Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New software is helping a lot  (Read 3806 times)

samuel_js

New software is helping a lot
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:47:06 pm »

Hi all,
I just opened a test shot in C1 4.1. The file is from a p20 on a 503 CW handheld at iso 800.
I didn't touch anything. Everything is standard settings in C1.  I was very surprised of the results. Maybe isn't as clean as the Sinar shot posted by Thierry but this is way older back compared and it hasn't been processed in any way. I suppose results could be even better with a little more time.
I also tested a print and I was very pleased with the film-like look.
I think the new version of C1 is definitely doing a great job here, as I've never seen a cleaner P20 or P25 file at this ISO. The tiffs look even better than thi web jpgs.... Could it be that a big part of the DB noise is actually in the software and not in the construction of the back?
I'd like to know what you think. Here are some crops:

Full frame

/Samuel
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:48:10 pm by samuel_js »

amsp

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 03:29:30 pm »

Huh, you think that's good? There is color noise all over the place.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:42:27 pm »

That noise would clean up easily and wouldn't be seen in a print anyway.

Software can't be the cause of noise, but I suspect that Phase has built in some basic noise reduction into C1 and perhaps that feature has been improved.

samuel_js

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:59:16 pm »

Huh, you think that's good? There is color noise all over the place.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think is good for being an unprocessed ISO 800, yes. I didn't tweak anything. It's like "here's what you've got to work on". See my point?

RobertJ

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 04:01:43 pm »

From what I've seen, C1 4 allows you to turn off Luminance NR COMPLETELY, unlike version 3.x.x, where even if you have luminance NR at zero, there's still *something* going on there with the NR.

You said you're using default settings:  I believe the default luminance NR is set to 35.  If you turn it off to zero, you'll get more detail.  The only reason these crops don't look that great is because of the color noise.

The only thing I don't like about C14 is it's chrominance NR.  If you set it to MAX, the color in other areas of the image become REALLY messed up.  If you set just a little, or set the slider to the middle, it still doesn't do a great job, IMO.

I use Canon DPP RAW convertor to remove color noise, believe it or not.  I think it does the BEST job of any software (uh, and it's free if you have a Canon camera).  

Just bring in the 16 bit TIFF from the converted RAW into DPP, and remove that nasty color noise.  Or use a NR program, but make sure the NR software you use doesn't remove detail.

amsp

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 04:09:54 pm »

I think is good for being an unprocessed ISO 800, yes. I didn't tweak anything. It's like "here's what you've got to work on". See my point?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196635\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What do you mean "unprocessed?" you said you used C1 4.0?
Here's a shot I posted in another thread from my P25 at iso800 processed in C1 3.8. As you can see it's got none of that nasty color noise...

[attachment=6649:attachment]

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:17:48 pm »

Here's a shot I posted in another thread from my P25 at iso800 processed in C1 3.8. As you can see it's got none of that nasty color noise...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow your p25 is way better than my p20.   Actually Samuel's P20 is better than my p20 too.  I don't like to even shoot at ISO 200 ....   I'll have to try some file in the C1 version.
Rolleiflex USA

samuel_js

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you didn't read my post.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']I didn't tweak the image to remove the noise[/span].

My point is that C1 4.1 with default settings, opens the images already much cleaner than older versions .

amsp

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 04:36:34 pm »

I think you didn't read my post.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']I didn't tweak the image to remove the noise[/span].

My point is that C1 4.1 with default settings, opens the images already much cleaner than older versions .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Default in C1 4.0 has noise reduction turned ON, so I'm not sure what your point is. Besides, who cares what it looks like with default settings? If you think 4.0 is better you should show what it looks like when you've tweaked your settings to get the best result. Oh, and FYI writing with a bigger font won't make your argument more valid.

samuel_js

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:45:39 pm »

This is with a bit of NR tweak...
Actally, I'm finding the file much better from start in C1, but removing the noise seems not as affective as in LR.  

The only thing I don't like about C14 is it's chrominance NR.  If you set it to MAX, the color in other areas of the image become REALLY messed up.  If you set just a little, or set the slider to the middle, it still doesn't do a great job, IMO.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Totally agree!

samuel_js

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »

Default in C1 4.0 has noise reduction turned ON, so I'm not sure what your point is. Besides, who cares what it looks like with default settings? If you think 4.0 is better you should show what it looks like when you've tweaked your settings to get the best result. Oh, and FYI writing with a bigger font won't make your argument more valid.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I started this thread because I'm a bit tired of hearing people complain about the bad hight ISO of our DBs.
Of course the file can be worked to remove all noise. But that file opened in C1 without any tweak didn't look that bad to me. And this proves that only a light work session makes a IS0 800 file very good IMO. My 1Ds was awful at 800/1250 compared to this file.

And I actually like a lot the film feeling of it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:29:30 pm by samuel_js »

Kitty

• http://
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 11:02:24 pm »

I started this thread because I'm a bit tired of hearing people complain about the bad hight ISO of our DBs.
Of course the file can be worked to remove all noise. But that file opened in C1 without any tweak didn't look that bad to me. And this proves that only a light work session makes a IS0 800 file very good IMO. My 1Ds was awful at 800/1250 compared to this file.

And I actually like a lot the film feeling of it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

100% agree. C1 v.4.1 is very nice. I prefer color over LR. It look more and more film look with color and noise. I just wish they will design interface like LR. I prefer interface v.3.7 clean and simple. But I like to new feature and quality of v.4

IMHO MF may look noisy sometimes because of it's sharpness.

kitty
Pages: [1]   Go Up