Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Harman Gloss FB Al and Iford Galerie Gold Fibr  (Read 18666 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
The Harman Gloss FB Al and Iford Galerie Gold Fibr
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:47:12 am »

We live in a time of plenty amidst a confusing array of similar products, nowhere more so than in this rapidly expanding world of digital photography. Thirty years ago, I had three or four paper choices at most for quality darkroom printing. Now it would seem there are dozens of options for their digital equivalent, and who has the time (or income) to assess them all? Ally to this the continual development and refinement of inks and delivery systems by the printer manufactures, and today’s wisdom can become an irrelevant footnote to history within months, not years, such is the pace of change. Baryta, for now, is the buzz-word on the Internet, or more specifically baryta-coated inkjet printing papers.

So in September 2007 we have two new glossy inkjet papers with this base coating from Harman and (Swiss) Ilford, with a third on the way from Hahnemuhle. It would seem that Harman’s competitors were not content to let the Cheshire-based firm have it all their own way with baryta, and battle is joined over market share for high-end glossy inkjet media. I now have samples of the Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk and have been testing them for a week, so perhaps this is an appropriate time for a direct comparison with the Harman Gloss FB Al, which arrived a little earlier in Cornwall. All my tests were made from B/W scanned film on an Epson R2400 using the standard K3 inkset, PK cartridge and Epson’s Advanced B/W Mode. If you have any of the Epson printers with the K3 inks (3800, 4800 etc) you should get similar results. I shall leave it to others to comment on the papers’ performance with different inksets, and with colour images and ICC profiles.

Unfortunately, ever since Ilford was re-structured in 2005, there has been confusion in many photographer’s minds over the Ilford brand. While Swiss Ilford (which was once part of Ciba-Geigy, hence “Cibachrome” for those of you who remember it) and Ilford UK (now Harman Technology) both use the Ilford brand-name, they no longer have anything commercially to do with each other. Swiss Ilford own and can use the Ilford name as they wish, but it seems that Harman may only use the Ilford name for their existing range of B/W film, chemistry, and silver-gelatine papers. Any new products from Harman, like their inkjet papers, do not use the Ilford name. Confused? Well, yes, so is everybody else, particularly when both companies release a baryta-coated glossy inkjet paper at the same moment in time. However, the products, like the firms themselves, are most definitely not the same. The first point we may note, examining the packaging, is that while Harman manufacture the Gloss FB in the UK, the Ilford paper is “designed by Ilford” but manufactured in Germany, unlike the majority of their papers which are made in Switzerland. Out of the box, the two papers are plainly quite different.

Whereas the Harman is definitely glossy, with the highest surface gloss of any of the recent fibre-based inkjet papers, the Galerie Gold has a very soft, smooth sheen, not a gloss. The closest match I could find for it is Hahnemule Fine Art Pearl. The Ilford paper also has a similar surface feel to the established papers like FAP and Crane Museo Silver Rag, with a slightly rubbery texture. The Harman Gloss has a unique crisp surface, perhaps due to the alumina coating, and is much more akin to a silver-gelatine paper in all respects. Both papers have a similar weight, at 320 gsm for the Harman and 310 gsm for the Ilford, although for some strange reason the Ilford feels thicker in the hand, even though by measurement it is not. The Galerie Gold is also distinctly warmer in base tint than the Harman Gloss, which is quite a bright white (although Harman will be planning to release a warm-tone version of their paper in future). Thus, for any given setting in the Epson ABW mode, the Ilford will return a slightly warmer result. A subtle difference is that the Galerie Gold also has a back coating to the paper base, whereas the Harman does not, and thus feels rather more “organic”. Now here’s a curiosity - both papers have a distinct curl to them (although by no means enough to cause paper feed problems on the R2400), but whereas the Harman paper curls towards the “emulsion” side, the Ilford paper curls away from it.

Many observers have already commented on the print quality of Harman Gloss FB. Richard Lohmann’s assessment here on the Luminous Landscape is extremely thorough, and I would broadly concur with his findings. On the Epson R2400 the Harman Gloss produces perfect results using the ABW Mode and the Premium Glossy paper settings, with no further profiling required. You might improve things slightly by playing with a RIP I suppose, but frankly I would rather just get on and print my pictures. The Harman Gloss is the sort of paper where you spend the evening reprinting your favourite negatives just for the pleasure of seeing them again, looking better than you have ever seen them before. This paper has the remarkable ability to separate the most delicate tonal subtleties not just in the shadow areas, but in the mid-tones and highlights too, giving the prints a sparkle and punch I had never previously seen from an inkjet printer.

The Harman Gloss FB certainly was a hard act to follow. Faced with such a performance, the Ilford Galerie Gold turned out to be a pleasant paper in many respects, and a praiseworthy entry into a very competitive marketplace, but despite the common use of baryta as a substrate the two papers produce very different results. Given the same negative, the Galerie Gold has slightly less ability to separate shadow detail. It is only a very small difference, but it is none the less there. I have no sophisticated measuring equipment, but my eyes tell me that the blacks are deeper on the Harman and that the Ilford has a somewhat lower D-max. Perhaps as a consequence of both these factors, the Harman Gloss has more “lift” and a three-dimensional, luminous quality to the print which the Ilford paper does not quite achieve. These are all very subtle distinctions, but the one factor which is not at all subtle is the look and feel of the finished print as an organic whole. In a similar fashion to Hahnemuhle FAP and Crane MSR, the Ilford Galerie Gold produces an ink surface which is much glossier than the paper base itself, unprinted. Like them, it also has a distracting surface texture to this reflection, which catches the eye. There are two consequences. The first is that if you like to print with wide borders, as I do, the printed portion appears to be applied on top of the paper and to be separated from the unprinted border, as the gloss levels are so different. The Harman paper technologists, on the other hand, have very cleverly engineered a paper surface which (when printed with the K3 pigment inks) has an almost even gloss over printed and unprinted areas alike. As a result, prints with borders have a greater sense of unity about them, and there is no distraction caused by uneven reflection.

The second consequence is that the Ilford paper displays, naturally enough, a greater degree of gloss differential within the printed area than does the Harman. Both papers do exhibit the effect, but whereas the Galerie Gold (like many other semi-gloss papers) uses surface texture to disguise the problem, the Harman relies on its natural high surface gloss to minimise it with somewhat greater assurance. These paper qualities (gloss differential, surface texture and apparent gloss) have been debated ad nauseam here and elsewhere, but for me and many others they remain a crucial weakness of pigment ink printing compared to its darkroom counterpart. Ansel Adams discussed the very same issues nearly thirty years ago, but with reference to the reproduction of his photographs in books (Adams, A, 1980, The Print, p187). The Harman Gloss, partnered with the K3 inks, is a real break-through in this respect.

In other respects the score-board is very even. Both papers feed reliably through the R2400, either through the manual rear feed or in fact through the front sheet feeder (although I only ever loaded one sheet at a time). The back of both papers accepts pencil annotation. Such has been the progress with pigment-ink printing over the past five years, that with the K3 inkset bronzing is pretty much a non-issue on both, and likewise there is just a hint of metamerism between tungsten and daylight illumination but nothing to arouse concern.

To summarise, then – the Ilford Galerie Gold, whilst also distinguished by its use of Baryta, is by no means a new departure for glossy fibre-base inkjet printing. The end result is much like the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl or the Crane Museo Silver Rag, and if you like those papers you will probably enjoy the Ilford’s somewhat glossier and sharper (but similar) result too. The Harman Gloss FB Al is on the other hand a cat that walks alone, and until now the only thing remotely like it has been the Innova Ultra Smooth Gloss, which I have used extensively in recent months. The Harman Gloss has a radically different character to all preceding glossy fibre inkjet papers, and is the closest approach yet to printing on a traditional double-weight darkroom silver paper. It would be churlish, of course, to complain about greater choice. Both the Harman and the Ilford offerings have their own qualities, are available in five-sheet trial packs, and I recommend that you assess them for yourself.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Fernando Marrero

• www.fernandomarrero.com
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:23:57 am »

Thanks very much for your review. Very interesting.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:44:18 am »

Thank you for the review---nice comparison.

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »

I can't say I'm thrilled to hear the Harman is yet even glossier than the other options. For those looking for something more like the air dried fiber papers, I'd suggest they look at the Innova F type semi matte. I've heard few comments about it here.

To me, none of these papers seem quite right yet. But the rapidly increasing product options show promise for the future.
Tyler

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 05:01:31 pm »

The Harman paper is indeed glossier than 'classic' air-dried fiber papers like Brovira; but in all other respects it seems to beat the 'first generation' of gelatin-silver imitations.

Kirk

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:06:21 am »

On the subject of gloss - the Harman paper is very slightly more glossy than some of my 25 year old darkroom prints on Ilford Galerie graded papers, which were air-dried. But it is only a very small difference. The amount of gloss which one prefers is of course a very subjective matter.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 10:15:42 am »

I now have some sample packs of the Harman, which I'm looking forward eagerly to trying. Ilford Galerie was my darkroom paper of choice for many years.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:05:03 pm »

John R.:

That is one excellent review, by any standard. Thanks a lot.

After reading your review, I definetely going to order a 24X50? roll of this paper this evening.

Wish me luck.

Eduardo

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »

To add to confusion about Ilford & Harman:

I have read somewhere that Harman was formed by Ex-Ilford managers, and they own the factory in UK that produced the popular Ilford B&W Paper (And own the rights to hold the license/name for that product).

The general license to use Ilford for anything else - was sold to a Japanese company who own the Swiss factory - that makes the Ilford Galerie paper. So, technically speaking - this is a Japanese paper - and has nothing to do with Ilford technology or process - except for the name.

That said, Ilford Galerie is equally good, but not the same as Harman's Fb Al - which is totally fabulous!

Just my 2 cents!
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 10:33:21 am »

I have been using the matte baryta Harman paper. It has a very very nice texture, yields incredibly sharp prints, but the gamut is pretty small.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 11:40:09 am »

I tried the Harman baryta paper a couple of months ago, and I like it a lot.  I keep a binder with about two dozen papers that I have tested, all using the same collage of test images.  Every time a try a new paper, I take them out and lay them out on my table to view sid-by side.  I put them under glass, handle them, whatever.  

Typically, I have my wife look at them.  She always looks at them and says "they all look the same to me."  After testing the Harman paper, I handed her about six or seven papers that I thought were good, along with the Harman paper.  She reluctantly indulged me by leafing through the pile.  After a moment of looking back and forth through the pile, she picked the Harman paper from the bunch.  She thought the difference was dramatic.  Harman Gloss FB AL was sharper with better blacks and higher contrast.

How's that for scientific testing!!
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

GregW

• http://
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:12:09 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to publish your findings.  Both products look very interesting and I will be taking your advice and testing both on my 3800.

GregW

• http://
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:57 pm »

The general license to use Ilford for anything else - was sold to a Japanese company who own the Swiss factory - that makes the Ilford Galerie paper. So, technically speaking - this is a Japanese paper - and has nothing to do with Ilford technology or process - except for the name.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165651\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's not 100% correct.  The paper was designed and developed in Switzerland and is produced in Germany, the only thing making it Japanese is the ultimate ownership of the company.

This is quite common in the photographic industry.  For exampe.  Gitzo products are generally thought of as French designed and produced in France/Italy.  The fact that the ultimate holding is actually British is not really important.  It's the same for Manfrotto.  The products are designed and produced in Italy (For the most part) but are in fact owned by the same company as Gitzo.  Kata the Israeli bag manufacturer is also owned by the same company.

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »

I came to the same conclusions using a Canon iPF5100 printer.  To my eyes, the more obvious gloss differential was a deal-breaker for the Ilford paper.  

I'm surprised this didn't figure in Michael's review & thought it might have to do with my not using the optimal media setting & profile.  But according to your report, it's a problem with the paper itself.  

If I have to use a glossy paper for an appropriate purpose, I'll be using Harman.  But the surface doesn't look like a fine-art paper to me; rather, something between a fiber surface & RC.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:23:24 pm by thompsonkirk »

singeroi

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:55:46 am »

thanks a lot thompsonkirk.. i did notice it too
simulation assurance vie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:56:10 am by singeroi »

hilljf

• http://photos.johnfhill.com
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 04:46:45 am »

Thanks for the review.    I have used both of these papers extensively and you did not mention one factor which I think is significant.    The surface of the Harman papar is exceptionally delicate and prone to easy damage and visible scratches.    The Ilford surface is much more durable.      When I print, I wear gloves and am very careful, but have often been frustrated by the ease with which the Harman paper can collect and show damage.  

When we talk about the life potential of prints we tend to focus on the characteristics of the inks and the time to fading or color shifts,   If the print surface doesn't hold up well, then who cares about the other factors.

thanks, John

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 07:52:29 am »

Quote from: hilljf
Thanks for the review.    I have used both of these papers extensively and you did not mention one factor which I think is significant.    The surface of the Harman papar is exceptionally delicate and prone to easy damage and visible scratches.    The Ilford surface is much more durable.      When I print, I wear gloves and am very careful, but have often been frustrated by the ease with which the Harman paper can collect and show damage.  

When we talk about the life potential of prints we tend to focus on the characteristics of the inks and the time to fading or color shifts,   If the print surface doesn't hold up well, then who cares about the other factors.

thanks, John

John, I've had the same problems. I eventually gave up on the Harman because of the issues you mention and the fact that I had to dry mount the larger sizes. I don't have those problems with the GFS, but I do miss what I perceive to be a deeper dmax with the Harman. I am still printing 8 1/2 x 11 with the Harman as I can get away without having to dry mount it. One thing I've done to hold down the scratches is to put a finished print in a box and leave it for two or three days before attempting to mat it. The ink seems to toughen up on the paper over time.

jjlphoto

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:32:41 am »

Thanks for the review. I was initially using Innova F-Type Brilliant White Gloss FibaPrint using the ICC profile/No Color Adjust method, then recently went with Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper using the ABW mode and Eric Chan's profiles & workflow. I was impressed. I immediately noticed the dimensionality that the ABW mode adds. I guess I'll have to try some Harman now!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:33:06 am by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up