Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 and Access Privileges  (Read 3724 times)

Gary Ferguson

• http://
CS3 and Access Privileges
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:22:49 pm »

I'm using CS3 with a Mac. I've just imported some old legacy files onto my hard drive that I last worked on some time ago, maybe Photoshop 6 or 7.

When I try and save these files after working on them I get a message saying I don't have access privileges and can't save the file because it's locked, it also says I must use the "Get Info" command in the Finder to unlock the file.

This I dutifully do, but...no difference, I still can't save the changes. Nothing in Photoshop Help either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

francois

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 02:49:06 am »

I'm using CS3 with a Mac. I've just imported some old legacy files onto my hard drive that I last worked on some time ago, maybe Photoshop 6 or 7.

When I try and save these files after working on them I get a message saying I don't have access privileges and can't save the file because it's locked, it also says I must use the "Get Info" command in the Finder to unlock the file.

This I dutifully do, but...no difference, I still can't save the changes. Nothing in Photoshop Help either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137546\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Gary,
When you used "Get Info" from the Finder did you uncheck the Locked checkbox? I guess you did, but you also need to go in the Ownership & Permissions tab. See there if you have the permission to write (Read/Write).
Keep me posted.
Francois

Gary Ferguson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:29:47 am »

Thanks Francois, unfortunately I've done both of those things, the file is unlocked and it's "read and write".

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 04:06:38 am »

Thanks Francois, unfortunately I've done both of those things, the file is unlocked and it's "read and write".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try copying the file ?

Pull it off the (external??) HD then copy it again

or in extremis make a new version by pasting the content of the image onto a new blank canvas

Do you use a network, NAS (raid drive) etc the privs can become ununderstandable to me or at least slow to work through the network

some apps seem to lock files for a while after using them 'file in use' - JAVA applets (uploading software for example)

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

francois

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 06:17:13 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did you try with the terminal?
Open a terminal and type the following command: chmod ugo+rw
Then type a space, then drag your problematic file on the terminal window and presse Return.
This should change the file permisssions.

If if doesn't work, then you may have more serious problems... Trying to copy or duplicating files, as Sam above suggested, might help to troubleshoot your issue. Using copy/paste into a new document should, of course, do the trick.

Let me know if it helped...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:28:48 am by francois »
Francois

Gary Ferguson

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:21:44 pm »

Francois, Sam, Morgan, thank you for your suggestions. I tried the copy and then copy again idea and it seems to work. I very much appreciate your assistance and patience!

francois

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 02:53:41 am »

Francois, Sam, Morgan, thank you for your suggestions. I tried the copy and then copy again idea and it seems to work. I very much appreciate your assistance and patience!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Gary,
If the Copy/Paste method into a new document works for you then you might want to make a Photoshop action. This would ease the process greatly!
Francois

Gary Ferguson

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:14:43 am »

Gary,
If the Copy/Paste method into a new document works for you then you might want to make a Photoshop action. This would ease the process greatly!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What a smart idea!
Pages: [1]   Go Up