Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems Tethering in C1 4.1?  (Read 7972 times)

TMARK

Problems Tethering in C1 4.1?
« on: May 18, 2008, 06:38:55 pm »

Configuration:  P30+, AFd, Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 7 gigs, 7200 rpm drive, OS X.11.

First shot is fine, transferred to the computer just like in 3.8.  Cannot take the next shot.  I get the "db busy" message in the camera viewfinder.  Shooting from teh computer gives me a "configuration" error.  Unplugging/plugging the FW cord brings no joy, neither does turning the back on and off.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?  

Thanks

jonstewart

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:44:40 am »

AFDII/P45 to MBP 2.5 works fine.

(I know it's not an answer, but if everybody else's work, it must be something else)

However, I did need to get a firmware update for the AFDII, as the same error happened, first time I tried to shoot tethered. However, if you've used this hardware on a previous version of C1, I can't imagine that'd be it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:46:47 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Snook

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:10 am »

AFDII/P45 to MBP 2.5 works fine.

(I know it's not an answer, but if everybody else's work, it must be something else)

However, I did need to get a firmware update for the AFDII, as the same error happened, first time I tried to shoot tethered. However, if you've used this hardware on a previous version of C1, I can't imagine that'd be it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hey John thanks for the info and what firmware and where did you get it..
Please inform us some more.
I also have an AFDII bought used and not sure if it has the right firmware or not?
Thanks
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:21:38 am »

Configuration:  P30+, AFd, Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 7 gigs, 7200 rpm drive, OS X.11.

First shot is fine, transferred to the computer just like in 3.8.  Cannot take the next shot.  I get the "db busy" message in the camera viewfinder.  Shooting from teh computer gives me a "configuration" error.  Unplugging/plugging the FW cord brings no joy, neither does turning the back on and off.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue? 

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've shot tethered to several different backs.  I'm not sure what back you are using, but check your DB settings to make sure that it is on auto-detect.  It will seek out CF card or FireWire, depending on what is plugged in.  If you keep having issues, give us a call and ask for Tim Palmer in Atlanta or Doug Peterson in Miami.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:28:27 am »

I've shot tethered to several different backs.  I'm not sure what back you are using, but check your DB settings to make sure that it is on auto-detect.  It will seek out CF card or FireWire, depending on what is plugged in.  If you keep having issues, give us a call and ask for Tim Palmer in Atlanta or Doug Peterson in Miami.
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
CAn someone clarify something:
DO you actually nee just 4.1 to shoot tethered or do you shoot to 3.7.8 and the 4.1 captures the Hotfolder?
Can we shoot tethered just to or having 4.1
By the way I have an AFD/RZ both with the P30
Thanks
Snook
I would rather know some of this info before installing 4.1 in my computer!

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:56 am »

I've shot tethered to several different backs.  I'm not sure what back you are using, but check your DB settings to make sure that it is on auto-detect.  It will seek out CF card or FireWire, depending on what is plugged in.  If you keep having issues, give us a call and ask for Tim Palmer in Atlanta or Doug Peterson in Miami.
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris,

Its on auto detect and shoots the first frame just fine.  I removed the CF and the battery just in case, and still no joy.  I'm not in a hurry because 3.7 works VERY well.  I'll give Tim or Doug a shout later today.  I saw on the C1 Support Forum that someone else had the same problem with their Phase back on a Contax, so I'm not alone.

Snook,

You can shoot straight into 4.1.  I do like the color rendering better that in C1 3.7 and better than ACR.  It really is nice, just wish there was some more control over the color.

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:43:36 am »

I tried tethering into 4.1 with my P30+/H2 yesterday, and the same thing happened to me. The first few frames (maybe 5 or 6) were ok, and then I started getting the error message "back busy" on the H2.

I restarted everything, was able to shoot one frame, then came the error again.

Any ideas? I'll check out the Phase forum too.

It's too bad, as the previews in 4.1 look great. 3.7.8 works fine, but the preview images are (and have always been) terrible.

Snook

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 10:58:17 am »

I tried tethering into 4.1 with my P30+/H2 yesterday, and the same thing happened to me. The first few frames (maybe 5 or 6) were ok, and then I started getting the error message "back busy" on the H2.

I restarted everything, was able to shoot one frame, then came the error again.

Any ideas? I'll check out the Phase forum too.

It's too bad, as the previews in 4.1 look great. 3.7.8 works fine, but the preview images are (and have always been) terrible.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think one of the WORST forums on the Planet is the Phase One forums!!
What a Joke they are.. look at the dates and responses..
Seems No body over at Phase One cares about anything!!
Thanks for the Updates.... way more info here than at the PhaseOne sites!
Snook

jonstewart

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:09:22 am »

Hey John thanks for the info and what firmware and where did you get it..
Please inform us some more.
I also have an AFDII bought used and not sure if it has the right firmware or not?
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure how to get at what version the camera has, but the work was done last October. Unfortunately the camera firmware is not user upgradable... bet they didn't fix that on the new Phase/ Mamiya AFD??

The P45 firmware would be last September, when I got it from Doug, at CI (At least *he* told me he's upped the firmware, if I remember right!)

Hope this helps
J
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:11:14 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart

jonstewart

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 11:15:03 am »

Hells Bells,

I shot for three days with 4.1 DB - no probs - and now today, when I start shooting, I have the same problem as well!

Grrrrr!

EDIT: The only connection I can make, and it may not be significant, is that it started showing this error after I put the mirror up, but forgot to turn off the AF.

The only good news is that the camera / back still works with 3.7.8

FURTHER TESTING: After shooting a frame tethered with 3.7.8, the camera / back starts working again with 4.1 (after 3.7.8 was closed). Works irrespective of whether captured from button on computer, shutter release on camera, and whether or not MF / AF is selected on either lens or focus selection on camera, and whether I try mirror up with AF 'accidentally' left on.

Conclusion: 4.1 is messing with settings on back, or not supplying confirmation to back that it has successfully captured, or some data of that type, hence completing the capture cycle.

Can Phase One do anything right (apart from low noise / iso, long exposure)?

Hope this helps. Get a move on Phase!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:03:25 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart

TMARK

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 12:31:41 pm »

I'm at the lab waiting for clips.  Doug and Tim from Capture Integration suggested trashing the prefs for C1 4 and then trying it out.  Can someone with the issue try that and post the results?

Thanks,

T

jonstewart

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:54 pm »

I'm at the lab waiting for clips.  Doug and Tim from Capture Integration suggested trashing the prefs for C1 4 and then trying it out.  Can someone with the issue try that and post the results?

Thanks,

T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

3.7.8 and 4.1 seem to use the same library resources, so Doug and Tim's suggestion might have the same effect as starting 3.7.8 shooting tethered and thus overwriting the prefs.
Jon Stewart

DavidLondon

• http://
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 01:12:01 pm »

p30+ and Contax locks up after a few frames with C1 4.1. I had to restart computer (Mac intel) and got a few more frames. Haven't put it on the laptop for now as I don't trust it at all yet!

Snook

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 02:00:48 pm »

p30+ and Contax locks up after a few frames with C1 4.1. I had to restart computer (Mac intel) and got a few more frames. Haven't put it on the laptop for now as I don't trust it at all yet!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196598\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I hope this is a small case and only the guys with troubles are writing here??
Are some guys having success???
You would think that Phase One would have tested it thoroughly!!! Duh!
I doubt they have...
Too bad they make great backs b/c their public relations STINK!
Is anybody shooting tethered with Lightroom and DB backs??
Thanks for all the information!!!  
Snook

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 11:46:29 am »

My experience was a total failure with a P25 that has had no problem in 2 years of work with C1 3.x... and I got used to it, so this is beginning to worry me since is not the only problem with C14...

It is sad because I really like Capture 1 as a program, but if the boat is leaking, the crew is not responding and passengers are looking for ways out (LR) ....

I hope this is a small case and only the guys with troubles are writing here??
Are some guys having success???
You would think that Phase One would have tested it thoroughly!!! Duh!
I doubt they have...
Too bad they make great backs b/c their public relations STINK!
Is anybody shooting tethered with Lightroom and DB backs??
Thanks for all the information!!!  
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

Snook

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 01:27:29 pm »

My experience was a total failure with a P25 that has had no problem in 2 years of work with C1 3.x... and I got used to it, so this is beginning to worry me since is not the only problem with C14...

It is sad because I really like Capture 1 as a program, but if the boat is leaking, the crew is not responding and passengers are looking for ways out (LR) ....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I too Love Lightroom but have not totally got my hands into.. been waiting to see what PhaseOne is going to do or where they go.
I also think C-1 is really smooth shooting tethered but actually have never even tried Lightroom shooting tethered?
It is  a shame that Phase has been lazy lately!!!
I have been using their program for many years now...
What are you guys shooting tethered with if not C-1 for Phase Backs??
Thanks
Snook

woof75

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 01:50:09 pm »

I too Love Lightroom but have not totally got my hands into.. been waiting to see what PhaseOne is going to do or where they go.
I also think C-1 is really smooth shooting tethered but actually have never even tried Lightroom shooting tethered?
It is  a shame that Phase has been lazy lately!!!
I have been using their program for many years now...
What are you guys shooting tethered with if not C-1 for Phase Backs??
Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the problem with phase can be seen when you see there videos on there site about the capture one software. There's no great big team of programmers have like I'm sure Adobe has, it seems like it's 4 or 5 guys. I don't think it's lazyness, not that this helps at all... Strange how they'd put out software with such obvious faults. The quality of the conversions is undoubtedly the best though, at least with a P21.

TMARK

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:26 pm »

I think the problem with phase can be seen when you see there videos on there site about the capture one software. There's no great big team of programmers have like I'm sure Adobe has, it seems like it's 4 or 5 guys. I don't think it's lazyness, not that this helps at all... Strange how they'd put out software with such obvious faults. The quality of the conversions is undoubtedly the best though, at least with a P21.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196819\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.  I'm not livid or pissed about this issue.  These companies really consist of a handful of people.  I actually find it amazing that they can produce these products in the first place, and that they (for the most part) function almost identically.  I'm sure they tested tethered shooting before it went out, but missed this issue.  Perhaps they only tested certain backs, perhaps they used Macs unsullied by non-capture/digital darkroom activity. Who knows.  This is not the pro version, so I don't expect it to have Pro features that work flawlessly.  Perhaps they should have said that the tethering functionality was beta? I look at it as a beta for Pro.  What I do expect is the Pro version of 4 to be as reliable as 3.7xxPro.  

As to LR, I use it for difficult images because its tool set is incredible.  C1 4 is really nice, but needs more controls.  If it had an HSL function and distortion correction I would never even use photoshop much less LR.

Snook

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 09:06:39 am »

I agree.  I'm not livid or pissed about this issue.  These companies really consist of a handful of people.  I actually find it amazing that they can produce these products in the first place, and that they (for the most part) function almost identically.  I'm sure they tested tethered shooting before it went out, but missed this issue.  Perhaps they only tested certain backs, perhaps they used Macs unsullied by non-capture/digital darkroom activity. Who knows.  This is not the pro version, so I don't expect it to have Pro features that work flawlessly.  Perhaps they should have said that the tethering functionality was beta? I look at it as a beta for Pro.  What I do expect is the Pro version of 4 to be as reliable as 3.7xxPro. 

As to LR, I use it for difficult images because its tool set is incredible.  C1 4 is really nice, but needs more controls.  If it had an HSL function and distortion correction I would never even use photoshop much less LR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Has anybody tried the 4.1.1 that just came out?
wondering if it fixes some of the bugs???
Snook

TMARK

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 09:52:06 am »

Has anybody tried the 4.1.1 that just came out?
wondering if it fixes some of the bugs???
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I dodn't even know it was out!  I'll see if I can get it on my machine and do a test before I head out of town.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up