Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya problem ?  (Read 4706 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Mamiya problem ?
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:28:48 pm »

Today I noticed that I got a nice (not) black bar on the side of my pictures with flash, lowering the flash sync to 1/100 solves it for now but it's not good of course.

I will try to swap my body on monday if Mamiya NL is coörperating because it's a very hectic time over here and I can't miss my body now.

So the question is simple
Is this a know issue and a easy fix or is it what I'm afraid for the shuttercurtain.

Since I got the body it sometimes blocked the aperture leaving it wide open, on/off always solved that and it happened maybe once/twice a week.
But now with this problem I'm thinking maybe they are connected.

Hope some one here has experience with this problem.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 01:59:44 pm »

I have a similar problem with ZD. When using strobes only (1/125s) the bottom of the frame shows a blurred shutter curtain. I think it is sync speed miscalibration. It appeared after about 2500 shots. My ZD is waiting in Taiwan customs now for repair

ZOG

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:32:28 pm »

Same here. I can only sync at 1/60 of a second... On an AFD.

Too slow.....

Andre

amsp

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:46:47 pm »

I've had no such problems, have it checked out and buy a backup on eBay in the meantime.

JeffVo

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 03:38:21 pm »

Thats the shutter your seeing.  Its common.  It has nothing to do with the camera, but with focal plane shutters in general. I had the same problem with the Contax 645.  It was said the max sync is 125, but x was only 90.  Flash duration plays a big role.  If you have your profotos or other strobes cranked up you wont get 125, but at lower power you will....

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 04:39:12 pm »

Hi
Depends on wgat power packs you use. When I first tried a Mamiya ZD  @ 1/125th with Broncolor I had a slight cut off or blur at one side of the frame. With these packs you have to X @ 1/80 or 1/60.
I use Profoto & Alien Bee and have no problem with my Mamiya cameras. In the studio it is no big deal you just go down a shutter speed. best to shoot tethered on a test just to make sure
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

amsp

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 05:22:15 pm »

I use an AFD at 1/125th with profoto and pocket wizard plus II. Never had a single problem.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 07:09:34 pm »

Hi
You have to test your power packs. Broncolor has a flash x @ 1/80 sec. i also had a problem with Bowen mono blocks @ 1/125 with the ZD. Again with Profoto & Alien Bee ( bargain for the money, fantastic extra lights ) I have never had a problem. I also use pocket wizard.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

godtfred

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 07:13:51 pm »

Hi
You have to test your power packs. Broncolor has a flash x @ 1/80 sec. i also had a problem with Bowen mono blocks @ 1/125 with the ZD. Again with Profoto & Alien Bee ( bargain for the money, fantastic extra lights ) I have never had a problem. I also use pocket wizard.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hmmm, the specs for bron (grafit's in particular) are the best in the business when it comes down to short burn rates, my profotos (acute, pro-b and compacts) are way behind the brons when it comes down to burn times. Also i read that you cant compare the two systems, as Profoto uses a factor of 0,5 to calculate burn times, but bron uses a factor of 1. (I have no idea of what I'm talking about here, but read this on another forum some time ago, could not find it again though, so if someone has the appropriate info, come forth...)

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Snook

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 07:28:13 pm »

Hmmm, the specs for bron (grafit's in particular) are the best in the business when it comes down to short burn rates, my profotos (acute, pro-b and compacts) are way behind the brons when it comes down to burn times. Also i read that you cant compare the two systems, as Profoto uses a factor of 0,5 to calculate burn times, but bron uses a factor of 1. (I have no idea of what I'm talking about here, but read this on another forum some time ago, could not find it again though, so if someone has the appropriate info, come forth...)

-axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeh A lot of people by Bron's just for their Short flash durations...
That is one reason they are not so cheap either.
You might have a connection problem or Pocket wizard problem. It is known that if you want to try and sync a little higher you have to use the Multi's by Pocket wizard.
Snook

Frank Doorhof

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 05:50:07 am »

I used it before for many times and it worked flawless.

It's from one day to the other.

System is Elinchrom RX and Elinchrom Skyports so there should not be a problem there, I have tried several skyports just to make sure.
on 1/100 it works perfectly but it worked on 1/125
Combined with the hanging aperture sometimes it's I think time for a swap, the body is 6 months old.

With the cheaper flash systems I know the sync problems but with the RX I never had the problem luckely
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:51:23 am by Frank Doorhof »

Snook

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 08:04:34 am »

I used it before for many times and it worked flawless.

It's from one day to the other.

System is Elinchrom RX and Elinchrom Skyports so there should not be a problem there, I have tried several skyports just to make sure.
on 1/100 it works perfectly but it worked on 1/125
Combined with the hanging aperture sometimes it's I think time for a swap, the body is 6 months old.

With the cheaper flash systems I know the sync problems but with the RX I never had the problem luckely
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=157630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Problem may be the Skyports.
what is the recommended Sync Speed for Skyports?
The Pocket wizards are a little higher and the Multi's supposedly even sync higher.
May be your Skyports.
Doubt that it is your Elin's b/c they have a very high "Short Flash duration" actually the highest in their CLass!
I actually almost bought some Elin's recently just for that reason...:+}
Snook.
Try syncing with a regular sync cord and you might be surprised.
Snook

Frank Doorhof

Mamiya problem ?
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 04:45:53 pm »

Well as mentioned before I tried different skyports and ALL of them worked fine the last 6 months.

So unless at once all my skyports broke down at the same time or all my flash heads are defective I think it's the mamiya

I will call them tomorrow and see if it's an easy fix or that I need a longer time.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:47:53 pm by Frank Doorhof »
Pages: [1]   Go Up