Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CFV vs P20  (Read 4644 times)

pflower

CFV vs P20
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:30:38 pm »

I use a Hassleblad 503 and am considering buying one of these.  I do mostly landscape and still lives (in macro and close up).  The prices on these two are now arriving at the point where I can pretend that I can justify the cost.  Anyone actually made any comparisons between the two and would care to comment?

I know I shall have to rent both and try them out for myself but I would welcome comments and sugggestions as to what to look for.

I am most concerned about image quality - dynamic range and general impressions about colour etc. but also B&W conversions - a lot of my work is still B&W film.  Less concerned about the purely practical and mechanical issues - but is the cable for the P20 really a handicap?

Also interested in the recent BJP review of the CFV which implies that older 503s need a service in order to ensure accurate focus.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Philip

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
CFV vs P20
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

- but is the cable for the P20 really a handicap?

Also interested in the recent BJP review of the CFV which implies that older 503s need a service in order to ensure accurate focus.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Philip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't find the cable too much of a pain on my 500cm and P25, but I do use the longer multi-sync cable as it doesn't get in the way as much when switching between horizontal and vertical. Still, I like the direct interface of the Hassy back, and wonder why Phase couldn't do the same.

As far as service goes, I saw a huge improvement in focus as well as operation when I finally had my 500c/m serviced and adjusted. These cameras need to be in the best condition possible to maximize the benefits of a mfdb.

Best,

Eric Zepeda
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
CFV vs P20
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:09:44 pm »

why pretend to justify? the backs are cheaper then a 1dsmkII and give you better files! i don't hink you need high iso for macro or landscape, and at 100....no comparison.....i used to have the P20.....great back...the cable is fine, you won't even notice....the problem i had was that the camera all of a sudden shows it age.....high end digital and 40 year old technology on the other.....it will work fine, but.....just my personal opinion.....

blansky

CFV vs P20
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 12:57:14 pm »

I'm also considering the CFV.

There is this thread here for some info:

http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/discus/messages/4/26201.html

Michael

ynp

• http://
CFV vs P20
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 01:43:03 pm »

Dear Philip,
I have been using P20 for two years (as a Rollei DB20 version), on my 6008AF first, than and now on the X-Act view camera. It is a very good back and the C1 workflow is excellent and easy.  Before I got the 6008AF digital bungle with the Phase One DB20 back I used my Eyelike eMotion 22 on a 503 body. Several months ago a friend, a V series user, asked me to loan my eMotion to use on his old 503. I had a foil stack for the V series Hasselblad and a V-adapter (use it on my APLA) and we put the e22 on his 503.  We checked the focus and found the images very soft. The alignment was not right. We tried the very same back on an older 501 body and it was better, but not perfect. I had a spare foil stack and was ready to sacrifice it. My friend sourced a new 503 body in a shop and the focusing got perfect. Now he regularly borrows my back and use it with a great success. We were confused very much. I can be wrong, but I suspect that not all 503 and 501 bodies were built with the necessary tolerances.

Regards,

Yevgeny

I use a Hassleblad 503 and am considering buying one of these. 

Also interested in the recent BJP review of the CFV which implies that older 503s need a service in order to ensure accurate focus.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Philip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ixpressraf

CFV vs P20
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:51:25 pm »

The way I see it is that people are still referring to the Hasselblad backs as they were in the Imacon Era. In those day's Phase was better in colour reproduction but with constant firmware updates, even back's out that time are at least equal to the Phase products.
The CFV is certainly asw good as a P20+ but you dont hear as much about Hasselblad back's because these people are simply using them.
In Belgium, where i live we have the best dealer one could wish for, and therefore the majority of oleugues are using Hasselblad product's.
The no cable in your way is also fantastic in a stressy shooting.
Flexcolour will be completely updated soon and will become a real match for P1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up