Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boulder Mountain, Utah  (Read 9257 times)

hubell

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:26:57 pm »

I will be on and around Boulder Mountain in So. Utah in late Sept. for 4-5 days. I would appreciate suggestions as to shooting locations from anyone who is quite familiar with the specific area. There are a number of overlooks with views of distant vistas, but I am curious if there are side roads off Rt. 12 that would be interesting to explore(other than the Burr Trail Rd) that would transport you into  closer contact with the stands of aspens in the area.
Thanks.

Camboman

• http://www.pbase.com/camboman
Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:43:36 pm »

There are many side roads off Hwy 12, both before and after it passes right through a forest of aspens. I've followed a few of these back a ways, some of them quickly turn into 4wd trails. These are around the 8-10,000 foot level, so very cold at night and early morning.
   I was able to find a map that shows many of these tracks and hiking trails ...
Boulder Mtn. Map
   This is bear country, be alert.

hubell

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 01:30:09 pm »

There are many side roads off Hwy 12, both before and after it passes right through a forest of aspens. I've followed a few of these back a ways, some of them quickly turn into 4wd trails. These are around the 8-10,000 foot level, so very cold at night and early morning.
   I was able to find a map that shows many of these tracks and hiking trails ...
Boulder Mtn. Map
   This is bear country, be alert.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, the map shows  several interesting 4x4 routes up onto Boulder Mountain andacross toward the Waterpocket Fold. I will try to get a more detailed map with GPS coordinates.

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:05:21 pm »

I've been over Boulder Mtn several times and here are a couple of ideas:

Hell's Backbone Rd: Easy for most cars, takes you thru some beautiful back country. This starts in either Escalante or on the North end of the "Hog's Back". Check with the BLM in Escalante about road conditions.

There appear to be many roads that lead back toward different lakes. Some of them may only be suitable for ATVs. We have friends in Escalante that tell me even my HC Jeep is not suitable for some of the roads on Boulder Mtn.

I'm not sure about coming off Boulder Mtn to the Water Pocket Fold, there is one road that's caught my interest but I've not done it, yet.

The Aspens should be great up on Boulder Mtn, we were there the last week of Sept last year.

Have fun,
Win
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 07:18:13 pm by Win »

hubell

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:25:45 am »

I've been over Boulder Mtn several times and here are a couple of ideas:

Hell's Backbone Rd: Easy for most cars, takes you thru some beautiful back country. This starts in either Escalante or on the North end of the "Hog's Back". Check with the BLM in Escalante about road conditions.

There appear to be many roads that lead back toward different lakes. Some of them may only be suitable for ATVs. We have friends in Escalante that tell me even my HC Jeep is not suitable for some of the roads on Boulder Mtn.

I'm not sure about coming off Boulder Mtn to the Water Pocket Fold, there is one road that's caught my interest but I've not done it, yet.

The Aspens should be great up on Boulder Mtn, we were there the last week of Sept last year.

Have fun,
Win
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139846\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Hell's Backbone Road is on my itinerary. I understand that Southern Utah(maybe all of Utah) has had drought conditions this year, and I wonder what the effects will be on the fall foliage. In the East, it is not uncommon for the foliage to be very adversely impacted by marginal rainfall through the Summer months.

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 11:20:02 am »

Pretty much all of Utah has been in drought conditions. I'm told it's a combination of moisture and temperature that sets the trees off. It looks like the Boulder area will be cold and damp this weekend, the trees will definetly start to turn.

The trees in Northern Utah have already started from pictures I've seen. I'll probably be up at Cedar Breaks this weekend to see if they've started. That's at 10,000 feet.

Win
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:20:46 am by Win »

Greg Barnett

• http://
Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:12:05 am »

The aspens were in peak color this past weekend on Boulder mountain but then it snowed pretty hard. Not sure how many leaves will be still on the trees at this point. The light was amazing, beams of sun poking through the dark snow clouds.

hubell

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 03:54:58 pm »

The aspens were in peak color this past weekend on Boulder mountain but then it snowed pretty hard. Not sure how many leaves will be still on the trees at this point. The light was amazing, beams of sun poking through the dark snow clouds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144829\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was on and around Boulder Mtn. from Sept. 25 to Sept. 28, keeping the hordes of deer hunters company. The aspens were turning nicely at the highest elevations(9-10,000 ft.) that I was able to access through several backcountry Forest Service roads and Hell's Backbone Rd., but the lower elevations were still early. The best color I found was actually in Fish Lake about 30 miles NW of Torrey. Quite spectacular. I came back through Boulder Mt. on Oct. 3 on my way to Bryce and the color at the lower elevations over Boulder Mtn. had improved dramatically.

gehle

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:22:18 am »

hey hucbell, where you the guy I ran into at the "temples" in cathedral valley? If so, how was the coffee at McDonalds?  

Ken Gehle

hubell

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 10:16:16 am »

hey hucbell, where you the guy I ran into at the "temples" in cathedral valley? If so, how was the coffee at McDonalds?  

Ken Gehle
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I only saw two human beings in 6 hours on the Cathedral Valley Loop on Sept. 29. Are you the photographer from Atlanta?

BTW, the McDonalds at the Temple of the Moon was, unfortunately, closed for renovations.

gehle

Boulder Mountain, Utah
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 09:21:43 pm »

I only saw two human beings in 6 hours on the Cathedral Valley Loop on Sept. 29. Are you the photographer from Atlanta?

BTW, the McDonalds at the Temple of the Moon was, unfortunately, closed for renovations.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am. What a trip I had. I got snowed on later in the day and it was very, very cold up in the mountains above the valley. Temp got better as I moved on to Staircase and then Arches/Canyonland. Last night at Canyonland was pretty rough, as that huge system started coming in that dumped all that snow - winds were like a hurricane. Who would have thunk that?

Anyway, I hit the ground running back in Atlanta with a job in SC - just scouted for two days and will shoot it mon./tues before I am off to NYC for the rest of the week. I have forgotten what my home looks like!!

Great to run into you out there - I was glad I wasn't the only nut case in the valley.

Ken Gehle
Pages: [1]   Go Up