Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've lost my mind  (Read 3370 times)

Tklimek

I've lost my mind
« on: June 21, 2008, 06:02:52 pm »

Folks....

I'm still getting acclimated to my printer and have a made a few prints.

I've purchased a license for Qimage and have been trying to use that since LR does not yet have softproofing.

So my first couple of prints on 16 inch and 10 inch roll paper came out fine.

For some reason, I'm now getting a larger page size than I'm specifying and for the life of me cannot figure out where I've gone wrong!

I've got a 10 inch roll loaded, and I've specified a "Paper Size" of 14 x 10.

I've got my image set to print 12 x 8; which should give roughly 1 inch border around the photo.

In printing in both from LR 1.41 and Qimage; when I measure the final page size the long edge is 15 and 6/16!!  I've picked up an inch and 5/16's!!.

I've tried with a a page size of 16 x 10 and I end up with a final page size (long edge) of 16 and 10/16.  I've picked up an extra 10/16!!

?????  Where am I going wrong?  This can only be set in the printer driver; is that correct?

Any thoughts?

Puzzled in Chicago.....

TK

aduke

I've lost my mind
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:10:06 pm »

Folks....

I've purchased a license for Qimage and have been trying to use that since LR does not yet have softproofing.

For some reason, I'm now getting a larger page size than I'm specifying and for the life of me cannot figure out where I've gone wrong!

I've got my image set to print 12 x 8; which should give roughly 1 inch border around the photo.

In printing in both from LR 1.41 and Qimage; when I measure the final page size the long edge is 15 and 6/16!!  I've picked up an inch and 5/16's!!.

I've tried with a a page size of 16 x 10 and I end up with a final page size (long edge) of 16 and 10/16.  I've picked up an extra 10/16!!

?????  Where am I going wrong?  This can only be set in the printer driver; is that correct?

Any thoughts?

Puzzled in Chicago.....

TK
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202747\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you have borderless turned on? Having it on causes the printer to expanc the print size in order to not leave a border.

I regularly print on roll paper using QImage and get the image size specified on the specified paper size.

Alan

Tklimek

I've lost my mind
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 06:34:57 pm »

Thanks for the tip Alan.

I just double checked and I do not have the "Borderless" box checked.

The printed image size is "spot on" (12 x 8); it's the actual physical dimensions of the paper that are not correct.  This obviously gives me greater than 1 inch borders on both the right and left sides of the print; which is wasting paper.

This is driving me nuts!  I'm guessing since I get the same results from both LR and Qimage, it must be in the printer/driver.

Any one have any ideas?

Cheers....

Todd

Folks....

In printing in both from LR 1.41 and Qimage; when I measure the final page size the long edge is 15 and 6/16!!  I've picked up an inch and 5/16's!!.

I've tried with a a page size of 16 x 10 and I end up with a final page size (long edge) of 16 and 10/16.  I've picked up an extra 10/16!!

?????  Where am I going wrong?  This can only be set in the printer driver; is that correct?

Any thoughts?

Puzzled in Chicago.....

TK
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202747\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
I've lost my mind
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:20:43 pm »

My 4800 seems to add an inch or so to the length on roll paper; it's never bothered me particularly.  Better a little too long than a little too short.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Tklimek

I've lost my mind
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:08:31 pm »

Wow...well thanks.  I guess in one sense that is a relief; but on the other hand a bit disappointing.  I can't imagine why this would be so.  I guess also I wonder if this behavior is *predictable* so one might be able to compensate for it.

Everyone agree with Nill?

Thanks again....

Cheers....

Todd

My 4800 seems to add an inch or so to the length on roll paper; it's never bothered me particularly.  Better a little too long than a little too short.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202761\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
I've lost my mind
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:27:32 pm »

I think this is pretty standard with roll paper on most printers.  I've always assumed it has to do with the mechanism dealing with paper curl, using  a little extra leading and trailing edge to keep it flat and avoid head strikes.  The cutters after time don't give you a real smooth cut on some printers.

I guess it's never bothered me because the amount of extra paper has never been a factor ... either I'm going to trim it to full bleed or I"m going to matt it.

It's logical that it would be consistent.  Print a few prints full bleed and measure how much white you get.  I would assume between tweaking the file (adding some white), and paper size you could end up with with a finished print size, assuming the white border you want is larger than the amount of white the printer is leaving.

mmurph

• http://
I've lost my mind
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:11:28 pm »

Don't know the 4880.

On the 7880, etc. you can set margins to 15mm (default) all around, or 3mm. I use the latter.

Then if you specify "no cut", the roll leaves extra paper. If you use roll with cut it should be accurate.

Otherwise my page sizes are spot on.  I set up my custom sizes with names like "22x34 image: 24x36 paper" and they are accuate.  Auto rotate will also help fit the image best to the roll.

Qimage has it's own margin settings though!  You get extra margins that Qimage adds on to your setup in the Epson driver.  Try different settings and layouts. Work with that to get rid of the excess.

Best,
M.
Pages: [1]   Go Up