Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Rear Feed Problems  (Read 11894 times)

englishm

• http://www.pacificlight.ca
Epson 3800 Rear Feed Problems
« on: June 03, 2007, 04:35:29 pm »

My 3800 absolutely refuses to feed from the rear slot. I've followed the instructions to the letter... the sheet (Moab Entrada 300gsm) meets the expected resistance, then slides down into the printer.  I can feel the feed mechanism attempting to grab the paper, but it doesn't seem as though it has a firm grasp.  I've tried setting a custom paper setting, but all to no avail.  I can see that the paper makes it all the way down to the area under the print head... but the printer won't move the paper beyond this point.

Anyone have this problem, and know of a fix?

According the the info in the Moab icc profile instructions, it should be possible to over-ride the Epson chosen feed path (under WinXP), and feed this paper through the top loader... certainly the top feeder has no problem with 285 gsm Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl.  I can't for the life of me see where you can override the Epson chosen paper path as suggested by Moab.

Thanks in advance
Mark English
[url=http://www.pacificligh

mwerbe

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 04:53:56 pm »

My 3800 absolutely refuses to feed from the rear slot. I've followed the instructions to the letter... the sheet (Moab Entrada 300gsm) meets the expected resistance, then slides down into the printer.  I can feel the feed mechanism attempting to grab the paper, but it doesn't seem as though it has a firm grasp.  I've tried setting a custom paper setting, but all to no avail.  I can see that the paper makes it all the way down to the area under the print head... but the printer won't move the paper beyond this point.

Anyone have this problem, and know of a fix?

According the the info in the Moab icc profile instructions, it should be possible to over-ride the Epson chosen feed path (under WinXP), and feed this paper through the top loader... certainly the top feeder has no problem with 285 gsm Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl.  I can't for the life of me see where you can override the Epson chosen paper path as suggested by Moab.

Thanks in advance
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It sounds like your printer is catching the paper okay, I'd recommend trying to print with the back slot over the front slot. I had ink smear all over a print on the hahnemuhle 310gsm photo rag putting it through the front slot by mistake. I'd strongly discourage you from putting heavy paper through the front.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 05:45:57 pm »

What happens when you try to feed from the rear feed? Is the printer giving you an error, or is it just not picking up enough? You have to provide consistent pressure on the top edge of the sheet as you feed it, until the printer picks it up. I have fed sheets of Entrada 300 no problem through the rear feed, so it should be do-able.

It is not possible to override the paper feed settings for the 3800. For instance, if you are using the VFA or USFA Media Types, then you _must_ use the rear feed or front feed. You cannot use the auto sheet feed.
Eric Chan

englishm

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 06:19:56 pm »

What happens when you try to feed from the rear feed? Is the printer giving you an error, [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The printer is indeed giving  me an error (Paper not feeding correctly, or something like that).  The paper is all the way down inside the printer... I can see the leading edge by looking down past the print head... the printer just won't grab and advance the paper under the head and beyond.

It is not possible to override the paper feed settings for the 3800. For instance, if you are using the VFA or USFA Media Types, then you _must_ use the rear feed or front feed. You cannot use the auto sheet feed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right, I though so, but the Moab instructions that you download along with the profile, suggested you could under Windows atleast.
Mark English

mwerbe

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 07:28:08 pm »

The printer is indeed giving  me an error (Paper not feeding correctly, or something like that).  The paper is all the way down inside the printer... I can see the leading edge by looking down past the print head... the printer just won't grab and advance the paper under the head and beyond.
Right, I though so, but the Moab instructions that you download along with the profile, suggested you could under Windows atleast.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Make sure that you have rear feed set up in the page setup for the 3800-Manual-Rear. Also you need to let go of the paper once it catches to have it feed properly.

GregW

• http://
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:19:44 pm »

I had a similar issue but after some trial and error figured it out when trying different paper sizes.  I noticed the problem only occurred when I was using A4 sheets of Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308.  When using A3 sheet of the same paper the no extra pressure is required from me.

1.  You need to feed the paper until the roller springs engage and slightly rebound the paper.

2.  As Eric has already said keep a constant pressure on the paper until the printer grab's it.

englishm

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:11 pm »

Thanks, everyone!

All the settings and feed strategies suggested were ones that I was already using.  What I have learned is that the Rear Feed is a bit tempermental... if the leading edge of the paper is the least bit damaged, the printer will refuse to feed the paper.  I tried a different sheet, and it worked fine.  The original sheet was barely (and I mean barely) distorted on one corner.
Mark English

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 04:36:27 pm »

If you have sheets that are either damaged or not cut straight (e.g., diagonal leading edge), the 3800 can indeed refuse to load it.

One solution is to turn off the Paper Size check in the driver. Hit the Menu button, then Printer Setup, then Paper Size check. Set it to Off.
Eric Chan

wcwest

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:32:59 pm »

I had a similar problem with the rear sheet feeder and MOAB Entrada 300gsm so I ended up using the front feeder until I had a paper jam that left a piece in the feed mechanism. Fortunately, there is an Epson service center in Columbus. I took it in to remove the paper jam and mentioned the rear feed problem. They called me today and had to order a new sensor for the rear slot. I should have the printer back tomorrow. We will see if this fixes the problem.

spherop

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »

I had this problem and seem to have resolved it.

The key is as mentioned above simply maintaing a bit of downward pressure on the sheet as the printer tries to grab onto it. You'll then feel the page slide another centimeter or so inward during the load process - then you know it's all good.

At least it seems to be working now.
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info

englishm

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 03:33:38 pm »

I've taken to laying the sheet on a flat surface, and running the back of my thumbnail along the leading edge of the sheet to ensure that it  is flat, smooth and with no irregularities... this seems to do the trick.  Mind you, it doesn't seem to take a lot of pressure;  I'm not trying to burnish the paper, just flatten any irregularities... seems to work.
Mark English

wcwest

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 06:27:43 pm »

Just picked up my 3800 from Epson repair center with a new paper sensor installed. All problems with MOAB Entrada BW 300 gsm are gone!! I use ImagePrint 7 and set the paper type to Epson USFA. It now loads properly with the Paper Sensor turned on or off

ron ritcher

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 12:14:33 am »

Just picked up my 3800 from Epson repair center with a new paper sensor installed. All problems with MOAB Entrada BW 300 gsm are gone!! I use ImagePrint 7 and set the paper type to Epson USFA. It now loads properly with the Paper Sensor turned on or off
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Glad to hear all's well with your 3800!  But as mentioned in a similar thread, I'm also having problems with the rear-feed slot, and I happen to be using Entrada, too.  Using the Epson driver, the slot works pretty well (once I tick the correct box in "page setup").  BUT, with ImagePrint, I run into problems.  Tell me more about setting the paper type to USFA, please.  WHERE are you doing that?  In IP's "color management"?  I just can't seem to locate any other place it might even be an option.  Thanks a bunch, in advance, for helping me to figure this out!

--Ron

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:00:45 am »

Initially, I was very impressed with just how consistently well the rear feeder worked (compared to the R2400), requiring only slight pressure to the paper. Now it seems to functioning more erratically, is something that I have to pay close attention to and appears to necessitate more vigorous pressure to the paper. I've been entertaining the thought of putting Epson's (on site?) maintenance to the test.
Ralph

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 09:33:52 am »

Tell me more about setting the paper type to USFA, please.  WHERE are you doing that?  In IP's "color management"?  I just can't seem to locate any other place it might even be an option.  Thanks a bunch, in advance, for helping me to figure this out!

--Ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron, the USFA Media Type setting is only relevant if you're printing through the Epson driver. Since you're using ImagePrint, this Media Type doesn't apply. With ImagePrint, you just choose the appropriate profile from the Color Management menu (in this case, ImagePrint's profile for USFA) and that automatically handles the rest. Again, try turning off Paper Size check from the printer's menu (Menu -> Printer Setup -> Paper Size check -> Off) if you're having troubles with the Rear Feed giving you skew errors or some other error.
Eric Chan

wcwest

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 11:57:51 am »

I am using ImapePrint 7 and there is a setting for media type. When you open the "PRINT" dialog there is an option button in the lower left corner. Click on it and there is a drop down list of Epson papers to select from. Just pick the closest to whatever paper you are using.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 06:48:41 am »

Thanks for the update. I was familiar with IP 6.1 where there wasn't a media type setting. I didn't realize this was a new option in IP 7.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up