Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P25 Blog  (Read 2684 times)

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Phase One P25 Blog
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:01:53 pm »

Earlier this year Frank started documenting his experience with Mamiya ZD back and Aptus 22.  Reading his point of view helped me in my research along with other valuable input from the forum members here.  Since Frank and Bob have been very forthcoming in their ZD back experience, I though I would try to follow in their footsteps with regards to the P25.  For the record - I get NO money from anybody, nothing was free.  

The blog is intended to provide reading material for those genuinely interested in purchasing a P25.  It's not about specs or tests.  If you want that, then look elsewhere.  The blog is a one way street with no comments.  After seeing some of the recent threads here, I decided the comments wouldn't be worth the headache.  If you have questions, etc., just send me email.

And thank you to everyone who has helped me during the past year - and a thank you to Michael R. for having this forum --- it's a great asset.

Phase One P25 Blog

amsp

Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:57:27 pm »

Sorry to hear you're having lens cast problems, I have the exact same setup and have never experienced any noticeable cast at all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:57:48 pm by amsp »

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:33:13 pm »

I don't know hot to say this, but you seam to be to preoccupied in the mechanics of photography and  not so much in photography, an example of this is to list images by the camera they where taken by, it seams that you want to establish a dialog with other photographers. You are producing a consistent stile and fantastic color and mood in your work, but you may be in danger of becoming all media and no message. I tell you this because I am the same, or even worse because I don't go out to shoot as much as you do. Maybe what you should do is to have a separate space where you can show the work in a dignified way, where all camera testing images and other family photos are not allowed in.

Regarding lens cast with an 80mm. I find this hard to believe, I shoot artwork with P25/AFD and have not seen it.

Sorry to hear you're having lens cast problems, I have the exact same setup and have never experienced any noticeable cast at all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[font=Comic Sa

amsp

Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 04:35:53 pm »

Cut & pasted from the P1 website: "Lens casts typically occurs when working with camera backs on large format cameras and with wide angle capture". If you really are having a big a problem as your blog seems to indicate you might want to open a support case with P1.

godtfred

• http://
Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 05:19:09 pm »

I have lens casts with every lens, and its the same for every lens, on both my own P45+, and my loaner P45+ (while the one i own is in denmark.)

It appears identically across both P45+'s, and in both C1 3.7.7, and 3.7.8 beta. In lightroom or ACR its more apparent with a slight "centrefold" issue on top.

This is obviously not lens cast, but can be fixed with the LCC tool. It should not be like this, and as you write on your blog, it appears exactly the same way you describe it, greenish tint to the left side, and magenta to the right.

I'll post back when I hear P1's explanation for the "cast". You should seriously consider opening a support case with P1.

-axel
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:20:34 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:42:58 pm »

This would seem to be a geometric issue, not an electronic one. Smarter people than me on this forum will easily paint in the rest of the picture for you. Hint: Maybe the sensor has some  assymetries in the way it catches the light at a microscopic level.

Edmund

This is obviously not lens cast, but can be fixed with the LCC tool. It should not be like this, and as you write on your blog, it appears exactly the same way you describe it, greenish tint to the left side, and magenta to the right.

I'll post back when I hear P1's explanation for the "cast". You should seriously consider opening a support case with P1.

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:48:55 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:55:54 pm »

In regards to the lens cast, with only one lens to use at the moment I can not draw any conclusions as to the source.  My gut feeling is its the sensor may have some shift and the lens may or may or exaggerate it.  When shooting outdoors it's pretty consistent.  When shooting under strobes it is less noticeable, but I'm also shooting high key so the affected areas are usually blown out anyway.  Time will tell.  I'm meeting with the dealer next week and we'll compare backs if they have another AFD back on hand.  It's a catch-22 - if it's sensor related then there's the repair process, if it's lens related then shooting with 80mm means added work.

Leonardo - the locations were picked because I've been there many times with the Canon bodies and lenses.  I know the colors, the light, the dynamic range, etc., so when evaluating the file quality some of the variables are minimized for me.  I appreciate what you're saying about substance and certainly not meaning to dismiss your comments.  However, right now my focus is on learning the system and where it excels.  I also planned on selling the Canon 1Ds2 to help pay for the back, but before letting go of the 1Ds2 I want to make sure I'm 100% comfortable with selling it.

Larry_Menzin

Phase One P25 Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 06:41:41 pm »

Now that I'm shooting a lot of snow, I'm also seeing casts in my shots with at least 3 lenses on the P20. LCC corrects most of it, but the results are not perfect. I'm also interested in hearing how things turn out with other users.

I have lens casts with every lens, and its the same for every lens, on both my own P45+, and my loaner P45+ (while the one i own is in denmark.)

It appears identically across both P45+'s, and in both C1 3.7.7, and 3.7.8 beta. In lightroom or ACR its more apparent with a slight "centrefold" issue on top.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up