Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD Back - first impressions  (Read 13475 times)

Brent Madison

Mamiya ZD Back - first impressions
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:36:13 pm »

I thought I'd share a few initial thoughts on Mamiya's ZD digital back on a AFD 645 body.  This is the first digital back I've owned, but I have used the P25 digital back from Phase One on the Fuji 680 system (with adapter).

I bought the ZD back in Bangkok about a week ago for about $8000, and used it for a hotel shoot in Phuket as a replacement to 6x4.5 film and as a suppliment to the d200 gear I've been using more and more (as film gets hard to source here in Asia).

Having used digital Nikons since they started producing them, the first thing you'll immediately notice when using the ZD back is that this is obviously a first-generation piece of equipment. The many menu, button and user-interface improvements refined over time in the current crop of Nikons doesn't exist in the ZD - menus and options are very basic, multiple-button operations are needed to do basic functions like showing image information, and review/viewing screens are slow to appear.

As others have said, and I agree, the screen is useless at 1.8 inches. I only used it to check the histogram as the review looks fuzzy all the time, and image zoom only makes you wonder if anything in the shot is sharp at all. I know the lenses and focus well from film-based days, so ended up treating the back much like film by ignoring the image review (but having the bonus of a histogram!).

In favor of the back's layout, the image information itself - ISO, Image Quality and remaining shots is very easy to see and easy to change.

Switching the camera on, there is a lag while the system boots. Once on, the power-saver mode will shut the back down after a few seconds of inactivity. This was very frustrating as the timing seemed to shut down precisely after I'd called new instructions to models or moved a piece of furniture and needed to shoot again. The camera itself then needs to be switched off, turned back on and the back needs to reboot. I eventually found the power-saver in the menu and switched it off which sped up battery use but saved countless missed shots.

Shooting golf courses, hotel interiors and exteriors and food/still-lifes the back worked wonderfully - and felt much like film. The back seems balanced perfectly to the system and I forgot at times I wasn't shooting film. The user still gets the 'ka-chunk' of the camera - all the lenses of the AFD system work, including a 645 50mm manual shift lens and I could shoot about 250-300 images before needing to find a plug to charge. I get about 110 images per 4 Gig card. Shooting models (and I'm assuming the same would apply to wildlife) there is only a 1-shot-per-second maximum and the buffer fills quickly. I repeatedly found myself waiting (as well as did the clients/models) for the 10-shot buffer to write, so it makes sense to buy the fastest cards on the market to help the process along.

TWO major concerns however -
The first: there were occassional, unexplained write/shoot errors (which the Mamiya rep in BKK said was due to a needed firmware upgrade in my AFD). These happened without warning and were 'cured' by shutting down the camera and turning it on again - and a few times by popping open the (somewhat overly easy-to-open) battery door in the bottom of the back which resets it.

The second: I found very quickly that using a polarizer (on three of my lenses) severely degrades/ruins image quality. It's something I'd rarely seen before on a CCD (in fact, I regularly use PL filters without a problem on my D200 system). I'd love to hear some explainations/work-arounds by those with experience on this. This is a major drawback for me as much of my work involves water/glass/grass/etc... that requires some sort of PL filtration.

I found image quality, color and sharpness wonderful - and it's why I bought this affordable back in the first place. It's wonderful to shoot on a Medium Format system directly to digital avoiding both the grain, wait and expense of scanning. I have an affinity to the frame ratio of this system that the much wider 35mm systems, and the image quality and "look" of MF system can't be beaten. I shoot almost entirely at ISO 100 as that was the film I've always used - very little noise and a bigger dynamic range than the D200, for sure. Where I would have to use a split ND filter to keep skies with the D200, I quickly discovered the ZD back kept image highlights very well - surprisingly well, in fact. I found ISO 400 quite noisy - but no noiser than the D200. While highlights are captured very well, I found from this initial shoot, that there is very little (almost none) to underexposure. Slightly underexposed images start to blockup badly in a non-uniform way (so maybe certain channels are more/less sensitive than others??). Most of my underexposed images were almost un-useable, where as there is some 'forgiveness' with a little underexposure with the D200. I tended to expose towards the burn for most situations, which resulted in very usable files.

Final impressions are that Bridge, Lightroom and the Mamiya software all deliver drastically different previews and processing of the MEF (Raw) files. This is more disconcerting to clients looking at roughs than to me, but the difference is so profound it's impossible to judge if the White Balance settings of the back are totally off or just being interpreted strangely. Daylight WB seemed to be passable using all softward but at this point, I'm leaning towards the look (and ease) of Lightroom's previews (strangely I thought Bridge and Lightroom would look the same, but not). The Mamiya software seems to have been created by someone who has never used image-processing software, especially the now-sleek Bridge and Lightroom, and the layout, controls and image controls of the Mamiya software reminded me of programs I'd used from the 1980s.

All in all, I'm very pleased to have bought the ZD back and will post some image samples soon. The system definitely needs faster buffers, a bigger screen with decent playback quality and speeds, and better user-menus - but for the price and the quality of 22megapixels (now comparible with buying high-end digital SLRs) along with the freedom of using the 645 AFD again heavily, the investment was totally worth it.

Looking forward to your feedback -
Sincerely,

Brent Madison

www.madisonimages.com[attachment=2987:attachment]

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:09:31 am »

I totally agree on the display on the back, it's laughable, you can't even look at the composition because it crops totally wrong.
When you think you have included the feet in the shot, the display will tell you you shot the ankles only, seeing the raw there is even space on the bottom of the feet.

Histogram is the only use indeed, however the histogram is taken from the JPEG, so when it says it's blowing out highlights it isn't on the RAW.

Get the firmware upgrade, I shot a while with an older back and the lockups were frequent. I now got the firware upgraded version and it's doesn't hang anymore

ternst

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 08:32:10 am »

Brent:

What does the polarizer do to your images? I can't imagine how it could destroy them - sounds very odd.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:28:21 pm »

I'm considering a ZD back also, I like the look of your posted image.
What RAW converter did you use and what post processing was applied?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:32:59 pm »

Hi
If you are using the ZD & are on a MAC use Iridient Raw Developer. It is very fast & does an excellent job with the ZD files.
   Take a look at this review & since then RD has been updated several times.

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/photograph...article027.html

Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Brent Madison

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:40:48 pm »

I totally agree on the display on the back, it's laughable, you can't even look at the composition because it crops totally wrong.
When you think you have included the feet in the shot, the display will tell you you shot the ankles only, seeing the raw there is even space on the bottom of the feet.

Histogram is the only use indeed, however the histogram is taken from the JPEG, so when it says it's blowing out highlights it isn't on the RAW.

Get the firmware upgrade, I shot a while with an older back and the lockups were frequent. I now got the firware upgraded version and it's doesn't hang anymore
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Frank,

First of all, I just wanted to say that your review was a major contributor for me springing when I did to get the digital back. I shoot lots of travel/lifestyle and the models glow on your site - great work.
I'd been called about two weeks earlier from the Mamiya distributor in Bangkok (also Nikon's only distributor in Thailand), and they started saying they'd discount the back/payments were available, etc... I was really thinking about it - when I saw your samples and review I thought - right choice for the gear! Thanks!

I'll be getting the firmware update as soon as I'm back to Bangkok. The Mamiya dealer there is quite helpful and said he'd send a loner-body in the meantime while the firmware was being upgraded - very glad to hear that the upgrade fixes the problems however. I was starting to worry that I'd be stuck with the problems permanently. I missed quite a few shots waiting for the back to reboot during this last assignment so really need it to perform.

BTW - I don't remember what software you're using to unstuff your MEFs. I find the Mamiya software almost un-useable though it's the program I used to post the sample. I prefer Lightroom myself but still don't find white balance as I'm used to seeing it from Nikon files.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 09:45:08 pm »

Brent

I am also new to the ZD, with the ZD camera (not back). Coming from D200 myself I agree with much you say but not with your comment of underexposure not being useful. On contrary it blows the D200 away on this. Using SilkyPix I found my undexposed waterfall (attached) to be fully useful and to print very nicely. I adjusted it +1.5 stops in SilkyPix!    That print is next to an HDR from D200 in my office and the ZD image is far superior even though not same subject or size of print, simply just the impression. I tried a couple of HDRs from the ZD, but I have so far found I get better results adjusting curves in SilkyPix. The DR and great latitude is impressive from the ZD.

So far I have done two landscape shoots and the camera and system definently makes me feel as being back to photography again   . I grew into photography with the F100 and Velvia 50 and I never liked the D200. My subjects are landscapes, scenery and people living tradition lives on many travels and living in foreign countries.

The controls of the ZD camera are truly excellent. I like the simplicity. They are different from the computer jungle I felt on the D200, and pretty much exactly where most should be, what I need and with ease to use them. Last Saturday I woke up 4am and drove 3 hours to a green tea field here in Korea (sigh... I have to drive about 3 hours to any beautiful scenery from where I live...  ). Light was so so, but after near an hour of wait some sun shined through an opening between the clouds during a few minutes (not perfect condition... but right place right time is most difficult in photography...   ). See attached. Green is the color I have found most difficult to get appealing in digital (whereas Velvia was magic   ). It took some time adjusting the photos, but overall the colors from the ZD are much better compared to D200. I also do not find the noise much issue. It is usually rather easy to remove in SilkyPix and whenever present it renders the images more film like. The D200 was terrible in noise. Third attached photo is from a business factory visit here in Korea. I shot 400 ASA, compensated +1.4 stops in SilkyPix, noise cleaned in SilkyPix. Ah yah. Propably some noise still, but pleasant looking and better results than I expected. The noise from D200 was not nice. ZD blows the D200 away.

The ZD is a loooooong time keeper.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:56:13 pm by Anders_HK »

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 10:04:08 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Greetings.  I too will soon be a ZD back owner to use with my AFD.  I'm confused though; I thought I had read that it is the 645 AF needs the firmware upgrade (free by Mamiya to make it an AFD) not the AFD.  I thought I had read that the AFD works fine with the ZD back.  

Is there a definitive answer to this?   Thanks in advance.

-Josh

Brent Madison

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:42 pm »

Brent:

What does the polarizer do to your images? I can't imagine how it could destroy them - sounds very odd.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There was a weird posterization of the sky that happened. While I've shot in Phuket many times with Nikon digital SLRs with PL, I only noticed this phenomenon once with the system (in the form of un-natural color shifts that were virtually not correctable).

With the ZD back it seems the PL shifted color in an un-natural way, AND posterized the sky. (See attachments - titled 'polar-... (with PL) and no_polar (no PL) - the "slices" are from the full-frame image, saved with the Mamiya software.

Another strange thing I've noticed while making these samples - both images were displayed dark and underexposed by one stop when opened with the Mamiya software - though when shot, was metered even and with a well-balanced histogram on camera! In the computer however using the Mamiya software, both PL and non-PL images registered as a stop under which boggles me...

During the full week assignment I used the back, I started exposing heavily to the right as underexposure on the back rendered very noisy spots in underexposed areas, a problem not experienced with slightly unexposed images with my Nikon system. Adding the color shift/posterization created by the PL too - these PL files were un-useable in my opinion and had to be reshot.

It would be interesting to get feedback from other Mamiya ZD back users trying PL filters and see their results.

Hopefully in my case, it was just a weird mix of atmosphere, CCD sensor temp (indeed, coming from a cold hotel room to Phuket outdoors would have some effect?), or ...? who knows!

Brent Madison

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 10:49:45 pm »

Hi
If you are using the ZD & are on a MAC use Iridient Raw Developer. It is very fast & does an excellent job with the ZD files.
   Take a look at this review & since then RD has been updated several times.

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/photograph...article027.html

Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132894\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the tip - I'm on a total PC system but will check out Iridient as there may be a PC version(?).
I've been using Lightroom when possible but hate having to load files ever time I want to see an updated folder...
Thanks again,
Brent.

Brent Madison

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:54:56 pm »

Greetings.  I too will soon be a ZD back owner to use with my AFD.  I'm confused though; I thought I had read that it is the 645 AF needs the firmware upgrade (free by Mamiya to make it an AFD) not the AFD.  I thought I had read that the AFD works fine with the ZD back. 

Is there a definitive answer to this?   Thanks in advance.

-Josh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The mamiya dealer told me to avoid hangs I'd need to upgrade the firmware of my AFD which they could do at the shop. I've hear the same now from a few - and it seems to do the job.

Also - there are conficts with the new zoom lens that has been released - and the firmware supposedly solves those problems.

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 12:19:22 am »

The mamiya dealer told me to avoid hangs I'd need to upgrade the firmware of my AFD which they could do at the shop. I've hear the same now from a few - and it seems to do the job.

Also - there are conficts with the new zoom lens that has been released - and the firmware supposedly solves those problems.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info.  It appears the confusion runs far and wide as to which 645af/afd/afdII requires the firmware upgrade (or perhaps there are multiple firmwares for the different versions).

Here's a thread from FM forums that seem to complicate the matter:
[a href=\"http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/541314/1]http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/541314/1[/url]

I emailed Mamiya USA for a clarification and will call this week.

-Josh

JDBFreeheel

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:38 pm »

Thanks for the info.  It appears the confusion runs far and wide as to which 645af/afd/afdII requires the firmware upgrade (or perhaps there are multiple firmwares for the different versions).

Here's a thread from FM forums that seem to complicate the matter:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/541314/1

I emailed Mamiya USA for a clarification and will call this week.

-Josh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All, I emailed Mamiya USA (MAC) this weekend.  I was excited to received an email response today. It appears, at least with the US ZD backs, that no additional firmware is needed for the AFD or AFDII, only the AF.

My ZD back arrived today.  I am charging the battery right now...I can't wait.

-Josh

info mamiya <info@macgroupus.com>        10:47 am  
   to      Josh    
   date      Aug 13, 2007 10:47 AM   
   subject      RE: Clarification re: firmware for AFD and ZD back   
Josh:

An AF camera will have to be upgraded to and AFD; the AFD and AFD II
should work perfectly with the ZD back.

Brent Madison

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20:03 am »

All, I emailed Mamiya USA (MAC) this weekend.  I was excited to received an email response today. It appears, at least with the US ZD backs, that no additional firmware is needed for the AFD or AFDII, only the AF.

My ZD back arrived today.  I am charging the battery right now...I can't wait.

-Josh

info mamiya <info@macgroupus.com>    10:47 am 
   to  Josh   
   date  Aug 13, 2007 10:47 AM 
   subject  RE: Clarification re: firmware for AFD and ZD back 
Josh:

An AF camera will have to be upgraded to and AFD; the AFD and AFD II
should work perfectly with the ZD back.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Josh - great news and thanks for the report from Mamiya. I do believe a firmware update is needed to use the new zoom lens they've just released however. I tried it on my AFD body in the shop - and got 'blanks' across the viewfinder screen. The salesman said the firmware update would fix it.
Wonder why firmware updates aren't available on the internet like every other camera...?
Thanks again,

Brent Madison
www.madisonimages.com

Brent Madison

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 06:26:59 am »

Brent

I am also new to the ZD, with the ZD camera (not back). Coming from D200 myself I agree with much you say but not with your comment of underexposure not being useful. On contrary it blows the D200 away on this. Using SilkyPix I found my undexposed waterfall (attached) to be fully useful and to print very nicely. I adjusted it +1.5 stops in SilkyPix!    That print is next to an HDR from D200 in my office and the ZD image is far superior even though not same subject or size of print, simply just the impression. I tried a couple of HDRs from the ZD, but I have so far found I get better results adjusting curves in SilkyPix. The DR and great latitude is impressive from the ZD.

So far I have done two landscape shoots and the camera and system definently makes me feel as being back to photography again   . I grew into photography with the F100 and Velvia 50 and I never liked the D200. My subjects are landscapes, scenery and people living tradition lives on many travels and living in foreign countries.

The controls of the ZD camera are truly excellent. I like the simplicity. They are different from the computer jungle I felt on the D200, and pretty much exactly where most should be, what I need and with ease to use them. Last Saturday I woke up 4am and drove 3 hours to a green tea field here in Korea (sigh... I have to drive about 3 hours to any beautiful scenery from where I live...  ). Light was so so, but after near an hour of wait some sun shined through an opening between the clouds during a few minutes (not perfect condition... but right place right time is most difficult in photography...   ). See attached. Green is the color I have found most difficult to get appealing in digital (whereas Velvia was magic   ). It took some time adjusting the photos, but overall the colors from the ZD are much better compared to D200. I also do not find the noise much issue. It is usually rather easy to remove in SilkyPix and whenever present it renders the images more film like. The D200 was terrible in noise. Third attached photo is from a business factory visit here in Korea. I shot 400 ASA, compensated +1.4 stops in SilkyPix, noise cleaned in SilkyPix. Ah yah. Propably some noise still, but pleasant looking and better results than I expected. The noise from D200 was not nice. ZD blows the D200 away.

The ZD is a loooooong time keeper.

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Anders -

I'm bummed as I'd written a long, detailed reply to your posting (thanks very much btw) - only to have lost it when my wireless internet connection went down!
Anyway, I was going to say thanks for posting the photos - great to see the work you're doing. Also had said that I loved the d200, though indeed noisy - and the Mamiya ZD reminds me of that in the shadows but with seemingly very different noise per channel.
I'll do more shooting and hopefully will change my mind on the noise - or learn how to deal with it better.
A major concern to me now as i post-process is finding a program that does a decent job with color. Adobe Camera Raw on both Bridge and Lightroom 1.1 render soupy, thick colors from a variety of shots. The Mamiya software tends to go the other way and wash out color, then blow the exposure to the right. Very strange.
A few have recommended SilkyPix - I've tried downloading but get a crash every time I try to load, so will have to try another way.
All this to say - good luck with the back. I hope to keep mine a long time too (so it pays for itself and more...) and I look forward to more discussions on it in the near future.
Sincerely,

Brent.

www.madisonimages.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 09:12:36 am »

Hi Anders -

I'm bummed as I'd written a long, detailed reply to your posting (thanks very much btw) - only to have lost it when my wireless internet connection went down!
Anyway, I was going to say thanks for posting the photos - great to see the work you're doing. Also had said that I loved the d200, though indeed noisy - and the Mamiya ZD reminds me of that in the shadows but with seemingly very different noise per channel.
I'll do more shooting and hopefully will change my mind on the noise - or learn how to deal with it better.
A major concern to me now as i post-process is finding a program that does a decent job with color. Adobe Camera Raw on both Bridge and Lightroom 1.1 render soupy, thick colors from a variety of shots. The Mamiya software tends to go the other way and wash out color, then blow the exposure to the right. Very strange.
A few have recommended SilkyPix - I've tried downloading but get a crash every time I try to load, so will have to try another way.
All this to say - good luck with the back. I hope to keep mine a long time too (so it pays for itself and more...) and I look forward to more discussions on it in the near future.
Sincerely,

Brent.

www.madisonimages.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brent,
It is interesting what you say of Lightroom. I am curious of that program because it seem to have some nice features. Colors are very important and SilkyPix is very satisfying in colors. It can be worthwhile to download it for you. Perhaps try another computer or email support? Do read the online manual to learn the program, you will find it much worthwhile. If you do try SilkyPix and after having had your head in both, please do let me know what your learnings are. I am keen to hear of a comparison in regards to colors specific, and the ease to select different presets as a starter. SilkyPix has presets for different colors (similar to colors of  film types). This makes rather quick and easy to adjust the rendering to what matches specific shots.

I should say it is pleasing with contact with people in the Asian corner also   ... I am in Korea, for now. Next year we shall see where in SE Asia.

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:14:41 am by Anders_HK »

Snook

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 06:17:35 pm »

Anders I must say those are some of the noisiest images I have seen in a long time..
What happened there?
The picture in the FActory with chinese workers is soooooo noisy.
Can you explain?
I also see you have the ZD camera not the back. I thought they were not going to produce the ZD camera and just the back for sale with or with out the AFDII?
Can you please verify..
Thanks
Those are the first horrible noise pictures I have seen for the ZD?
And I say that in a non offensive way by the way..:+}
Snook

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 09:20:57 pm »

Anders I must say those are some of the noisiest images I have seen in a long time..
What happened there?
The picture in the FActory with chinese workers is soooooo noisy.
Can you explain?
I also see you have the ZD camera not the back. I thought they were not going to produce the ZD camera and just the back for sale with or with out the AFDII?
Can you please verify..
Thanks
Those are the first horrible noise pictures I have seen for the ZD?
And I say that in a non offensive way by the way..:+}
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133501\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

In all respect, if you are not clear on that the ZD Camera has been out on world market for about 18 months... then I will naturally take the rest of your post with much and alot of grains of salt.  

F.y.i. the factory is in KOREA. That is not Chinese workers but my much respected Hong Kong colleagues, engineers at much Senior level. F.y.i. the fabrication is for Incheon Bridge that will be the fourth longest bridge of its type in the world.

In regards to noise, bear in mind that what you see is not original photos but in this case resized using MS Resizer. The ZD will smoke any DSLR to pieces in image quality. This has been stated by others (short of for sports, action and the like). This is also my impression and I am happy to feel back to photography with it, because I never liked Nikon D200 and Nikn DSLRs. Any noise is typically more film like with it and only at dark situations with high ISO to disturbance. That factory shot was DARK. I am surpriced it got as good as it did, but... it can be cleaned up further, but for its intended purpose of photo from a business trip I did not see the need. Oh, b.t.w. it was handheld. Try same with a 39MP hassy that is heavier and see what you will get. Maybe better, maybe worse? Does it matter? If image quality is to your satisfaction like in this case mine? My Nikon D200 would have been smoked.

Well pixel peeping is one thing, what actual you get as photograph is another. What matters most? The photo, or camera? The waterfall was underexposed 1.5 stops by misstake because new meter I am not used to, but still very nice in print! As for all respect, do some reading on the ZD camera, e.g. here in forums and links from them!   Or, simply trust the words I say...

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:37:23 pm by Anders_HK »

johnE

• http://www.johneskey.com
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 01:23:36 am »

Snook,

In all respect, if you are not clear on that the ZD Camera has been out on world market for about 18 months... then I will naturally take the rest of your post with much and alot of grains of salt.  

F.y.i. the factory is in KOREA. That is not Chinese workers but my much respected Hong Kong colleagues, engineers at much Senior level. F.y.i. the fabrication is for Incheon Bridge that will be the fourth longest bridge of its type in the world.

In regards to noise, bear in mind that what you see is not original photos but in this case resized using MS Resizer. The ZD will smoke any DSLR to pieces in image quality. This has been stated by others (short of for sports, action and the like). This is also my impression and I am happy to feel back to photography with it, because I never liked Nikon D200 and Nikn DSLRs. Any noise is typically more film like with it and only at dark situations with high ISO to disturbance. That factory shot was DARK. I am surpriced it got as good as it did, but... it can be cleaned up further, but for its intended purpose of photo from a business trip I did not see the need. Oh, b.t.w. it was handheld. Try same with a 39MP hassy that is heavier and see what you will get. Maybe better, maybe worse? Does it matter? If image quality is to your satisfaction like in this case mine? My Nikon D200 would have been smoked.

Well pixel peeping is one thing, what actual you get as photograph is another. What matters most? The photo, or camera? The waterfall was underexposed 1.5 stops by misstake because new meter I am not used to, but still very nice in print! As for all respect, do some reading on the ZD camera, e.g. here in forums and links from them!   Or, simply trust the words I say...

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not to get into the middle of this but when you post images that look like that factory scene, what type of comments do you expect? I assume you were posting to demonstrate the backs capabilities. That one is not going to sell ZD backs.

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 02:24:01 am »

Not to get into the middle of this but when you post images that look like that factory scene, what type of comments do you expect? I assume you were posting to demonstrate the backs capabilities. That one is not going to sell ZD backs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John,

In all respect, yours (and Snook;s) reply makes me wanna do one thing: simply forget forums and do what I like: photography   .

I explained the factory image above and see no reason to post more on its regards. Only state what I said above, in same situation my D200 would have been much much worse. If you have any questions on other counts please feel free to ask or drop me a private email  

Regards
Anders
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up