Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad HC Lenses  (Read 22516 times)

robert zimmerman

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:10 am »

Hi and happy new year,

after a lot of head scratching, testing and now a very nice trade in offer, i've decided to switch platforms and trade in my aptus back for an H3D II 31.

i really like the aptus file but i want to get into a system that will be upgradable, rentable and future proof and i'm not really attracted to the afi and the horrendous price of the lenses.

i use the contax 645 and the lack of support, new components, rentable lenses and the insatiable battery consumption of the camera has brought me to the decision.

I've used the 50-110mm and the 35mm on the H3D II, so my question is, coming from contax 645 lenses and shooting people, advertising and portraits, are there any experienced recommendations on the other hassy lenses?

I mainly use the 50mm, 80mm, 140mm contax lenses and really like the look they give me. contrast, sharpness and nice bokeh is what i'm looking for.

the hassy zoom is on my list so i'm looking for a nice fast portrait lens. i will be trying them out, but i would be very interested in any experience and thoughts.
the 100 2,2 might be a tad long on the h3d 31. how does the 80mm perform compared to the 100mm?

any examples are very welcome.

thanks, kiplng
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:51:42 am by kipling »

Bernd B.

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

Hi and happy new year,

after a lot of head scratching, testing and now a very nice trade in offer, i've decided to switch platforms and trade in my aptus back for an H3D II 31.

i really like the aptus file but i want to get into a system that will be upgradable, rentable and future proof and i'm not really attracted to the afi and the horrendous price of the lenses.

i use the contax 645 and the lack of support, new components, rentable lenses and the insatiable battery consumption of the camera has brought me to the decision.

I've used the 50-110mm and the 35mm on the H3D II, so my question is, coming from contax 645 lenses and shooting people, advertising and portraits, are there any experienced recommendations on the other hassy lenses?

I mainly use the 50mm, 80mm, 140mm contax lenses and really like the look they give me. contrast, sharpness and nice bokeh is what i'm looking for.

the hassy zoom is on my list so i'm looking for a nice fast portrait lens. i will be trying them out, but i would be very interested in any experience and thoughts.
the 100 2,2 might be a tad long on the h3d 31. how does the 80mm perform compared to the 100mm?

thanks, kiplng
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I kept my Valeo 17 for Hassy V and bought a H3D with seven lenses recently, to have a faster system and expecially for the 100/2,2 of the H vs. 100/3,5 for the V and for the wideangles. Whilst dealing with the Valeo files was a pleasure from the very first moment, the hassy way is a struggle for me. The files of the Valeo just jump out of the raw converter and don´t need much pp. The Hassy files need a lot. I will stay with my H3D and accept a long lerning curve, but if you have an aptus and you like it, why do you want to switch now? If you like the H-system, I would rather recommend you to buy an H1 and let your Aptus mount change?

About the 80mm vs 100mm I can´t say anything at present. Just not enough experience with it.

Best,

Bernd

RicAgu

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »

I came from the Contax film camera and when I went digital I went straight into the H1.

the 50-110 is amazing.  The 120 is spectacular.  The 80, well is an 80.  Nothing to write home about.

The 100 is a very nice lens.  Not sure what they look like on a crop chip.

If you don't need the speed and can handle the weight of the zoom, that is a great lens.

You can also get the CF adapter which has been great to me.  You can then use all the old manual focus lenses.

I would also take the advice to keep the Aptus and just do a mount change. ou can then use it between the H and RZ.

Best of luck.

H1/A75 Guy

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 06:39:36 pm »

how does the 80mm perform compared to the 100mm?

The 80mm is a respectable and decent. For portraiture you will want the 100mm 2.2. Probably the fastest if not the sharpest lens in the HC line-up. A core must-have lens for your H system. Do not leave home without it.

David

Barry Goyette

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 08:31:56 pm »

Because you're going with the 31mp, which is a cropped sensor, I think you'll find the 80 is pretty nice for portraits. I haven't used the 100 2.2, but it's hard to imagine anyone wanting "less" depth of field than you get at 2.8 with this camera, and the 80 is giving you an angle of view similar to the 100 on the full frame sensor. I own the 35mm, 50mm, 80, 120 macro. and 150, and I shoot people full time with the 31. I end up using the 80 most, followed by the 120 macro, and the 50 when I'm on location and want to pull in more background. The 150 is incredibly sharp, but is bordering on too long for my tastes.

Barry

LA30

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:08:12 pm »

I have a cropped chip, 32mp (p30+ from phase) I own the 35 (can't get the 28, only on H3), 50, 80 and 120 macro.  I really love the 120 macro.

I don't like the zoom, too heavy and $$$

Ken
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 08:22:57 am by kenscott30 »

H1/A75 Guy

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:08:43 pm »

Which proves my point exactly. Forget the 100mm. You'll never need it!  

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »

I am making a similar move but perhaps for different reasons.  I am now selling my APtus 65, H2, and 35mm HC because i am getting the 28mm HC.  I think the Aptus files are outstanding and if i could afford it, would keep it.

I think the zoom is a fantastic lens. It is the best zoom I have ever used... PERIOD.  Tack sharp wide open and as good as their primes-- at least on the cropped sensor.  In addition, with the extension tubes it works as a great macro.

I would say that when traveling the 35, 50-110, and 210 are all i need to take

Hi and happy new year,

thanks, kiplng
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:17:10 pm by MarkKay »

robert zimmerman

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 03:55:04 am »

okay, this pretty much confirms my thoughts. i'm still going to try try the 100mm and see how well i like the fov, but i think i'd use the 80mm more oftn as it was on my contax 90% of the time.

thanks for the info.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 04:27:21 am »

I use the 80 most of the time. I have the 35, 80, 150. I probably add the zoom (for in the studio) and the 210 on fairly short notice.

The 80 is an excellent lens IMO. Add an extention ring and it can also be used for tight headshots.

It is sharp, it sometime becomes problematic in the sense that not everybody likes to count their nose, ear or other hair or do a cavity search via their pores. I find its OOF rendition also quite good in most cases.

For product shots (like I do most) it is just fine.

I also like the modest dimensions of the lens and its decent pricing (compared to other HC lenses not to other MF80's).

MarkKay

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:53:08 am »

I did compare the 80 and 100mm lenses and found that in some scenarios there was a  better bokeh with the 100mm wide open. It was not too different than what I could get in the same shot with the canon 85 1.2 wide open.  I did compare the 100 +1.7x vs 150mm and found that the 100 TC combo resulted in images as sharp if not more than the 150mm HC. Thus I sold the later. I am not sure how the edges would compare using full frame film. Right now I own the 35mm, 50-110, 100, 120mm and 210mm and of course the 1.7xTC.  I have considered selling the 120 since the extension tubes allow for outstanding macro images with the zoom and 100mm.   My 35mm is for sale pending arrival of the 28mm HC and H3DII-31 albeit I think the 35mm is quite good --- again on the crop sensor.

I use the 80 most of the time. I have the 35, 80, 150. I probably add the zoom (for in the studio) and the 210 on fairly short notice.

The 80 is an excellent lens IMO. Add an extention ring and it can also be used for tight headshots.

It is sharp, it sometime becomes problematic in the sense that not everybody likes to count their nose, ear or other hair or do a cavity search via their pores. I find its OOF rendition also quite good in most cases.

For product shots (like I do most) it is just fine.

I also like the modest dimensions of the lens and its decent pricing (compared to other HC lenses not to other MF80's).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LA30

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 08:32:56 am »

If you go to somewhere like BHphotovideo you can quickly see what the 35mm equivalents are for the HC lenses...On my phase P30+ chip the crop factor is 1.3, now lets look at the 80mm.  Looking at the specs from BH they state that the 80mm hassie lens is a 45mm lens in 35mm equivalent.  So multiply it by 1.3 for the chip and I get 58.5mm lens on a 35mm camera.  But really you are cropping the distortion of a 45mm lens...It wouldn't really be a very flattering portrait using a 80mm and a extension tube.  The face wold draw out too much.  The 120 is a 73mm in 35mm equivalent and on the P30+ is acts like a 95mm lens.  73mm is getting closer to a flattering focal length, too bad that you have to back up like it is a 95mm lens...Sometimes that can be a good thing for the lighting or the subject's confidence (huge camera, HELP!!).  Since we are talking about 3000-3500 lenses it makes sense to ask around here and try them for yourself if you can.  Best of luck.

Ken

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 08:37:30 am »

I think you are making a mistake here.

An 80mm has the distortion of an 80mm which can be flattering but I know there are people that prefer it a bit longer like the 100 or the 150.

In your analogy the 35 would show distortion like a 21mm (24x36 lens)?  

Sure, you should always try for yourself before making any large purchase.

robert zimmerman

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 09:55:58 am »

yeah, i'll be trying them out asap, just wanted experienced opinions on sharpness and bokeh between the 80 and 100mm lenses.

as far as the hassy files go, compared to the leaf, i didn't see that much difference between the two. the hassy was a little more neutral looking and iso 400 was much better.

ixpressraf

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 10:42:52 am »

Yesterday my H3dII 31Mp arrived and i have done some testing. For my industrial work, in factories, there is no reason not to use the 3200 iso and adjust the two stops in flexcolor. Compared to my 5D at 3200 the hassie files were much cleaner and nicer.
The 100 2.2 is without question a much better lens than the 80( in every aspect) but it comes at a price.      

godtfred

• http://
Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:24 am »

The 100 f2.2 is by far my most used lens, it sees about double the use as all my other HC lenses put together (35, 120, 210.) The focal length is pleasing for portraits on the 6x4,5 format (120 would be better, but the focus is so sloooow...) and I actually get to use f2.2 and 2.8 from time to time when I want to throw things out of focus on lifestyle and close-up portraiture.

The 35 and 120 sees a lot of use as well, but I wish i had a 50. On a lot of my shoots I could just have framed differently or moved a bit back, and not have to live with that moustache distortion.

The 210 I think I used twice? But it is an excellent piece of glass (at least the two times i used it   )

(If anybody located in Norway wants to trade for a 50 or a 150 of the new types (black screws) with little or no use, I'm all up for it!

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

BJNY

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 01:16:10 pm »

Does anyone know how the 28mm lens performs on a 31MP micro-lensed sensor,
or is this not a recommended combination?
Guillermo

MarkKay

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 05:22:27 pm »

It is recommended..  at least by hasselblad and I have heard it is a good combo.  Will know soon

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 06:54:54 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:56:05 am by jecxz »

Nick-T

Hasselblad HC Lenses
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:22:15 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 28mm works just fine with the 31MP back.
Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up