Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! HP APS install disaster  (Read 16135 times)

ltphoto

Help! HP APS install disaster
« on: August 01, 2007, 09:50:39 am »

I just purchased the HP Advanced Profiling Solution to go along with my DesignJet Z3100. This looks like a good solution, except that I cannot get it activated and out of demo mode.

First off, I was astonished   to discover the CD in the package does not actually contain the APS software. It simply links to a website to download the application. That did not work, however, since the URL was no good and I just received a page not found error. I found a link to download version 1.3 in another message thread and did that. That version installed just fine.

Now when I run the application it is in demo mode. I click the "Activation/Registration" button and it takes me to the page to enter the CD Key. I did that and it comes back and insists that I have a proxy server address to enter so that it can go online to activate. The only problem is that I am not using a proxy server for my internet connection and there is nothing to enter. No matter what I do it will not let me activate.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make this work? Possibly go back to an earlier version? If so, does anyone have a link to an earlier version of the software? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Roy

Charles Gast

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:56:58 am »

It sounds like you may have a browser problem. Make sure if you have an internet security program running to turn that off. Maybe you need to tell your browser to accept cookies too.  
Hope this helps.

Charlie

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 10:09:13 am »

Roy, what operating system/browser are you using?  My experience with APS is that the good folks at X-Rite have made the activation/registration process dependent on MS-IE.  The registration process won't work, its completely broke for me.  The activation process though should work.  Or more accurately, it worked for me once I played around a bit.  You do have the colorimeter plugged in, right?

Every attempt to register the product results in this lovely screen for me.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:09:35 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

ltphoto

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:43:43 am »

I am using Windows XP Professional, 32 bit and IE7. There is nothing in the security settings to block this. The activation does not attempt to use the browser from what I can tell. It operates from within the APS application. It just keeps coming back and insisting that I am using a proxy server and needing the IP address and port. Since I am not using a proxy server I do not have anything to enter.

Roy

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:59 pm »

Roy your environment is very similar to mine.  Do you have a software or hardware firewall or AV software that might be causing this?  Are you connected directly to the internet via a router to a cable or dsl modem?
Regards,
Ron

ltphoto

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:17:14 pm »

Roy your environment is very similar to mine.  Do you have a software or hardware firewall or AV software that might be causing this?  Are you connected directly to the internet via a router to a cable or dsl modem?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I do have Norton AV which I disabled thinking that might be the issue. Same results.

My internet connection is via a router to a cable modem.

In the documentation I was able to find about APS on the HP website it indicates that if it detects a proxy server it will automatically fill in the IP address and port. In my case it says there is a proxy server, but leaves those spaces blank. Evidently something is fooling the activation software into thinking there is a proxy server, but not providing any information to let it pass.

Roy

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:36:29 pm »

Do you have your router set up where you're running from a DMZ?
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 02:44:40 pm »

Sounds like a classic case of paranoid software makers creating a hassle for paying customers to get what they paid for. Why don't they just send a time sensitive link to purchasers to download the software, ie Digital River style?

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:01:06 pm »

Sounds like a classic case of paranoid software makers creating a hassle for paying customers to get what they paid for. Why don't they just send a time sensitive link to purchasers to download the software, ie Digital River style?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think they're trying to accommodate those users who might be in corporations and behind firewalls and proxy servers.
Regards,
Ron

ltphoto

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »

Do you have your router set up where you're running from a DMZ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's a DMZ?

Roy

Fred Ragland

• http://
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:53:58 pm »

To install APS, I had to get over the same two hurdles others note above.  The CD in the package sends you to an internet address that isn't recognized.  I used Ron Donson's research on another string and brought up this address, downloaded the file and proceeded to activate and register.  Registration sent me to someone's form that doesn't recognize HP, so I didn't register.  From there on everything was per the instructions which were easy to follow.  

I've since printed on HP ID Photo Gloss and Professional Satin, both profiled with the large target and am pleased with the improvements.

Fred

Roscolo

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 06:04:38 pm »

I think they're trying to accommodate those users who might be in corporations and behind firewalls and proxy servers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131056\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wouldn't a direct download link be the best way to accommodate those users as well? Here's your link, download the file, install. I've purchased plenty of software that was that easy, usually provided through Digital River.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 07:22:46 pm »

What's a DMZ?

Roy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131062\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, if you're asking the question you probably aren't using it and therefore its not a concern for you.

Basically its a special subnet created behind a firewall that's used to protect other portions of your network.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 07:27:57 pm »

Wouldn't a direct download link be the best way to accommodate those users as well? Here's your link, download the file, install. I've purchased plenty of software that was that easy, usually provided through Digital River.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That sounds easy but a lot of corporations block all ftp traffic and most ports at the firewalls.  Proxy servers are often used to block access to web sites that might provide questionable content or ways to introduce malware to the corporate networks.  Downloads may be the number one method that malware gets into the corporation.

Roy, sorry this got off topic.  I was just searching for something that might explain why you couldn't activate APS.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:29:28 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

ltphoto

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 07:39:43 pm »

That sounds easy but a lot of corporations block all ftp traffic and most ports at the firewalls.  Proxy servers are often used to block access to web sites that might provide questionable content or ways to introduce malware to the corporate networks.  Downloads may be the number one method that malware gets into the corporation.

Roy, sorry this got off topic.  I was just searching for something that might explain why you couldn't activate APS.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. I'll keep plugging away. There has to be some magic combination that will let me activate.

Roy

ltphoto

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 08:14:36 am »

It must be the phase of the moon or something, but APS did finally let me activate and I am now out of demo mode. Not sure what changed, but sure am glad that it did before I lost my mind.

Roy

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 08:30:58 am »

I'm glad the story had a happy ending, Roy.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:17 pm »

I'm struggling with installing my APS now.  I managed to download the software (no thanks to HP for not fixing the link and for sending you to the bogus site for registration with the error message shown in the screencap above).
Unfortunately, I have plugged my eye one in and it's serial number is showing up in the APS software window, but I keep getting error messages saying I should call tech support to register.  Of course, HP's "24 hour" tech support is only open until 5pm Pacific time, so I can't get through to them until tomorrow.  
This episode, plus the time I wasted trying in vain to update my firmware, only to discover that the new release is not able to be run on the APS machine, has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for a first impression.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 10:15:26 pm »

I'm struggling with installing my APS now.  I managed to download the software (no thanks to HP for not fixing the link and for sending you to the bogus site for registration with the error message shown in the screencap above).
Unfortunately, I have plugged my eye one in and it's serial number is showing up in the APS software window, but I keep getting error messages saying I should call tech support to register.  Of course, HP's "24 hour" tech support is only open until 5pm Pacific time, so I can't get through to them until tomorrow. 
This episode, plus the time I wasted trying in vain to update my firmware, only to discover that the new release is not able to be run on the APS machine, has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for a first impression.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The APS itself is written by X-Rite and the registration site appears to be X-Rite as well.  It's quite possible that the update mechanism and website are X-Rite's.  Shame on HP for not thoroughly testing this out though.  

The one thing I can say is that once you're past the pain of installing, updating, activating and registering the APS its incredibly easy to use.  The whole experience is much easier than having the i1 spectro and the io.  I've also been very happy with the profiles created from the TC9.18 target.

I've filled out HP and X-Rite online support requests and I've never heard a peep from either of them.  Those things seems to go into some corporate black hole.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 11:05:21 pm »

Mea Culpa:
After a long tech support call, I was still having difficulty with registration and they were still on the line trying to help me when I had a slow burn moment and realized that I had been reading the key number wrong.  I was worried about confusing Os and 0s, and even entered both in case I had it wrong, but I overlooked the 1 for I substitution.  The number had a I1 combination, which in the serif font it was printed in I read as two letter Is.  The silly missing serif in the number 1 was the cause of all my grief.  Ugh!

Dumb mistake #2:
Since I had read all the posts about how critical it is to update a new Z3100s firmware, I tried updating my new machine.  I downloaded the most recent firmware for the 44" model and attempted to upload it to the printer.  I got an unable to update message that remained on the display.  Only later did I realize that I had the standard firmware, not the firmware for the PS model.  My call this morning about the APS installation confirmed that there have been NO firmware updates for the Postscript/APS model.  In the end, a power down cleared the errror message and there seems to be no issue with my failed attempt, although the woman who helped me at HP tech support sounded like it easily could have been a major issue if my luck had gone the other way.  Here's to dumb luck!

Regarding the APS:
Now that it is running, the APS seems like a pretty customizable, high powered application with a very friendly interface.  The monitor calibration and printer profiling couldn't have been easier (except perhaps the fact that it tells me my 17" MacBook Pro can't hit Gama 1.8).  I'm also really impressed with the difference in the vividness of the APS pattern vs. the standard printer profiling pattern.   The standard pattern has a rather orangish red and a magenta, but the APS one has many nice, vivid patches in the middle of the red spectrum.  I will be making some more demanding test prints soon, but for now I am feeling much more excited about my new purchase today than at this time yesterday.  On to more printing . . .

-Ron
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up