Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Refurbs?  (Read 8170 times)

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
Leaf Refurbs?
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:43:24 am »

Teamwork in the UK always have Phaseone refurbs on offer, this makes the MF back look a lot more attractive purchase. Is there a Leaf equivalent scheme?

Kevin.

yaya

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:11:05 am »

Teamwork in the UK always have Phaseone refurbs on offer, this makes the MF back look a lot more attractive purchase. Is there a Leaf equivalent scheme?

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129142\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, both Calumet and Peartree will be able to provide you with prices of the various models. They normally come with 1 year warranty (extendable).

I hope this helps

Yair

KAP

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

Yes, both Calumet and Peartree will be able to provide you with prices of the various models. They normally come with 1 year warranty (extendable).

I hope this helps

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129147\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Yair,
I'll take a look, the Calumet site is such a mess I can't normally be bothered.

Kevin.

yaya

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:55:51 am »

Thanks Yair,

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Best would be to contact the major accounts team directly: 0207-380-4511 and to ask for Sue Jacobs or Ben Norton.

Yair

RicAgu

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:04:55 am »

You may want to look at PPR Atlanta and talk to Setve Hendrix.  Incredibly supprtive and wth the way the pound is out right embarrassing the dollar, you could fly over for the weekend and get some nice down home Gospel time and go home with an refurb Aptus.  I am not sure how Steve would handle an international support, but he wanders these halls and I am sure he will chime in.

As it has been discussed here to death.  CALUMET SUCKS! They are by far the worst retailer to deal with.  Not only in the USA but in Germany as well.  They may well very suck at all their locations but I canot coment on the UK.

I have been dealing with steve and there are some very attractive prices.

Best of luck

KAP

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 11:30:27 am »

You may want to look at PPR Atlanta and talk to Setve Hendrix.  Incredibly supprtive and wth the way the pound is out right embarrassing the dollar, you could fly over for the weekend and get some nice down home Gospel time and go home with an refurb Aptus.  I am not sure how Steve would handle an international support, but he wanders these halls and I am sure he will chime in.

As it has been discussed here to death.  CALUMET SUCKS! They are by far the worst retailer to deal with.  Not only in the USA but in Germany as well.  They may well very suck at all their locations but I canot coment on the UK.

Best of luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So what price is an Aptus in the US of A ?

Kevin.

Tomcat

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:35:38 pm »

I just picked up a refurb Aptus 75 for about 1/3 off new price.

Tom

yodelyo

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:45:58 pm »

I just picked up a refurb Aptus 75 for about 1/3 off new price.

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

prices prices prices!!!! lets see prices actual numbers!!!

RicAgu

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 02:00:18 pm »

The best thing to do is call your dealer and have them work with you.  

There are very attractive prices out there on refurbs.  If you don't have a dealer I would only deal with either PPR for Hassy, Leaf, and Sinar or Capture Integration and Image Production for Phase One.

They work with you well and don't care if you don't have the pockets of Conde Nast, Sears, Kmart etc..

It seems in NYC the dealers only care about large volume buyers or your name.  So if you're Lebovitz, Meisel or Raymond Meier then they messenger backs and brown nose all the way.  But if you're Jo Blow doing small gigs and want some advice or an email question they don't take the call or say they're too busy.

Best of luck with all who are buying.  It is a long and winding road with a lot of uphill turns.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 10:46:48 pm »

You may want to look at PPR Atlanta and talk to Setve Hendrix.  Incredibly supprtive and wth the way the pound is out right embarrassing the dollar, you could fly over for the weekend and get some nice down home Gospel time and go home with an refurb Aptus.  I am not sure how Steve would handle an international support, but he wanders these halls and I am sure he will chime in.

As it has been discussed here to death.  CALUMET SUCKS! They are by far the worst retailer to deal with.  Not only in the USA but in Germany as well.  They may well very suck at all their locations but I canot coment on the UK.

Best of luck
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Ric.

Actually, for my international customers email has been the primary support vehicle. I have one customer in particular in Australia who purchased from me and was a bit new to the process of medium format digital. At one point I counted hundreds of emails just between him and me, although a lot of them were "Ok, thanks mate". I also accept and return phone calls, although the time zones may not line up perfectly. I do have one client in London who uses a Leaf Aptus 75.

Leaf has recently released Aptus 75 refurbs for V series and H series Hasselblad mount at $19,995. As always, I am open to working with my customers when it comes to pricing, although I won't usually be the lowest.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Henry Goh

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:53:45 pm »

Thank you Ric.

Actually, for my international customers email has been the primary support vehicle. I have one customer in particular in Australia who purchased from me and was a bit new to the process of medium format digital. At one point I counted hundreds of emails just between him and me, although a lot of them were "Ok, thanks mate". I also accept and return phone calls, although the time zones may not line up perfectly. I do have one client in London who uses a Leaf Aptus 75.

Leaf has recently released Aptus 75 refurbs for V series and H series Hasselblad mount at $19,995. As always, I am open to working with my customers when it comes to pricing, although I won't usually be the lowest.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Steve,

With V mounts and older bodies, is it common to have to shim the backs for optimum focus accuracy or am I just worrying for nothing.

Thanks.

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 01:15:07 am »

Hi Steve,

With V mounts and older bodies, is it common to have to shim the backs for optimum focus accuracy or am I just worrying for nothing.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry:

The answer to your question would be if critical focus was important and you had a habit of shooting wide open, then it might be possible - even probable - that some adjustment somewhere would need to be done.

When putting a digital back on any medium format camera, we recommend having the camera kit and lenses calibrated to factory spec. That way you have a known state of calibration for the camera.  What that does is make it easier to troubleshoot where the focus problem lies. It is far more likely that the camera is off than the Leaf digital back. Digital backs are precisely measured at the factory to accurately hit the proper focus plane for the various medium format cameras. This measurement is likely based on factory spec for each camera model. With your camera in calibration, if focus is off, the digital back becomes the culprit. This is rare with Leaf digital backs, although I have had one occasion where the sensor placement was off by a matter of microns. Normally the camera is off.

Since Leaf digital backs are hard-mounted, there are no shimming options as you have with Sinar or Hasselblad, who both offer end-user changable plates. If your Leaf digital back is off, then Leaf would need to re-set the sesnor placement at a service center.

Hasselblad and Sinar offer the option of shimming, although it appears there is less precision of the focus plane with those digital backs if for no other reason than the end user might tighten their camera plate screws a turn or so different than another end user, introducing a variable. I think either option has it's plus and minuses, but I feel both work well.

Sorry for the long answer.

So the short answer is get your camera equipment calibrated back to original factory spec. That will significantly improve your chances of accurate focus.

Steve Hendrix
PPR
www.ppratlanta.com
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 02:39:37 am »

Thanks Yair,

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Kevin

I recommend you contact a guy called Andy Johnson at Calumet.  He demonstrated a Leaf back for me in my studio and he was extremely helpful.  I understand somewhat what you are all saying about Calumet and in the UK also, but both Andy and Sue Jacobs were on the ball.

Ended up buying a P45 but that wasn't anything to do with those two particular people at Calumet.

Hope this helps.

Steve

KAP

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 04:20:03 am »

Hi Kevin

I recommend you contact a guy called Andy Johnson at Calumet.  He demonstrated a Leaf back for me in my studio and he was extremely helpful.  I understand somewhat what you are all saying about Calumet and in the UK also, but both Andy and Sue Jacobs were on the ball.

Ended up buying a P45 but that wasn't anything to do with those two particular people at Calumet.

Hope this helps.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well by some magic power (cue the Twilight zone theme) I got a call out of the blue from Andy. Spooky hay Yair! someone is on the ball. He left a message on my mobile, I'll call him back on Monday.

Thanks all,

Kevin.

yaya

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 04:59:28 am »

Well by some magic power (cue the Twilight zone theme) I got a call out of the blue from Andy. Spooky hay Yair! someone is on the ball. He left a message on my mobile, I'll call him back on Monday.

Thanks all,

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, very spooky  

Seriously I think that every dealer at this level of product deserves the right to prove they can provide a professional service! As the Leaf manager for UK I set the standards that my dealers have to meet...

Have a nice weekend,

Yair

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 10:38:40 am »

Hi Steve,

Thanks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry,

Have you considered RZ67?
The ground glass of the camera has very easy and super precise adjustment so you never have to worry about critical focus being off regardless of the digital back being use. The lenses are superb as well.

[a href=\"http://Http://Andrenapier.com]Http://Andrenapier.com[/url] - exclusively Rz67/A75S

Henry Goh

Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:30 pm »

Henry,

Have you considered RZ67?
The ground glass of the camera has very easy and super precise adjustment so you never have to worry about critical focus being off regardless of the digital back being use. The lenses are superb as well.

Http://Andrenapier.com - exclusively Rz67/A75S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Andre,

No I have not.  This is due to the fact that I still have 2  V bodies, 4 lenses and an under-used SWC903.  But you have given me food for thought.  Thank you.

Henry

NBP

• http://
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 03:23:30 pm »

Best of luck with all who are buying.  It is a long and winding road with a lot of uphill turns.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure I would subscribe to this PoV personally.
Don't take this the wrong way Ric, but I'm think the buyer has a fair amount of influence as to how many 'uphill turns' their road ends up having.

I'm in Europe and bought an A65 in the US earlier this year and the whole process from settling on a good dealer to picking it up in person, went incredibly smoothly.
Luck? I don't think so much to be honest. I'd done extensive testing on different backs  the previous 6 months, so knew exactly what I needed & when finding [an NY] dealer I just used my trusty BS radar.

First off the list were those who couldn't be bothered even replying to initial email requests about pricing.
Second were those who on phone contact, sounded like it was a major irritation just having to talk to me.

Contary to popular opinion, Calumet NYC were suprisingly helpful both in email & on the phone but lost out on price to Kenmar in Albertson, NY (a whole $1000 cheaper) who we're just wonderful from start to finish. Nothing was a headache including the transfer of funds, and the guys at Kenmar, particuarly Ken Reisher, we're incredibly friendly and on the ball.
The after sales contact has - and continues to be - just as good. (I fully recomend them)

All said, I ended up saving about £3000 - £3500 (and that's also taking into account 2 flights for my partner & I, and the bonus of a fantastic week in NYC).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:26:57 pm by NBP »

StuartR

• http://www.stuartrichardson.com
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 07:34:35 am »

Contary to popular opinion, Calumet NYC were suprisingly helpful both in email & on the phone but lost out on price to Kenmar in Albertson, NY (a whole $1000 cheaper) who we're just wonderful from start to finish.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129416\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would agree with this. I highly recommend Calumet NYC in person. I have not dealt with them on email or the phone though...I can also recommend their (small) store in Santa Barbara where I used to live. I find that their prices tend to be slightly higher than Adorama and B&H, but they are usually far more pleasant in person and it is a much more agreeable experience. I have nothing against Adorama or B&H, I use them as well, it's just that Calumet is always a more pleasant experience. I have not bought anything from them more expensive than an Epson 3800 though, so I cannot speak to how they compare to people like Fotocare for that market. I am surprised to hear there is a negative perception of them. Their website really is poor though...

NBP

• http://
Leaf Refurbs?
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 11:06:41 am »

I have nothing against Adorama or B&H, I use them as well, it's just that Calumet is always a more pleasant experience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adorama I'm fine with, but to be honest I gave up on B&H a while ago.
a, they don't do MFDB
b, It's a bloody circus in there these days. It's like the photographic version of Ikea - makes my head start spinning after about 5 mins!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up