Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting in/around Malaga Spain  (Read 5534 times)

DonWeston

Shooting in/around Malaga Spain
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:13:49 am »

Would like to see Alhambra if possible, am planning to take usual stuff, 5d, 20d[as bu body] 24-105, 70-300 usmII is, 35mm L. table top tripod. What else MUST I bring if anything? I know plenty of memory and flashtrax, but what else, do I need wider then 24mm, longer then 480mm equilavent?

More importantly what do I need to see, shoot, where and when to go for best light. Family and I will be staying in a resort about 20 miles west of Malaga, 2 miles from coast, believe in Mijas. Will have small car for driving around but will be based overnite at resort, so no long 1-2 day jaunts from base. I plan on going out in early morning maybe down to coastal areas nearby, but what else and specifically where. Also where to go for late light shots.  Also what can we expect from weather this time of year. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Don

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 04:46:44 pm »

Would like to see Alhambra if possible, am planning to take usual stuff, 5d, 20d[as bu body] 24-105, 70-300 usmII is, 35mm L. table top tripod. What else MUST I bring if anything? I know plenty of memory and flashtrax, but what else, do I need wider then 24mm, longer then 480mm equilavent?

More importantly what do I need to see, shoot, where and when to go for best light. Family and I will be staying in a resort about 20 miles west of Malaga, 2 miles from coast, believe in Mijas. Will have small car for driving around but will be based overnite at resort, so no long 1-2 day jaunts from base. I plan on going out in early morning maybe down to coastal areas nearby, but what else and specifically where. Also where to go for late light shots.  Also what can we expect from weather this time of year. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've visited Granada only briefly, so I can't help much. Alhambra is definitely something you wanna visit. Shooting is another matter, as it's one of those places which has been done a trillion times already. YMMV.

One thing I'd recommend being on the lookout are the bulls by the roadside on highways. You'll know what I mean when you see one or two.

Weather should be nice, 20 maybe up to 30 degrees Centigrade during the day.

DonWeston

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 04:53:24 pm »

I've visited Granada only briefly, so I can't help much. Alhambra is definitely something you wanna visit. Shooting is another matter, as it's one of those places which has been done a trillion times already. YMMV.

One thing I'd recommend being on the lookout are the bulls by the roadside on highways. You'll know what I mean when you see one or two.

Weather should be nice, 20 maybe up to 30 degrees Centigrade during the day.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the headsup on the bulls. sort of like bison in Tetons and Yellowstone, although in this case I will make sure I keep a bigger distance. In our parks we had a good size SUV, in Spain, we will have a Focus size car,   And do not want to have any overseas insurance questions upon returning it.  I know Alhumbra has been done loads of times, and with family along just want to get what I can get. Was thinking about taking my 20mm lens with me for inside, also want to know about use of a tripod inside, is it allowed or not, and if not could I get by with a table top tripod without getting asked to leave prematurely.

Woodcorner

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:19:41 pm »

Thanks for the headsup on the bulls. sort of like bison in Tetons and Yellowstone, although in this case I will make sure I keep a bigger distance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Don,
you might be surprised, but the bulls will probably be bigger than you expect. They might easily be taller than 20 yards. As feppe said: "You'll know what I mean when you see one or two."

Enjoy Spain. It's a fascinating country!!!

Cheers,

Andrew

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:30 pm »

Thanks for the headsup on the bulls. sort of like bison in Tetons and Yellowstone, although in this case I will make sure I keep a bigger distance. In our parks we had a good size SUV, in Spain, we will have a Focus size car,   And do not want to have any overseas insurance questions upon returning it.  I know Alhumbra has been done loads of times, and with family along just want to get what I can get. Was thinking about taking my 20mm lens with me for inside, also want to know about use of a tripod inside, is it allowed or not, and if not could I get by with a table top tripod without getting asked to leave prematurely.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bet you're not allowed to use a tripod. In any case, using it is pretty much out of the question due to heavy crowds - although this time of the year it's a bit less crowded than it was in June when I was there. The palace itself is especially crowded, and you have a pre-determined time window when you can enter to keep the flow of people manageable. Outside that time you are free to roam other parts of the complex.

I'm sure tabletop tripod is fine, though. Just don't look like a pro when you go in

OnyimBob

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »

More importantly what do I need to see, shoot, where and when to go for best light. Family and I will be staying in a resort about 20 miles west of Malaga, 2 miles from coast, believe in Mijas. Will have small car for driving around but will be based overnite at resort, so no long 1-2 day jaunts from base. I plan on going out in early morning maybe down to coastal areas nearby, but what else and specifically where. Also where to go for late light shots.  Also what can we expect from weather this time of year. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's a shame you couldn't arrange to spend a night or two in the Alhambra itself - there used to be a small hotel called Hotel America and another parador (government owned guest house) both very nice and right inside the complex. You get to have the whole wonderful place to yourself at night, and if there's a full moon you think you're in heaven! Mind you that was 15 years ago, might have changed??
Understand also that in summer it get's VERY hot down that way. My recollection is that anywhere is great for photography, however, with the wrong weather conditions the smog can be quite oppressive. A little village called Guacin up above Gibralta has an old Moorish Castle ruin above it and an almost pristine Roman road leading away down the mountain over beautiful meadows. I stayed there for 10 days in 1992 so perhaps it's all changed - then again maybe it hasn't. Whatever the case, with a car you can explore all you want, and you'll be guaranteed to find  something to charm or fascinate. Have a great trip!
Cheers,
Bob
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:57:29 am »

More importantly what do I need to see, shoot, where and when to go for best light. Family and I will be staying in a resort about 20 miles west of Malaga, 2 miles from coast, believe in Mijas. Will have small car for driving around but will be based overnite at resort, so no long 1-2 day jaunts from base. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some good days out from Mijas are:

Ronda: this town is the home of bullfighting. Has a great bridge (that has been photographed to death, but that's not a reason not to take your own shot. You can get views from both sides)

Pueblos Blancos: In the area around Ronda there are may White Villages that provide good photo opportunities.

Seville: Would mean getting up early, but worth it. The cathedral and surrounding area are very interesting.

Have fun and make sure your car has airconditioning.

DonWeston

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:55:11 am »

Some good days out from Mijas are:

Ronda: this town is the home of bullfighting. Has a great bridge (that has been photographed to death, but that's not a reason not to take your own shot. You can get views from both sides)

Pueblos Blancos: In the area around Ronda there are may White Villages that provide good photo opportunities.

Seville: Would mean getting up early, but worth it. The cathedral and surrounding area are very interesting.

Have fun and make sure your car has airconditioning.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the advice, both Ronda and Pueblos Blancos sound very enticing and will visit them. There is no doubt a trip to Seville would be great, how about a train ride  instead of driving from Malaga/Mijas area? does this make any sense, especially for someone NOT familiar with the locale etc? Doable in as a day trip? Thanks again for the advice. Don

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 06:21:12 am »

There is no doubt a trip to Seville would be great, how about a train ride  instead of driving from Malaga/Mijas area? does this make any sense, especially for someone NOT familiar with the locale etc? Doable in as a day trip? Thanks again for the advice. Don
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Train sounds a good idea! Malaga to Sevilla takes about 2 1/2 hours. Have a look here for times/prices/booking: [a href=\"http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html]RENFE[/url]

DonWeston

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 07:27:47 am »

Train sounds a good idea! Malaga to Sevilla takes about 2 1/2 hours. Have a look here for times/prices/booking: RENFE
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the link and headsup... will look into this, am also toying with idea of taking prime  lenses instead of zooms to save weight and size, besides they tend to be a stop or two faster, any ideas? Some great info, it is appreciated....

Giedo

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 11:42:41 am »

I visited Granada last february. A lovely city! Ýou might also consider Cordoba. It is still really spanish and the Mezquita is really unique.

Have fun!
Giedo
Giedo

DonWeston

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 04:29:39 pm »

I visited Granada last february. A lovely city! Ýou might also consider Cordoba. It is still really spanish and the Mezquita is really unique.

Have fun!
Giedo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hey Giedo - sounds good, can you give me some more info about the Mezquita? How far by car or train is Cordoba from Malaga area? Thanks for the suggestion. Don

Giedo

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 05:15:09 pm »

Hey Giedo - sounds good, can you give me some more info about the Mezquita? How far by car or train is Cordoba from Malaga area? Thanks for the suggestion. Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Don,
I was in Granada and from there it was almost 2 hours up north (beautiful drive). So from Granada, it'll be about 3 hours. Just about the same I think as Sevilla.
Attached some impression (from around town and inside the Mezquita) I took (with a Canon G7)
Giedo

DonWeston

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 02:03:16 pm »

Don,
I was in Granada and from there it was almost 2 hours up north (beautiful drive). So from Granada, it'll be about 3 hours. Just about the same I think as Sevilla.
Attached some impression (from around town and inside the Mezquita) I took (with a Canon G7)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Giedo - thanks for the inspiration with your great images, G7 no less. I have one also, and may take it as a 3rd camera, in addition to the 5D and 20D. Wish it took 511 batteries like the Pro 1 did.  Thanks for the time approximations for these trips. Want to see so much, but don't want to rush too much also. Always a battle on vacations. Have heard much controversy about going to Morrocco. What are some of the opinions here, as a day trip on the ferry. Does it make a difference whether you go by yourself or with a tour group. Have heard from several sources the latter is better, but traveling with two teen age daughters, I am very guarded in my thinking. Thanks for the info, Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up