Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus  (Read 19930 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:01:17 am »

Hi

I have demoed both Phase One and Leaf Aptus, and now serious consider refurbished A65/A22 or refurbished P30/P25 since those seem to be what are within my reach. I current lean towards A65 or P30 since seems they have newer sensor technology and larger MPs.

My photography is a hobby on travels and living in different countries; landscapes, scenery and people living traditional lives. Leaf is said to be more film like, but what does most people use for landscapes?

I still am not perfect clear on which one excels in image quality and at low noise, both at native and high ISOs. Most my shooting is at low ISO but usable higher ISO is welcome since I do not want to add a DSLR on travels.

What about dependability and use in dusty, hot and humid environments? Life length (as amateur I wish to buy durable to last very long time)?

With 50 ISO being native, with ETTR that equals about 25 ISO which is slow. Is that reason to go with P30 for landscape that has 100 ISO native?

How about crop sensors in Mamiya 645AFDII viewfinder; bright, simple to frame?

Leaf Histogram seems to excel;
Info: +/-EV = exposure compensation from exif.
Histogram: +/-EV is relating to gamma of histogram, or the exceeding of bright limits in histogram? How?

Much thanks for advises and explanations.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:02:26 am by Anders_HK »

olaf

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:35:50 am »

Hi Anders
You may want to reference a series of posts called "The $64,000 Question" from Nov last year where there are several pages of posts - many of which will be relevant. Here is an extract of what I wrote.

.... I found that Phase has a very basic, simple set of controls, almost a minimalist approach. Leaf seemed to offer far more LCD functionality. For example; pre shoot file naming, job folders, metadata, file annotations....etc.
For me I preferred the very quick and easy 4 button approach of Phase so I bought a Mamiya 645 AFD2 and a P30+. But everyone's workflow is personal and you may find the Leaf more suitable. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either. Also check Michael's excellent article on MFDB's which underlines the importance of your dealer relationship.....

And finally don't forget the upcoming Phase camera to be announced around Mar 19th
Regards

Hi

I have demoed both Phase One and Leaf Aptus, and now serious consider refurbished A65/A22 or refurbished P30/P25 since those seem to be what are within my reach. I current lean towards A65 or P30 since seems they have newer sensor technology and larger MPs.

My photography is a hobby on travels and living in different countries; landscapes, scenery and people living traditional lives. Leaf is said to be more film like, but what does most people use for landscapes?

I still am not perfect clear on which one excels in image quality and at low noise, both at native and high ISOs. Most my shooting is at low ISO but usable higher ISO is welcome since I do not want to add a DSLR on travels.

What about dependability and use in dusty, hot and humid environments? Life length (as amateur I wish to buy durable to last very long time)?

With 50 ISO being native, with ETTR that equals about 25 ISO which is slow. Is that reason to go with P30 for landscape that has 100 ISO native?

How about crop sensors in Mamiya 645AFDII viewfinder; bright, simple to frame?

Leaf Histogram seems to excel;
Info: +/-EV = exposure compensation from exif.
Histogram: +/-EV is relating to gamma of histogram, or the exceeding of bright limits in histogram? How?
Much thanks for advises and explanations.

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

amsp

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:45:36 am »

Yeah, this question has been answered ad nauseam, just do a search on the board. As I've said before though, the whole leaf being more film like is bs. It all depends on your RAW-developing and PS work. They're all good backs with their advantages and disadvantages, more than anything it's the user that sets them apart. But if harsh environments are a concern to you you might want to go with phase because of the fan-less cooling. The simple and rugged design of P1 was def. one thing that made me go phase over leaf.

cheers

Bernd B.

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 11:36:45 am »

This may piss off Phase users, but skin tones for whatever reason just look better "right out of the box" with Leaf backs. That's using LR, LC11. I have always seen somewhat undesirable skin tones in Phase files that can be corrected, any file can be corrected practically in Photoshop, but there is something to say about getting very pleasing skin tones at capture.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Having a Leaf Valeo (=Dalsa Chip) and a Hasselblad H3D (=Kodak Chip, like Phase One) I can absolutely confirm this.

Imagine a client does not want the one picture, where you can twiggle for hours in photoshop, but who wants lets say 30 pictures of a shooting, life is much more simple with skin tones from a leaf back.

Image processing of the Leaf files also works very well with ACR and Lightroom.

Bernd

H1/A75 Guy

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:04:32 pm »

From what seems to be Anders main photographic content, outdoors, landscapes, travel, I would say that Phase would be the better choice for many reasons, and this comes from a very content Leaf user.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'd have to agree with John. It's similar to the Snook, "Which camera should I buy?", saga a few months ago. It also sounds like Anders' will have the time to deal with Phase files in post with C1, LR, and ACR rather than the simple solution of LC11 to PS. Forgot to add, if you're running on a PC, get the Phase!

David
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 12:28:29 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

amsp

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:06:03 pm »

Again with "out of the box" argument. Who cares how the default settings look in any RAW-converter? It takes you maybe 5 minutes to make a profile that pleases YOUR eyes and then you can just have your raw converter apply that profile by default as you open your files. I shoot high-end fashion, and I'm hardly the only one doing this with a phase back, so I can assure you there is no problem getting gorgeous skin tones.

Sean H

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:49:58 pm »

Forgot to add, if you're running on a PC, get the Phase!

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David,

could you elaborate on precisely why having one platform (pc vs mac) would influence your choice of purchase of either Phase1 or Sinar? As a potential buyer I'm interested to hear what you (and others) have to say about that.

Thanks,

Sean

marcmccalmont

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:21:05 pm »

I'm not in a position to comment on which (Phase or Leaf) is better but I have just started working with a Mamiya AFD/P30. Photography for me is a hobby also. Be prepared to spend more time post-processing the files than what you did with your DSLR. If you end up with the Phase send me a PM and I'll help you as best as I can. I found my eye was conditioned to like the output of my 5D and DxO, the P30/C1V4 looked a bit washed out and foliage too yellow (slightly pea green instead of forest green). After a bit of time I have found the 5D a bit to magenta. So I now have 2 stored curves one for the 5D which increases the green channel just a bit and one for the P30 which reduces the green channel just a bit. They now look closer and more accurate. Because of the 12 stops that the DB can capture I found a normal ETTR daylight scene (exposure then reduced to normal) not as contrasty as the 5D so again in curves I have 2 stored RGB curves that address compressing the shadows (where the extra stops lie) so the mid tones have some contrast. Again if you end up with a Phase send me a PM. I was looking for a Mamiya ZD back $7k last December When a leaf aptus 22 was available for $12K and a Phase P30 for $11K I went with the Phase w/o regret.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Snook

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:41:05 pm »

I too went with P30... And love it.. I never got a chance to shoot with the leaf but the Fan and Battery deal with leaf turned me off to tell you the truth.
Skin tones were the LAST thing I was worried about as I usually calibrate the skin tones how I want and never liked canned Skin tones...If that makes sense.
The Screen on the Leaf looks better but I never saw it in "real" life.
The P30 LCD is A Joke.. It sucks big time and is actually embarrassing when clients/art directors are used to looking at a 1DsMII or 5D back and zoom.
The P30 just let's me know the picture went through and that is it..:+}
I agree that you probably cannot go wrong with either
but I sealed my marriage with Phase after they got together with Mamiya..:+}
That is a no brainer as far as I am concerned
Snook

jing q

• we are super
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:32:04 pm »

two things about the phase:
battery size is pretty much fixed
and it needs to wake up to take a shot
which requires a special cable if you're using certain types of cameras...
on my leaf I use a 3rd party battery that's pretty big (I never find that the standard battery runs long enough)

of course the leaf is stupid enough to have the firewire port covered by the battery so you HAVE to tether it powered by the computer.

btw I managed to get a PC version of leaf capture 11 and I tether my aptus to my pc...so it's not just a mac thing

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:56 pm »

I agree that you probably cannot go wrong with either
but I sealed my marriage with Phase after they got together with Mamiya..:+}
That is a no brainer as far as I am concerned
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bear in mind that the strategic alliance between Phase One and Mamiya does not necessarily preclude that Leaf and Mamiya will not continue their own strategic cooperation, and that the upcoming AFDIII will also not necessarily be restricted to a Phase One partnership.

While it's clear that Leaf (and Sinar with the Hy6) is moving strongly in the direction of AFi technology, Leaf has not signaled any intention to minimize their digital back lineup with regards to compatibility with their traditional partner Mamiya, as well as other camera manufacturers.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:57:47 pm »

... and so does Sinar, with all camera manufacturers.

Best regards,
Thierry

...., Leaf has not signaled any intention to minimize their digital back lineup with regards to compatibility with their traditional partner Mamiya, as well as other camera manufacturers.

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:38:22 pm »

I choose Leaf over Phase any time. This is just an opinion of mine but never less an opinion that I formulated over seven years of shooting with all generations of Phase backs prior to switching to Aptus.
I have owned:
LightPhase - 2 years
H20           - 1.5 years
H25           - 1 year
P20 & P25  - 2 years
P45           - 6 months

I put a total of 245,000 frames on Phase backs before my first Aptus  was purchased 18 months ago.
For my kind of work Leaf is not only marginally better but far superior to Phase backs.
My post work flow is cut down 50% as I no longer chase the perfect colors and fight orange cast and fringing.

http://AndreNapier.com

...and no I never got anything free from Leaf, on a contrary I was offer a no cost switch back to Phase which I kindly refused.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 12:41:37 am »

Dear Andre and All

Granted my final choice may come down to final pricing and availibility within certain timeframe, and... the 10-15 second startup time of Leaf!

However, very important are also

- Colors
- Simple to PP
- Noise (clean @ 50-100 ISO, useable @ higher)

- Durability
- Long problem free life

Colors are what make a photograph and simpler post saves also an amateur from spending too much time in computer.

Much thanks to all above comments already. How about above for landscape works and perhaps specific A65 vs P30?

Much thanks  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:53:59 am by Anders_HK »

TMARK

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 02:24:31 am »

Anders,

I would get the P30.  The P30 is a more flexible solution than the A22, if for no other reason than ISO.  The Phase is OK at 800, and I've heard the plus is OK at 1600.  The Aptus backs need light and lots of it to shine, although I've seen some A75 files at 400 that looked pretty good.  And I do agree that the Aptus backs provide great results out of the box for people, but you can get the same results with Phase backs, you just have to have your presets in order in whatever raw converter you use.

Also remember that the Aptus is the same generation tech as the ZD, although it has a better pipeline.  I'd get the newest tech you can find that fits your budget.

After all of my bitching about MFDB prices and my evangelizing for rentals, I pulled the trigger on a P30+.  I usually rent Aptus backs for jobs, at least since LC11 came out.  I really like the A22 and I think the A75 is the best back available, but they cost too much.  The A22 is old tech, and now that the Hallmark refurbs are all sold, the prices are back in the $13,500 - $15,500 range, which is just stupid.  A75 prices for refurbs are generally in the $16,000 - 17,500 range, which is better but too high for my Scottish heart to bear for last generation tech.  The A22 needs too much light, in my opinion, and therefore requires strobes or at least bright, bright sun.  ISO 160 seems to be the max for client usable files.  In my experience shooting beauty, the P30 has clean files to 400, 800 in a pinch.  I ended up getting a new P30+ (Thanks Lance at Capture Integration!) for what was a very good deal.  While I've never shot the + back, I am told 1600 is usable if need be. I'll find out when the + arrives. I also find the Phase backs very reliable.  The whole package just works and works and is simple, its usable in low light, and you can use a higher ISO to get better hand held shutter speeds in natural/ambient light.

In looking at your list I think the Phase hits all of your requirements.  You may also look into a used H3D.  I retouched a bunch of H3D files for a friend last week and wow, really nice files and clean at 400. The files out of Flex have a certain lightness to them, the colors seem delicate and very smooth, almost like a pastel. The lens correction in Flex is real.  It really is nice. Used H3d-22 with the H3 and 80mm runs about $13,500 - $14,000.  Lenses are expensive.

I also like Sinar backs and have used the 54m when it first came out.  Fantastic quality.  But Sinar's presence in the US is strange.  The best resource Sinar-Bron has in the US is Thierry on this board.  Thierry, a Swiss expat Sinar employee stationed in SE Asia is the best source of info for potential US buyers?  Isn't Sinar USA in Jersey?  Or I could deal with the Fotocare, which sucks.

Good luck with this process.  Its worse than buying a house or car.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 02:39:15 am »

Anders,

I would get the P30.  The P30 is a more flexible solution than the A22, if for no other reason than ISO.  The Phase is OK at 800, and I've heard the plus is OK at 1600.  The Aptus backs need light and lots of it to shine, although I've seen some A75 files at 400 that looked pretty good.  And I do agree that the Aptus backs provide great results out of the box for people, but you can get the same results with Phase backs, you just have to have your presets in order in whatever raw converter you use.

Also remember that the Aptus is the same generation tech as the ZD, although it has a better pipeline.  I'd get the newest tech you can find that fits your budget.

After all of my bitching about MFDB prices and my evangelizing for rentals, I pulled the trigger on a P30+.  I usually rent Aptus backs for jobs, at least since LC11 came out.  I really like the A22 and I think the A75 is the best back available, but they cost too much.  The A22 is old tech, and now that the Hallmark refurbs are all sold, the prices are back in the $13,500 - $15,500 range, which is just stupid.  A75 prices for refurbs are generally in the $16,000 - 17,500 range, which is better but too high for my Scottish heart to bear for last generation tech.  The A22 needs too much light, in my opinion, and therefore requires strobes or at least bright, bright sun.  ISO 160 seems to be the max for client usable files.  In my experience shooting beauty, the P30 has clean files to 400, 800 in a pinch.  I ended up getting a new P30+ (Thanks Lance at Capture Integration!) for what was a very good deal.  While I've never shot the + back, I am told 1600 is usable if need be. I'll find out when the + arrives. I also find the Phase backs very reliable.  The whole package just works and works and is simple, its usable in low light, and you can use a higher ISO to get better hand held shutter speeds in natural/ambient light.

In looking at your list I think the Phase hits all of your requirements.  You may also look into a used H3D.  I retouched a bunch of H3D files for a friend last week and wow, really nice files and clean at 400. The files out of Flex have a certain lightness to them, the colors seem delicate and very smooth, almost like a pastel. The lens correction in Flex is real.  It really is nice. Used H3d-22 with the H3 and 80mm runs about $13,500 - $14,000.  Lenses are expensive.

I also like Sinar backs and have used the 54m when it first came out.  Fantastic quality.  But Sinar's presence in the US is strange.  The best resource Sinar-Bron has in the US is Thierry on this board.  Thierry, a Swiss expat Sinar employee stationed in SE Asia is the best source of info for potential US buyers?  Isn't Sinar USA in Jersey?  Or I could deal with the Fotocare, which sucks.

Good luck with this process.  Its worse than buying a house or car.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi TMARK

Indeed is tough choosing. Is not A65 same as A75, only smaller sensor size, thus newer technology and same performance as A75?

From your experience is thus P30 useable at one stop higher ISO than A65/A75?

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:40:45 am by Anders_HK »

Dansk

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 09:11:54 am »

9 year Phase user here. Never used a Leaf although I did look into one way back but it was a bizarre  three capture system that was useless for my needs at the time. Just last year i sold the original Lightphase back I bought in 99 that saw horrendously heavy use in the studio and out with three different photographers using it. Never had ONE problem with that thing it worked as well the day i sold it as the first day in the studio the only time it was ever in for service was to have the filter added to the sensor as the originals were naked and the filter went over the lens.

Cant say anything bad about Leaf as I have no experience but for durability I cannot possibly see how anything could be better than Phase IMO. Only reason I sold it was the 6mp was now too small for any of my services and it had been sitting for months unused.

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 02:11:23 pm »

Just a small detail: my P25 can be triggered from my laptop while tethered and my friend's Leaf cannot. A high end dealer here in New York told me that "the most communication between a back and a camera is Phase/Mamiya," I have not independently confirmed that, but it may be a fact.

The Phase backs are also considered to be much better at long exposures than the Leaf backs, even Leaf dealers admit this much.

Color control seams to be more precisely done on Leaf.

Phase backs are extremely robust - they can be frozen on dry ice and be in working order -- all metal case. Everything is made to be energy efficient  while maintaining the sensor cool to produce cleaner files. There is no fan bringing in the outside world in to the back casing.

Phase One C1 software used to be the leader but now Leaf is catching up...

I think that the partnership of Phase with Mamiya could be a factor to consider --as opposed to the new 6x6 system that Leaf is proposing--

There are many factors to consider but at the end the two are excellent working instruments and at the same time they lack something that the other has and vise versa.

The thing with this forum topics is that we all want to think that wen we spent all that money on a camera of a particular brand that was "the smartest thing in the world"... I think that to be smart is to get the system that can do best the project/assignment at hand...
[font=Comic Sa

BJNY

Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 02:34:19 pm »

I don't recall having trouble remotely triggering Leaf Valeo 11 and 22, and Aptus 75 on Hasselblad 555ELD and Mamiya RZ67 over the years.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:16:32 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

snickgrr

• http://
Phase One vs. Leaf Aptus
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 02:54:10 pm »

On Leaf's robustness.
This past summer I was shooting an assignment for a winery in Central California, standing on top of a ladder and tried to raise my tripod up.  I screwed up big time and the several pound geared head along with the Mamiya and Leaf A75 flies off and does a perfect one and half somersault and hit the rock and dirt strewn road.  Height, maybe 7-8 feet from where it began it's flight back to earth.  It lands directly upon the back which disengages itself from the camera and tumbles around in the dirt.
The back suffered a large dent on the edge and scratched to crap.  One of the attachment lugs on the back is bent.  I rocket blow off the sensor which is totally, and I mean totally covered in dust, force the back onto the camera and do a wide open auto focus and it's tack sharp.  Back works perfectly still.

Also this fall I did an extended backpack into the mountains.  It dipped into the low teens F  (-9C) several nights and I took no particular extra care to protect the back from the cold.  Besides the battery life, the back performed flawlessly.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up