I am sure that most Mac OSX users around here are wondering just like me whether there is value in migrating to Leopard, how it should be done and what is the best timing for this.
My hope would be:
- performance enhancement thanks to a better usage of multicore machines like my 8 cores Mac Pro. Any benchamarks showing real world speed gains in applications like PS, PTgui, Helicon,...?
- True 64 bits core opening the door to more 64 bits application with better memory Mgt for large data. This is not in a hurry since those applications are just not there yet unfortunately.
- some productivity enhancement thanks to features like document preview, better spotlight and a more robust boot drive back up thanks to the time machine.
Anything else that would be of value for photographers?
Since my Mac is a critical piece of my workflow, any significant downtime resulting from the migration would be a real bummer.
What I am mostly concerned about is:
- driver for key hardware like the SCSI320 card connecting to the external Wiebetech disk unit,
- internal RAID1 disk,
- applications readiness for Leopard,
Doing a backup before migrating seems to be the most reasonnable thing to do, but I want to maximize the chances that things work OK the first time.
Any feedback on this would be useful.