Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One/ Mamiya  (Read 4857 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One/ Mamiya
« on: September 22, 2007, 04:03:12 am »

Hi
With the way MFD is going & Phase needs a body to attach to are these two companies talking? I know you can use the H2 but Hasselblad is really focusing on the H3D II and onwards. The Hy6 is for Sinar & Leaf. If Phase got behind the ZD camera they could do some needed improvements for the next model. Plus they could improve on the existing bodies AFD & RZ....... Any thoughts.... I have asked this question a year ago?
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Mike W

Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:13:15 am »

It's difficult to say:

A year or so ago, when F&H showed the Hy6 for the first time, Micheal made a comment in a video report (of photokina, I think) stating that the Hy6 would accept a Phase back, or even that Phase would market an Hy6 under its brand-name. I'm not sure anymore, so Micheal, if I am missquoting you, my apologies in advance.

There's a tread going on about phase's plans with the Hy6 camp. Mamiya seems to be Phase's only platform at the moment (well, except for H2 and large format camera's operators). Not a good place to be. I'm sure they're working on something.

hope it helps.

Mike
Hi
With the way MFD is going & Phase needs a body to attach to are these two companies talking? I know you can use the H2 but Hasselblad is really focusing on the H3D II and onwards. The Hy6 is for Sinar & Leaf. If Phase got behind the ZD camera they could do some needed improvements for the next model. Plus they could improve on the existing bodies AFD & RZ....... Any thoughts.... I have asked this question a year ago?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

canmiya

• beyond stills
Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 07:18:09 am »

Hi
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes!

Graham Mitchell

Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:27:00 am »

Mamiya seems to be Phase's only platform at the moment (well, except for H2 and large format camera's operators).

And even Mamiya is competing with Phase for the Mamiya 645 platform. This doesn't look good for Phase.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 03:27:04 pm »

Having purchased a 28mm two months ago and finding that there were compatibility issues betweent the lens and back that made shooting in manual  mode (exposure wise) almost impossible I would surmise that there isn't adequate communication betweent the two companies.    Once Mamiya was able to replicate the problem it took approximately one month to get a firmware fix for it (which was accomplished overnight).  I certainly hope that both companies see the value of working together, I personally don't want to have to change something that has worked so well for me.  By the way, I'll post more examples of shots accomplished with the 28mm in a week or so.  It's a tremendous lens.  Jim

jonstewart

Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 03:44:48 pm »

... I personally don't want to have to change something that has worked so well for me.  By the way, I'll post more examples of shots accomplished with the 28mm in a week or so.  It's a tremendous lens.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd be really interested to hear your review of that 28 lens. Trying to justify purchasing it, to myself, before I start to look for the money. Also enjoy seeing some examples, especially to see the distortion (I'm assuming there must be some, so wide), and how much you have to do to remove same.

Thanks in advance.
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 08:06:01 pm »

Hi
I have seen results with the 28mm & a P45+ at L&P photo. They look amazing & they commented on how sharp edge to edge this lens is. I asked about software correction & they said it doesn't need it. I was just speaking in WA ( Perth area) & a fellow speaker owns the Mamiya/28/P45+ & said it is an excellent lens. He does beautiful landscapes!!!!!!! In Australia the Mamiya 28 is worth about 1500.00 more than the Hasselblad 28 mm. The P45+ would show up problems.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

That's correct, there is no barrel distortion to resolve.  The lens is far superior to the 35mm.  The only distortion is what would naturally happen when using a wide lens, ie, forced perspective etc.  I shoot automobiles and architecture and use the lens with both subjects especially when shooting interiors (both cars and structures).  Previously I would use the 24mm fisheye and correct the distortion with Image Align (which is going away), the resulting images were adequate but not spectacular (quality wise).  The 28 is spectacularly sharp, well, maybe a touch softer on the edges but not much at all.  Tomorrow I'll post some recent images.

jpjespersen

Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 10:46:25 pm »

I would love to see some images with the 28mm and P45+ combo.  I am trying to decide if I should buy the Mamiya system for my p45+ or wait for the Rolleiflex Hy6 system to be available.

http://www.ImagesOfNight.com
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:55:00 pm by jpjespersen »

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 10:21:17 am »

Having purchased a 28mm two months ago and finding that there were compatibility issues betweent the lens and back that made shooting in manual  mode (exposure wise) almost impossible I would surmise that there isn't adequate communication betweent the two companies.    Once Mamiya was able to replicate the problem it took approximately one month to get a firmware fix for it (which was accomplished overnight).  I certainly hope that both companies see the value of working together, I personally don't want to have to change something that has worked so well for me.  By the way, I'll post more examples of shots accomplished with the 28mm in a week or so.  It's a tremendous lens.  Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have just taken delivery of the 28mm lens and a fine piece of kit it is too.  So it should be for the money!!  But I have a problem also with this lens and the P45+ back.  I haven't been back to the dealer in London yet which I must.  But it just locks up.  I would like to know what the problem was with yours.

Steve

jonstewart

Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 11:27:49 am »

Thanks MC & Haefner...great to hear good (remarkable) things about that lens. I'll look forward to seeing the examples!
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 12:42:50 pm »

It's been said before, but Phase One needs the Contax 645 and Zeiss.

Phase One's board must be kicking themselves now for not approving the deal with Kyocera a year or 2 ago.   With the Contax 645 platform and Zeiss producing some new lenses, Phase One would have had the system to beat.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Pentax as a possibilities.  Pentax/Hoya has recently said that development of their 645 digital has been put on the back burner.  Certainly, P1 could take what Pentax has already an add an integral P1 back to it.  I'm sure t he mechanical and optical part of what Pentax has done to date is just fine -- it just probably needs what Phase can provide.  While it might not be as ideal as the Contax solution, a Phase 1/Pentax arrangement could make sense.

digitalguy

Phase One/ Mamiya
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 04:55:16 pm »

It's been said before, but Phase One needs the Contax 645 and Zeiss.

Phase One's board must be kicking themselves now for not approving the deal with Kyocera a year or 2 ago.   With the Contax 645 platform and Zeiss producing some new lenses, Phase One would have had the system to beat.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Pentax as a possibilities.  Pentax/Hoya has recently said that development of their 645 digital has been put on the back burner.  Certainly, P1 could take what Pentax has already an add an integral P1 back to it.  I'm sure t he mechanical and optical part of what Pentax has done to date is just fine -- it just probably needs what Phase can provide.  While it might not be as ideal as the Contax solution, a Phase 1/Pentax arrangement could make sense.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what ever happened with the photokina announcement in which phase one made which stated they were developing special features in capture one to better integrate the p+ and the 645afdII along with a few other things?

the zd back was released with lightroom since and from what i am hearing here the 28mm does not really need software to use it with the p+

does his mean that there is no cooperation and phase is without a mf body manufacturer?

dg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up