Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Purchaseing question --- I hate to ask  (Read 2154 times)

canlogic

• http://
Purchaseing question --- I hate to ask
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:27:53 pm »

I hate to ask this type of question but..  I have been thinking about getting back in to MF and have been reading the threads here for the last while. I used to shoot MF with a HB back in the 70's then with a couple of Bronicas early 90's but then went digital. I had pretty well decided on the Mamiya with a P31+ back or even the Mamiya back to get started. The price from Vistek is about 24500.00 with the 55-110 lens. I now see HB has lowered the Price to 18000.00 or 22000.00 with the HB 55-110 lens at BH. Roughly a 2k savings by buying the HB system. What are the good/bad points of both. I know the HB is a locked in system (doesn't bother me so much) and I have read of some problems with the Mamiya but I think mostly with their own back.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:09:45 am »

I hate to ask this type of question but..  I have been thinking about getting back in to MF and have been reading the threads here for the last while. I used to shoot MF with a HB back in the 70's then with a couple of Bronicas early 90's but then went digital. I had pretty well decided on the Mamiya with a P31+ back or even the Mamiya back to get started. The price from Vistek is about 24500.00 with the 55-110 lens. I now see HB has lowered the Price to 18000.00 or 22000.00 with the HB 55-110 lens at BH. Roughly a 2k savings by buying the HB system. What are the good/bad points of both. I know the HB is a locked in system (doesn't bother me so much) and I have read of some problems with the Mamiya but I think mostly with their own back.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am sure you know the physical differences between the cameras..

H1 800 flash synch

M 125 flash synch

to me the H is a big winner on this front BUT there are roumoured leaf lenses for the mamiya - and you can get decent flash from a mamiya by using a Rz767

H lenses far more expensive APART from the mamiya 28 which is more expensive than the H version

I think you need to price out your whole system including any lenses you desire

Also consider any other desire you have - like T/S - mamiya have an old manual lens, H have a rumoured new product

so that is two rumors (SP?) that you need to put into the mix - not a nice time to choose

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 08:27:26 am »

The T/S adapter for Hasselblad is no longer a rumour. If you are willing to accept a release on their website as being official enough.

I think with the H3DII31 at its current pricing Hasselblad has put down an excellent low price point.

Yes the lenses are really expensive with the exception of the HC28, which is still expensive but a lot cheaper than the Mamiya version. I find the HC lenses excellent in performance where I do have preferences for some over others. I wish they were cheaper.

The H bodies are not that insanely priced anymore (H2F and H3 spare body).

Indeed Mamiya is still cheaper but the difference is no longer what it used to be at least not in my perception.

I tried Mamiya and found it not my preferred system. I do like the Hasselblad H and use it for virtually anything I can. As long as I can stand hauling all the stuff around.

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:28:46 pm »

I am sure you know the physical differences between the cameras..

H1 800 flash synch

M 125 flash synch

to me the H is a big winner on this front BUT there are roumoured leaf lenses for the mamiya - and you can get decent flash from a mamiya by using a Rz767

H lenses far more expensive APART from the mamiya 28 which is more expensive than the H version

I think you need to price out your whole system including any lenses you desire

Also consider any other desire you have - like T/S - mamiya have an old manual lens, H have a rumoured new product

so that is two rumors (SP?) that you need to put into the mix - not a nice time to choose

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Mamiya has a max shutter of 1/4000, which I find more useful than higher flash sync on a daily basis.  You can also put lots and lots of manufacturers lenses on the Mamiya because it has a focal plane shutter.  I dig the FP shutter the most over a fast leaf shutter, but that's just me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up