Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back/camera recommendation  (Read 16268 times)

photoetude

• http://www.photoetude.com
Digital back/camera recommendation
« on: December 04, 2007, 12:20:15 pm »

Hello all ,
This is my first post here and I am looking for advise for my next camera purchase.
My business is currently  50% studio portraits 30% jewelry photography  and 20% weddings/Events. I am using Kodak slr/c (canon mount) for jewelry and portraits and Bronica/Kodak combination for weddings/events.

I want to stop using film and I’m also looking to improve resolution and tonal range for my jewelry work.

I have only  $8,000 to spend, and I am not sure which way to go.
I can buy 5D for weddings + used digital back for studio works or should I just go with canon 1ds mark3?

The multi shot or scanning back will also work for me because I have 4x5 camera that I'm using with Kodak slr for jewelry .

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Evgeny

Snook

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:46:18 pm »

For that amount of Money go with the 1DsMIII hands Down.
Will work for all field you are shooting. That coming from someone who just Bought a P30 and mamiya 645 and RZ67II pro.
But I shoot mainly studio and portraits for advertising...
For all other stuff including Catalogue I use and will continue to use the 1DsMII.
Snook

photoetude

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

Thank you Snook for response,
Do you think I will be okay with the canon for Jewelry?
My main jewelry client now starts to demand Vogue quality shots…

I know it’s may sound stupid to ask these questions on forum, but I cannot rent DB and Canon to compare these my self.

So your opinion is very valuable to me since you are using both systems.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:24:10 pm »

Why did you buy the RZ?
CMurph

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:31:29 pm »

Thank you Snook for response,
Do you think I will be okay with the canon for Jewelry?
My main jewelry client now starts to demand Vogue quality shots…

I know it’s may sound stupid to ask these questions on forum, but I cannot rent DB and Canon to compare these my self.

So your opinion is very valuable to me since you are using both systems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

your clients demand vogue quality shots...are they sophisticated enough to tell the difference?
if I remember correctly Vogue couldn't tell that david bailey shot on 35mm and transferred to 4x5 back in the days...
Anyway why don't you just shoot with 4x5 film for your jewelery shots. it's probably more suitable than a Canon. Alternatively a used RZ plus scanning shouldn't cost TOO much, then you can use the rest of the money for a dslr for your other work..

Snook

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:47:12 pm »

your clients demand vogue quality shots...are they sophisticated enough to tell the difference?
if I remember correctly Vogue couldn't tell that david bailey shot on 35mm and transferred to 4x5 back in the days...
Anyway why don't you just shoot with 4x5 film for your jewelery shots. it's probably more suitable than a Canon. Alternatively a used RZ plus scanning shouldn't cost TOO much, then you can use the rest of the money for a dslr for your other work..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I got an AFDII with a P30 BAck and when I bought the P30 got a deal on an RZIIpro D with a couple of lens.
Also got the Phase One adaptor to be able and use the P30 on both Mamiya formats when I need to on the fly...:+]
Actually picked up a good friends RZII when I was in New York 2 weeks ago and was sold instantly on the RZ format,viewfinder, and over all brightness and easiness to FOCUS even in dim light.
Plus the RZ rocks in Studio and by flipping the back you can go from Vertical to Horizontal with out moving the camera.
Plus it sync through the lens at 400/th which makes flash mixed with ambient easier outdoors..
Should I continue?
So I have the P30 for Studio and Slow pace Fashion stuff advertising etc..
And the 1DsMII and will probably get a MIII or 5DII for Catalogue and Kids stuff etc...:+}
I now will have the best of both worlds.
And an extra 13 Megapixels to Crop into if necessary...  
Snook

photoetude

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:49:02 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I  am trying to stop developing and scanning film because all pro labs in my area is out of business and  4x5 scanner as expensive as  DB.

RobertJ

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 01:54:10 pm »

Why did you buy the RZ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adding to Snook's reply,

Bigger viewfinder, better lenses than 645AFD, waistlevel finder, rotating back, 1/400th flash sync, bellows focusing/close focusing, works with Hassy V backs with adapter and cables, and works with Mamiya AFD backs with electronic adapter and no cables (RZIID).

Snook

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 01:57:38 pm »

Well, I  am trying to stop developing and scanning film because all pro labs in my area is out of business and  4x5 scanner as expensive as  DB.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158196\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dude, Once you go digital you won't want to back.. You take on a lot more computer work and be in forums learning stuff endlessly , But You love the difference for sure. Instant Pictures is the way to go.
Shooting Film and hoping nothing happens to it from when you shot , to getting it to the lab, to hoping they do not screw it up, depending on THEIR concept of Color developing..
Forget it.. You going to Love digital.
I do not shoot Products re: Jewel etc... But I think that in either case you probably could shoot almost like HDR and bracket the Image and then Mask out where  you want the jewelry to be "shiny" or not.. With either system, dslr or MFDB's.
Goog luck, But if you have not shot digital I would suggest getting into Dslr 35mm format first to get use to it.
Good Luck and let us know what you decided on..:+}
Snook

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:11:01 pm »

For your budget and variable needs the 1DsMklll is your answer.

Without question,almost all of the DB choices available will outperform,as far as sheer
'quality' goes, the Canon but it remains to be known if your clients will be able to
differentiate.  You're using a Kodak DSLR,presently,so my feeling is that the 1Ds Mklll
will be a considerable step up the quality ladder, will be within yourt budget,and will impress
your client more than the Kodak option using 5-6 year old technology.

Your ability to shoot at high ISO will rise considerably and will be of benefit to your
wedding clients.

For jewellery,the Canon platform allows you to use Canons excellent tilt shift 90mm
as well as a host of other tilt solutions from third parties using adapters.

If I had the money,I'd go for both the Canon and a DB but given your needs and budget
the Canon seems to be best compromise

Mark

photoetude

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 03:42:44 pm »

For your budget and variable needs the 1DsMklll is your answer.

Without question,almost all of the DB choices available will outperform,as far as sheer
'quality' goes, the Canon but it remains to be known if your clients will be able to
differentiate.  You're using a Kodak DSLR,presently,so my feeling is that the 1Ds Mklll
will be a considerable step up the quality ladder, will be within yourt budget,and will impress
your client more than the Kodak option using 5-6 year old technology.

Your ability to shoot at high ISO will rise considerably and will be of benefit to your
wedding clients.

For jewellery,the Canon platform allows you to use Canons excellent tilt shift 90mm
as well as a host of other tilt solutions from third parties using adapters.

If I had the money,I'd go for both the Canon and a DB but given your needs and budget
the Canon seems to be best compromise

Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158204\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Mark,
It seems like canon is the way to go.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 04:46:37 pm »

Assuming you ideally use movements in the studio I would get

a 5d for weddings and out and about

a 16mp used tethered back and a stitching back adapter for your 54 camera

Stitching 2 16mp images together on a static subject is amazing quality

You may even pick up a tethered multishot back like an eyelike precision M11 (small chip size) pretty cheap - exellent images too

Phase H20 or eyelike m16 both would be ones to look for

This combo MAY come in your budget

bing DSLR re limit you options of movement to the canon TS lenses which are not cheap or that well considered as far as I know

considereing the vast quantities of amzing 54 kit knocking about there are bargains galore

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 06:45:11 pm »

If you are going be imaging jewelry with a Phase digital back, I would recommend extensive testing before the purchase in order to check for blooming when specular lightsources intrude into the image or near the field of view of the camera.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 11:35:44 pm »

50% studio portraits 30% jewelry photography  and 20% weddings/Events.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A good digital back will undoubtedly be better for studio portraits and jewelry photography (which is 80% of your work) than a Canon. However, your budget is not quite there. You could probably manage a Mamiya ZD, which is 22 megapixel but this is the most compromised back on the market (hence the cheapest). Some of the junior digital backs can be had refurbished for pretty good prices these days, with warranty. Try calling around some Sinar, Leaf, Phase and Hasselblad dealers. If you go for a Leaf or Phase back you will need to know which mount to get it in and be stuck with it (the others use adapters so the same back can be used on various platforms).

Your budget doesn't even get you into the Canon, unless you happen to have all the lenses you need already.

If you like to mix flash and ambient light at the weddings/events then the Canon's slow flash sync may be a problem.

Canons come into their own as ambient light shooters, convenient, with rapid frame rate capability and great low light capability. This doesn't seem to fit your work though.

Snook

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 07:48:22 am »

A good digital back will undoubtedly be better for studio portraits and jewelry photography (which is 80% of your work) than a Canon. However, your budget is not quite there. You could probably manage a Mamiya ZD, which is 22 megapixel but this is the most compromised back on the market (hence the cheapest). Some of the junior digital backs can be had refurbished for pretty good prices these days, with warranty. Try calling around some Sinar, Leaf, Phase and Hasselblad dealers. If you go for a Leaf or Phase back you will need to know which mount to get it in and be stuck with it (the others use adapters so the same back can be used on various platforms).

Your budget doesn't even get you into the Canon, unless you happen to have all the lenses you need already.

If you like to mix flash and ambient light at the weddings/events then the Canon's slow flash sync may be a problem.

Canons come into their own as ambient light shooters, convenient, with rapid frame rate capability and great low light capability. This doesn't seem to fit your work though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry I might add here that your budget would be just fine if you go with a 1DsMII Not the MIII which does not seem to be all that great from the first reviews.
I think in a month you will be able to pick up a 1DsMII for pretty cheap and lot's of money left over for some basic lens!!.
You'll have plenty of Megapixels with the 1DsMII. I have been using it for many years now with out ONE complaint!!
Snook

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:31 am »

The 5D might do just as well in most cases. Maybe you are better of using the 5D and make money of it until you have the budget to really spend some more. The DSII would make an interesting option as well (same reason).

It is not just the back which will already cost you almost your complete budget.

You already need to have:

1) Lenses & bodies
2) Adequate computer power (preferably laptop+desktop) with enough storage
3) Photoshop (you cannot do without IMO) and maybe something like Lightroom
4) Some courses PS if you have no experience at all

We have not even begun thinking about redundancies here.

You can only spend your money once, better do it wisely
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:05:25 am by Dustbak »

Snook

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:43 am »

The 5D might do just as well in most cases. Maybe you are better of using the 5D and make money of it until you have the budget to really spend some more. The DSII would make an interesting option as well (same reason).

It is not just the back which will already cost you almost your complete budget.

You already need to have:

1) Lenses & bodies
2) Adequate computer power (preferably laptop+desktop) with enough storage
3) Photoshop (you cannot do without IMO) and maybe something like Lightroom
4) Some courses PS if you have no experience at all

We have not even begun thinking about redundancies here.

You can only spend your money once, better do it wisely
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
DUstBak I agree totally...:+}
A 5D would also be more than enough and even cheaper.
You Forgot an import thing on your list.
EXTRA HARD DRIVES!!!  
I might even sell my 1DsMII and get the 5DII when it comes out for back up and catalogue jobs.
I had a 5D for back up to my 1DsMII and sold it to my assistant who was desperate for a camera to start his career.. But I loved that camera and the resolution was equal to the 1DsMII IMHO.
Snook

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 08:13:55 am »

Enough storage

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 08:28:52 am »

I can not agree more about what has been said about storage!

I have been using 39 mpix backs for about 1,5 years now, and my storageneeds are blowing all budgets. I have Lacie S2S 2,5 tb solutions (two, one backup) and they are near full. CD/DVD storage when approaching 400-500mb in a single finished .psd/.tif file with layers is useless, they take way to much time, and you don't get enough files on them pr. burn.

Online storage is useless unless you are on a very expensive fibre network with near unlimited upload speeds. The third backup is on varoius noname cheap firewire drives, almost never mounted. No out of house backup (I need to get this fixed, and I have no time to wait...)

Storage is expensive and needs to be factored in (but not that much for us europeans shopping american sites, now that the dollar is so weak   )

-axel

PS: Sorry Dustbak, just have to hammer this one in      
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:29:26 am by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Snook

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 08:45:55 am »

I can not agree more about what has been said about storage!

I have been using 39 mpix backs for about 1,5 years now, and my storageneeds are blowing all budgets. I have Lacie S2S 2,5 tb solutions (two, one backup) and they are near full. CD/DVD storage when approaching 400-500mb in a single finished .psd/.tif file with layers is useless, they take way to much time, and you don't get enough files on them pr. burn.

Online storage is useless unless you are on a very expensive fibre network with near unlimited upload speeds. The third backup is on varoius noname cheap firewire drives, almost never mounted. No out of house backup (I need to get this fixed, and I have no time to wait...)

Storage is expensive and needs to be factored in (but not that much for us europeans shopping american sites, now that the dollar is so weak   )

-axel

PS: Sorry Dustbak, just have to hammer this one in     
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I go through HD drives like crazy..
I buy the 500 gig seagates for my MacPro at B&H and they are actually pretty darn cheap at 130.00 a Pop.
Where I live in SA they are around 3 times that price here.
And like others have mention I have 2 BACK-UPS of everything...:+}
No RAID for me just straight out  2X Back-ups. Raids can get corrupt and corrupt both drives. I never use raids.
That adds up fast!
I have not even got my P30 yet and can only imagine the HD I will be filling.
I will also try and shoot less if I can..:+}
You get spoiled with Canons shooting so fast.
Snook
I have many clients that want me to Kepp a back-up for them also!!! uuuuuuffff I hate when they say that...
I usually burn One copy to DVD's with the favorite Picks Only.. Other wise I would be buring DVD's 24 hours a day..
Snook
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up