Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I get the Notebook Config I want?  (Read 2699 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
How can I get the Notebook Config I want?
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:10:09 am »

I know what I want in a notebook configuration - but I've spend hours on the various vendor sites trying to find which path leads to the closest match - at the end ther's always something not right -eg Dell its usually the glossy screen...  Lenovo T61 gets closest to what I want, except I have to buy a $250Cdn docking station to get a DVI port.  Also win xp pro (they never actually specify 64bit) seems very rare as a congif option - I guess if I asked for it...)

Is there a site where I can plug in all my specs and it will compare to whats available from all the vendors?

fwiw I'm after:

win xp pro 64 (I really want this to be compantible with our work environment, which means windows, not Mac - plus I love Qimage)

core 2 duo 2GHz

14.1 tft monitor, not glossy , wxga+ 256 video ram

dvi external graphics port

standard card port - ie: plug in external sata adaptor

100 gig 7200 sata drive (I think seagate makes a 160 7200, which is what I really want - but have never seen as a config option anywhere and I'm not really enamoured of the idea of buying something then ripping it apart and replacing a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have had to pay for in the first place).

DVD - don't really care

4gig ram, (eg Dell wants about 2x the going price for 2gig chips, so why should I pay for 1 gig just to toss it out - but if that's the most economical approach, I'll do it)

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:24:44 am »

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 10:46:19 pm »

Asus, Acer, Toshiba, and other all make laptops with most of what you're looking for.  The combination of DVI, 4 GB RAM and 14.1" screen are probably what's going to be difficult to find outside of a Mac.  You might be able to find what you're looking for if you could live with a larger screen.
Regards,
Ron

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:48:36 am »

Asus, Acer, Toshiba, and other all make laptops with most of what you're looking for.  The combination of DVI, 4 GB RAM and 14.1" screen are probably what's going to be difficult to find outside of a Mac.  You might be able to find what you're looking for if you could live with a larger screen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I'll expand up to 15 and see what happens - the 17" are a bit big for when I travel...

as for the URL to Bizware - all that does is tell me to consider customizing a build then gives me a few sites to mine and another 15 or so products to look at - all done one by one, so no help there.

tived

• http://
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:11:54 am »

Hi Tim,

if the Dell otherwise fits the bill, just buy your ram elsewhere!

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up