Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D300x / D400 Full-Frame  (Read 17391 times)

ohcaptain

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« on: December 25, 2007, 02:58:06 pm »

I would like to hear your opinion over this possibility:
D300x / D400, Full-Frame, 3-5 fps, basically to rival Canon 5D

Seems to me many people don't need Full-Frame together with the D3 ultra-high-speed, and certainly not it's weight and size, but a smaller version, with great noise handling at high-ISOs, together with those great D300 specs.

Unforntunately if preditions around on internet are correct, we won't see it in 2008, hopefully in 2009...

Most certainly I think we'll see a 2nd version of the Canon 5D, that many nikon faithfull guys like me will be lusting about... :\

what do you think?
thanks in advance,

rui lebreiro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ohcaptain/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:01:21 pm by ohcaptain »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 06:13:24 pm »

Nikon's release strategy has been crystal clear these past 2 years:

1. Release a new sensor in a high end body (D200, D3,...)
2. Add a medium speced body using the same sensor and mosltly the same processing in a less pro-oriented body (D80, D40x,...) in a less robust body anywhere between a year and a few months after.

I find this fair because people who need the best (pros or semi-pros) get it at a price point they can mostly afford, while amateurs get the same sensor technology a bit later for a lot less money.

It also enables Nikon to design fewer sensors that they can amortize much better thanks to larger series.

My view of Nikon's next introductions is close to Thom's:

- High end FX 24MP D3x mid 08,
- Mid-end DX D90 12MP mid 08 (same sensor as D300 in D80 body with 14 bits processing),
- Low-end DX D60 12MP end 08 (same sensor as D300 in D40x body with 12 bits processing),
- Mid-end FX 12MP D600 mid 09 (same sensor as D3 in completely new body similar to D300 with 14 bits processing),

Cheers,
Bernard

TMcCulley

• http://
D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 07:02:10 pm »

My view of Nikon's next introductions is close to Thom's:

- Mid-end FX 12MP D600 mid 09 (same sensor as D3 in completely new body similar to D300 with 14 bits processing),

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And I am going to grab 10,000 images between now and mid 09 using my D300 and love every minute I am in the field.  
Tom
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:02:52 pm by TMcCulley »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 07:12:13 pm »

And I am going to grab 10,000 images between now and mid 09 using my D300 and love every minute I am in the field.  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same thing here.

Waiting is a policy focussing on cost while investing now is a policy focusing on value.

The world is still divided between farmers and hunters isn't it? I guess that this is why Europe's leading photo magazine is called "chasseur d'Images".

Cheers,
Bernard

TMcCulley

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 07:38:47 pm »

rui lebreiro
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ohCaptain,

I think you may be pulling our leg just a little bit.  The pictures you have posted are exciting.  I loved them and I do not care what camera you used to take them.
Pictures rule not cameras

Tom

ohcaptain

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 07:44:31 pm »

thanks tom

i use a d50

i don't quite understand what does that "I think you may be pulling our leg just a little bit" expression means.
can you explain?

cheers,
rui

TMcCulley

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 08:06:12 pm »

thanks tom

i use a d50

i don't quite understand what does that "I think you may be pulling our leg just a little bit" expression means.
can you explain?

cheers,
rui
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is an Old Timers term that suggest you might be fooling us in some way.  Your eye and skill suggest someone with a range of experience that would have asked your original question in a different way.

Tom

ohcaptain

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 07:14:10 pm »

Thanks Tom O:)

Well... i'm just a D50 guy that loves photography, and dreams of getting a FF, to "get rid" of noise in low-light situations and have that extra shallow dof
(and not the huge, expensive, heavy d3)

I'm beginning to think that i'm faithfull to the wrong SLR brand :\

Cheers,
Rui
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:17:01 pm by ohcaptain »

TMcCulley

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:19:38 am »

Thanks Tom O:)

Well... i'm just a D50 guy that loves photography, and dreams of getting a FF, to "get rid" of noise in low-light situations and have that extra shallow dof

Cheers,
Rui
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rui,

I have been working on this reply for a long time and everything I wrote was trite and pedantic sounding.  Find what you like to do and then go do it.  The brand or model of the camera you have or want should not stop you from making quality pictures and having fun doing it.  If you want shallow DOF from your camera try a 85mm f 1.8.  It is only 2.3 inches long and weighs just 13.2 ozs.  You could use this as an unobtrusive lens for street photography or for a portrait lens and have DOF just about as shallow as you can stand.  It cost about $400.00 in US or the 50mm f1.4 for about $260.00 in US

You have good eye keep up the good work.

Tom

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 03:03:07 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rui,

Full Frame?

I just bought a D3. It was almost like converting to a new camera system. Full frame meant that I had to buy a couple of new (expensive) lenses and that, even though I will keep a D2x and a D2h, my Dx lenses are pretty worthless (I sold them).

I did not do this for full frame. I did it because I need a camera with the fastest AF possible (I shoot motorsport professionally). If I did not need the AF, I would have bought the D300. It is great in regard to noise and the extra shallow DOF is a red herring unless you are dealing with the super tele's anyway (even then it is pretty close to un-seeable).

But, anyway, since you are almost going to have to change systems anyway when you go to "Full Frame" why not just buy a Canon 5D. They are pretty cheap now (relatively) and, by all accounts, they are great cameras.

JC

ohcaptain

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 06:15:57 pm »

Thanks john,

Well, i love 5D... but i'm (still) sticking into nikon, mainly beause i don't really feel like throwing away all my gear.

Guess I'll pray and wait that nikon delivers a 5D-range SLR

Thanks,
rui
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:37:35 pm by ohcaptain »

TMcCulley

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 01:28:47 am »

Rui,

You know if you do not have a large investment in Nikon lenses why not go for it.  Put your current gear up on EBay and get your 5D with the lenses you need.  As long as you believe that is what you need to enhance your art then that is what you need.

My only suggestion is get your hands on a 5D for a week, more if possible, and go take pictures.  You do not want to make this major of change and then be disappointed in the results.

Tom

PS Because you already own Nikon and for less money I think the D300 will produce images that will work and address all of your issues except the wide angle.  I use the 12-24F4 and love it.

Marsupilami

D300x / D400 Full-Frame
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 03:54:20 am »

Rui,

You know if you do not have a large investment in Nikon lenses why not go for it.  Put your current gear up on EBay and get your 5D with the lenses you need.  As long as you believe that is what you need to enhance your art then that is what you need.

My only suggestion is get your hands on a 5D for a week, more if possible, and go take pictures.  You do not want to make this major of change and then be disappointed in the results.

Tom

PS Because you already own Nikon and for less money I think the D300 will produce images that will work and address all of your issues except the wide angle.  I use the 12-24F4 and love it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=163758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Full Frame means also a lot of problems with wide angle lenses. I am really angry that canon is ignoring this issue. So I deal with the 17-40 L lens at aperture 11 where it is useable on a 5D, but nothing more (second copy). Still the corners are soft, and while the center behaves as it should with depht of field, at the corners also this is not very nice to look at. Full frame advantage is mainly in the high ISO area, but otherwise it has also a lot of disadvantages. 5D viewfinder is quite good, but on the other side not as good as it could be, screen is a bad joke, unusable in bright light. Still picture quality was and is very good with Raw processed in ACR (newest version only) It is the camera that counts not the full frame marketing or whatever. If I would not have so much canon glass (not all is so mediocre like the 17-40), I would have no problems buying the Nikon D300 and a 12-24 Nikon Dx lens.

As other have said, try a camera system if you can for more than a few hours, better for a few days to get a feeling for the system. But often the problems are encountered much later (like bad quality control with expensive lenses)

Christian
Pages: [1]   Go Up