the white water on the bottom left of the image - I think having the light tones on the bottom edge disrupts the flow of the image.  

But either way, I'd be happy to hang it on my wall!

Eric

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 04:42:10 pm »

I like the 2nd much better, good job!  It (for me) lacks a bit of contrast though.  You have a nice tonal range, but the overall appearance seems a bit flat.

AdrianW

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »

Personally I prefer it with the person; they give a sense of scale to me. I'd leave it exactly as it is!

Keith S

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:17 pm »

I like the 2nd much better, good job!  It (for me) lacks a bit of contrast though.  You have a nice tonal range, but the overall appearance seems a bit flat.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok, here are a couple new crops and adjusments. The first one cuts out the water at the bottom of the shot and the people have been removed. I had a 30 min disscusion with my daughter about this, she agrees with you folks and I just felt that the water at the bottom added depth to the shot.

and just for fun I did a crop that totally changes the shot. Here I kept the people in since it does seem to add perspective to the shot.

The sky was overcast which helped with the very bright water and also added the very rich tones of the rocks, I supose one could say the shot is flat but that was the way it looked at the time

comments.......

Thanks, Keith

erictoddjohnson

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 12:28:49 am »

I like the first revised crop (without the people), but I agree that if you want to keep the people in then the tighter crop works better.  I think with a wider crop there are enough visual cues to get a sense of depth without having the people present for scale.  

As for the light, I think the overcast sky really gives this shot a lot of appeal.  I like the contrast of the light green water with the dark brown of the rocks.  

Eric

Mort54

• http://
Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 10:31:14 am »

ok, here are a couple new crops and adjusments.
Keith, they're all strong compositions. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer. Personally, I liked the original uncropped version better than the first crop you posted. I also like the second crop you posted, where you basically got rid of some of the foreground.

As for the person, I tend to like my landscapes without people in them. But the person does add a nice sense of scale, which is totally missing otherwise. Without the person in there, I would never have guessed the falls is as big as it is. So again, the image works either way (and in different ways) with and without the person.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Keith S

Takakkaw Falls
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:52:21 am »

I too am split on keeping the people or not. That is where the problem of the person that took the shot knows how big it is and then transferring that knowledge to the person viewing it.

I did go back this weekend and with some of the comments from here in mind and took some more shots from a different perspective. From the photos I have seen on the web there is a common denominator of the wedge of blue sky at the top of the falls. I was lucky enough to have some clouds blow through. I tried to get as low as possible to the water and shoot up. The legs of the tripod were in the water for this shot. I was using an 8X ND and a CP. There was slight vignetting from the CP, which I removed. Other then that I lightened it up a little in PS3. Oh I almost forgot, I let the lady with a yellow jacket walk out of the frame before I took the shot.  

Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up