Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo WDS Lenses - Favorites?  (Read 9190 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Cambo WDS Lenses - Favorites?
« on: September 11, 2007, 11:25:21 am »

I've decided to purchase a Cambo WDS for my landscape work.  Will be mated to the Phase One P-45Plus back.

I'm initially thinking of the 35mm Schneider lens as I've heard very positive comments on that lens and it fits the range I typically shoot in with my current camera, the Hasselblad 503cw with the 40mm CFE IF lens.

I also shoot the Hassie 100 CFI lens on occasion and very rarely my 150 CFI.
Saturation, resolution and contrast are of course major factors in defining the ideal lens.  Aperature is not an issue as I'm always mounting my camera on a tripod.

I would initially like to start with two lenses and try to make this my primary camera for all of my landscape work.

Would appreciate guidance from others shooting the Cambo as to what are their favorite lenses and why?

Jack

pixjohn

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 12:02:49 pm »

Its not about having a favorite lens, Its more about having the right lens for the job. I use 24xl 35xl, 47 and 58xl on a cambo Wide DS. If I was only purchasing  1 lens, I would start with the 24xl and just crop if you need a tighter lens.

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 12:39:45 pm »

I use the Cambo WDS and a 24 and 35 with a P45+.  It is a very quick and efficient combination for commercial work.

They are both very good lenses.  I got the 35mm first and you can shift and stitch if you need anything wider.  Just make sure you get centre filters.  There is no shift with the 24mm.

Just ordered the 47.  

Steve

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:33 pm »

I use the Cambo WDS and a 24 and 35 with a P45+.  It is a very quick and efficient combination for commercial work.

They are both very good lenses.  I got the 35mm first and you can shift and stitch if you need anything wider.  Just make sure you get centre filters.  There is no shift with the 24mm.

Just ordered the 47. 
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How much shift are you able to get with the 35? +-6?

pixjohn

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:19:21 pm »

You can shift the 24xl +2mm, If I need more I just retouch the cutoff in the corner. Sine I shoot with a leaf back I use the  gain utility that corrects lens fall off. I do own the center filter for the 24xl but never use it.

Mark_Tuttle

• http://
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 02:00:39 pm »

I'm using the Cambo WDS/ P45 with the Schneider Digitar 35mm and a Rodenstock 55mm Apo Digital.  Both are very sharp.  Since you state your are going to photograph landscapes I am assuming that you are going to be printing large and want to keep a high ppi file for detail.

I do have the Schneider center filter for the 35mm and find that with edge-to-edge continuous tone (say cloudless sky) it tends to 'reverse vignette' at apertures above f8.  It is a 'love-hate' relationship.  I purchased it because there are times you only get one exposure, but it gobbles several stops of light and so has its limits.  Other times I use Robin Myers' EquaLight 2 software (http://rmimaging.com/) to counteract vignetting when I can take a second exposure using the white LLC plex in your Phase One kit, which gives me a consistent tone even at wide open with the 35mm.

The Rodenstock 55mm is terrific if you want to stitch because it has a large image circle and doesn't have a wide angle distortion.  But you are going to have BIG files in 16 bit. And using a 55mm and a P45 will give you an ability to crop a single shot and still have a file size larger than a 21MP camera.

I would be hesitant to use a longer lense without working tethered because I just don't trust the focus scales (definitely not the DOF scale) on the Cambo mounts for digital focal lengths normal and longer.  Just my experience, but like everything else once you get past the idiosyncrasies you get stunning files.

Mark

I've decided to purchase a Cambo WDS for my landscape work.  Will be mated to the Phase One P-45Plus back.

I'm initially thinking of the 35mm Schneider lens as I've heard very positive comments on that lens and it fits the range I typically shoot in with my current camera, the Hasselblad 503cw with the 40mm CFE IF lens.

I also shoot the Hassie 100 CFI lens on occasion and very rarely my 150 CFI.
Saturation, resolution and contrast are of course major factors in defining the ideal lens.  Aperature is not an issue as I'm always mounting my camera on a tripod.

I would initially like to start with two lenses and try to make this my primary camera for all of my landscape work.

Would appreciate guidance from others shooting the Cambo as to what are their favorite lenses and why?

Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138634\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

Jeffreytotaro

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:51:32 pm »

You can get about +/- 15mm shift on the 35.  You will need the pattern noise suppression tool n C1, it's just a check box under the focus tool in the noise section.  It cleans up any weird patterns.

I use the 24xl, 35xl, 47, 58xl, 72xl and 90 6.8 (the last 3 are film lenses)
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

mmurph

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:06:01 pm »

I would be hesitant to use a longer lense without working tethered because I just don't trust the focus scales (definitely not the DOF scale) on the Cambo mounts for digital focal lengths normal and longer.

I bought a $100 laser distance measuring device for closer focusing with my 90mm (still using film.)  You can test the measurements on the helical using a capture to verify. Mine are accurate, and the distance device works pretty well up to about 22 meters or so. That is enough, after that you are at infinity.

Does Phase have a current deal on the Cambo DS when you buy a Phase back? It was $3,500 with a Rodenstock or $4,500 with a Schneider, both 35mm I believe?  Expired, I thought they might bring it back.

Thanks!
Michael

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:39:55 pm »

You can shift the 24xl +2mm, If I need more I just retouch the cutoff in the corner. Sine I shoot with a leaf back I use the  gain utility that corrects lens fall off. I do own the center filter for the 24xl but never use it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have never quite understood this argument.  If the subject has a very high dynamic range, capturing the image without the use of a centre filter surely leads to underexposed periphery or at least an area subject to increased noise when corrected.  Furthermore  the situation must be exacerbated with the 35mm lens without a CF when stitching two images shift to the extreme.  I use a P45 so I don't have the benefit of this Gain Utility but nevertheless, I would have thought the same still applies.

Steve

pixjohn

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:40:25 pm »

This image was shot with the 24xl using the Gain utility. I am very surprised Leaf does not use the Gain Adjuster as a marketing tool. Its an amazing tool to have. I shoot tethered and have a finished shot, unlike having to fix the image in post with a phase back. I have had a few issue with the 24xl but i am hoping Leaf will have a fix soon. Sorry about all the © but a Chinese web pages keeps stealing my images from LL

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:43:13 pm by pixjohn »

jpjespersen

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 06:37:47 pm »

This image was shot with the 24xl using the Gain utility. I am very surprised Leaf does not use the Gain Adjuster as a marketing tool. Its an amazing tool to have. I shoot tethered and have a finished shot, unlike having to fix the image in post with a phase back. I have had a few issue with the 24xl but i am hoping Leaf will have a fix soon. Sorry about all the © but a Chinese web pages keeps stealing my images from LL

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is sort of off the subject, but may I ask how you discovered that a chinese website was stealing your images.  I have a lot of work out there and would love to know if anyone is using it, but don't know how to go about it.

Thanks,
JP Jespersen
[a href=\"http://www.ImagesOfNight.com]http://www.ImagesOfNight.com[/url]

pixjohn

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 06:44:36 pm »

I found hits in my web log. it has also been discussed before on IAAPwhere other photographers have had the same problem.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 06:44:49 am »

Its not about having a favorite lens, Its more about having the right lens for the job. I use 24xl 35xl, 47 and 58xl on a cambo Wide DS. If I was only purchasing  1 lens, I would start with the 24xl and just crop if you need a tighter lens.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To clarify, I'm after ideally just two lens that offer the best of our essentail qualities - resolution, saturation, DOF, lack of distortion, etc. - that are critical for an outstanding landscape image.  This for my work will be one wide angle and one at the other end of what Cambo offers - I've never used a "normal" lens so that family of focal lenghts, 47 and 55, can be ignored.  

Always having the "right lens for the job" is very physically exhausting when toteing a backpack all day long up and down major elevation changes on mountain trails, though foreign lands, etc..  

I seek ideally just two lenses that are close to the "right lens for the job", remotely a 3rd if essential.  Cropping in CS3 with a 39MP backs resolution is the "third lens" and beats adding an extra 10 pounds to my backpack if possible.

I also understand from Cambo that they will mount most any lens that you require.  Has anyone done this with a lens longer than 90 - say 120 to 150 - and if so, where you pleased with the results and your choice?  (Ideally someone doing landscape work.)

As we all know, not all lenses are created equal even if from the same manufacturer and within the same focal lenght range.  

Thus my main question:  Of the flavors offered by Cambo, is the 90 a "better lens" than the 72, or vice/versa.  Is the 24, 28, 35 a "better lens, etc.

There are always a couple of "gems" in any lens series that go beyond the rest of the pack, and that's what I'm seeking advice on.

Jack
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 06:50:42 am by Lust4Life »

Mort54

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:32 pm »

I seek ideally just two lenses that are close to the "right lens for the job", remotely a 3rd if essential.  Cropping in CS3 with a 39MP backs resolution is the "third lens" and beats adding an extra 10 pounds to my backpack if possible.
Hi Jack. I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm curious whether you've compared the Cambo system with an Alpa system - in particular the 12TC? Like you, I've been eyeing a technical view camera as a small, lightweight system to carry on hikes. Also, I like the idea of putting the best possible glass in front of my P45+. The Alpa 12TC appeals to me because it's so much smaller and lighter than the Cambo. And its lens selection is much broader. It has most of the Schneider and Rodenstock digitals, from 24mm out to 210mm. I suspect the Alpa pricing is higher than the Cambo (both body and lenses), but I haven't really compared pricing. Also, the 12TC doesn't support shifting, but for landscapes, I don't really see that as needed (tilt would definitely be nice, but I don't want to carry around a heavy view camera system that supports tilt)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:16:56 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 02:24:17 pm »

Hi Jack. I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm curious whether you've compared the Cambo system with an Alpa system - in particular the 12TC? Like you, I've been eyeing a technical view camera as a small, lightweight system to carry on hikes. Also, I like the idea of putting the best possible glass in front of my P45+. The Alpa 12TC appeals to me because it's so much smaller and lighter than the Cambo. And its lens selection is much broader. It has most of the Schneider and Rodenstock digitals, from 24mm out to 210mm. I suspect the Alpa pricing is higher than the Cambo (both body and lenses), but I haven't really compared pricing. Also, the 12TC doesn't support shifting, but for landscapes, I don't really see that as needed (tilt would definitely be nice, but I don't want to carry around a heavy view camera system that supports tilt)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mort,
Thanks for your suggestion.  I have explored the Alpa, particularily the SWA and the XY.  I liked the XY features but it's just too heavy, and at $6,000 for the body alone!  I need say no more.

Frankly, I found Alpa pricing VERY high compared to a identical lens on the Cambo.  I'm sure they are well engineered and constructed, but I can purchase the Cambo with two lenses for dramatically less than a Alpa with only one lens.

Additionally, the Cambo has vertical/horizonal movements that meet my needs.
Here is a thread I started to discuss various body types for digital landscape work:
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19094]Best Camera Body[/url]

Last, I've decided to take the advise of several folks here and not go with a tilt unit/bag bellows mated to my digital back.

Regards,
Jack

pixjohn

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 02:25:48 pm »

I am very happy with my Cambo Wide DS.

Mort54

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 05:45:48 pm »

Frankly, I found Alpa pricing VERY high compared to a identical lens on the Cambo.  I'm sure they are well engineered and constructed, but I can purchase the Cambo with two lenses for dramatically less than a Alpa with only one lens.
Hi Jack. I did a quick comparison of lens pricing between Cambo and Alpa, using Calumet for the Cambo pricing and Badger Graphics for the Alpa pricing, and the Alpa lenses actually cost a bit less (I checked the 72mm and 90mm Digitars and the 24mm Rodenstock HR - Calumet didn't have a big selection on their web site so these were the only lenses I could compare).

I'm not pushing Alpa by any means, and for a body with movements, which you indicated you needed, I'd probably go with the Cambo as well (the Alpa SWA and XY don't appeal to me at all, for all the reasons you listed). The appeal for me tho was the Alpa 12TC, which costs a little over $1500 for the body, weighs a little over 200 grams, and is smaller than 5" x 5" x 1". Perfect for hiking IF you don't need shift movements, which I don't.

Anyway, I've been struggeling with the same decision you've been going thru, so thanks for your feedback on this.

Mark_Tuttle

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:11 pm »

Calumet didn't have a big selection on their web site so these were the only lenses I could compare).[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Calumet has one of the worst sites for trying to find what they have.

You will have to use several different keyword searches, like "Cambo WDS lenses" and "Digitar" and"Rodenstock digital" to find out what they have.

Well, actually, right now they don't seem to have much in stock according to the website.  Always best to call instead.

Cambo does have a WDS Compact that doesn't have the movements or the huge handle if you are looking for something smaller.

The Cambo guy is
Doug Sperling
630-849-0631
doug.sperling@calumetphoto.com

The guy at the Cambo factory is
rene.rook.cambo@wxs.nl
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

Mort54

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 06:24:34 pm »

Cambo does have a WDS Compact that doesn't have the movements or the huge handle if you are looking for something smaller.
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the WDS Compact, and it is the closest to the Alpa 12TC in intent. But it's still a bit bigger and heavier than the 12TC.

My main interest in Calumet was simply to do some comparison pricing in response to Jack's comment about Alpa lens pricing. I had actually never checked Cambo pricing, so I was expecting the Alpa lenses to be more expensive, just as Jack had noted. To my surprise, the Alpa lenses came in cheaper (at least according to Calumet and Badger Graphics).

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 03:00:40 pm »

Hi Jack. I did a quick comparison of lens pricing between Cambo and Alpa, using Calumet for the Cambo pricing and Badger Graphics for the Alpa pricing, and the Alpa lenses actually cost a bit less (I checked the 72mm and 90mm Digitars and the 24mm Rodenstock HR - Calumet didn't have a big selection on their web site so these were the only lenses I could compare).

I'm not pushing Alpa by any means, and for a body with movements, which you indicated you needed, I'd probably go with the Cambo as well (the Alpa SWA and XY don't appeal to me at all, for all the reasons you listed). The appeal for me tho was the Alpa 12TC, which costs a little over $1500 for the body, weighs a little over 200 grams, and is smaller than 5" x 5" x 1". Perfect for hiking IF you don't need shift movements, which I don't.

Anyway, I've been struggeling with the same decision you've been going thru, so thanks for your feedback on this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Greetings,

I'm not finding what you are.  Now please bear in mind that I'm only interested in the Cambo WDS or the Alpa SWA with, let's say a 35mm Schneider lens.  

At Badger, the Alpa body alone is about $3800 and the 35mm Schneider lens is about $3,000 = $6800.

To my understanding, IF a Phase One owner has a good relationship with his dealer it is possible to purchase the same gear for $4,500 or even substantially less.  I'm very fortunate in that I chose a great chap to purchase my Phase back from.

To my calculator, that delta in price between Alpa and Cambo will pay a good portion of my next photo trip.

Also, the movements of the Cambo are greater and the price for additional lenses is generally less - the 90 will be my second lens.

I have heard that the workmanship of the Alpa is outstanding, but having now handled a Cambo, I see no need for more that it offers for my work.

Jack
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up