Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2.0 - Interminent Hungs  (Read 29267 times)

NikosR

• http://
Lightroom 2.0 - Interminent Hungs
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:15 pm »

Anybody else experiences interminent hungs working with LR2.0 (Win)? I experience strange behaviour very often. Usually that shows as LR stopping responding completely while no I/O is being done and one of my 4 processors being 100% utilised. Additionally in task manager 2 LR applications come up showing....

One common issue I experience is just entering the Develop module from Library and often I can repeat this behaviour with specific files. 'Loading...' message comes up (strangely even if I have pre-rendered 1:1 previews) and then nothing.

All in all, I'm testing the trial version at this moment and I'm 100% sure I will not be buying until a subsequent release fixes these stability problems. It is a pity really because I love the new colour profiles and colour output and I was seriously considering making LR my main raw converter. As it is I will have to wait.

PS. It is the second such experience I have had this year. First was the very painfull experience of working with the initial releases of DxO V5.... now this. What has happened to raw converter developer companies out there? Is competition making them too sloppy and hasty to bring out release versions before they are ready?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:30:16 pm by NikosR »
Nikos

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 06:30:21 pm »

Yeah.  The odd thing is that if I kill firefox it responds.

NikosR

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 06:44:33 pm »

Nah! No such luck. No other app is running, clean system etc...

Funnilly, for the cases where this issue is repeatable, it happens with the same files over and over again. Removing and re-importing the files does not solve the problem. No problems working with those same files in other apps so there should be nothing wrong with the files themselves. I will try to delete the files and restore them from backup to see if behaviour changes. In any case this makes LR2 not reliable enough for me.
Nikos

GuyScharf

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

Anybody else experiences interminent hungs working with LR2.0 (Win)? I experience strange behaviour very often. Usually that shows as LR stopping responding completely while no I/O is being done and one of my 4 processors being 100% utilised.
I have been re-organizing keywords on a new LR2 catalog with 35K images.  I am using the Library module only so far.  I have frequent lags as I try to assign new keywords to a dozen to a few hundred images, or if I try to move a keyword to some other location in the hierarchy.  LR simply stops responding and stops painting the screen; occasionally the window goes completely white.  I haven't checked the Task Manager yet to see if it is chewing up one of the two cores.

Guy

NikosR

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:59:40 am »

I have been re-organizing keywords on a new LR2 catalog with 35K images.  I am using the Library module only so far.  I have frequent lags as I try to assign new keywords to a dozen to a few hundred images, or if I try to move a keyword to some other location in the hierarchy.  LR simply stops responding and stops painting the screen; occasionally the window goes completely white.  I haven't checked the Task Manager yet to see if it is chewing up one of the two cores.

Guy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those lags I have them too. I can live with them. What I can't live with is the program completely stopping, obviously looping or something and the only way to get out of that is kill the app from the task manager. Additionally not being able too edit some of my images is unacceptable.
Nikos

tcirillo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:13:47 am »

i am having the opposite experience.

I DL'd v 1.4 and had all manner of problems such as you describe, and repeatable too.  Since adobe provide no 'support' for trial versions, i was about to give up and abandon it.

then V2.0 went live.  i re DL'd and voila, inexplicably, all of those issues seem gone (7 days and counting) with the exception of LR abandoning a synch operation midway w/o a message.  

if it remains this stable for another 2 weeks, it's a winner.

my library is ~ 15,000 images.  and this is on an xp sp2 box.

Those lags I have them too. I can live with them. What I can't live with is the program completely stopping, obviously looping or something and the only way to get out of that is kill the app from the task manager. Additionally not being able too edit some of my images is unacceptable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213595\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

NikosR

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 04:29:39 pm »

Now, I tested LR on the Mac. With the same images but a newly created catalog there appears to be no problem. Next things to test:

1. Newly created catalog on Win with the offending images I have identified
2. Export original catalog from Win and import on Mac
3. LR on a different Win computer.

Hope these will help me pinpoint the problem although with no support provided by Adobe for trial I'm not sure what pinpointing will accomplish.
Nikos

Hunter

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:11:54 pm »

Anybody else experiences interminent hungs working with LR2.0 (Win)? I experience strange behaviour very often. Usually that shows as LR stopping responding completely while no I/O is being done and one of my 4 processors being 100% utilised. Additionally in task manager 2 LR applications come up showing....

One common issue I experience is just entering the Develop module from Library and often I can repeat this behaviour with specific files. 'Loading...' message comes up (strangely even if I have pre-rendered 1:1 previews) and then nothing.

All in all, I'm testing the trial version at this moment and I'm 100% sure I will not be buying until a subsequent release fixes these stability problems. It is a pity really because I love the new colour profiles and colour output and I was seriously considering making LR my main raw converter. As it is I will have to wait.

PS. It is the second such experience I have had this year. First was the very painfull experience of working with the initial releases of DxO V5.... now this. What has happened to raw converter developer companies out there? Is competition making them too sloppy and hasty to bring out release versions before they are ready?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213517\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been experiencing such incredibly long hung times, that I've stopped using Lightroom 2.0. I checked on the Adobe Lightroom user forum, and this seems to be a fairly common problem on Windows. I've talked to Adobe about it and they don't have an answer yet. I'll give them a few days, but if nothing comes of it, I'll ask for a refund. I don't have time to be fooling around with my computer, trying to get a program to work. Very disappointing.

MBehrens

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:01:38 pm »

I have been re-organizing keywords on a new LR2 catalog with 35K images.  I am using the Library module only so far.  I have frequent lags as I try to assign new keywords to a dozen to a few hundred images, or if I try to move a keyword to some other location in the hierarchy.  LR simply stops responding and stops painting the screen; occasionally the window goes completely white.  I haven't checked the Task Manager yet to see if it is chewing up one of the two cores.

Guy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was having the same issue and found that uninstalling LR 1.4.1 has resolved much if not all of the delays.

Win XP Pro SP2 P4 3GHz 2 GB RAM

I was watching the process monitor with LR2 and LR14 installed and the RAM would constantly reach 500MB plus and not drop back down. There was constant disk activity cpu usage that hovered around 25%. With LR14 uninstalled the RAM usage will spike up into the 400MB range but always drop back to the 160-200 MB range. Seemingly unnecessary disk activity has subsided.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this. Its changed my impression of LR2, I was ready to go back to LR141.

NikosR

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 04:33:59 am »

Thanks. I do have LR1.4 installed. I will take your suggestion and, temporarily, remove it and see what happens.

In the meantime I have taken Adobe suggestion and removed the prefs file, losing of course my prefs so I had to set them up again, to no avail. Ditto when deleting all previews together with the related disk files.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:38:05 am by NikosR »
Nikos

rickshanahan

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 09:00:01 am »

My PC has only 512 megs of RAM and LR runs smooth for me.  Not lightning quick, but no hang ups.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213517\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:22:23 am »

LR 2 has run well for me from a performance standpoint but has occasionally hung on my PC with XP Pro 32 bit SP3 - dual core with 4 GB RAM.  In every case Windows has reported that LR 2 must close and reports the problems to MS.
Regards,
Ron

vandevanterSH

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 11:04:15 pm »

I started with LR 1.1 and LR2 since beta and 1.0.   After starting the LR2 tutorial, I decided to "bite the bullet" and organize a master file with heirarchial keywording.  I built a "master.lrcat without problems but the database has  "lost" my images when I select multiple "throw aways" and deleat them from the disc.  When I reopen edited .lrcat, all of the previews have a "?".  This behavior never happened with LR 1.1 > 1.4.1.  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?  It is getting irritating..should have left well enough alone.  I was always told that "perfection is the enemy of good" maybe this is an example.

Steve

Mort54

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 08:25:55 pm »

Anybody else experiences interminent hungs working with LR2.0 (Win)?
I'm on a Mac, so my experiences may not be relevant. That said, I'm thinking of uninstalling 2.0 and going back to 1.4.1. Version 2 seems slower in processing my Nikon files, and becomes totally unbearable when processing my P45+ files. Things just grind to a halt.

One thing I noticed is that I was getting some weird functional errors with my P45+ files UNTIL I optimized the library. Optimizing cleared up the functional errors, but didn't really do much for the slowdown I'm seeing. Anyway, run optimization on your library - it might help with the problems you're seeing.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Littlefield

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 11:45:17 pm »

On the Fred Miranda forum PP a guy said he talked to Adobe and that a fix was gonna have to be made on LR2 and Adobe will be releasing one soon.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 01:27:04 pm »

On the Fred Miranda forum PP a guy said he talked to Adobe and that a fix was gonna have to be made on LR2 and Adobe will be releasing one soon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214193\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh huh. . .and I got a bridge in the desert I'll sell ya...

Look, there are a "few" know issues with the GM release of LR 2. I'm not at liberty to sya what and when any sort of fix will be coming but I will say that the VAST majority of people's issues seem to come from sloppy machines with other problems besides Lightroom, corrupted registries or preferences, bad catalog upgrades and lack of optimizations or a whole list of potential local machine issues.

If you want to contribute to the discussion, it would be useful to supply the basic troubleshooting info and what you've already done by yourself to troubleshoot;
Basic things such as uninstall, reinstall
Trashing the preferences
Testing a new catalog vs an updated catalog
Whether or not you've optimized the catalog
Where the catalog is relative to the image storage.
What admin privileges your user account has
Trying Lightroom in a new user account
The size of your captures and whether you are using native raw, DNG or TIFF/JPEG/PSD

Unless you give the basics of the information required to reliably review your situation, all you are doing is adding chaos and white noise to the situation...which will do nobody any good at all.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 01:31:01 pm »

Look, there are a "few" know issues with the GM release of LR 2. I'm not at liberty to sya what and when any sort of fix will be coming but I will say that the VAST majority of people's issues seem to come from sloppy machines with other problems besides Lightroom, corrupted registries or preferences, bad catalog upgrades and lack of optimizations or a whole list of potential local machine issues.

If you want to contribute to the discussion, it would be useful to supply the basic troubleshooting info and what you've already done by yourself to troubleshoot;
Trashing the preferences
The size of your captures and whether you are using native raw, DNG or TIFF/JPEG/PSD

Unless you give the basics of the information required to reliably review your situation, all you are doing is adding chaos and white noise to the situation...which will do nobody any good at all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214267\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Look, there are a "few" know issues with the GM release of LR 2. I'm not at liberty to sya what and when any sort of fix will be coming but I will say that the VAST majority of people's issues seem to come from sloppy machines with other problems besides Lightroom, corrupted registries or preferences, bad catalog upgrades and lack of optimizations or a whole list of potential local machine issues."

That would probably be me...I think.  Thanks for some of the suggestions.

Steve

Littlefield

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 05:11:15 pm »

Trashing the preferences

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214267\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was just saying I saw that posted on FM and I am glad to see you admit there is a problem with  LR 2 because when some people over there that are a lot more computer literate then me that have fast as hell machines with over 8GB and  LR2 is gumming up it ain't  good   Its clear Adobe released it premature .
Don
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:18:21 pm by Littlefield »

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:54 pm »

Its clear Adobe released it premature .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that's a fair assessment.  Windoze is a fairly open platform and its very difficult to test for all possible configurations and potential corruptions.   That's why public beta programs have become popular.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 07:04:16 pm »

Its clear Adobe released it premature .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that's a fair assessment.  Windoze is a fairly open platform and its very difficult to test for all possible configurations and potential corruptions.   That's why public beta programs have become popular.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up