Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Week Cross-Country Trip  (Read 3442 times)

dqniel

Two Week Cross-Country Trip
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:59:57 pm »

I live in Cincinnati, OH and myself along with two of my friends are driving to San Francisco to see the Smashing Pumpkins reuniting tour on July 24th.

I've already been to CO twice- once when I was only 6 or so and again last summer.  Last summer I was using my first camera, a Canon A520, to take the pictures you'll see in this post.  Please don't make fun of them    cause they're just to give you guys some ideas of the equipment that might be good to bring along this time around.

What I have already:

Sony A100
One battery and standard charger
2x 2GB CF
Sony 18-70mm Kit lens w/ generic UV Filter
Minolta 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 D w/ generic UV Filter
Minolta 50mm 1.4 w/ Minolta UV Filter

Obviously I am just a novice and the purpose of this trip is to get out of Cincinnati, not just for pictures.  Photography will be taking a back seat, sadly, due to time constraints and the fact that neither of my friends have any interest in it    I would appreciate low-budget-minded suggestions on equipment that would be good for a novice.

Please critique what I plan to get:

+ 2 New 55mm UV Filters and one 55mm polarizer ($???) - suggestions?  I've heard Tiffen, Hoya, Minolta, or B + W.  I'm looking for the best price to performance since I'm a newb.
+ Tripod ( < $100) - needs to be light and small as I'll be hiking a lot!  I have no, nor plan to get, any heavy lenses.
+ Camera bag ( < $60) - needs to be a bag capable of attaching to my chest that has room for one attached lens and one or two additional lenses
+ Microdear cloth and Rexton fluid ($15 adorama) - keep my stuff clean
+ Power inverter ($30) - Charge the camera battery from my car
+ Hiking backpack ( < $150 ) - I am 5'7" and 120lbs and no hike will be longer than 3 days so it doesn't need to hold much.  It will be holding a personal tent or hammock, some clothes, food, sleeping bag, and safety/emergency equipment.
+ Sleeping bag ( < $100) - Needs to fit in the sleeping bag compartment of a hiking backpack and be warm down to whatever temps Zion and Yosemite reach at night in July.  I sleep warm but wake up cold (high metabolism  )
+ Tent/Hammock (< $200) - Keep in mind I'm small so women's sizes prob would work.  Needs to be bug proof and rain-proof would be nice.  I'm currently looking into this: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs-ul-asym.html
+ Hiking attire/shoes ($???) - suggestions?
+ Cheap road trip/camping food and fluids suggestions ($???)
+ Anything else?  

The following is a rough itinerary that I hope to fine-tune with all your help:

July 16th -> July 17th - Taking turns driving to Leadville, CO (1,280 miles) to stay here: http://www.leadvillehostel.com/page/page/1581193.htm

July 18th - Lots of abandoned mining setups (complete with acid-runoff lakes) and alpine vistas to shoot here
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 04:06:07 pm by dqniel »

dobson

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 08:48:16 pm »

I will leave the photographic advice to those on this site with much more eknowledge than myself. But I can help you with camping/backpacking advice.

Your choice of camping supplies does not soley depend on budget and conditions. You have to decide what kind of comfort you are looking for. Do you want light weight, (for long days on the trail), or lots of creature-comforts. I personally perfer light weight as it could make the difference between a pleasant hike and a death march. I just deal with discomfort in camp and try to minimize my time there by spending my time on the trail. (Of course, while car-camping I'm much less concerned with packing light). Your budget is slim, but certainly enough to work with in the summertime.

Pack - A 55L pack is plenty large for lightweight backpacking. An alpine style pack has the advantages of being lightweight and compressible for day trips, (so you don't need a separate day-pack). I like the REI brand packs for their quality/cost. Kelty is all right for your price range, but a little over-built, in my opinion. Ideally your pack will be under 40 pounds when fully loaded for a few days.

Sleeping bag - Get a synthetic bag (warm when wet) that is fairly compressible and plan to sleep in your clothing layers if it gets cold. A 32-degree bag should be sufficient for the summer, though you may get cold some nights. Slumberjack and Kelty make good bags in your price-range. I use an inexpensive closed-cell foam pad  under my bag.

Tent/Hammock - If you don't mind going the minimalist route, just get a bivy-sack. There are ones with mosquito netting and a hoop that would be nice in the summer. There are also numerous singe-person tents available if you want to be comfortable. I would steer clear of hammocks in case you are in a place that has few trees.

Shoes - Footwear is one of the most important choices you will make. You probably have a pair of boots already and these aught to work fine. When on mild, (and dry), terrain I usually just wear a pair of trail runners; light-hikers or approach soes would do wel too.. These shoes are inexpensive and nimble. When alpine climbing on rough terrain and snow I use my heavy, (and expensive), alpine boots to protect my feet.

Clothing - Always wear either wool or synthetics. Cotton does not insulate when wet and doesn't breathe as well in high temperatures. I usually take long base layers, synthetic t-shirts, nylon shorts/pants, long-sleeve shirt, fleece, jacket, and wool socks and a fleece hat.

Food - All depends on how "gourmet you are". When car camping, just eat what you usually eat as long as it can be cooked on a camp stove. Those rice-a-roni type things work well backpacking as does ramen if you are really cheap. On the trail, I just pack some clif bars and snacks. Oatmeal makes a tasty breakfast. For lunch I like to make ham and cream cheese on a bagel sandwiches.

Other - water treatment (filter or tablets), safety equipment, canister stove

You have to check with individual areas for info regarding showers, reservations, etc. Some tourist towns have hotels that offer showers for a nominal fee.

I have camped in the Moab area a few times. I suggest you simply camp at one of the many areas on River Road. There is easily available water at matrimony springs and the scenery is amazing. I believe the cost was $10 per night.

Hope this helps
Phillip

dqniel

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:36:56 pm »

I will leave the photographic advice to those on this site with much more eknowledge than myself. But I can help you with camping/backpacking advice.

Your choice of camping supplies does not soley depend on budget and conditions. You have to decide what kind of comfort you are looking for. Do you want light weight, (for long days on the trail), or lots of creature-comforts. I personally perfer light weight as it could make the difference between a pleasant hike and a death march. I just deal with discomfort in camp and try to minimize my time there by spending my time on the trail. (Of course, while car-camping I'm much less concerned with packing light). Your budget is slim, but certainly enough to work with in the summertime.
Pack - A 55L pack is plenty large for lightweight backpacking. An alpine style pack has the advantages of being lightweight and compressible for day trips, (so you don't need a separate day-pack). I like the REI brand packs for their quality/cost. Kelty is all right for your price range, but a little over-built, in my opinion. Ideally your pack will be under 40 pounds when fully loaded for a few days.

Sleeping bag - Get a synthetic bag (warm when wet) that is fairly compressible and plan to sleep in your clothing layers if it gets cold. A 32-degree bag should be sufficient for the summer, though you may get cold some nights. Slumberjack and Kelty make good bags in your price-range. I use an inexpensive closed-cell foam pad  under my bag.

Tent/Hammock - If you don't mind going the minimalist route, just get a bivy-sack. There are ones with mosquito netting and a hoop that would be nice in the summer. There are also numerous singe-person tents available if you want to be comfortable. I would steer clear of hammocks in case you are in a place that has few trees.

Shoes - Footwear is one of the most important choices you will make. You probably have a pair of boots already and these aught to work fine. When on mild, (and dry), terrain I usually just wear a pair of trail runners; light-hikers or approach soes would do wel too.. These shoes are inexpensive and nimble. When alpine climbing on rough terrain and snow I use my heavy, (and expensive), alpine boots to protect my feet.

Clothing - Always wear either wool or synthetics. Cotton does not insulate when wet and doesn't breathe as well in high temperatures. I usually take long base layers, synthetic t-shirts, nylon shorts/pants, long-sleeve shirt, fleece, jacket, and wool socks and a fleece hat.

Food - All depends on how "gourmet you are". When car camping, just eat what you usually eat as long as it can be cooked on a camp stove. Those rice-a-roni type things work well backpacking as does ramen if you are really cheap. On the trail, I just pack some clif bars and snacks. Oatmeal makes a tasty breakfast. For lunch I like to make ham and cream cheese on a bagel sandwiches.

Other - water treatment (filter or tablets), safety equipment, canister stove
You have to check with individual areas for info regarding showers, reservations, etc. Some tourist towns have hotels that offer showers for a nominal fee.

I have camped in the Moab area a few times. I suggest you simply camp at one of the many areas on River Road. There is easily available water at matrimony springs and the scenery is amazing. I believe the cost was $10 per night.
Hope this helps
Phillip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Awesome gear advice, thanks a bunch.  I'm going to try and make selections tonight based off of reviews I've read and your advice and then post a list.

nma

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:53:13 am »

Awesome gear advice, thanks a bunch.  I'm going to try and make selections tonight based off of reviews I've read and your advice and then post a list.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would say you should tune up your itinerary a bit. Of course it is subjective, but you give very short shrift to Arches and too much weight to Leadville and S.F.  There is a lot to think about: Arches is beastly hot in July. There is MUCH more than Arches. Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands (Island in the Sun) are all within a 1/2 hour drive.  Given the temps, I would suggest an afternoon arival in the area of Moab.  Try too camp in either Dead Horse or Canyonlands (this will be cooler!). Sunset photos at Dead Horse Point and sunrise at Mesa Arch. A quick drive through Arches  (too hot in the day to hike). Then drive on to Bryce Canyon (~ 5 hrs). At 8,000 ft, it is pleasant in the summer (camp there). Drive through Zion, but because of heat I would spend more time as noted above.  It may be tough to find camping in the Valley of Yosemite.  Maybe up on the Tioga Pass road.

Don't underestimate the distances.  Always carry lots of water. There is so much to see. Plan, plan, plan. You never know when you can do it again. Buy the books by Martres on Photographing the Southwest -- the best bargain for a would be photographer.

Hope this helps.

dqniel

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:23:43 pm »

I would say you should tune up your itinerary a bit. Of course it is subjective, but you give very short shrift to Arches and too much weight to Leadville and S.F.  There is a lot to think about: Arches is beastly hot in July. There is MUCH more than Arches. Dead Horse Point State Park and Canyonlands (Island in the Sun) are all within a 1/2 hour drive.  Given the temps, I would suggest an afternoon arival in the area of Moab.  Try too camp in either Dead Horse or Canyonlands (this will be cooler!). Sunset photos at Dead Horse Point and sunrise at Mesa Arch. A quick drive through Arches  (too hot in the day to hike). Then drive on to Bryce Canyon (~ 5 hrs). At 8,000 ft, it is pleasant in the summer (camp there). Drive through Zion, but because of heat I would spend more time as noted above.  It may be tough to find camping in the Valley of Yosemite.  Maybe up on the Tioga Pass road.

Don't underestimate the distances.  Always carry lots of water. There is so much to see. Plan, plan, plan. You never know when you can do it again. Buy the books by Martres on Photographing the Southwest -- the best bargain for a would be photographer.

Hope this helps.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I've already begun making changes to the itinerary based off of suggestions I got on another board that were similar to yours.  I will be making adjustments to shorten time spent in Leadville, try to be more specific with the camping locals in Arches and Zion/Bryce since I'll be spending more time there now, and shortening the time spent in Yosemite because it looks like it'll have to be a day hike since all the backpacking camps on the valley hikes are pretty much full.  I think when I arrive in Yosemite I'll pick a good short hike using this [a href=\"http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hikes.htm]guide[/url] then follow it up with a nights rest and getting up before sunrise to do the half dome hike.  That way we should be able to beat the crowds, make good speed in the cooler temps, and have plenty of time to safely summit and make our way back down in the same day.

I should have the updated itinerary up either this afternoon or later tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up