Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DsmkIII The truth  (Read 16172 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:56:53 am »

Thats a bit much to hope for on the WWW.
Users here, have any of you suffered with focus problems with this camera that can be considered beyond doubt the cameras fault?
If so under which circumstances?
This is in relation to the "S" model only.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Andy M

• http://
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:55:31 am »

Sorry (thankfully), I haven't.

It's been perfect for me aside from: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article...1ds3_tilt.html/

Mine's been superb for me.

Keith_Fitz

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:43:21 am »

just the tilt problem here too - oh and having to be more careful with user technique, steady hands or solid tripod required if not shooting at high shutter speeds. No problems with focusing at all.

francois

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:48:12 am »

No tilt, no AF problem so far!

Francois

Andy M

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:48:19 am »

Keith & Francois - may I ask for the first few numbers of your cameras serial, and when you bought them?

Supposedly the tilt problem only affected the first lot of cameras. I purchased mine in Jan '08, and mine suffers.

francois

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:10:46 pm »

Keith & Francois - may I ask for the first few numbers of your cameras serial, and when you bought them?

Supposedly the tilt problem only affected the first lot of cameras. I purchased mine in Jan '08, and mine suffers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Andy,
I got mine about 6 weeks ago (serial: 615xxx). It came with firmware 1.0.6. Tilt was the first thing I tested....
Francois

sojournerphoto

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:13 pm »

Users here, have any of you suffered with focus problems with this camera that can be considered beyond doubt the cameras fault?

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's a great camera. My viewfinder is straight, but very slightly crops the cottom of the frame. I've not sent it in yet, but will probably get round to it sometime. Everything else is outstanding and I find it much better to use than my 5D as well as giving higher image quality.. I got it a couple of months ago.

Mike

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:39:19 am »

I'm currently giving a pair of them a regular beating with no problems.

Also not seen any dust yet.

Very impressed.

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:47:15 am »

Kevin.

Nope, it's been stellar.  I've mostly used it for landscape, but have had some good success with elk in three or four locations in and around Prairie Creek Redwoods in different lighting conditions.
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

Andy M

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 04:12:31 am »

I've just been on the phone to the repair centre. My 1Ds was 13 degrees (!!!) out.

They've now ordered 'spacers' from Canon, which may take up to 3 working days to be delivered.

Andy M

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 04:39:36 am »

I've just been on the phone to the repair centre. My 1Ds was 13 degrees (!!!) out.

I've checked this out on previous shots my own computer - I think they may have this wrong, it being closer to 1.3 degrees out.

Surely 13 degrees would be hugely noticeable?!

carl dw

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:08:59 am »

Kevin.

Having moaned on and on about having to go through eight 1Ds3 bodies to find one with a viewfinder that actually tells the truth about the where I'm pointing the camera, I've now put a few thousand frames on the clock.

I did have a focus issue with an 85 1.2 wide but rectified this with a +13 focus adjustment for that lens alone. Strangely, the same lens is perfect on my Mk2.

It could be this need for fine tuning of individual lenses that you are also experiencing.

I do own Canon zoom lenses but because I've found none of them to be reliably sharp right across there zoom range I avoid using them whenever possible. I have a 24-70 that's razor sharp at 70mm, like looking through a milkbottle bottom at 35mm then 'reasonable' at 24mm (It is, of course, in the eye of the beholder).

Zoom optical technology has moved on tremendously, but the glass and mechanics have to work so much harder than in a prime. With a Mk3 sensor pushing glass as far as it will go it seems to make sense to give the glass a fighting chance! A mechanical error in a lens is no longer measured in a fraction of a millimeter but a wavelength of light.

Out of interest, like so many Canon users I've found even their 'L' series wide angle prime lenses to be woefully lacking. I recently grabbed a Zeiss 21mm and I'm simply staggered by the clarity, colour and complete lack of chromatic abberation - right into the corners. Oh, and of course no more bendy lines either! Well done Zeiss of old - wake up Canon of present!

Apologies for going on a bit, sat here with a coffee waiting for the light outside to improve!

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:26:21 am »

No problems so far with my camera.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

francois

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 05:28:19 am »

I've checked this out on previous shots my own computer - I think they may have this wrong, it being closer to 1.3 degrees out.

Surely 13 degrees would be hugely noticeable?!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, it must be 1.3°. I don't even think that it's possible to get to 13°.
Francois

Keith_Fitz

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:46:17 am »

Hi Andy,
serial 614xxx and i bought it in feb in the UK

keith_cooper

• Northlight Images
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 06:49:59 am »

608xxx - got it last last November, so an early one I'd think :-)
It's the one in the Northlight article.

Not fixed yet (waiting for a bit of spare time) but it has enabled me to learn to use liveview a bit more in my interior and architectural work (the only times I really use a tripod)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:53:00 am by keith_cooper »
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:29 am »

OK all, I have one now sitting in it's box on the kitchen table, as soon as clients stop bothering me with requests for images, I'll open the box.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Andy M

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 01:12:27 pm »

OK all, I have one now sitting in it's box on the kitchen table, as soon as clients stop bothering me with requests for images, I'll open the box.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At the very least, put it on charge...  

sojournerphoto

1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 02:26:50 pm »

Having moaned on and on about having to go through eight 1Ds3 bodies to find one with a viewfinder that actually tells the truth about the where I'm pointing the camera, I've now put a few thousand frames on the clock.

I did have a focus issue with an 85 1.2 wide but rectified this with a +13 focus adjustment for that lens alone. Strangely, the same lens is perfect on my Mk2.

It could be this need for fine tuning of individual lenses that you are also experiencing.

I do own Canon zoom lenses but because I've found none of them to be reliably sharp right across there zoom range I avoid using them whenever possible. I have a 24-70 that's razor sharp at 70mm, like looking through a milkbottle bottom at 35mm then 'reasonable' at 24mm (It is, of course, in the eye of the beholder).

Zoom optical technology has moved on tremendously, but the glass and mechanics have to work so much harder than in a prime. With a Mk3 sensor pushing glass as far as it will go it seems to make sense to give the glass a fighting chance! A mechanical error in a lens is no longer measured in a fraction of a millimeter but a wavelength of light.

Out of interest, like so many Canon users I've found even their 'L' series wide angle prime lenses to be woefully lacking. I recently grabbed a Zeiss 21mm and I'm simply staggered by the clarity, colour and complete lack of chromatic abberation - right into the corners. Oh, and of course no more bendy lines either! Well done Zeiss of old - wake up Canon of present!

Apologies for going on a bit, sat here with a coffee waiting for the light outside to improve!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, it's a great excuse to go back to primes:)

Mike

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
1DsmkIII The truth
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 03:55:57 am »

Yep, it's a great excuse to go back to primes:)

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My problem is the camera does not really excite me much. What I have really got an itch to do is shoot with a 12 1/2 inch 1940's Portrait lens I have just bought, I have been putting a 5x7 kit together and just waiting for the final piece of the jigsaw to arrive from Germany. That's all for fun, the Canon is work, I have at least read the Canon manual a couple of times now. It will most likely be Monday before I get a chance to shoot with it. Now if the 5x7 bits turn up today, that will be my weekend sorted.

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up