Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony announce full size CMOS Sensor with 24.81MP  (Read 19145 times)

GregW

• http://
Sony announce full size CMOS Sensor with 24.81MP
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:06 am »

Tokyo, Japan - Sony Corporation today announced the development of a 35mm full size (diagonal:43.3mm/Type 2.7) 24.81 effective megapixel, ultra-high speed high image quality CMOS image sensor designed to meet the increasing requirement for rapid image capture and advanced picture quality within digital SLR cameras.

Major features
High picture quality in 35mm full size image sensor with 24.81M effective pixels
"Column-Parallel A/D Conversion method" achieves high S/N and high-speed imaging
  •CDS/PGA(24dB)Circuit  (PGA: Programmable Gain Amplifier)
  •12bit-AD Converter on chip
  •Diversified readout mode
     •All-pixel scan mode   6.3 frame/s (12bit)
     •Window readout
High-speed digital output (12 channel parallel LVDS output)

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']www.sony.net Sony Press Releases - Sony Develops 35mm full size CMOS Image Sensor with 24.81 Effective Megapixel resolution and extremely high signal conversion speed for use in Digital SLR Cameras http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/20...010E/index.html Reterived on 2008-01-30[/span]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:26:23 am by GregW »

sojournerphoto

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:35:16 am »

Tokyo, Japan - Sony Corporation today announced the development of a 35mm full size (diagonal:43.3mm/Type 2.7) 24.81 effective megapixel, ultra-high speed high image quality CMOS image sensor designed to meet the increasing requirement for rapid image capture and advanced picture quality within digital SLR cameras.

Major features
High picture quality in 35mm full size image sensor with 24.81M effective pixels
"Column-Parallel A/D Conversion method" achieves high S/N and high-speed imaging
  •CDS/PGA(24dB)Circuit  (PGA: Programmable Gain Amplifier)
  •12bit-AD Converter on chip
  •Diversified readout mode
     •All-pixel scan mode   6.3 frame/s (12bit)
     •Window readout
High-speed digital output (12 channel parallel LVDS output)

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']www.sony.net Sony Press Releases - Sony Develops 35mm full size CMOS Image Sensor with 24.81 Effective Megapixel resolution and extremely high signal conversion speed for use in Digital SLR Cameras http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/20...010E/index.html Reterived on 2008-01-30[/span]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170927\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wonder where we'll see that then:)

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:09:32 am »

Things start to be interesting, really!

Francois

DonWeston

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:59 am »

Things start to be interesting, really!

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Guess we will see them both coming to Nikon and Sony theaters near you in the near future.....can you say D3X and Sony whatever ....

Kenneth Sky

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:46:43 am »

This would appear to be a set up by Sony to announce their "flagship" A900 model that they showed at last year's PMA under glass together with the A700. Together with the Carl Zeiss lenses they have announced, it can be assumed they are moving upmarket as well as filling in their mid-market with the A300 & A350. Even if you're not a Sony/Minolta A mount fan boy, it has to be exciting to see all these new models being introduced by Pentax, Olympus and Canikon. The consumer wins.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21:15 am »

Soon all top end cameras from dslr manufacturers will have more than 20mp.  A modified version of this chip must be destined for a D3x.   Its eating in to medium format digital territory.  

Which leads me to the question, what is the next step beyond the current generation of 39mp chips in medium format cameras?

Quentin

This would appear to be a set up by Sony to announce their "flagship" A900 model that they showed at last year's PMA under glass together with the A700. Together with the Carl Zeiss lenses they have announced, it can be assumed they are moving upmarket as well as filling in their mid-market with the A300 & A350. Even if you're not a Sony/Minolta A mount fan boy, it has to be exciting to see all these new models being introduced by Pentax, Olympus and Canikon. The consumer wins.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:21:53 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:13 am »

This is the chip I've been waiting a year for.  It is why I decided not to go to MF, because the writing was on the wall.  Whatever Nikon puts it in will be the camera I put a deposit on the instant it is announced.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:52:10 am by SeanPuckett »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:48:33 am »

This is the chip I've been waiting a year for.  It is why I decided not to go to MF, because the writing was on the wall.  Whatever Nikon puts it in will be the camera I put a deposit on the instant it is announced.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You'll have to beat me to the store  

Quentin

Andy M

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:29:31 pm »

Even at 12 bit?

TMcCulley

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 12:32:02 pm »

You'll have to beat me to the store   

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171000\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, there will be a race to get this one but what will it do to existing D3 sales.  I think Nikon will cripple the speed of the D3x just to maintain a market for the D3, but I will lust after one anyway.

Tom

SeanPuckett

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 12:39:06 pm »

I'm certain Nikon will have a custom version of this chip that will do 14 bit on demand, and probably a few other bump-ups.  If Nikon don't differentiate their offering from the "stock" Sony sensor -- 14 bits being the most obvious way to do so -- they will be inviting everyone else to dine at their table.  And that's just not going to happen.

Even at 12 bit?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mike Chini

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »

I agree about the mfdb makers.  They really have to step things up or they're going by the wayside.  I'm not talking IQ, it's more about bang for the buck at this point.  The ZD could be the one if they can improve the interface, a/d converter etc.  Apart from that, maybe mfdb makers should consider swithing to CMOS.  Cheaper and better with long exposures, less heat etc.  Just an idea.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:22 pm »

I agree about the mfdb makers.  They really have to step things up or they're going by the wayside.  I'm not talking IQ, it's more about bang for the buck at this point.  The ZD could be the one if they can improve the interface, a/d converter etc.  Apart from that, maybe mfdb makers should consider swithing to CMOS.  Cheaper and better with long exposures, less heat etc.  Just an idea.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm a happy 1DsMk3 owner and I'm still more happy than ever about this announcement. Why ? Because we finally getting some speed in the development of cameras again. I really hope we weill se faster steps sooner. I really was tired of Canon doing what ever they wanted because ther was nobody else.

I think we will see a new 1DsMk4 next year ;-) *hope*

The same with MFDB I'm sure we will se something 50+ MP this year.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 01:28:44 pm »

I agree about the mfdb makers.  They really have to step things up or they're going by the wayside.  I'm not talking IQ, it's more about bang for the buck at this point. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As long as there is a clear quality difference, I don't think this matters. In all areas, when you want the best, you have to be prepared to pay exponentially more. To give an easily quantified example, 10,000 RPM drives are 4 or 5 times more expensive per GB than regular 7,200 RMP drives ! As for a Sony-equiped D3? undermining the D3, the price difference will be significant for those who don't need the ultimate resolution. If it wasn't for the Sony offering, Nikon could price the D3? well over the Canon (as they do for lenses).
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

I'm a happy 1DsMk3 owner and I'm still more happy than ever about this announcement. Why ? Because we finally getting some speed in the development of cameras again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What we really need is development of lenses.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:38 pm »

What we really need is development of lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That depens which lenses you mean. Canon YES, Nikon on some, My Leica and zeiss lenses are really good and I think they have no problem holding up to 30Mp
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Mike Chini

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:07:11 pm »

As long as there is a clear quality difference, I don't think this matters. In all areas, when you want the best, you have to be prepared to pay exponentially more. To give an easily quantified example, 10,000 RPM drives are 4 or 5 times more expensive per GB than regular 7,200 RMP drives ! As for a Sony-equiped D3? undermining the D3, the price difference will be significant for those who don't need the ultimate resolution. If it wasn't for the Sony offering, Nikon could price the D3? well over the Canon (as they do for lenses).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.  I much prefer the quality of mfdb's but let's face it - this is a business and the mfdb makers are now under a LOT of pressure from 35mm.  I just read somewhere that the D3 has wonderful dynamic range (~10 stops at ISO 400, it's native ISO) and then there's weatherproofing of 35 cameras, big 3" LCD's, lens variety etc etc etc.  In the end, investing into mfdb is making less sense with each new camera model.  I wish there were more consolidation going on between the Mamiya's, Phase's, Leafs and Sinars because the amount of R&D money involved at Nikon, Sony and Canon is probably WAY beyond anything going on at Phase or Leaf.

And seriously, why no CMOS med. format sensors?

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 02:41:54 pm »

It seems in above discussion focus is on MPs, but... is there not more??

We read a 24MP 36x24mm sensor... surely that does not equate to a 24MP compact... then how can it equal to a medium format??

Is MPs all we want? Will lenses hold up? Is the 35mm format itself capable of what 645 is?

Regards
Anders

SeanPuckett

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 03:00:01 pm »

Anders, for myself I was able to forgive the capture quality [1] of the smaller cameras because of all of their other benefits: physical UI, features, software support, portability, price, etc.  My eagerness for a Nikon with this or a similar sensor is not just about more megapixels, although more megapixels will make some parts of my job much easier.  It's all the other things that the past two years have created for this market segment: live view, wide dynamic range, high ISO capability.  All these things will be rolled into a cheap[1] camera that from a final output standpoint is at shoulder level to MF, as opposed to waist-level or lower.

Or, perhaps in other words, finally photographers will have to differentiate themselves based on creative vision and pure photographic skill -- rather than who has spent $40K on gear and who has spent $4K.  And it's about damn time.

[1] Compared to MF.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »

Yes, what should worry the mfdb maker is the sheer versatility of 35mm systems.  mfdb's look antiquated and slow compared to their more advanced and flexible smaller format offerings.

And consider what you could do with, say, a D3x and Nikon's just announced trio of tilt-shift lenses.  

The price disparity is simply going to have to decrease, and mfdb's will also have to offer something more than arguably marginal image quality improvements.  

If I was Phase / Leaf, etc, I'd be pretty worried; 21-25mp is more than enough for 98 percent of professional imaging applications, and those who need more are not numerous enough to support the entire mfdb industry.

Quentin
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:30:42 pm by Quentin »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up