Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 80/2.8 Xenotar Vs 90/4 Symmar  (Read 4323 times)

Mort54

• http://
Schneider 80/2.8 Xenotar Vs 90/4 Symmar
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:42:35 pm »

I'm almost ready to submit a request for quote for a Sinar Hy6 system (I'm also going to be getting a quote on a Mamiya system, but that's another subject).

I know pretty much what I want quoted, with the exception of a normal lens. Do I go with the Schneider 80/2.8 AF-Xenotar or the 90/4 APO Makro Symmar? Comments from anyone who owns, or who has owned, either of these lenses would be greatly appreciated. Obviously there's a big price difference, but other than that, what's the reputation of each lens on sharpness, contrast, bokeh, and color rendition. Also, if anyone could point me to any photos taken with either lens, that would be icing on the cake.

Thanks,
Hans.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 03:19:47 pm »

I'm almost ready to submit a request for quote for a Sinar Hy6 system (I'm also going to be getting a quote on a Mamiya system, but that's another subject).

I know pretty much what I want quoted, with the exception of a normal lens. Do I go with the Schneider 80/2.8 AF-Xenotar or the 90/4 APO Makro Symmar? Comments from anyone who owns, or who has owned, either of these lenses would be greatly appreciated. Obviously there's a big price difference, but other than that, what's the reputation of each lens on sharpness, contrast, bokeh, and color rendition. Also, if anyone could point me to any photos taken with either lens, that would be icing on the cake.

Thanks,
Hans.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
i owned both lenses...both are schneider: simply amazing....sharpness, contrast, color...it's all there...
obviously the 80 is a stop faster and has AF and will most likely come in the package anyway....the best 80mm out there..in any system...a small, semi fast universal lens....as with all schneiders, no problem to use it wide open...
the 90 is also great.....light for its size....great macro...with DMF the 90 definitely is more in the short tele category....i used it for portraits.....just a touch longer then the 80....
there was a rumored 100af macro which (so far) was supposed to replace the 90....
you can't go wrong with either....you will want to have both....but if you only get one....get the 80....much more universal, will probably be free with the body....and get the 90 later....
there is also a 80/f2 MF schneider, never used it....

i would be surprised to see/hear anything negative about either one of these lenses...neither really has any competition from any system out there...

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:26:51 pm »

hello,
new to this forum, but I was in your postition a few years back when switching to mfdb.
I choose the rollei system based on the schneider lenses, and the 90 was the key.
I  went about a year and got the 80f2 for when the f4  90 wasn't wide enough.
If you go with a digital back I would strongly suggest the 90mm as main lens.
to get close to the quality of this lens with the 80f2 or f2.8 you would need to be down to close to f4
anyway..I found the f2 just a tad soft at f2..well in comparison to the 90f4 at least.
I can't really address the focal lengths you need for what / how you shoot.
I've had comments from 4/c printers asking how I created the files I supplied, and these guys were used to 8x10 drum scanned 8x10's, all from that 90mm f4... this lens will take you to the next generation chip..no I am not employed by sinar/rollei.
paul

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:11:09 am »

The 90mm is utterly fantastic! A very good lens indeed. For portraits I tend to use the Carl Zeiss 110 f2 - it's kinder to the subject as the 90 is hyper detailed as you'll probably find out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up