Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Slot Canyons....  (Read 8296 times)

One Horse Studio

New Slot Canyons....
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »

Just returned from Page, Arizona. I have done Antelope Canyon several times and have always been disappointed by the crowds. At times it is like a "white sale" at Walmart.  
On this trip I met guide Carol Bigthumb and got to tour some private slot canyons. These slot canyons are in an area that her family controls, so access is restricted.
The main canyon, Mountain Sheep Canyon is about a mile long and rivals Antelope in its beauty. I shared this canyon with one other photographer for half a day. Got some great pictures.
If anyone is interested Carol can be contacted through her website:
www.aacpth.com
I heartily recommend this tour. It is really great.

Greg......

framah

New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:55:46 am »

Greg... Did you do both upper and lower Antelope canyons? I find that the upper one is a major tourist spot and usually filled with people where the lower is "less traveled" so to speak. Even with 15 to 20 people in there, I never felt crowded out. Plus you can spend alot more time in there than upper.

I would love to go to another slot than where everyone else goes. Thanks for the tip.  Her website does not mention anything about the other place you mention. A secret place you have to ask about?
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

One Horse Studio

New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:34:08 pm »

I think it is part of one of the packages that she offers. The big canyon is called "Mountain Sheep" canyon and the other smaller one that I went to was called "Rattlesnake" canyon(didn't see any snakes...:0).
When I got to Upper Antelope my small group was one of the first in so it wasn't too bad. By the end of the first hour the place was packed.....six tour groups at one time. Didn't get to the lower canyon. Will make sure that I do that one next trip.

Greg...

One Horse Studio

New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:53:23 pm »

Just finished  up some of the pictures from Mt. Sheep Canyon.

http://www.onehorsestudio.com/Mt.Sheep%20Canyon/

There are some really nice places in this canyon.

Greg....

Panopeeper

New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 02:21:08 pm »

Nice shots. I find it interesting, that the yellowish and purplish rock walls appear in the very same image, particularly in #2 and #6.  

I experienced the same "color ambiguity" in the Lower Antelope. When I processed the images, I was not sure of the colors in the canyon any more. I had a shot with a white card, but when I picked WB on that card, the colors appeared strange. Finally, I accepted that white balancing has no sense in that situation  (an Illustrated Guide).
Gabor

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »

Very nice Slot pics, some of the best I have seen.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out the website.

daleeman

• http://
New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 02:34:17 pm »

Hi,
I wonder if you might consider doing an introduction for us to your new friend. I would love to see these canyons.

One Horse Studio

New Slot Canyons....
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »

Panopeeper: I use the Expo Disc to set the white balance. The colors and light in the canyons just drive my camera (D2x) crazy. When I opened the raw files the color temp was over 10,000. Go figure. I just like the colors no matter what. Just a little extra work to get what you want.

Daleeman: Just call or email her. She's a really nice person. Just tell her Greg sent you.

Spotmeter: Thank you. The canyons in this area are one of my favorite places to go and take pictures. It's never the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up