Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Durability of xsi (450D) or xti (400D) bodies  (Read 1348 times)

jenbenn

• http://
Durability of xsi (450D) or xti (400D) bodies
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:50:28 am »

Dear all,
my 30D died last week after only 18 months and 10.000 shots. Since I have a considerable investment in canon glass I will have to buy a new Canon body. The camera will be used mainly for travel photography (see my homepage: http://www.photography-in-style.de ). It will NOT be subjected to rain BUT certainly to extrem humidity and heat since I travel to South Asia on a regular basis. Sometimes the camera might also have to withstand dusty environments.

So I am asking current xti (400D) and xsi (450D) owners if they have used the respective cameras in such conditions and how they fared.

Please keep in mind that I treat my equipment very well and that in high humidity the cameras will be stored in air tight containers with silica gel when not in use. (This means that during actual use, 6 hours a day for 4 weeks in a row, they will of course be subjected to the weather conditions described above).

Please keep also in mind that I will buy at least two xsi (450D) bodies if your experience convinces me that the camera is up to the job. I never travel without a backup body. Please DONT suggest to buy 1D bodies since they are way to heavy and expensive for me. The only real alternative would be a new 40D plus my old repaired 30D as backup. However, I find the latter cameras too heavy for travel and I like to get rid of the 30d since I dont trust it anymore. IN adition I feel that they might not be better sealed than the xsi.
Many thanks for sharing your experience!

Brad Proctor

Durability of xsi (450D) or xti (400D) bodies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:03:25 am »

I've owned my 400D since Oct 2006 and with 18,000 shots it's still running strong.  It's been in all kinds of conditions, including rain (usually just sprinkles, but enough to get it wet) and enough humidity that I had a hard time keeping the lens from fogging up.
Brad Proctor
Pages: [1]   Go Up