Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asset Manager for FlexColor  (Read 2818 times)

TimothyHyde

Asset Manager for FlexColor
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:51 am »

I am a new FlexColor user and want to work these CVF images into my normal workflow and asset management system.  I'm also about to select an asset manager that will allow me to browse, track and store images across a number of drives.  Neither Portfolio nor IView currently support the .fff format.  Light Room and Bridge aren't much help either--as a browser or DAM.  Any suggestions?   I'm looking for a long-term solution, so I can be patient.   Thank you.

TimothyHyde

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:08:54 am »

I mean CFV, of course.

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:03:50 pm »

Most MFDB users are IMHO the ones who need and use DAM systems to their full extent, and are willing to pay a high price for a good system with integration across the board, and multiple functions for tracking, automation, indexing, keywording, etc.

The .fff files are no exception, and its useless to get a DAM system to properly catalogue them. Extensis Portfolio does have some limited support:

http://www.extensis.com/en/support/kb_arti...eNumber=1602205

Lightroom and bridge will support the .dng files exported from Flexcolor, but the raw conversion is IMO not very good, with more noise and worse color. You cannot convert the .dng back to .fff so make sure you keep the .fff file.

Hasselblad needs to either give FlexColor (in the next iteration) a lot more of the functionality we see in lightroom, bridge and aperture, or preferrably, give the biggest players in DAM software the info and money they need to get .fff support into the software professionals use.
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

TimothyHyde

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:31:39 pm »

Quote from: godtfred,Apr 15 2007, 03:03 PM
Most MFDB users are IMHO the ones who need and use DAM systems to their full extent, and are willing to pay a high price for a good system with integration across the board, and multiple functions for tracking, automation, indexing, keywording, etc.

The .fff files are no exception, and its useless to get a DAM system to properly catalogue them. Extensis Portfolio does have some limited support:

http://www.extensis.com/en/support/kb_arti...eNumber=1602205

Thank you, Godtfred.  Unfortunately, Portfolio's limited support is MAC only.  Sigh.  I don't need a lot of image-processing or raw conversion functions, just browsing and cataloging ones, so I can store, rate & keyword, search, or retrieve FFF files in their native format along with other formats (NEFs, scanned TIFs, etc) from the same shoot.   Maybe PS3 will offer a stopgap remedy.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 05:47:07 pm »

I don't need a lot of image-processing or raw conversion functions, just browsing and cataloging ones, so I can store, rate & keyword, search, or retrieve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I simply create a directory of all images shot on a date these are then stored on ofline HDs (eg jan-mar07) (two copies one offsite)

I then have an 'online archive' of some small(ish) jpgs of the shoot keyworded and searchable on my 'main machine'

So I find the jpg, which leads me to the date and if a RAW or TIff is required I grab the suitable HD

It happens that my main machine is my web server so clients and self can search/access the jpgs globally but that is a different story

SMM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:49:03 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up