Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Price Reduction on Canon 5D-phaseout?  (Read 9852 times)

BradSmith

Price Reduction on Canon 5D-phaseout?
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:52:26 pm »

I've just noticed what amounts to an effective price reduction on the 5D to around $2000.  

If you purchase the camera and buy a Canon Pro 9500 or 9000 13x19" printer, you get a $500 rebate.  At a local pro shop in Los Angeles, this amounts to $2400 for the 5D body and a little over $400 for the Pro 9000 printer.  So, final cost is about $2300.  And even if you don't need the printer, looks like they are selling for about $300-325 on ebay.  So final cost is about $2000 for the 5D.

Weren't the bodies selling at about $2800 or so prior to the 40D?   I imagine that this reduction is the precursor of a new version of the 5D.    What do you think they'll replace it with?

michael

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:56:49 pm »

It's no secret that there's a 5D replacement around the corner, so the discounting seen is no surprise. Hell of a value at this point.

Michael

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:49:42 pm »

As a Nikon shooter. I am really tempted with this extreme value the Canon 5d have become. A fullframe digtal for this price is fantastic. If it wernt for my lens collection I would switched for Canon.

Heh, I wish for the day that Nikon brings out a budget fullframe. Maybe I end up with cheap secondhand 5d. This price dumping would probaly make the second hand market even more good for a photographer on budget.
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

Andy M

• http://
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:19:57 pm »

I think it's also to counter the D300.

As has been said, it's fantastic value for a fantastic camera

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:06:06 pm »

It will be interesting to see what the new 5DII prices at upon release.  I had  thought that it would be lower than the original 5d release. However,  because the new 1DsmkIII has the same MSRP and street price as the 1DsmkII when it was released, I bet the 5DII will follow a similar trend.  Of course, the US dollar is falling albeit the Japanese currency has not been as stellar as the Euro or GBP so I am only guessing at this point.

I think it's also to counter the D300.

As has been said, it's fantastic value for a fantastic camera
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 10:36:33 am »

The 5-D with a 24-105/4 IS lens is down to about $2950 at B+H, Adorama, and Amazon. That's a heck of a deal for a (still) excellent camera. I'm still going back and forth on waiting for the replacement (and continuing to use my 1-D2 bodies), but the new one will likely be US$1000 more than the current price for the 5-D. That's a significant difference.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

CJL

• http://www.imageswest.ca
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:11:07 am »

The price of a 5D body in Canada is now below $1700 with the Canon rebates.

Sunesha

• http://sunesha.se
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 11:39:18 am »

In sweden a Canon 5D is about 2700 dollar/2470 euro excluding VAT.

It is just plain silly how cheap stuff are in the states.

I guess I need to take another trip to USA this summer dollar still makes a bargain for me.(1 US dollar is 6.255 swedish krona. In year 2000 1 dollar was around 11 swedish krona.) I will conclude that savings around 40% for a swedish traveler to buy camera stuff in USA.

I would recommend to buy cheap stuff in USA. At least nikon lenses have same guarantee bought in the states as in Europe. Bodies is different thou.

I think main reason that you make big savings is that prices dont change in states.(Beeing one off the biggest markets in world you benefit from this) So if you non US-citizen you can go their and if your currency has become better against US dollar you make good saving. At least in Europe most countries have gone above US dollar. Also USA is great country for a photographer alot off good nature off diffrent climate.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:47:23 am by Sunesha »
Daniel Sunebring, Malmoe, Sweden
Homepag

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:52:43 pm »

Aside from Full-frame sensor and extra pixels, I am not sure why anyone would buy the 5D when the 40D is very competetive with it.  Of course having access to a larger selection of wide angle lenses would be good, but for my taste, that extra $700 could buy another lens--say a 10-22.  

okay, so there are a few good reasons to get the 5D...
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 10:25:07 pm »

As soon as the 5DMII comes out, and is out for a few months to go through the shakedown - my 30D is history!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 10:26:36 pm »

As soon as the 5DMII comes out, and is out for a few months to go through the shakedown - my 30D is history!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep.  I want a 5d but I want the new 40d features.  So long as the 5d replacement has those I'll buy.

aaykay

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 06:33:08 am »

It's no secret that there's a 5D replacement around the corner, so the discounting seen is no surprise. Hell of a value at this point.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Also, the fact that there is a Sony FF (A900) that may be announced by PMA, along with Carl Zeiss lenses in the Vario-Sonnar 16-35 f/2.8 and Vario-Sonnar 24-70 f/2.8, along with several other lenses, might force the price downward for FF. They are also pulling their 70-200 f/2.8 "G" from the market and the replacement is speculated to be a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 70-200 f/2.8 too.  Sony has also stated that they have solved the technical limitation imposed by a body-based Stabilization working with a FF sensor....whatever that means.

Nikon Management has also indicated their commitment to their FX-format and is expected to introduce a FF in a D300-type body.  Hopefully that will not impact the sales of their D3 model.

Who knows, the 5D II might be introduced at the $2000-2200 pricepoint, if only to grab the vital "body" marketshare (especially spurred on by competitive pressures), since as we know, sale of FF bodies will necessitate the purchase of expensive, high-margin high-end lenses, along with other accessories and being locked in long term to a "system".  The quicker they lock the more people in, the longer they can hope to benefit, even if they have to take a  margin thinning upfront, on the body.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:35:57 am by aaykay »

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 07:05:07 am »

Here in Greece 5D has come down to 2150 Euro inc. VAT !!! and thats a very good deal. Also I am quite sure we will not see its replacement in the shops before summer or further. Maybe at the next Photokina who knows...

sojournerphoto

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:01 am »

I've just noticed what amounts to an effective price reduction on the 5D to around $2000. 

If you purchase the camera and buy a Canon Pro 9500 or 9000 13x19" printer, you get a $500 rebate.  At a local pro shop in Los Angeles, this amounts to $2400 for the 5D body and a little over $400 for the Pro 9000 printer.  So, final cost is about $2300.  And even if you don't need the printer, looks like they are selling for about $300-325 on ebay.  So final cost is about $2000 for the 5D.

Weren't the bodies selling at about $2800 or so prior to the 40D?   I imagine that this reduction is the precursor of a new version of the 5D.    What do you think they'll replace it with?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the 5D is excellent value at the moment in the UK and worldwide. I suspect the basic image quality remains good in comparison to most of the challengers (particularly if your in the canon system already) and I am looking forward to Michael's comments on how it compares to the 1Ds3. Then there will be a further comparison for the 5D2 (or whatever it's called) - hopefully this will again top the IQ league and offer lower noise and smoother transitions etc...

I have a 5D, but am waiting before adding a second body until I either need one for a job or know where things are going in the 1Ds3/5D2 lines.

Mike

aaykay

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 10:23:47 am »

Here in Greece 5D has come down to 2150 Euro inc. VAT !!! and thats a very good deal. Also I am quite sure we will not see its replacement in the shops before summer or further. Maybe at the next Photokina who knows...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Typically when Canon (unlike Nikon) announces a camera, it would be available for purchase almost right away.  If they make an announcement of the 5D II by end of January, prior to PMA, it should be widely available by February or March.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 04:17:46 am »

The fall in the US dollar is a premeditated strategy to bring money into the US from other countries. It also lowers the debt the US pays to other countries, since debt is in US dollars for US debt. Canada enjoyed this type of economics in the US, with Canadian products being very good and about 30% cheaper than equally good products in the US, until now. So yes, when people come from Europe and other countries, they will buy more goods while in the US, spurring the US economy. We in the US would go "south of the border" to Mexico for cheap rugs and other things because they were duty free to bring back across the US/Mex border. Same type of deal except the dollar has always been on top until now.

The downside is that for US citizens traveling abroad, they expect o lose up to 30% for their money.

In sweden a Canon 5D is about 2700 dollar/2470 euro excluding VAT.

It is just plain silly how cheap stuff are in the states.

I guess I need to take another trip to USA this summer dollar still makes a bargain for me.(1 US dollar is 6.255 swedish krona. In year 2000 1 dollar was around 11 swedish krona.) I will conclude that savings around 40% for a swedish traveler to buy camera stuff in USA.

I would recommend to buy cheap stuff in USA. At least nikon lenses have same guarantee bought in the states as in Europe. Bodies is different thou.

I think main reason that you make big savings is that prices dont change in states.(Beeing one off the biggest markets in world you benefit from this) So if you non US-citizen you can go their and if your currency has become better against US dollar you make good saving. At least in Europe most countries have gone above US dollar. Also USA is great country for a photographer alot off good nature off diffrent climate.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 12:03:42 pm »

I think that's a little wishful thinking and it is not quite that simple, however this is not the place for this discussion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up