Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1s Mark III Noise  (Read 12546 times)

danazoo

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:17 am »

Since I got my new Canon 1ds Mark III, I have noticed a problem in noise. This camera is said to be superb in its low noise capacity. In my experience, this is the noisiest camera I have ever had. And I have had 16 top of the line digital cameras in the past six years.

Tonight I shot some dusk sunset images at f/11-16, ISO 200, exposure 5-8 seconds. The images are filled with single white ghost pixels. No amount of noise reduction touched these. I tried proccessing the RAWs in PSCS3, Canon DPP, Capture One 4, all with same results. This noise is very clear even at 50% viewing.

On daylight shots with far shorter exposure time and flash, I still see noise. I am talking about hundreds of whte pixels.

I am curious if this is just my camera or if others share this problem?

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:49 am »

Hmmm..

I haven't done any exposures that long yet, but everything I've done at high ISO looks good for noise.
Better than the DsII for sure.

The new camera IMO also has better color at high ISO.

Andy M

• http://
Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:58:38 am »

I've noticed noticeable noise at ISO400 - something which was never really an issue with my previous camera, the 5D.

A 21mp 35mm chip is going to be noisy, but I would love to hear other users' opinions.

Ken R

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:08:45 am »

Mine is very clean up to iso 800 (critically clean for large enlargements). At iso 800 there is a tad of noise but detail is still superb and color accuracy also and even though when viewed at 100% you see a tad of noise when printed its negligible. Its very close to my 5D but the noise is better quality hard to explain.

Gary Yeowell

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:46:30 am »

I am more than happy with Canon's 'balance' in terms of noise, resolution and 'look' with the 1DS3.  I think this camera's files look more like film than any other digital device i have owned, which includes Phase P20,5D and 1DS2. Perhaps the noise at all ISO's is what gives it the feel it has, but anything that takes the plastic look of the 1DS2  away is fine by me, colours are nicer too.

Panopeeper

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:05:07 pm »

Tonight I shot some dusk sunset images at f/11-16, ISO 200, exposure 5-8 seconds. The images are filled with single white ghost pixels
Can you upload such a raw file for analysis?
Gabor

sojournerphoto

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:21:05 am »

I am more than happy with Canon's 'balance' in terms of noise, resolution and 'look' with the 1DS3.  I think this camera's files look more like film than any other digital device i have owned, which includes Phase P20,5D and 1DS2. Perhaps the noise at all ISO's is what gives it the feel it has, but anything that takes the plastic look of the 1DS2  away is fine by me, colours are nicer too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I printed a picture of my daughter at 15 by 10, that was shot at iso 1600 and then pushed by 1.1 stop in post and with only default colour nr in LR and about 10 luminance the print shows just a little luminance noise in the edge of her nose by the soft eye. There is also a little luminance noise in a couple of darker oof areas. This is printed on an IPF5000. Overall I think the pic is stunning for a snap that required almost no work - just LR to CS3 for output sharpen and print.

Mike

John Sheehy

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:02:29 pm »

I am curious if this is just my camera or if others share this problem?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182880\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 1DSmk3 is one of the cleanest cameras available.  If you are getting white spots in both camera JPEGs and in conversions of RAWS, then your individual camera is probably defective.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 01:36:06 pm »

I've had the camera for about three months now, and it is far cleaner than my old 1Ds or 1Ds2 -- almost on par with my 1D3. The real question is, what are you using to process the images? I find the conversion program makes as much a difference as anything else. Though I like LR, it's far from the most "noise free" or sharpest prgram you can use.

BJL

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 02:32:35 pm »

Tonight I shot ... at ... ISO 200, exposure 5-8 seconds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182880\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To the OP: with these long exposure times, are you using dark frame subtraction?

To most other respondents: the original post is about long exposures at relatively low ISO where fixed pattern dark current noise can be the main problem, so why talk about performance at high ISO with far shorter exposure times, where photon shot noise, pre-amplifier noise and such are the more likely problems?

Ray

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:25:38 am »

To most other respondents: the original post is about long exposures at relatively low ISO where fixed pattern dark current noise can be the main problem, so why talk about performance at high ISO with far shorter exposure times, where photon shot noise, pre-amplifier noise and such are the more likely problems?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BJL,
You're losing your touch. Better get back to exercising your mind with more frequent participation on the forum.  

The OP in his initial post also wrote the following:

On daylight shots with far shorter exposure time and flash, I still see noise. I am talking about hundreds of whte pixels.

He either has a faulty camera or is doing something weird in his work flow.

Dennishh

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52:36 am »

I had the same problem. I ran a test with my 1dsMK2 and found more noise at ISO 100 with the MK3. I called Canon and asked if this is the way it should be and was told no. I have sent the MK3 to canon for what they call a iso calabration of fix. I will get the camera back this week and report if this worked. I did test dark frame noise reduction and high ISO noise reduction with no apparent help to over one second exposures.
Dennis

seanw

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 03:02:52 pm »

This sounds similar to the problem I had. In my case any exposures of around a second or longer exhibited hundreds of hot pixels. In Capture One they appeared white, in DPP they showed as red, green and blue spots and in ACR the program automatically corrected them (even with noise reduction off) so they were not visible. The ISO setting did not affect the hot pixels, but they were dramatically reduced with shorter shutter speeds.

After going around and around with Canon service I had to send it in and have the sensor replaced.

So it sounds like you may have a defective sensor.

Dennishh

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:35:40 pm »

Thats great news. I won't hear anything from Canon until it's fixed. It did't look bad enough to be a defective sensor, but time will tell. The images I was getting were still amazing.
Dennis

daethon

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 07:20:16 pm »

To me, that sounds like a defective sensor with many dead pixels.  easy way to tell (though i'm sure there are better ways).  get into a dark room with a single color light source (like the red lights from a christmas ahem, holiday, tree) put it on a tripod and take a long exposure with that light.  If you see single white spots around the image, those are dead pixels.  I can't recall if they end up giving you a bit of a cross hatch, where the pixel at the four corners will also look a bit off, but one will be especially white.  Something that shouldn't happen if you only have red light.  

I had this problem with my 10D, and its the first thing I check on each new digital camera.

Dennishh

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 02:04:09 pm »

I received my camera back from CPS, it went out last Friday I received it back this Friday.  CPS in New Jersey did a great job getting this in and out.  I am pleased to report that I don't have to take this camera back, it is now spectacular.  I just finished comparing noise ninja noise charts that I did before and after.  I can only say that the before charts look like they were shot with a D2x at ISO of 400.  The camera  has 60% less noisy images now. CPS said that they brought the camera back into factory specs and didn't elaborate any more than that.  Whenever they did worked!  would recommend that anyone who's complaining about noise on their 1dsMk3 send it back to canon asap.  They also cleaned the sensor.  I use this camera on two jobs before I send it back for this noise repair and had to do more noise reduction on ISO 100 images than I ever had to.  I just finished another one on Friday with if no noise reduction used at ISO 100.
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 02:05:50 pm by Dennishh »

juicy

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 02:41:28 pm »

I received my camera back from CPS, it went out last Friday I received it back this Friday.  CPS in New Jersey did a great job getting this in and out.  I am pleased to report that I don't have to take this camera back, it is now spectacular.  I just finished comparing noise ninja noise charts that I did before and after.  I can only say that the before charts look like they were shot with a D2x at ISO of 400.  The camera  has 60% less noisy images now. CPS said that they brought the camera back into factory specs and didn't elaborate any more than that.  Whenever they did worked!  would recommend that anyone who's complaining about noise on their 1dsMk3 send it back to canon asap.  They also cleaned the sensor.  I use this camera on two jobs before I send it back for this noise repair and had to do more noise reduction on ISO 100 images than I ever had to.  I just finished another one on Friday with if no noise reduction used at ISO 100.
Dennis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185241\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi!

Good to hear that the problem was solved.
Anyway, it would be interesting to see some "before and after" comparison shots (100% crops).

Cheers,
J

Dennishh

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 05:06:40 pm »

I posted the after and before 400 iso's at http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/20919...103235030gwVDZI
They were shot with different lensed one being more out of focus than the other.

juicy

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 05:31:17 pm »

I posted the after and before 400 iso's at http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/20919...103235030gwVDZI
They were shot with different lensed one being more out of focus than the other.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=185263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!
Quite a difference:  

Cheers,
J

danazoo

Canon 1s Mark III Noise
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 06:40:13 pm »

Sean,
YES and EXACTLY!!! This precisiely what I am experiencing. In C1v4 i get 1,000's of white pixels. {for the rest of you who want some details - 1ds Mark III, ISO 100 - 200, fast exposure times like 1/25 and/or lonmg exposures to 10 seconds, and basically any exposures in between, I am getting tons of noise].

When I process in DPP, the noise is white, red, blue, green. If proccessed in PSCS3, the noise is white, and mostly gone. But it is still there.

I sent my camera in to CPS. That was a new fiasco and I am furious with Canon at this point. Firstly, I was told my CPS membership had expired thus I was no longer a CPS member. After a six year membership, I was no longer a member. News Flash - CPS membership now expires every year. If you do not seek to renew your membership every year, yours will expire too. Feel free to write Canon and tell them that this is lame. But back to my Mark III....

I sent the Mark III in to Canon and they had it for three days, returning it free of any problems.

I did a photo shoot with it yesterday, asssured from Canon that all was well. To my loving surprise, the images are now NOISY AS EVER!!!!

Today, I ran every test I could in house on my camera and tried every variable possible literally. Nothing, corect this noise.

Many are saying this sounds like a bad sensor problem. Then why in the ***** did Canon not repair this last week when they had my Camera? I havd to cancel a week's worth of work and now I have to do it again. I can't get a loaner from CPS because "I am not considered a member" until my membership goes thru their normal 4-6 week new member check.

Canon - this is bad, bad, bad business. Shame on you!!!

This sounds similar to the problem I had. In my case any exposures of around a second or longer exhibited hundreds of hot pixels. In Capture One they appeared white, in DPP they showed as red, green and blue spots and in ACR the program automatically corrected them (even with noise reduction off) so they were not visible. The ISO setting did not affect the hot pixels, but they were dramatically reduced with shorter shutter speeds.

After going around and around with Canon service I had to send it in and have the sensor replaced.

So it sounds like you may have a defective sensor.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up