Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So zd or another mfdb?  (Read 7942 times)

andybuk99

So zd or another mfdb?
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:36:28 am »

I have been looking at an Aptus 22 and have now seen the ZD kit being sold for basically half of the Aptus' price. My question is for normal studio work are the files from the Aptus going to give substantially better results? If you can give any advice that would be appreciated.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:50:45 am »

Hi
You really have to test them side by side. The Aptus has a much better buffer rate & better software. You have to shoot the ZD at 50 - 100 iso for the best results.  You also have to use Raw Developer over the Mamiya developer. I just shot with the ZD tethered today & the software was easy to use.You also have to like the Mamiya camera system. I use both the ZD & Aptus 22 on the Mamiya platform. For studio use the ZD creates excellent files.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

andybuk99

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:55:41 am »

Hi
You really have to test them side by side. The Aptus has a much better buffer rate & better software. You have to shoot the ZD at 50 - 100 iso for the best results.  You also have to use Raw Developer over the Mamiya developer. I just shot with the ZD tethered today & the software was easy to use.You also have to like the Mamiya camera system. I use both the ZD & Aptus 22 on the Mamiya platform. For studio use the ZD creates excellent files.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113625\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cheers Denis

I always shoot 100 asa anyway and I don't shoot people so buffer rate isnt a problem.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 12:33:46 pm »

If you can give any advice that would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Surely in a studio the ability to use a bellows camera with associated movements crosses the Mam off the list ??

Also the 16 bit gives a lot more flexibility in tweaking the curves on the files

And you will have read about the fragility of the ZD port for shooting tethered

For the price of the ZD you could get a used 'tethered only' back like the H25 or eyelike precision 22 or Imacon  which will shoot four shot or 16 shot and have amazing quality for still life should you require it

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

andybuk99

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 02:04:17 pm »

For the price of the ZD you could get a used 'tethered only' back like the H25 or eyelike precision 22 or Imacon  which will shoot four shot or 16 shot and have amazing quality for still life should you require it

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not here in the UK you couldn't. £5500 for the ZD, if you can show me a eyelike 22 for that price I would bite your hand off.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:05:13 pm »

Not here in the UK you couldn't. £5500 for the ZD, if you can show me a eyelike 22 for that price I would bite your hand off.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok not the same price

but if teamwork have a p25 for £7k then whats the going for a H25

S

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 04:10:52 pm »

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....pe=post&id=2191
This from a fellow LL member about a way to deal with the fire wire port issue.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

andybuk99

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 03:04:56 am »

Ok not the same price

but if teamwork have a p25 for £7k then whats the going for a H25

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where is the best place to get these used units in the UK at those prices, as I have called the main dealers and they are not quoting anything near that.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 03:19:28 am »

Where is the best place to get these used units in the UK at those prices, as I have called the main dealers and they are not quoting anything near that.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"http://www.teamworkphoto.com/used.html]http://www.teamworkphoto.com/used.html[/url]

Good service, friendly people although not really fast in answering their emails (expect a couple of days). I always end up calling them but I just might be one really impatient person
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:20:14 am by Dustbak »

nicolaasdb

• http://
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:44:12 pm »

I have read a couple of tests reviews about the ZD...and I would not buy one! Maybe in a couple of years when they come with an upgrade...but considering that they took about 3 years to come with this ZD..I wouldn't hold me breath. I bought a ds1mII 3 years ago...while waiting for the ZD to come out....and made enough money to buy a Leaf Aptus 65 last year.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 11:08:39 pm »

I have read a couple of tests reviews about the ZD...and I would not buy one! Maybe in a couple of years when they come with an upgrade...but considering that they took about 3 years to come with this ZD..I wouldn't hold me breath. I bought a ds1mII 3 years ago...while waiting for the ZD to come out....and made enough money to buy a Leaf Aptus 65 last year.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114289\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The ZD has been available in Japan for a long time. From the top of my head, more than a year, nearly a year a half.

All the reviews I have read had nothing but praise for this body, what exactly is it you didn't find encouraging in the reviews?

Cheers,
Bernard

nicolaasdb

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 02:50:19 am »

I read the system was slow and there was considerable purple fringing, it was only 12bit at 22MP

you can buy 22MP systems at 16 bit for just a little more.

I am not saying the ZD is a bad camera...but for fashion photography it might be to slow and quality of images might be lacking a little.

for about 4K more you will have a leaf or phase back! More Mp's and more bits

BernardLanguillier

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 03:02:59 am »

I read the system was slow and there was considerable purple fringing, it was only 12bit at 22MP

you can buy 22MP systems at 16 bit for just a little more.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That "just a little bit more" is in fact 3 times more in Japan, and twice more in the US...  I guess that you are speaking of P25 and A22, right?

Purple fringing is lens dependant. It is true that there is some level of that with some lenses, but that is also the case with other lens systems.

I agree that for fashion, the ZD is probably a bit slow, but the initial poster is looking for normal studio use.

Finally, 12bits is a spec, not an output charactiristic of the camera. I am yet to see a comparison that shows that there is an actual downside compared to the other supposedely 16 bits backs. All the comments I have seen were from people owning more expensive backs claiming that there must be some explanation for the price difference...

I am not saying the ZD is a bad camera...but for fashion photography it might be to slow and quality of images might be lacking a little.

for about 4K more you will have a leaf or phase back! More Mp's and more bits
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

4K more will only give you a smaller sensor of an older generation with 16MP, meaning no wide angle capability worth mentioning. Probalby not a problem with fashion, but a clear show stopper for many applications.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 03:07:39 am by BernardLanguillier »

andybuk99

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 03:43:49 am »

Thanks for the responses.

I of course would go for a back if the prices were around the same as the ZD (£5500) but they are just not available in the UK. In fact the Leafs are starting around the £10k mark. As I said before used backs are not even available around that price.

I really would be interested about results from side by side tests of a 12 bit and 16 bit chip.

As it is general commercial work I do in the studio and on location, the buffer problem doesnt affect me.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 03:44:50 am by andybuk99 »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 05:21:51 am »

I of course would go for a back if the prices were around the same as the ZD .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please understand that I am sure the ZD is a great camera but

I dont know how you are financing it but say you mentally divide the cost over 36 months

a £9000 purchase will be only £111 PCM more than £5000 of ZD

Add in I would guess a depreciation over that period of 75% for the ZD and 50% for a phase and the gap closes even more

My big lesson in MF was that I knew that the best tool for me was a 22mp and an H1

But I only had CASH for a Kodak Proback and Mam 645, six months later I was an MF junkie and sold the Mam Combination at a big loss, then getting the H1/22mp combo that I knew I wanted all along

It would have been far cheaper for me to get what I absolutely wanted initially by financing the difference in cost

Your choice.  but I would say finance the correct tool for your business

SMM

BernardLanguillier

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 07:10:57 am »

Please understand that I am sure the ZD is a great camera but

I dont know how you are financing it but say you mentally divide the cost over 36 months

a £9000 purchase will be only £111 PCM more than £5000 of ZD
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Independantly from the ZD question, this kind of reasonning can justify just about any un-needed purchase.  

The OP could also buy some more lights or studio equipment with these £4000.

Regards,
Bernard

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 07:29:09 am »

Andy,

if looking to get set up with a medium format digital studio could an H20 fit into the equation as the need is for a studio based camera so tethered is an option (and perhaps better anyway)..they can be found for around £3500 including vat etc here in the uk at that above mentioned london dealer..leaving lots of cash for lenses, lights, etc...and a further option here which is really important for studio based work is this gives you the option of using digital capture on a 54 camera with all its inherent movements for studio work...an option that can lead you towards more jobs.

this (relatively) cheap digital starting option means all your other investment in lenses, etc is future proof as when this back starts to make you money you can then simply upgrade it keeping your current camea platform, lenses, etc.

marc
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:30:35 am by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 07:44:39 am »

Quote from: andybuk99,Apr 22 2007, 03:36 AM
My question is for normal studio work are the files from the Aptus going to give substantially better results?

hi Andy
I am not sure how the aptus compares to the zd not having used it myself. Though, after reading Michaels review it looks like it is as good quality wise than any other 22mp back out there for NORMAL studio work. If price is a consideration, as it was for me, then I think it is a no brainer. I have not been let down in the 10 months that I have had mine. In fact the ZD back has been released at such a low price in my part of the world that I am tempted to buy one to fit my AFD body as a backup. The quality is all I need and the 10 shot buffer has only rarely held me up. But apart from that, for me it is just a 'nice' camera to hold and it handles very nicely and is well balanced. What works well too is the fact that you can select three focussing points. Works particularly well when the camera is mounted on a tripod. The easy mirror lift on top of the body is another plus
good luck
Ivan

yaya

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 08:44:36 am »

As suggested by many (including myself), the best way forward is to put the two mentioned side-by-side in your studio.

Andy if you can borrow a ZD I'll bring the A22 in on an AFDII so you can test both with the same lenses etc.

This will leave you with the financial element, but at least you'll know for sure which system is more suitable for your work.

If you're looking for a tehtered-only solution then a refurbished Valeo 22 goes for less than £8K. and it'll go on LF camera etc...

Yair

nicolaasdb

So zd or another mfdb?
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 02:56:42 am »

I agree with everybody...but how is the upgrade possibility?? With my canon ds1mkII there isn't one!! I dropped 8K (US) and it is gone!!
With my Leaf A65 back I just pay the difference between the old and new back and I got a brand new back! If the camera is your tool...you can take out a business loan! Or lease it! I just think that if you want to MF...you almost got to go for the best Phase one or Leaf or maybe even the new H3D (selling in the states as a complete system for 18K US.
Pages: [1]   Go Up