Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tip Mamiya AF lenses  (Read 6885 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
tip Mamiya AF lenses
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:12:25 pm »

Maybe some people know this already but I got a few mails from people who also owned the 55-110 from Mamiya claiming the lens had incredible front or backfocus and was unusable for them and they sold it.

When you disconnect the AF lenses from the body you will see a few screws which hold the metal barrel, those should be tightened well (secure is secure don't over do it).

But there is also another screw.
With this screw you can "calibrate ?" your lens, my 55-110 was backfocussing 50-60cms when I got the unit (distance to subject 3-4mtrs), it took me arround 2 hours of testing and very secure changing the screw positions and the lens is now as sharp as my other mamiya lenses.
Also the 150mm I got on ebay needed a VERY little adjustment.

Again, maybe some people will already know this but I'm sure there are also people who don't, so here it is

Greetings,
Frank
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:42:09 pm by Frank Doorhof »

amsp

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:38:19 pm »

Thanks, I for one didn't know this. I haven't had any problems with mamiya lenses so far but I'm planning on buying some more soon so it might come in handy.

Henry Goh

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:57:34 pm »

Maybe some people know this already but I got a few mails from people who also owned the 55-110 from Mamiya claiming the lens had incredible front or backfocus and was unusable for them and they sold it.

When you disconnect the AF lenses from the body you will see a few screws which hold the metal barrel, those should be tightened well (secure is secure don't over do it).

But there is also another screw.
With this screw you can "calibrate" your lens, my 55-110 was backfocussing 50-60cms when I got the unit (distance to subject 3-4mtrs), it took me arround 2 hours of testing and very secure changing the screw positions and the lens is now as sharp as my other mamiya lenses.
Also the 150mm I got on ebay needed a VERY little adjustment.

Again, maybe some people will already know this but I'm sure there are also people who don't, so here it is

Greetings,
Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Frank,

If you can find the time, perhaps take 1 photo to illustrate because that would really help.  Just 1 photo to show which screw.  Thanks.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:14:31 pm »

Hi
Thanks for that, a photo would be great. I have that lens & it gets used most of the time. Do you have the 75-150, as I have heard it is excellent.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

canmiya

• beyond stills
tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:26:47 pm »

Hi
Thanks for that, a photo would be great. I have that lens & it gets used most of the time. Do you have the 75-150, as I have heard it is excellent.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147046\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

denis,
i bought the 75-150 in june when it became available:  the lens is absolutely incredible and is my most used lens.  it generally only comes off the camera when i need to shoot with a wider prime or longer than 150.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:27:22 pm by canmiya »

Frank Doorhof

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 03:32:50 am »

Hi,
Photo is not necessary just disconnect the lens from the body as you normally do. Look at the bottom of the lens (the part that connects to the body) and you will see a lot of screws looking the same, those are not the adjustment screw.

There will be ONE screw with a different grip (not a star but one groove) and that's the one, it's really seen right away.

All my gear is packed for the trip to the states so I can't get it anymore.

I tested the 75-150 a while ago (mini review is on my blog www.doorhof.nl/blog under reviews).
I loved the quality of the lens but it was not my choice, the 75 is not wide enough and the 150 is not zoom enough so it was a fun lens to use and the results are superb but to walk arround the 55-110 and 110-210 are a better choice for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:34:16 am by Frank Doorhof »

jonstewart

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 03:40:40 am »

Thanks a lot Frank, I'll be testing my lenses in a few days, once I get the teething troubles of the AFD2 firmware sorted out!

How much, and  in what direction do you turn it, for what effect?

I ask, since I wouldn't want to 'screw up' the adjustment!  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:45:55 am by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

awofinden

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 10:39:57 am »

Thanks a lot Frank, I'll be testing my lenses in a few days, once I get the teething troubles of the AFD2 firmware sorted out!

How much, and  in what direction do you turn it, for what effect?

I ask, since I wouldn't want to 'screw up' the adjustment! 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147124\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Surely that isn't a screw but the part that the AF motor spindle locks into for AF?

Frank Doorhof

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:09:02 pm »

Don't know what it does further than that, it does indeed however change the position of the lens front to back.
HOWEVER my 55-110 was wrong before the adjustments and is now as sharp as I can expect it to be.

awofinden

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 02:12:57 pm »

Don't know what it does further than that, it does indeed however change the position of the lens front to back.
HOWEVER my 55-110 was wrong before the adjustments and is now as sharp as I can expect it to be.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, it changes it because its the focus spindle, it has the same effect as moving the focus ring. Am I missing something?

Frank Doorhof

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 03:05:57 pm »

Normally I would agree 100%.
When you turn it the focus ring changes.

HOWEVER.
I made a test setup with 3 bottles and focused on the center one.
With almost all settings the front bottle was razorsharp and the center one OOF.
Whatever I tried, manual focus or whatever the front one was sharp.
When I found out that all the screws were set correctly I decided to turn that one.
The first impression was indeed as you say it's the focus motor, it fits because the barrel extends when turning, so I gave up.

Placed the lens back and did one last test, I was struck with delight when I saw that now still the front bottle was in focus but on the back.
I decided to try it again and turned it one whole turn more, when connecting again and testing the focus had drifted to the center.

It took me arround 2 hours to get the result I wanted, but this was more because I was trying to get it picture perfect, when you set it one little bit too much it's out of focus again so it's very very precise.

After one hour I had an almost perfect focus but when I tried the 150mm I decided to give it one more try (that one was MUCH sharper), and after another hour I got it app arround the same quality as the 150mm which is sharp without any blurring of the edges.

So it's correct it's the focus drive probarbly and I won't suggest to do it blindly on all your lenses, but when you have a back/front focus problem before dumping the lens or sending it in I would really test this.

dburdeny

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »

This doesn’t make any sense to me. From what I can tell, turning the “screw” with a screwdriver does exactly what the camera does when it’s focusing. The focus ring turns and nothing else. It’s not calibrating anything…just focusing...off camera...perhaps I’m missing something in the process.

Frank Doorhof

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 04:41:26 pm »

I would love someone from a more technical side comment on it.
It was also a strange thing for me but the results are not withstanding.
When I turn the screw a bit from this position the picture is soft again, setting it back makes it perfect again.

ternst

tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »

Does anyone have an update on this issue? I have a 55-110 that has back focus issues and can't seem to get this focus screw to have any effect. Is there something special you can do with this drive screw, or was this report simply a fluke? Thanks...

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
tip Mamiya AF lenses
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 07:28:55 pm »

Maybe you have to "hold" the focus ring on the lens while you "adjust" the drive screw and thusly change the focus position?  Don't know, haven't tried it since all my lenses focus great, but just a thought.
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up