Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D3 dust?  (Read 4554 times)

ChrisJR

• http://
Nikon D3 dust?
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:44:56 pm »

I've been using a Canon EOS 1d mk3 for the past 9 months but after trying out a Nikon D3 at Focus on Imaging I have to say I'm desperately impressed and seriously thinking about switching over. The ergonomics are perfect, the screen much sharper, the viewfinder is fantastic and the new 14-24 lens is something I've been desperately wanting for quite some time.

One thing I am a bit worried about is the lack of a self-cleaning device like with the current Canon's and I really don't want to go back to spotting in PS for countless hours. What are people's experiences with the D3 like, do you have any major problems with dust?

Horatio

Nikon D3 dust?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:21:53 pm »

Mine only has about 500 actuations on it, but has a large dust or grease spot near the center. Debating about wet cleaning as the giotto blower has made no difference. It is probably no worse than other cameras.
[url=http://www.vanishingculturesphotogr

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
Nikon D3 dust?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:53:05 am »

One thing I am a bit worried about is the lack of a self-cleaning device like with the current Canon's and I really don't want to go back to spotting in PS for countless hours. What are people's experiences with the D3 like, do you have any major problems with dust?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177799\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think I have had any more or less dust on my D3's sensor than on any other Nikon sensor I have had. I have never owned a camera with a self cleaning sensor, so I don't know how well they work.

I do have a lot of experience cleaning Nikon sensors though, including my D3. This is simply one of those responsibilities that comes with DSLR ownership. Most of the time I can blow the dust off of the sensor. Every once in a while I use my VisibleDust Butterfly on a stubborn piece of stuff. Much less frequently I use a sensor swab and some Eclipse fluid. Just remember that ON THE D3 YOU NEED TO USE THE NEW ECLIPSE 2 FLUID.

All of this is really no big deal.

DarkPenguin

Nikon D3 dust?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:16:49 am »

Tell me of this new eclipse 2 fluid.  Is this stuff no longer made of moonshine?  Er, methanol?  Cause if it won't blind me (and I do love a little eclipse fluid with a twist of lemon) I might buy some again.

francois

Nikon D3 dust?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:57:02 am »

Tell me of this new eclipse 2 fluid.  Is this stuff no longer made of moonshine?  Er, methanol?  Cause if it won't blind me (and I do love a little eclipse fluid with a twist of lemon) I might buy some again.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You get good info at the [a href=\"http://www.photosol.com/]source[/url]. FWIW, I've not - yet - tested Ecplise 2 + lemon… It might give a strong headache!  
Francois

Jost von Allmen

• https://www.jostvonallmen.com
Nikon D3 dust?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »

After having used a Nikon D2X for almost three years and having cleaned its sensor on a regular basis without any problems (exactly as described in John Cotes post above), mostly usually before important shootings, I must say that I was shocked when I started cleaning the D3!!
The sensor seems to attract more dust than that of the D2x.
As the sensor is bigger (full frame) and fills the whole mirror box, it's not possible to wipe over its sides, where it wouldn't matter if any specks remain.
In the beggining, not taking enough care, I had several big smears across the whole sensor which I only got rid after strong wet cleaning.
So beware, cleaning the D3's sensor is possible but you have to be careful.
I actually also always first use the Visible Dust sensor loupe to check the sensor and only clean it if necessary.
But nevertheless, I love the D3 and also use the new outstanding 14-24mm (and 24-70mm) a lot with great success.

Good luck with cleaning!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:19:59 pm by Jost von Allmen »
Jost von Allmen
Switzerland
www.jostvonallmen.com

DarkPenguin

Nikon D3 dust?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:22:19 pm »

You get good info at the source. FWIW, I've not - yet - tested Ecplise 2 + lemon… It might give a strong headache! 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope it is kinder than the original stuff which (being methanol) takes to the retina like cancer to a prostate.

Thank you for the link.  I think I'll email them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:22:31 pm by DarkPenguin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up