Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac printing  (Read 3764 times)

BubbaJon

Mac printing
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:57:27 pm »

Hey folks,
Took the Mac plunge from the Windows world and trying to get my head around the "Mac Way".  So far it's been pretty painless except for the printing.  Hoping someone here can fill me in as Epson et al have been most unhelpful.
I have an Epson R-1800 and I work with a managed color workflow.  One of the convincing points to the Mac was the integrated ColorSync and what I thought would be a much better color integration.
So let me boil it down into two parts: Attached and networked.
Attached I can get the Epson driver to install and after some coaching from Epson I got the printer profiles installed.  However I cannot for the life of me find the printer configuration dialog to turn off ICM and assign the paper type, size and other settings to let Photoshop manage color.  Hopefully this one will be a no-brainer for someone out there.  I can get the ColorSync panel up - it shows two Epson Stylus R1800 printers - one with RGB, CMYK and something else with RGB default (which I assume is what the little blue dot next to that setting means).  The second shows all the profiles and the Factory Default is selected.  Nothing I do will change the little blue dot to another setting.
#2 I might just have to give up on but I find it tough to believe nobody has ironed it out yet.  Initially I wanted to leave the printer on my XP machine and just use it as a shared network printer.  I can see the printer but there is no way to get the Epson driver associated with it - rather it will only use the GIMP drivers which is totally unacceptable.
Help is definitely appreciated after dropping this kind of cash on the Mac to improve my life - not make it harder.
Thanks,
Jon

francois

Mac printing
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:50:55 am »

Hey folks,
Took the Mac plunge from the Windows world and trying to get my head around the "Mac Way".  So far it's been pretty painless except for the printing.  Hoping someone here can fill me in as Epson et al have been most unhelpful.
I have an Epson R-1800 and I work with a managed color workflow.  One of the convincing points to the Mac was the integrated ColorSync and what I thought would be a much better color integration.
So let me boil it down into two parts: Attached and networked.
Attached I can get the Epson driver to install and after some coaching from Epson I got the printer profiles installed.  However I cannot for the life of me find the printer configuration dialog to turn off ICM and assign the paper type, size and other settings to let Photoshop manage color.  Hopefully this one will be a no-brainer for someone out there.  I can get the ColorSync panel up - it shows two Epson Stylus R1800 printers - one with RGB, CMYK and something else with RGB default (which I assume is what the little blue dot next to that setting means).  The second shows all the profiles and the Factory Default is selected.  Nothing I do will change the little blue dot to another setting.
#2 I might just have to give up on but I find it tough to believe nobody has ironed it out yet.  Initially I wanted to leave the printer on my XP machine and just use it as a shared network printer.  I can see the printer but there is no way to get the Epson driver associated with it - rather it will only use the GIMP drivers which is totally unacceptable.
Help is definitely appreciated after dropping this kind of cash on the Mac to improve my life - not make it harder.
Thanks,
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133107\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jon,
Q #1: You don't need to touch ColorSync (using ColorSync Utility) on your Mac unless you are affected the pink/salmon issue (search on the forum). In Photoshop, use "Photosop Manages Colors" and set your printer profile, then, when the OS print dialog is displayed, choose the Color Management tab and choose "No Color Adjustment". You'll also need to select correct the type of media and other printer specific options.
I've also attached a copy of the settings I use in the ColorSync Utility application. If you really want to change the "blue dot", you need to locate "Current Profile" and click on the little triangle and choose a profile. In my example, I'm using Generic RGB to avoid the salmon/pink banding issue.

Q #2: I don't know if it is possible!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:55:55 am by francois »
Francois

feethea

Mac printing
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:32:46 am »

Francois,

I've been having what you describe as the 'pink/salmon' issue since transferring over to Macs 3 weeks ago.
I started a thread on the subject to no avail - I didn't use the 'pink/salmon' description but it describes my problem perfectly.
Can you assist?

BubbaJon

Mac printing
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:44:43 am »

Jon,
Q #1: You don't need to touch ColorSync (using ColorSync Utility) on your Mac unless you are affected the pink/salmon issue (search on the forum). In Photoshop, use "Photosop Manages Colors" and set your printer profile, then, when the OS print dialog is displayed...
Sorry - I should have mentioned I've been working with Photoshop (Windows) since waaaaay back and I've been color managed (Windows again) for years now.  Setting Photoshop to manage color is no mystery to me, nor is setting the printer to allow it.  The problem is that I get no print dialog from the OS - I click the print button in Photoshop (after the aforementioned settings on the Photoshop print dialog) and it just prints with no intermediate steps.  In Windows I click on printer settings and turn ICM off, set paper type and size, turn off fast, etc etc..  When I click print teh printer dialog pops up giving me one last chance in case I had a brain lapse.  So I guess since you assumed it came up then the question is now why doesn't mine?  I downloaded the latest Epson Mac-Intel driver so I'm assuming at this point I should be good to go - but I'm not.  Any ideas?  Anyone else using the newer driver?  (God I would hope so...)
Thanks,
Jon

francois

Mac printing
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:40:31 pm »

Sorry - I should have mentioned I've been working with Photoshop (Windows) since waaaaay back and I've been color managed (Windows again) for years now.  Setting Photoshop to manage color is no mystery to me, nor is setting the printer to allow it.  The problem is that I get no print dialog from the OS - I click the print button in Photoshop (after the aforementioned settings on the Photoshop print dialog) and it just prints with no intermediate steps.  In Windows I click on printer settings and turn ICM off, set paper type and size, turn off fast, etc etc..  When I click print teh printer dialog pops up giving me one last chance in case I had a brain lapse.  So I guess since you assumed it came up then the question is now why doesn't mine?  I downloaded the latest Epson Mac-Intel driver so I'm assuming at this point I should be good to go - but I'm not.  Any ideas?  Anyone else using the newer driver?  (God I would hope so...)
Thanks,
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jon,
Could you post a screenshot of your Photoshop print dialog? If you're new to Macs, then screenshots are done by pressing either CMD + Shift + 3  or CMD + Shift + 4, then a file (Picture 1.png or something similar) is created on your desktop.

I must say that your problem is weird. What happens if you try to print from another application like TextEdit? Is the OS print dialog displayed correctly?

You might also want to repair disk permissions using Disk Utility (Utilites folder). It may or may not help.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:41:16 pm by francois »
Francois

BubbaJon

Mac printing
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:50:04 pm »

Jon,
Could you post a screenshot of your Photoshop print dialog? If you're new to Macs, then screenshots are done by pressing either CMD + Shift + 3  or CMD + Shift + 4, then a file (Picture 1.png or something similar) is created on your desktop.

I must say that your problem is weird. What happens if you try to print from another application like TextEdit? Is the OS print dialog displayed correctly?

You might also want to repair disk permissions using Disk Utility (Utilites folder). It may or may not help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll have to wait until I get home and then I'll post one right away.  Looks pretty much like the Windows PS print dialog.  It's the Epson print dialog that does not show up.  If I select page setup then I get the standard landscape/Portrait, paper size but none of the color stuff and not an advanced settings button in sight.
I can print from Photoshop - I just never see a Epson printer dialog.
Maybe I'm confusing the issue?
Thanks!
Jon

PS: I've seen a lot of stuff on Mac advice forums for various issues about running scripts for repair purposes - that's scary in the respect I thought these things were low maintenance compared to windows.

francois

Mac printing
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:07:42 pm »

I'll have to wait until I get home and then I'll post one right away.  Looks pretty much like the Windows PS print dialog.  It's the Epson print dialog that does not show up.  If I select page setup then I get the standard landscape/Portrait, paper size but none of the color stuff and not an advanced settings button in sight.
I can print from Photoshop - I just never see a Epson printer dialog.
Maybe I'm confusing the issue?
Thanks!
Jon
I'd recommmand that you try to print from another application and see if the OS print dialog is displayed. Page setup is jst that, it's only for paper sizes & orientation and scaling. All the color options, number of prints, layout etc... are done in the OS print dialog.
PS: I've seen a lot of stuff on Mac advice forums for various issues about running scripts for repair purposes - that's scary in the respect I thought these things were low maintenance compared to windows.
Repairing permissions sometimes helps but if you need to troubleshoot your Mac, using the Console application is the way to go. Frankly, I only use repair permissions when I see a permission related error message in the console.
Francois

Roy

• http://
Mac printing
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:24:53 pm »

Francois,

I've been having what you describe as the 'pink/salmon' issue since transferring over to Macs 3 weeks ago.
I started a thread on the subject to no avail - I didn't use the 'pink/salmon' description but it describes my problem perfectly.
Can you assist?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Look here:
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18323&hl=]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=18323&hl=[/url]
Roy

BubbaJon

Mac printing
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:15 am »

Finally got it up and running (I think).
A critical item that I'm almost embarrassed to admit - I did not know that color management was selected from the combo box - on Windows it's an all in one dialog.
That being said it was disabled (lined out).  On the advice of Epson I dragged teh entire Epson folder to the trash, purged the trash, fixed disk permissions, rebooted and reinstalled the driver.  Voila!  Now the printer dialog allows me to select color management and it is as I would expect it to be.  Hell it's even too dark by default - just like Windows! ;-)  The cure of course is to soft-proof and I anticipate no problems. Thanks to all that tried to impart wisdom.  I would like to remind y'all that it isn't safe to assume anything with an ex-Windows user ;-)  Seriously - we need coaching in the "Mac Way" of things if we're to love our new home.
Now if someone can fix the last piece of the puzzle which is printing with color management to a printer attached to a windows machine - I'd like to keep my laptop mobile and use the Windows box for a printing boat-anchor.
Thanks again,
Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up