Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS  (Read 21182 times)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 02:53:15 am »

For the adapter system.....go hasselblad.    
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

... Or Sinar!

Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

nicolaasdb

• http://
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 02:57:25 am »

love my LEAF APTUS 65 and wouldn't want to change to Phase one...even if they paid me!! And I am not saying Phase one isn't good...the images quality is great!!...but the system isn't for me!

I don't like the leaf software...but didn't like the Nikon software or the Canon software....I only use Photoshop...and the new CS3 bridge is great!!!....and shooting tethered....who the hell want the client open his YAP and bitch about each images that shows on the monitor.....it is much better for them to see a couple of images so they can give me actual feedback by telling me that they like this  from this image and that from that image....so I can work with it and get them what they want!
But that is just me.

Both systems suck!!! They are too expensive and the preview LCD is world war 1 quality!! The systems are slow and the output is okay....but just okay!

The only reason I went for Leaf is that I finally had my film look back in my images....and the sales rep. really helped me out saving me 6 weeks of rentals before my own back was available.

Hopefully the S is coming out soon.....so I can finally shoot at the same speed as with my beloved ds1mkII.

Stop hating.....

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 04:23:26 am »

Do you know an Aptus back needs more Firewire Voltage than the Valeo?  I speak the truth I have seen as to inform others as I have been informed by this forum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

This is interesting I just did a shoot using a repeater for the Aptus 22 on a Mamiya 645 AFDII & had no problems. I was also shooting as fast as I could. I was shooting tethered into a G5 Quad on 8.3.4. With the repeater it was the best experience I have ever had with the Aptus 22!
    Last year I had a challenge with LC10 may 06. I was having too many crashes. We went to 8.3.4 and it would not work. What I found out is that you can't go backwards. I had my ZD as backup however the studio kindly let me use there Aptus 22 on a H2 which worked well. The shoot was a success & it gave me the opportunity to compare the Hasselblad & Mamiya 150 mm lens. Anyhow you have to have BACK UP.
  Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40:52 am »

Quote from: mcfoto,Apr 18 2007, 09:23 AM
Do you know an Aptus back needs more Firewire Voltage than the Valeo?  I speak the truth I have seen as to inform others as I have been informed by this forum.

Last year I had a challenge with LC10 may 06. I was having too many crashes. We went to 8.3.4 and it would not work. What I found out is that you can't go backwards.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113025\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Hi Denis.
Can you please confirm something... are you saying that you can't alternate being tethered between LC10 and LC8?
I have done it a couple of times and had no problems, but I was wondering if this is considered a bad practise? Is this the official recommendation from Leaf.
Thanks for you input.
Andrew
Andrew
 ht

Boghb

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 05:25:53 am »

Yaya

With all due respect, your responses skirt the issue:

Are Leaf backs generally reliable enough, so that a photographer who has access to only a single back can take it on an assignment without too much anxiety about the back failing catastrophically?  

If the answer is yes, then you should explain why this user's experience is unique and should not generally reflect on Leaf products.  Since the user has not publicly identified himself, that gives you the opportunity to rebut his statements on technical grounds without disclosing private information.

It may be the case that no manufacturer can make that claim about the reliability of their products.  Then say so, or give us some statistics about failure rates that rebut this user's claims.   But make your arguments on substantive grounds.

Instead, you responses appear defensive and try to discredit your customer on personal grounds.  This is unnecessary, and makes Leaf appear to be grasping at straws.

Besides, beating up your customer in public is never a good idea from a marketing perpective.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 05:28:56 am »

Quote from: AndrewDyer,Apr 18 2007, 03:40 AM
Last year I had a challenge with LC10 may 06. I was having too many crashes. We went to 8.3.4 and it would not work. What I found out is that you can't go backwards.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113025\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Denis.
Can you please confirm something... are you saying that you can't alternate being tethered between LC10 and LC8?
I have done it a couple of times and had no problems, but I was wondering if this is considered a bad practise? Is this the official recommendation from Leaf.
Thanks for you input.
Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Hi
We went from LC10 to 8.3.4 & it would not boot up. Then we went back to LC10 & it would not boot up ( because we went backwards?). After that experience I stayed with 8.3.4 which is very stable tethered. The digtital operator liked LC10 so we gave it a go which was not a wise decision at the time. LC10 is now up to version 4. Iridient Raw Developer is currently working on a tethered program to support Leaf & maby Canon. Other systems could follow in the future. Maby Yair could help us out here with this technical question.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 05:42:31 am »

I've been finding the recent release of v10.0.4 update 3 to be stable, and have started integrating it into my smaller shoots. On big high profile jobs, I still go for v8.4.6 and find it very stable, aside from something retarded happening such as when an assistant puts a 20+lb. sandbag on the fw cable.

On any high profile shoot, testing the connection is one of my first and top priorities. If there is any issue, replacing the fw cable and/or trashing the prefs usually solves the problem. Rarely, do I have to reinstall the software. In any event this is done long before the client is on set.

Ideally, a capture station should be just that: capture only. I have had problems on systems where apps are crashing right and left (C1 Pro too...), and you discover that permissions haven't been repaired, or the hd is almost full etc. Blaming the software for poor system maintenance is a weak excuse, and on a big shoot this is simply unacceptable.

I have alternated between v8 and v10 with no problems more than a few times. I would be curious as to the official stance as well.

Best,

Eric Zepeda
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 06:56:11 am »

Same here, I have switched between 8 and 10 numerously without any problems. Currently I only use 10. It has been a major improvement stability wise.

I know about the adapter systems

When I go for another system it will be the lack of an adapterplate system with Leaf and not so much any other issue. Maybe the software as well but sofar I can manage to workaround it if necessary. It would be nice when that is up to the standard you might expect.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:58:42 am by Dustbak »

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 09:47:58 am »

I love my Leaf back but I think the Leaf software is a joke. I and others in the group have said as much in the past. I've switched over to Lightroom for post and have not looked back. I still don't have a solution for tethering which will force me to look in Phase's direction when I'm ready to upgrade unless Leaf get's their act together. I'm not holding my breath.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

troyhouse

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 10:59:53 am »

Oh I'm not some troll. I'm the real deal with plenty of  experience.   And, although the original post seems to be from a troll the story of his seems to be grounded in truth.    First the Leaf Rep calls out the original poster ,and now you try to say I'm to be discredited knowing nothing of me because you think my post SEEMS similar to his? Thats pretty weak Troy.   Do you know what a UPD file does?  Have you spoken many times to Rick and Pat at leaf America?  Do you know an Aptus back needs more Firewire Voltage than the Valeo?  I speak the truth I have seen as to inform others as I have been informed by this forum.

Congrats on being the "real deal", hard title to get these days, still waiting for my certificate.

Do you know what a UPD file does?  
YES
Have you spoken many times to Rick and Pat at leaf America?  
YES
Do you know an Aptus back needs more Firewire Voltage than the Valeo?
YES

And the reason the original poster was called out was he took something from a private forum and reposted it here without permission from the site or the author. To make matters worse, he edited the quote to make his point sound worse than it was. Pretty much as unethical as you can get.

JTFOTO

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 11:28:53 am »

Eric,

Before you start slagging, read the post properly, the part of the CF card is there!  I copied the WHOLE STORY you schmuck!

I am a valeo user!  So I have no reason to rag on LEAF, but I did have an Aptus and had to return THREE times!  So now I rent and no longer need to assist.  Believe what you want about Canon.  I was there.  What they release may be different.

I COPY AND POSTED THIS SIMPLY SO PEOPLE COULD KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON.

My initials are JT and anyone who know the NYC market knows who I am.  It is quite simple actually.

James Russell

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 11:37:12 am »

And the reason the original poster was called out was he took something from a private forum and reposted it here without permission from the site or the author. To make matters worse, he edited the quote to make his point sound worse than it was. Pretty much as unethical as you can get.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I personally agree that somene should not  have copied and pasted from a private to public forum without permission and it is logicial to asusme there are agendas at play which is all too familiar when it comes to digital capture.

Agenda or not, the sword cuts both ways.  The dealer and manufacturer reps go on these forums to sell product so they also open themsevles and their product up to critique.  

Still, this doesn't erase or change the fact that the person mentioned and others have these issues when working tethered with Leaf and attacking the messenger doesn't make the problem go away.  

What I don't understand is why Leaf doesn't repsond quickly to the posts on their own forum and I won't give any information away, but as a Leaf and Phase customer, I know I would like a post of a problem attended to rather than passed over or ignored.

If a tech rep from Leaf had responded  immediatley with the steps they are taking to research the problems and the fixes and give  workarounds they suggest to not have these issues repeat again this type of post  would have been diffused immediatly and it would have been a non story.

Maybe all of the issues posted on the Leaf Forum are attended to in a private rather than semi-public matter, but the casual observer will never know thisl

I think Dave Gallagher at Capture integration is onto something with his blogs.  

IMO Leaf could/should have easily followed suit and made a blog showing how to connect an I-mac to an Aptus/ H-1, what if any powered firewire bus is needed and how to go from v10 to v8 in case of a software corruption or problem.

On Dave's blog's there is a section on how to upgrade Capture One from 3.6 to 3.7 to avoid issues with the plus backs.

This type of proactivity is a much more positive way to get ahead of the issues, rather than attacking the messenger.

It's no secret that for a lot of phtoographer's that shoot in volume Leaf Capture 10 has been problematic.  It's also not a secret that many Leaf users have gone to third party software to work around some of these issues.

Rather than ignore, or worse just cut snippets out of posts to try to prove a point, a real informational blog or pdf explaining how to get in front of these issues and integrate Leaf Backs with third party solutions would be benificial.

It seems to me that in some parts of the mfdb world there is a your with us or against us attitude and that makes no sense at all to me.

IMO

JR
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:39:59 am by James Russell »

JTFOTO

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 11:40:05 am »

Bog,

Thasnk for stiking by what I was trying to do.  Simply to inform!

Troy,

I copied to entire quote nothing was out of context or unethical!  Do I need to do a Screen SHOT or did you already delete the post.  That story was probably your problem and you masked it as another shooter to save face with LEAF.

Eric Z,

100% agree that your capture station should be just that.  The machine should have only capture software and PS.  A second internal disk as a scratch disk and you should perform a Disk Warrior weekly or monthly at the latest.

I have never had one problem with my valeo other than I have to shoot tethered with a bulky brick underneath my camera.

Troy,

If you are offended that i copied the story, well then I am sorry.  But don't post anything to the internet you do not want made public.  WWW does stand for the WORLD WIDE WEB.

JTFOTO

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 11:43:08 am »

I DID NOT EDIT THE POST ON THE LEAF FORUM.

IF LEAF OPENED IT UP THEN THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THAT.

ANOTHER WAY TO BASH THE MESSENGER.  WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT THE COMPANY!?

awofinden

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 11:49:52 am »

Seems to me that the photographer should have had a back up, thats fair to say, but it's also fair to say that they had big problems with a 30 grand piece of kit. I'm glad posts like this come up to keep us, the photographers informed about problems we may encounter with pieces of kit that cost us so much. Isn't that what this forumn is for? Who are we protecting by not posting about these issues? Leaf maybe a small company with only 50 people working for it but I can gaurantee that its a hell off a bigger company than any of us. I keep hearing about companys "looking into" issues and going to be updating software in the "near future" to eliminate problems but to me thats just not good enough. It's funny that they don't tell you about the known issues before you buy. I can't seem to find anywhere on the leaf website where they advertise green screens on the A65.

troyhouse

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 11:50:27 am »

Bog,

Thasnk for stiking by what I was trying to do.  Simply to inform!

Troy,

I copied to entire quote nothing was out of context or unethical!  Do I need to do a Screen SHOT or did you already delete the post.  That story was probably your problem and you masked it as another shooter to save face with LEAF.

Eric Z,

100% agree that your capture station should be just that.  The machine should have only capture software and PS.  A second internal disk as a scratch disk and you should perform a Disk Warrior weekly or monthly at the latest.

I have never had one problem with my valeo other than I have to shoot tethered with a bulky brick underneath my camera.

Troy,

If you are offended that i copied the story, well then I am sorry.  But don't post anything to the internet you do not want made public.  WWW does stand for the WORLD WIDE WEB.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113081\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I've been in NY 15 years and have yet to have the honor of finding out who the mysterious JT is. Seldom do photographer/assistants become so notorious.
 In your first post you stated you have a p25, now its a valeo 17. Love to know why the switch aand are you happier with the valeo than the p25?

JTFOTO

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 12:00:05 pm »

Love the Sarcasm!

My very first back was a Valeo 17 and still keep it s a back up.  AS YOU or excuse me YOUR FRIEND should have done.  I then bought a P25.  I then sold it to get into the Aptus.  BIG MISTAKE. During the three months of ownership and three backs.  Got my money back and now reallly battling with what to get.

If you don't know JT don't worry.  I am not offended, it's OK Troy.

Very nice work on the Plaza stuff by the way.  Very nice gig.  All shot with your trusty Aptus and H1 gear.

See compliments can go around as well.

troyhouse

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 12:05:47 pm »

Love the Sarcasm!

My very first back was a Valeo 17 and still keep it s a back up.  AS YOU or excuse me YOUR FRIEND should have done.  I then bought a P25.  I then sold it to get into the Aptus.  BIG MISTAKE. During the three months of ownership and three backs.  Got my money back and now reallly battling with what to get.

If you don't know JT don't worry.  I am not offended, it's OK Troy.

Very nice work on the Plaza stuff by the way.  Very nice gig.  All shot with your trusty Aptus and H1 gear.

See compliments can go around as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's really hard to compliment an anonymous photographer who refuses to share who he is.

RicAgu

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 12:08:39 pm »

Wow it is getting uppity in here.

I am happy people are letting us know what problems they are having.  As someone said, isn't that part of what these forums are about.

He should have asked permission.  But it is not like he leaked some new Canon secret    

I am Happy PhaseOne owner on my H1.  Although I would like to use my RZ.  Oh well, for now.  I did get the waist level finder for the H1 and it has helped on horizontal shots.

Can't we just all get along?  

David WM

MAJOR APTUS PROBLEMS
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2007, 12:16:08 pm »

Yaya

Are Leaf backs generally reliable enough, so that a photographer who has access to only a single back can take it on an assignment without too much anxiety about the back failing catastrophically? 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113030\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think we need to keep the fault in perspective. The back did not fail, it did the job. There was a connection issue which could have been the fault of many links in the chain, the mac, the cable, the connector in the back ( maybe the connector is well used and has wear/abuse), or the software. If maintaining the view of the shoot for the crowd is so important then everything in that chain needs  back up.   An assistant (or client) could have tripped over the firewire cable and wrecked the fw connector in the back. This was a frustration which I am familiar with and I understand how annoying it is, although it has not happened to me in such scale.   Nothing is going to be perfect all the time, but I do find that most problems happen if I stress and don't treat the gear with enough respect.
The main thing is getting the shoot done, and the gear on offer now has options. I like the fact that my eMotion 22 can shoot tethered, to internal storage or to CF.

David Morcombe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up