Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started in MF with scanning?  (Read 2799 times)

hs0zfe

Getting started in MF with scanning?
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:27:18 pm »

Seeing a Fuji GX 680 in okay condition sell for $ 115 on eBay was a wake up call. With a Nikon scanner for roll films, new possibilities open up.

I would like to hear more about the Fuji GX 680. Ta!

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:38:15 pm »

Great camera, and there is a LOT of data to be gleaned from a good scan of a well exposed piece of 120 film.  Both it and the Mamiya RZ line show some excellent bargains right now, an both can be adapted for using a digital back if/when you get there...

The GX is a bigger heavier camera, that allows for tilts and shifts with all of its lenses. (Stay away from the "S" versions if you want lens movements as it does NOT allow tilts or shifts.) Lenses also tend to run a little slower and widest is a 65. The RZ is smaller and a bit lighter (but still no feather weight). Only offers lens movements with the tilt-shift adapter or 75 shift lens, but also goes wider with a 50 and even a 37 fisheye. Both offer a ton of nifty accessories, finders, etc.

Scanner, a good Nikon or Minolta MF will serve you well as will a good Imacon flextite photo, but I'd suggest getting a new enough one it is a USB or firewire interface, not SCSI...  

Best,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:53:54 am »

The GX is a bigger heavier camera, that allows for tilts and shifts with all of its lenses.Lenses also tend to run a little slower and widest is a 65.

I'm not extremely familiar w/ the GX 680 family but, pretty sure there is a 50mm lens for it.  Unless it only works with the II and III??????

only reason I even know that a 50mm exists is cause I used to assist a guy w/ one and he'd always rent a 50mm from Samy's for it when we did interiors.

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:13:14 am »

A SCSI scanner like Flextight precision 2 works great on a Mac Pro or a G5 or even on a PowerBook G4 with 2ndWave SCSI firewire adapter.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

hs0zfe

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:23:49 am »

Cheers - I truly appreciate your advice!

Chris

evgeny

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

I have no experience with that camera, but here is a Contax 645 with 120 film scanned with Nikon 9000

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:12 pm »

my experience is that a Flextight or better (ie drum) is the only way to rival MFDB. the nikon 9000 is a great a scanner, but flex or the drum will get you a much better scan. another point -a skilled operator is part of the puzzle to a great scan - just my experience/opinion

evgeny

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 04:07:47 am »

Yesterday I scanned a 6x9 frame at 4000 dpi and 4 passes, which produced over 110 mega pixels image.
The size of the file is 670 mega bytes.
This is probably good for landscapes, not for portraiture

I also re-scanned the above image (with copts, which is 2000 dpi and 4 passes) at 4000 dpi and 4 passes.

The 4000 dpi and 4 passes provide more pleasant colors (more deep or saturated to my eyes) and, I think, add a bit of sharpness.

I will proceed new scan this evening and, if not forget, post here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up