Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you only had one lens  (Read 5958 times)

hobbsr

If you only had one lens
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:26:14 am »

Hi All,

As a follow on from my decision to buy a H3D 31 I am thinking that the best start out lens would be the 50-110 zoom. It is a versatile focal range even with the 1.3 FOV of the 31mpx back and is very sharp from all reports. Downside the cost, size and weight.

So looking for comments to if you only had one lens what would you use?

Rodney

jimgolden

• http://
If you only had one lens
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 12:22:22 pm »

i only have the 80 (on a 22MP) and I rent 120 + zoom a lot. I'd like to own the zoom, but it's enormous and heavy and I would never choose to use it  - it's only for jobs that I need it on...

the 80 is very sharp, fast and small (no prob handheld, etc). the 120 is big but not as heavy as the zoom - it's an amazing lens. i often think about the 1.7x for the 80.

the zoom is the zoom, nothing to write home about except versatility. w/ a close up ring it can double as a macro nicely.

again  - these are just my opinions...

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
If you only had one lens
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 12:52:38 pm »

Hi All,

As a follow on from my decision to buy a H3D 31 I am thinking that the best start out lens would be the 50-110 zoom. It is a versatile focal range even with the 1.3 FOV of the 31mpx back and is very sharp from all reports. Downside the cost, size and weight.

Rodney
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Go with the zoom, superb lens. I'll sell you a brand new 80mm lens - cheap, I have three of them (due to H kit purchases that Hasselblad refused to split up)! PM me if you're interested. Definately go with the zoom though. Good luck.

DavidP

• papas.com
If you only had one lens
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:31:45 pm »

I made the same decision to get the 50-110 as my only lens for a while. It has worked out  very well. Especially in the studio with strobes and on location on a tripod. shooting handheld with available light is not the best use of the lens. I find myself renting the 100f2.2 if I need to do something like that. The zoom covers my most useful focal lengths and is very sharp. I have been building up my wrist muscles shooting with it though.
I would be wary about buying one used, the earlier ones had some problems.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
If you only had one lens
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:33 pm »

I use the 35, 100 and 150 a lot. But also the zoom. If I would have to choose it would be the zoom followed by the 100. But that is just because of the way I shoot. It might be totally different for you.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
If you only had one lens
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »

i bought a 50 -110 used but mint condition, only 2000 shots on it. but its shutter died early, and cost me as much as the lens cost to repair it.

i think you consider getting this lens new with a warranty. i know of 2 others that this has happened to. other than that expensive repair, its a really good lens. i find it sharper at 50 and 110 than in between.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

douglasboyd

• http://dboyd.com
If you only had one lens
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:38:53 pm »

The size and weight of these lenses is the principal disadvantage of the H1/H2/H3 system.  My favorate lens for landscape is the 35mm, but the lens is huge--90mm diameter and around 2.5lb.  On a recent trip to Japan, I opted to take only the 80mm lens due to limits in what I could fit in my carryon luggage.  When I needed a wide shot, I shot multiple frames, and photostitched in CS3.  I find myself wondering if the grass is greener on the Mamiya 645 side, especially for travel.

==Doug

i bought a 50 -110 used but mint condition, only 2000 shots on it. but its shutter died early, and cost me as much as the lens cost to repair it.

i think you consider getting this lens new with a warranty. i know of 2 others that this has happened to. other than that expensive repair, its a really good lens. i find it sharper at 50 and 110 than in between.

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201588\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

amsp

If you only had one lens
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 05:43:36 pm »

The size and weight of these lenses is the principal disadvantage of the H1/H2/H3 system.  My favorate lens for landscape is the 35mm, but the lens is huge--90mm diameter and around 2.5lb.  On a recent trip to Japan, I opted to take only the 80mm lens due to limits in what I could fit in my carryon luggage.  When I needed a wide shot, I shot multiple frames, and photostitched in CS3.  I find myself wondering if the grass is greener on the Mamiya 645 side, especially for travel.

==Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Indeed this a huge advantage of the mamiya system, the lenses are small and light. Strangely enough this is a rarely mentioned fact when comparing the different platforms.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
If you only had one lens
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »

Indeed this a huge advantage of the mamiya system, the lenses are small and light. Strangely enough this is a rarely mentioned fact when comparing the different platforms.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Most of the Mamiya primes can be had for cheap.

They aren't the world's sharpest landscape lenses though.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
If you only had one lens
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 07:46:42 pm »

There is no  question, the 50-110 zoom. I can carry my camera around on a tripod with lens attached and use it 90 percent of the time while hiking.  I do use my 120mm macro quite a bit though but obviously more limited.  

When traveling I take the 28mm, 50-110mm, 100mm (sometimes)  210mm and 1.7x TC and extension tubes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 07:47:04 pm by MarkKay »

BobDavid

If you only had one lens
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 08:19:36 pm »

Most of the Mamiya primes can be had for cheap.

They aren't the world's sharpest landscape lenses though.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are a few "winners" in the Mamiya prime lineup -- 80 f/2.8, 55 f/2.8, 120 f/4 macro, and perhaps some teles.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:20:59 pm by BobDavid »

TechTalk

If you only had one lens
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 09:24:57 pm »

The most important factor is the type of subject matter that you want to photograph. In your earlier thread you stated... "I am making this investment to offer a different type of IQ to my wedding and portrait clients and in the longer term be able to do some fine art prints and maybe start doing some more commercial work."

Given this usage, I would recommend the 50-110mm zoom. The image quality is really quite amazing and it is a useful range for the variety of applications that you have in mind.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
If you only had one lens
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 11:55:17 am »

Hi All,

Rodney

Firstly if you can only afford one lense why dont you go Canon and get 5 leneses and a ds3

on paper the zoom looks to be the solution - and if I was limited to one lens it would probably have to be that

BUT

in reality I shoot mainly handheld and picked it up once and my neck back and arms said NO NO NO NO

I bought the 50 - money didnt come into the equation

You will end up buying more lenses no doubt and if the zoom end up staying in your bag then it ends up being a waste of money

The 50 - lovely - that would be my one lens

in reality I have an 80 too and a 1.7 converter

do the maths on that combo

That would be my budget entry to the H system

thats what lives in Bag1 with my blad

I am lucky enought to have a bag2 which contains the 35 but is rarely opened

befroe you buy the zoom check out the minimum focus didstance - I dont know but guess it may be a bit poor compared to the primes

with the 80 the 13mm extension is the best spent money in the blad system

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

kevinwilson

• http://www.kevinwilson.co.uk
If you only had one lens
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 02:28:26 pm »

Hi All,

Rodney

I have the 80 and the 50-110, both good lenses. If you can make do with the weight, take the 50-110.
Kevin

jimgolden

If you only had one lens
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 03:00:40 pm »

sam's idea sounds like a great compromise...

bjornaagedk

If you only had one lens
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 03:18:13 pm »

I tested the 50-110 zoom against the 100mm lens and found that the 100mm was so much better. So I bought the 100mm and the 35mm, now looking for the 50,80,120 macro, 200 and 300mm lenses.

Bjorn
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:19:44 pm by bjornaagedk »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
If you only had one lens
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 04:18:43 pm »

sam's idea sounds like a great compromise...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201771\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its not an idea - its whats in my bag !

would I swap for a zoom - no

would I swap the 1.7 converter for a 110 - yes

S
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:19:34 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
If you only had one lens
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 06:09:55 pm »

Can you be more specific on what you mean by better. I have all of the lenses you mention except I just sold the 50mm.  In my opinion with the exception of the 120mm macro, the optics on the primes in the range of the zoom are pretty equal if you consider resolving fine detail  and color.  The 100mm gives better bokeh and is faster at f2.2. I can see a difference between the 100 and zoom if i take the shots without a tripod since it is more difficult to perfectly stabilize the zoom when holding.  I find the zoom to be optically a little better for sharpness at f4 than the 50mm prime but they are so close.

I tested the 50-110 zoom against the 100mm lens and found that the 100mm was so much better. So I bought the 100mm and the 35mm, now looking for the 50,80,120 macro, 200 and 300mm lenses.

Bjorn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201773\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

JTFOTO

If you only had one lens
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:09 am »

I would never travel with just one lens. At least two, especially one with a built in shutter.  Too much to go wrong and Murphy is always lingering.

The 50-110 with the 80 or35 depending on your needs.  Or the 50mm, 100mm and the 1.7 converter.  As well as the CF adapter in case both break.  You can get a Hassy V lens just about anywhere in the world and cheap.

Best of luck

JT
Pages: [1]   Go Up