Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mamiya website  (Read 15499 times)

amsp

New Mamiya website
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:38 pm »

Mamiya finally updated their .com website, now it actually looks like a living breathing company. Also, am I the only one who thinks it's about time they update the AFDII too? In the AFDIII I'd like to see a better AF, faster flash synch and a rechargeable battery. What improvements would you like to see?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 01:36:15 pm by amsp »

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
New Mamiya website
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:12:07 pm »

talking of which the us new site makes no mention of the zd camera.
robert white here in the uk, the main dealer for the zd camera has now taken it off its main page and seems to be reducing the amount of site coverage...is it being phased out, replaced?...anyone know.
It would be such a shame if the all in one medium format digital camera market died...for those that want the improved quality at larger print sizes, etc they give over 35mm digital alternatives but in the more compact dslr styling

Marc
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:13:00 pm by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

BJL

New Mamiya website
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:03:09 pm »

robert white here in the uk, the main dealer for the zd camera has now taken it off its main page ...[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I guess that the Mamiya ZD camera is being replaced by the "Mamiya 645ZD", which is a kit with 645AFD II body and ZD back. This new combination (with lens) is being sold for less that the ZD body (with lens) at places like Robert White, so I doubt that many people would go for the less upgradable, less flexible, more expensive integral body option.

Between this and the Pentax 645 digital being in limbo, it seems that the time for integrated DMF bodies has not yet come, if it ever does.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:03:42 pm by BJL »

marcwilson

New Mamiya website
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:23:58 pm »

Yes that sounds very likely.
A shame as just as in the film days there was always room and need for cameras such as the Mamiya 6 and 7 rangefinders alongside the more traditional shaped medium format cameras with their enhaced portability etc.
With the way this seems to be going it will certainly be interesting when we start to see actual large scale lightjet / lambda print comparisons (100x100cm etc) between similarly priced cameras such as the afd645zd combo and the 1dsmkIII when shot at the lowest iso, tripod, best possible lenses (brand specific or otherwise) in landscape style image situations with distant detail etc...perhaps they will show no need for a zd or similar medium format all in one (but I doubt it as bigger physical sized sensors do seem to give better detail, etc. at the very large print sizes.)

Marc
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:25:00 pm by marcwilson »

Frank Doorhof

• http://
New Mamiya website
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:48:22 pm »

PLEASE bring an accu version indeed.
I'm having big problems with my recharchable penlites.
They last 2 days and then it's over.

jimgolden

• http://
New Mamiya website
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:29:56 pm »

2 things on the site I noticed:

1. "Compatible with Mamiya 645AF*/AFD/AFD II and Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID
In addition to these current models, adapters will soon be available for older RZ67, RB67, viewfinder cameras and more"

viewfinder cameras? like the 6 or 7? or VIEW cameras?

2. "22 Mega Pixel CCD
The 36mm x 48mm Dalsa CCD imaging sensor contains 22 million active pixels (total 4008h x 5344v). The 14 bit A/D (Analog to Digital) conversion provides exceptional true-to-life color accuracy."

no mention of 12 bit anything? how does that work?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:38:15 pm »

robert white here in the uk, the main dealer for the zd camera has now taken it off its main page and seems to be reducing the amount of site coverage...is it being phased out, replaced?...anyone know.
It would be such a shame if the all in one medium format digital camera market died...for those that want the improved quality at larger print sizes, etc they give over 35mm digital alternatives but in the more compact dslr styling

Marc
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Before we jump to conclusions take a look at the Mamiya company web site. [a href=\"http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.mamiya.co.jp/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMamiya%2BDigital%2BImaging%2BCo.,%2BLtd%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG]http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG[/url]
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:37:46 am »

Ehhh... in all respect to all of you above... lets stick to facts rather than fiction and spreading of false rumors:

#1: 27-28 Sept is indicated as holiday on Mamiya Japan website per link aboce, in spite of seemingly bad translation of Goodle in above. I do not know for sure of holidays in Japan, but across Asia (I know China and Korea for facts) midautum holiday is celebrated around the dates preannounced on Mamiya Japan website.

#2: Re: Robert White, is it strange for a retailer to after a very long period not to hold Mamiya ZD camera on their front page??? How many retailers hold a single camera on their front page as they did with the ZD camera???

#3 There have been more problems associated with the ZD back than the ZD camera, then why would there be any plan to discontinue it??

#4: Why would the ZD back replace the ZD camera? The ZD camera is not sold in USA (sorry), but in rest of world. USA market is not dictating rest of world, rather it has in past been clear the USA agent was at problem for not offering any ZD whatseoever on USA shores. Personally I should add that I am extremely impressed by the user interface on the ZD camera which beats Nikon and Canon hands down. It is simple and photographically aimed. The ZD camera also handles far better than the AFDII+ZD back which I also tried, and with seemingly far less glitches.

I hold lots of respect for Mamiya who have provided us with the fine ZDs at competitive prices, and in their efforts in working to sort out any glitches that their first MF digitals have encountered.

I think it is appropriate not to spread false rumors on their accounts, although seemingly in another post a Phase agent tried do so by never presenting what their product was superior at with ISO50-125 and less than 5 seconds which is what most of us frequently shoot!

Regards
Anders

Snook

New Mamiya website
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 10:53:37 am »

Anders, I have a couple of questions or remarks.
If so many have sold why no one has reported more on them? B&H got one shipment in and never got anymore (BACK)
I really do not understand why more people have not reported on the ZD back or camera?
Don't you find that pretty strange?
Your about the only one that reports in or defends the ZD.
Also, Why in the heck would anybody want to get locked into the ZD camera,not back. It makes no sense at all. No upgrade for the future and you cannot use the camera with film or any other back in the future.
Also if Mamiya's only strong point right now is the ZD back and camera, why would they take it off their mainpage?
I was also wondering why the Phase guy did not report back on the ZD vs Phase one at lower times and ASA. You might have a point there for sure.
In any case I hope they get their act together. I was written to by the Head guy at Mamiya USA and he told me in October there should be a whole new shipment of ZD Backs but so far I have not seen anything.
I have to admit I am really wondering about the ZD as it is a great price and I never shoot above asa 100 But nothing so far has made me want to buy it except the price point, But I cannot only on that as all the earlier problems threw me off for sure.
My clients cannot except any errors in my files or shoots because as we all know it is impossible to have to reshoot because of Purple worms and such.
All I can say is that I have the Aptus 22, phase P25/30 strong in my head right now and Mamiya will have to prove their product is Solid before I waste 7K. I would rather pay double and have a proven product like Leaf or Phase.
One other guy here in these forums who is always saying he has the ZD back and likes never seems to post any pictures so I find it hard to believe he even has one.
I think there are about 2 or 3 people in these forums with the ZD camera or back but No where else does anybody even talk about the ZD back. No other forums I know of. And Every Link to the mamiya camera from you guys in here is from the original news or review of 2-3 years ago.
There is nothing about it on any forum or website that is current that I know of.
Hopefully some one can prove me wrong but so far I have found only reviews from years ago.
That should tell you something!  
Snook

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
New Mamiya website
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 01:01:25 pm »

I really do not understand why more people have not reported on the ZD back or camera?

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What???  I think I was one of the first to post here about the ZD camera, including several sample images.  Several others have too.  I have owned a ZD camera for more than a year.  Its pretty popular in Europe.  I have said before and repeat now that I rate the ZD camera very highly.  

As for reviews, Professional Photographer in the UK recently ran an article on a photographer who was using a ZD and raved about how good it was.  Michael has done his own ZD reviews and you can read them right here on this site.

You must pay better attention    

Quentin
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 01:06:09 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

juicy

New Mamiya website
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 01:30:37 pm »

Hi Snook!

And Every Link to the mamiya camera from you guys in here is from the original news or review of 2-3 years ago.
There is nothing about it on any forum or website that is current that I know of.

Michael wrote a review on Mamiya ZD camera here on LL in march 2007 and you'll find it in review-archive in alphabet M. It was mostly positive feedback if I remember correctly.

Why in the heck would anybody want to get locked into the ZD camera,not back. It makes no sense at all. No upgrade for the future and you cannot use the camera with film or any other back in the future.

I think this is no different from locking oneself in Nikon-camera, Canon-camera or Whateveron-camera. As long as the ZD-camera is able to produce excellent quality images for someone's needs and feels good in his/her hands then why not? The handling is different from 645Afd+back, the UI is reportedly excellent and many people have been pleased in real-world situations using the ZD-camera.

I don't have one yet, probably never will have one, no intentions to any direction here, just my 0,02€.

Cheers,
J

helged

New Mamiya website
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 04:36:26 pm »

1. "Compatible with Mamiya 645AF*/AFD/AFD II and Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID
In addition to these current models, adapters will soon be available for older RZ67, RB67, viewfinder cameras and more"

viewfinder cameras? like the 6 or 7? or VIEW cameras?

Any views or news on whats meant by or hidden behind "viewfinder cameras"?

Thanks!

-h

canmiya

• beyond stills
New Mamiya website
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 04:38:01 pm »

Anders, I have a couple of questions or remarks.
If so many have sold why no one has reported more on them? B&H got one shipment in and never got anymore (BACK)
Also, Why in the heck would anybody want to get locked into the ZD camera,not back. It makes no sense at all. No upgrade for the future and you cannot use the camera with film or any other back in the future.
Also if Mamiya's only strong point right now is the ZD back and camera, why would they take it off their mainpage?
I was also wondering why the Phase guy did not report back on the ZD vs Phase one at lower times and ASA. You might have a point there for sure.
In any case I hope they get their act together. I was written to by the Head guy at Mamiya USA and he told me in October there should be a whole new shipment of ZD Backs but so far I have not seen anything.
I have to admit I am really wondering about the ZD as it is a great price and I never shoot above asa 100 But nothing so far has made me want to buy it except the price point, But I cannot only on that as all the earlier problems threw me off for sure.
My clients cannot except any errors in my files or shoots because as we all know it is impossible to have to reshoot because of Purple worms and such.
All I can say is that I have the Aptus 22, phase P25/30 strong in my head right now and Mamiya will have to prove their product is Solid before I waste 7K. I would rather pay double and have a proven product like Leaf or Phase.
One other guy here in these forums who is always saying he has the ZD back and likes never seems to post any pictures so I find it hard to believe he even has one.
I think there are about 2 or 3 people in these forums with the ZD camera or back but No where else does anybody even talk about the ZD back. No other forums I know of. And Every Link to the mamiya camera from you guys in here is from the original news or review of 2-3 years ago.
Hopefully some one can prove me wrong but so far I have found only reviews from years ago.
That should tell you something!  
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
snook,
your comment about B&H only getting one shipment of ZD backs in is incorrect.  They have actually had a couple of shipments-but every time they come in , they are sold out within 2 hours.( and yes i was in the store the last time a shipment came in and they were gone within about an hour.)  if you have signed up for product notification, there is a lag between the time that items come in and when e-mail notifications go out.  you may not get a notice if the item sells out quickly.  i have no idea how many b&h gets  in at a time....
the zd back is on the mamiya homepage...as to why the zd camera is not, that is a question for mamiya....as for U.S reviews, the current issue of Picture Magazine has a very positive review of the Zd back.
Mamiya's marketing of the ZD here in the U.S has been a bit slow but some of that may be tied to getting their dealer /retail network together: the first corporate sponsored print ads for the back (that i have seen)  and the new lenses are just appearing in the November issues of the photography magazines.  The back bone of most review sites and even most photo publications are DSLR's and point and shoots...There is little coverage of medium and large format gear to begin with.  
As for why more people may not be posting on the web- could be that people don't want to be asked to produce samples and files or see their technique be scrutinized and ridiculed. After watching the way that some people responded to some of frank d's posts on his Zd back experiences, why would anyone else in their right mind subject themselves to this!  and especially since they are not being paid by mamiya as a marketing rep or product ombudsperson or going to gain financially if someone decides to buy the back because of their "review."  
 the reasons that their was no follow-up from on the comparison you referenced, you may want to go back and read dave gallagher's post here:
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19700]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19700[/url]
as for your comment about the back vs. the camera, no current dslr is upgradable, so imo, the zd camera is basically like making the decision to shoot with any other dslr.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 04:40:27 pm by canmiya »

marcwilson

New Mamiya website
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 04:54:22 pm »

Ehhh... in all respect to all of you above... lets stick to facts rather than fiction and spreading of false rumors:

#2: Re: Robert White, is it strange for a retailer to after a very long period not to hold Mamiya ZD camera on their front page??? How many retailers hold a single camera on their front page as they did with the ZD camera???

I think it is appropriate not to spread false rumors on their accounts, although seemingly in another post a Phase agent tried do so by never presenting what their product was superior at with ISO50-125 and less than 5 seconds which is what most of us frequently shoot!

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

err..all I did was ask!

Bernd B.

New Mamiya website
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 04:58:27 pm »

In the AFDIII I'd like to see a better AF, faster flash synch and a rechargeable battery. What improvements would you like to see?
Cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144050\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think Mamiya doesn`t have the means to update their AFDII. They must sell some ZD-Backs first.

My only wish would be: a better finder. I recently bought an AFD and shot some slide films to see if this camera system could be a base for my future digital system. The only problem for me remained the finder. Even with the screen for manual focussing I can not tell the exact point of focus.

With a Hasselblad H I could. I just bought one on Ebay to test it against the AFD for my personal needs.

When I believe in the helpful hints in this forum, the over priced Hasselblad H lenses are in no way better than the Mamiya lenses. I´d rather like myself getting along with the AFD because it would save me a lot of money and give me a 28mm which I won´t get with a H1 and a Leaf back.

But I simply think Mamiya won´t do a redesign of their whole finder system. I think they are not even aware of the problem and think working on a better finder in the days of AF is useless.

With the original 1984 Pentax 645 I can focus precise. Shame on Mamiya for not doing any better on this (thus being released in 1999). I generally like their "open system" and "reasonably priced" attitude a lot more than Hasselblads "draw as much money as we can out of our customers". But if they are the only company who cares about a good finder I´ll go with them.

Snook

New Mamiya website
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 05:15:27 pm »

I do not know what B&H your talking about but ,I have a great relationship with them (NY) and buy over 5K a month from them and Have e-mailed them and have been on the list. They have not gotten any more in. They got one maybe 2 shipments in SEVERAL months ago and have not received any more. So your information is wrong. That has been verified by the MAC head of Sales for the ZD to me in an e-mail.
They are supposed to be sending out a batch  this month but I have not heard anything.
Also if their were so many sales in Europe, More people would be Posting some where on the Net, So I think you are wrong there also.
Quentin, Your just the guy I was talking about in  this thread. What happened to those samples you said you were going to post.
Also comparing the ZD and Canon, Nikon is not going to happen. They are for totally different markets.
And you guys talk of one or two reviews... That is not very many for the large market there is.
IF the ZD was "actually" as good as some of the higher $$ backs, You bet there would be a lot more post.
AS far as Frank's report. There is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to get something for his reviews from Mamiya. And it is no coincidence that he ended up not buying one and finally went with Leaf for double the money. He even states this.
Purple worms and the tethered problem has not been solved from what I have read in these and other forums.
So I beg to differ.
I do however think with the soon to be released Canon 1DsMIII that the ZD will either die or Hopefully they will invest in a ZDII, Otherwise they are dead in the water with the Other Back manufacturers Lowering there prices recently.
Just like always the same 2-3 people posting here. So it makes me wonder.
I think Mamiya  is making a grave marketing error by not responding to the Purple worms and tethered problem.
They have not even assumed that is exist. which is an error. At least Canon steps up to the plate and admits there are errors/bugs and fixes them.
I have already bought a Mamiya AFDII with several lens and am debating between a Phase and Leaf at the moment, But if Mamiya could get it together and really had a decent product I think they could enter easily into the market, But that has not happened so far.
I guess time will tell.
I am in no way bashing the ZD, contrarily I would like to see it live. But from what I have seen and read nothing has changed.
Snook

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
New Mamiya website
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:46:25 pm »

I
Quentin, Your just the guy I was talking about in  this thread. What happened to those samples you said you were going to post.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try this thread
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11724&hl=mamiya]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....11724&hl=mamiya[/url]

and the link to an image I posted in August 2006, shortly after I purchased the ZD

http://www.pbase.com/image/64654543/original

and this not long after

http://www.pbase.com/dougas_freer/image/65081388

All you need to do is perform a search...

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

canmiya

• beyond stills
New Mamiya website
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 08:28:25 pm »

I do not know what B&H your talking about but ,I have a great relationship with them (NY) and buy over 5K a month from them and Have e-mailed them and have been on the list. They have not gotten any more in. They got one maybe 2 shipments in SEVERAL months ago and have not received any more. So your information is wrong. That has been verified by the MAC head of Sales for the ZD to me in an e-mail.
They are supposed to be sending out a batch  this month but I have not heard anything.
Also if their were so many sales in Europe, More people would be Posting some where on the Net, So I think you are wrong there also.
Quentin, Your just the guy I was talking about in  this thread. What happened to those samples you said you were going to post.
Also comparing the ZD and Canon, Nikon is not going to happen. They are for totally different markets.
And you guys talk of one or two reviews... That is not very many for the large market there is.
IF the ZD was "actually" as good as some of the higher $$ backs, You bet there would be a lot more post.
AS far as Frank's report. There is no doubt in my mind that he was trying to get something for his reviews from Mamiya. And it is no coincidence that he ended up not buying one and finally went with Leaf for double the money. He even states this.
Purple worms and the tethered problem has not been solved from what I have read in these and other forums.
So I beg to differ.
I do however think with the soon to be released Canon 1DsMIII that the ZD will either die or Hopefully they will invest in a ZDII, Otherwise they are dead in the water with the Other Back manufacturers Lowering there prices recently.
Just like always the same 2-3 people posting here. So it makes me wonder.
I think Mamiya  is making a grave marketing error by not responding to the Purple worms and tethered problem.
They have not even assumed that is exist. which is an error. At least Canon steps up to the plate and admits there are errors/bugs and fixes them.
I have already bought a Mamiya AFDII with several lens and am debating between a Phase and Leaf at the moment, But if Mamiya could get it together and really had a decent product I think they could enter easily into the market, But that has not happened so far.
I guess time will tell.
I am in no way bashing the ZD, contrarily I would like to see it live. But from what I have seen and read nothing has changed.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
the first in stock of the zd back hit B&h  the last week in july...they were gone in very short order....three weeks or so later i was in the store at the mf counter, when  the sales person indicated they had gotten some in that morning (how many ?) and they were already gone...As i live and work in nyc, there is hardly a week that goes by that i am not in B&H for something. so no my information is actually not wrong.  Your post indicated there was only one shipment, i simply indicated there were a couple--not just one.
if i remember correctly, frank had a loaner and actually did purchase the zd, but when he began having problems with the unit he purchase, (he had returned the demo) he approached his dealer and was able to work out getting his money back.
canons record of steppin up to the plate as of the last two years or so is kind of spotty:  stepped up to the plate on the 24-105 flare issue, but there has been silence on the issues which many report having with the 50L;  and lets not talk about the current af issues with the 1d3 ...sometimes when companies don't have answers,  there is a measured response if you get one at all until they have something definitive to say- not unusual, but not helpful.
i don't think anyone is comparing the zd camera to canon or nikon in terms of performance or capability: i know that i certainly was not.  As a mf digital shooter as well as a canon shooter, i am well aware of the pluses and minuses of both systems.  the fact is that the ZD camera is a "non upgradable" camera---same as any of the dslr's currently out there.  Many people have spent $8 grand on a non upgradable Dslr--for some a little extra $ for a sensor twice the size may be attractive.  this is someting that each buyer has to evaluate for him or herself.  While i happen to agree with your preference for the back set up over the integrated camera, some may prefer a more streamline solution.  
you ask for reviews- and two or three of us cited some recent activity:  i can't change the fact that the primary interest that the majority of publications have with respect to the camera market is with dslr's and in particular the rivalry that pits canon and nikon against one another.  the reviewers-(publications ) know where their ad revenue is coming from and they know what the majority of the public that buys/reads their publications want to know about. Unfortunately mf is not on the radar screen of many and represents a significantly smaller slice of the market.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:30:23 pm by canmiya »

Snook

New Mamiya website
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 08:44:41 pm »

Hey How are you..:+}
Well I do not want to get in an argument, But You have posted reviews that are pretty old and the 2 or 3 examples here are of trees or Some sky line. That is it.
Not much portrait or fashion. Are just Landscapers using it at the moment?
Well the fact is that there is VERY little if any information about it.
Also I never said they came in one time and if I did I restated that a couple of times meaning maybe twice at most they were in at B&H.
certainly there is not much about on the net about the ZD really.
So that makes many wonder what is going on.
Like I said I probably will being going with a Leaf aptus 22 so it really does not matter for me. It was just curiosity really and maybe hoping it would be better.
Thanks for the information.
Snook

paulhu

New Mamiya website
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:01:52 pm »

I have a great relationship with them (NY) and buy over 5K a month from them....[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's hell of a budget.  5K x 12 = $60,000 a year on purchases.  With purchase like that, B&H should let you in on everything....including partial ownership.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:02:23 pm by paulhu »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up