Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap monitor recommendations? color wise  (Read 2932 times)

lightstand

cheap monitor recommendations? color wise
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:17:59 pm »

I have read through a lot of past threads on monitors & would like to ask for either outright recommendations or thoughts on the near future of monitors. It seems that I will have to replace my monitor now & can not wait a couple of months.

It sounds in the next couple of months we are going to see more LED monitors, actually on the market, that will be more beneficial for color correcting in aRGB, is this a good assumption??? It also sounds that because I have a fair amount of work that needs to go sRGB having a two monitor system wouldn't be the worst idea? I personally would rather just have one larger but can no longer wait.

Can anyone recommend a small "cheap" monitor that I can color correct with after it has been calibrated of course? With the idea that when the xl24 or maybe the revised ACD show up I can upgrade without feeling like I wasted money now.  Thanks for your understanding and any insights you can shed light on. jeff

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 08:31:06 pm »

It sounds in the next couple of months we are going to see more LED monitors, actually on the market, that will be more beneficial for color correcting in aRGB, is this a good assumption???

Not necessarily. That's an issue of the gamut of the display.

It also sounds that because I have a fair amount of work that needs to go sRGB having a two monitor system wouldn't be the worst idea?

Its not a bad idea, but it may not be necessary either.

Can anyone recommend a small "cheap" monitor that I can color correct with after it has been calibrated of course?

I'd look at the NEC 2490.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:31:18 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

lightstand

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:28:17 pm »

Thank you for your response & insight I truly appreciate it may I ask some quick additional questions?

I have "read" so much good stuff about LEDs (haven't actually seen them) that it sounds if I can wait or alternate for a couple of months until a reasonably priced one comes to market that it would be worth the wait. Is this basically true or have I read too much into this technology?

I have looked at the 2490 but even the smaller 1990 is listed higher than the 20"ACD. Is it at all possible to buy a 19" monitor to color correct on today for under $400 with the idea of upgrading to a 24"LED in the next couple of months? Again thank you for your insights. Jeff

LA30

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:39 pm »

I have been working on a Samsung 215TW (for the last few weeks at a studio).  Right now at amazon it is like $430.00  I would say stay away from the ACD as it is very hard to adjust the brightness and VERIFY that the brightness is where it should be.  The Samsung 215tw is a fine monitor once calibrated with a puck, with a VERY SMALL viewing angle.  It looks fine straight on but looks very bad off axis.  If you can I would wait the 1.5-2 months for the samsung or go for one of the nicer NEC models.  It would be a shame to buy this for almost $500 with shipping and then trash it in a few months.  

Good Luck,

Ken

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:11 pm »

I have "read" so much good stuff about LEDs (haven't actually seen them) that it sounds if I can wait or alternate for a couple of months until a reasonably priced one comes to market that it would be worth the wait. Is this basically true or have I read too much into this technology?

I've had experience with the NEC LED which, at one point cost nearly $5000! Its not a cheap technology nor easy to accomplish. So now Samsung is trying it at a much lower price point (while NEC seems to be out of that market). There's a lot of necessary sophisticated technology necessary to make LED fly and I think NEC did a superb job with the initial unit (just keeping the heat and consistency in check isn't a trivial task). We'll have to see what comes about with this technology but I suspect its a stop gap in what we'll see in the future (like OLED etc). So if you need something today, you can forget CRT and I'd probably not spend a fortune on anything either exotic or expensive as in 2-3 years, we may all be looking at much better display technology not based on LED or CCFL.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Hendrik

• http://www.hendrik-fotografie.nl
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:24:47 am »

I use the Samsung 215tw for 6 month now and like the display very much. Callibration/profiling is easy. Viewing angel is very good and imo not small.

The only real issue are the differences in gamma. I have learned to live with it, because for the money there are simply not better displays (unless a newer model has been released).

I would buy it again.

Read my older posts about this display if you like.

LA30

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:32:29 pm »

That is correct.  You are left with some random displays and the 20" Apple display at this price point, and I don't like the apple that much.

Ken

ARD

• http://
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:48:46 pm »

What about this one - any good?

Samsung SM-2232BW
Pages: [1]   Go Up